• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Live hash rosin is all the rage around here, at least for those seeking the highest quality dabs. I got drawn into it these last few weeks and spent some time researching and seeking out sources. As I understand it, live hash rosin is quite expensive because of the number of steps and time needed to make it. Prices range here from $60 up to $90 for a gram, with $70 being common. I picked a couple samples up and think they are very nice, but not so earth-shattering to pay twice the price compared to a live resin or a cured badder. I guess I'm not sure if my senses are sharp enough to notice the difference in taste or effects if they exist.

A number of suppliers here have a large selection of very tasty looking live resins for around $30-$35, and if they have hash rosin the options are few and expensive. I may stick with seeking out the quality cured badders and live resins and save on my wallet. They still provide me with an excellent high with great flavors. Hell, I bought some shatters for $20 a gram recently that tasted great too.

My sentiments exactly. Sounds like the selection and prices in my area. I have not yet spent the big bucks on the live hash rosin available either, because of the price.

Don't you have a Vapman? Concentrates work well in that. Ok, it's not a "true" dab but it works well with the sieve - and they (the sieves) are relatively cheap ($8-$10) and are pretty easy to clean.

Yes, I do have a Vapman, but I don't yet have the sieve to try. I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually.

florduh

We just got butane extractions in Floriduh, so I've been vaping more live resin than hash rosin lately. It's been a long time since I've had a hydrocarbon extraction so I've been liking the novelty. Live resin can absolutely compete with hash rosin in terms of taste. I do find the effects to be a little blander with the solvent extracts though. Enough to justify the price differences? Hard to say.

I've been chasing my dabs with a little lower temp convection flower hit. Great way to get a rounder entourage effect. Cashing flower hits with a cartridge hit is a nice, fast, and clean (no q-tip) route to the Full Spectrum too.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hash rosin tastes and hits much closer to vaping herb in my experience. But it’s hard for almost anyone to get stoked about $100 grams; they have those here still as well, but now we can get lower grade rosin for $40 that’s still pretty enjoyable.

If my tolerance was lower I doubt I’d notice the difference though. Me and my old buddy Biohacker determined that with low enough tolerance, even distillate effects will be perceived deeply.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
We just got butane extractions in Floriduh, so I've been vaping more live resin than hash rosin lately. It's been a long time since I've had a hydrocarbon extraction so I've been liking the novelty. Live resin can absolutely compete with hash rosin in terms of taste. I do find the effects to be a little blander with the solvent extracts though. Enough to justify the price differences? Hard to say.

I've found plenty of very good live resins around here as well, in just about any consistency you could want.

And shatter, holy crap, I can get it for around $12 - $15 a gram now on sale (occasionally less than $10 if you watch for sales). Shatter is basically the lowest quality of extract you can get around here...and I remember in Texas, where shatter was considered to be top quality product to have access to.

I've been chasing my dabs with a little lower temp convection flower hit. Great way to get a rounder entourage effect.

I often do the same. Have a dab every hour or so, and maintain the high in-between with convection flower hits.

If my tolerance was lower I doubt I’d notice the difference though. Me and my old buddy Biohacker determined that with low enough tolerance, even distillate effects will be perceived deeply.

This is true. With low enough tolerance even ditch-weed can be enjoyable.
However, I very much hate the low-tolerance period after a break. I always do everything I can to get past that as quickly as possible.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Had 70g of 6 months old BG c99 which I decided to process. Jared at around 62% and after 6 months the jar humidity was still at 62%. No boveda packs were used at all.

I have generally squished between 25%-27% with c99. So average of 26% say.

In the past I have favoured hand packing as I believed my dp 30mm pre press reduced output, contrary to the general view.

So this time I decided to conduct an experiment with this very small sample.
I also wanted to try some 37 bags to compare with my usual 90.
So I split the 70g of cleaned buds into 10 7g lots.
3 X 90 bags pre pressed (21g)
3 X 90 bags hand packed (21g)
4 X 37 bags pre pressed. (28g)

Results were quite interesting.
90 bag pre pressed resulted in 5.1g return - 24%
90 bag had packed resulted in a 5.1 g return - 24%
37 bag pre pressed resulted in a 6.5 g return - 23%

All squishing done on my home made set up, 3*5 inch plates, 90c with 60 sec pre squish and 2 min squish up to 2 t on my gauge.

My conclusions.

I shall continue to pre press as it's quicker and easier but I'm not convinced it increases returns significantly if at all. It may help reduce blow outs but I've not had a blow out since the first few presses when I first started (except for below).

Difference between 37 and 90 bag return is minimal. I did blow the first couple of 37 bags but adjusted my technique and last 2 were intact. Just had to increase pressure more incrementally. Not an issue.

Not convinced I can taste the difference between the two but this may be more significant if fresher.

I will endeavour not to keep herb so long before processing but if this is not possible the only disadvantage would be loss of some colour and possibly some loss in taste (or a transformation of the taste to a different profile as the herb has cured longer).
I think this rosin tastes more spicy and a bit more hash like. It's not as nice as less cured c99 but still very tasty and better than some flower much fresher.

Anyway, some pictures.....

IMG-20220331-160809.jpg

Oozing out even after 6 months in the jar!

IMG-20220331-165317.jpg

IMG-20220401-152907.jpg

37 bag on left. Quite dark although my camera is pants. It was very toffee like in texture initially.

IMG-20220402-115856.jpg

After 24 hours curing. Lightened up and texture is now more butter like, much easier to manage.

I will now split into 2g packs and into the freezer.

A question if I may. I generally squish 7g in 2 by 4 inch bags. I want to start doing 2 bags at once. Do I need to increase the pressure on my gauge as I'm now pressing 2 bags? If so by how much? Had a trawl but got a tad confused.

Have a great weekend folks....

encinas88

Check out the Apollo by Linx Vapor. This thing rips, and because it uses an inlaid quartz atomizer it definitely builds on taste. It also fits on any bong or can be used in portable mode but definitely beasts many other concentrate vapes on cloud and taste.

encinas88,
Reactions: LesPlenty

encinas88

Seems expensive for a device with only 4 temps that would only be variable voltage...is there a thread on them?
It has a manual mode so you can add more heat by pressing down the button this way your not relying on the 4 temps. Not sure about the thread but we should start one. It is pricey but the two modes functions, quart atomizer and the manual function make it fun to have but I would check to see if its on sale for 4/20.

encinas88,

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Check out the Apollo by Linx Vapor. This thing rips, and because it uses an inlaid quartz atomizer it definitely builds on taste. It also fits on any bong or can be used in portable mode but definitely beasts many other concentrate vapes on cloud and taste.
This should be moved as not applicable here.

But a question. What does this give to a user that a separate mod combined with say dtv5. Such a combo is replaceable and can be used for other purposes.

Chicken No Name,

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
A question if I may. I generally squish 7g in 2 by 4 inch bags. I want to start doing 2 bags at once. Do I need to increase the pressure on my gauge as I'm now pressing 2 bags? If so by how much? Had a trawl but got a tad confused.

Have a great weekend folks....
In case it helps anyone else.

Yes. Double the pressure you use for a single bag.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
No chicken... that may have worked for you in the past, but you are better off following formulas if you want to be precise. It matters how you package for your pucks, shape, size, etc.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
No chicken... that may have worked for you in the past, but you are better off following formulas if you want to be precise. It matters how you package for your pucks, shape, size, etc.
??
Confused. I have worked it out. I have the area of the puck and the amount of tons on my meter to reach required psi. If I double the area by having two pucks I need to double the pressure to reach same optimum psi.
No formula required to determine if I double the area I need to double the force to result in same psi on the puck(s). Common sense.

I am using 2 inch bags. Pucks are circular so area is pie r 2. So my pucks are 2.4 inch sq.

Optimum psi is say 1600 psi. If my puck is 2.4 sq inches I need 2 t of pressure to give me 1666 psi (4000 lb / 2.4).
If I increase puck dimensions by adding a second i have increased the surface area by X 2.
By my workings it now needs 4 t to achieve same psi.

I have already detailed my process of packing just above (by hand or by pressing pucks) makes little to no difference in my experience. Perhaps I was hand packing very well.

So please clarify why it isn't double the pressure or which formulas you are using.

And not sure what you mean it 'might have worked in the past'. I haven't done it yet, hence the question.

Last edited:
Chicken No Name,

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
:hmm:I did a 2x 25g bottle tech puck and just doubled my usual pressure for 1, the yield was the same from memory just a pain to do and parchment paper is the only extra thing used so I have never bothered again.
Exactly. I'm also confused by @FlyingLow reply.
I shall wait till FL provides more details in formulas and how I should be doing it. Every day is a school day :D

Chicken No Name,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
For 420 sake I stopped at a local dispo today and picked up some live resin on sale. Around here you usually don't get to see the actual product your buying, just a picture sometimes and a description. I see now that the consistency is several large diamonds in a sauce. I've not had this type before and my understanding is the sauce is full of cannabinoids minus the THC so it won't get you very high but has lots of flavor, while the diamonds are where all the THC is located so they can be overly powerful. Am I correct on this? If I want some balance in my hits, is it a good idea to use a dabber and smash those large diamonds into gravel so it's more dispersed throughout the sauce?
I'm happy because the aroma is tremendous! Happy 420!

Last edited:

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
What to do with used rosin pucks. One option:

(Ive posted this in edibles but worth mentioning here also I think.)

Had a years worth of rosin pucks I've stored in the freezer. No idea how many 7 g pucks I had so this isn't very scientific. Let's say 100 split into 2 jars.

Froze these and 2 litres of iso for 24 hours.

Added iso to jars and swirled for 30 secs and dumped in strainer.

After a few days evaporating in the sun covered with a cloth I was left with a few grams of sticky concentrate. Say about 5 g which in my opinion was worth getting.

I had no desire to vape this as I have rosin for this.
I wanted to turn this into sleeping pills.

Scraped into a pyrex jar and added to a oil bath at approx 150c. Decarbed until all bubbles stopped.

Anyway, here's how they look.

IMG-20220504-135619.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to extract from the pucks. Perfect for edibles imo.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Froze these and 2 litres of iso for 24 hours.
I freeze trim ready for bubble hash as it helps the trichomes to break off the plant matter...is freezing helping at all with squashed bud in a puck?

I still have every 10g puck I have ever pressed vacuum-sealed in 5 full mason jars that I was thinking of just pouring the iso into the mason jars and running it in a water bath in my ultrasonic cleaner to try to extract anything left, I was even thinking about heating to 30-40c in the UC as it works to help get things moving.

I want to make some butter/oil for some lecithin brownies with ABV flour as well to try and get some sort of buzz from an edible (yet to happen).

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
@LesPlenty
I freeze the material to minimise any water/moisture extracted with the iso. My understanding is iso quickly strips water and with it chlorophyll easily. By freezing everything and working quickly You can minimise the amount stripped out. This is as per the qwiso technique.
You can then winterize the iso extract mix to remove fats but I didn't bother as for edibles.

Might be worth doing a few experiments as you have so much material. Ice cold and quick compared to slow and warm.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Haha if it is the blusky from amazon then yeah it was probably me! I don't really fuck with cold start dabbing unless I have to like with Sai and Qomo, hot start dabbing is just so much simpler for me with tiny dabs, not the most efficient use of butane, but I do like fully cleaning the banger each time as I heat it up this way... Anyway I guess we should move this conversation to the beginners dabbing thread lol Glad you're enjoying!

Well I picked up a Rio finally to give cold start dabbing the fair shake it deserves!

Top Bottom