• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I just saw this video, and thought it looks convenient to dab without a torch. What do you experts think?
Is this a good alternative, or should I stick to the tried and true method of torching?
I use this method more than a torch and nail. Some people get nervous when you break out a torch.
The Nail method will definitely get you there quick. But this is nearly as good. I can use it with any glass piece with GonG fitting.
sT8hyW0.jpg

Here I'm milking 2 bubblers with the Persei/ 7.4v KISS cart.
Possibilities are endless... Here it is with my old Fumed Flower Steamroller..

Bouldorado

So I tried this with my homemade vape:

00goUzj.jpg

It didn't work at all, even on the highest heat setting. This vape gets hot enough to combust a bowl of flowers 1" away and the element was successfully used in an e-nail. I think the issue is just that the heat is concentrated towards the bottom of the element.

dNY9iUv.jpg

It worked great when the nail was slid ~1/4-1/2" from the top, but at the very tip it melted the oil and didn't vape, just as it did tonight using the element alone.

I measured the temp with my IR gun and got a reading of 650-700 in the middle half of the element. That's the ideal setting for an e-nail, so I think this method would work great with a hotter element.

slvelocity

Hi guys me again with another question lol..

I bought some nogoo containers to store some shatter in. I stored it overnight and today I noticed there's some white substance that formed on the part of the shatter that touched the container. The white is smooth feeling... and completely not sticky like shatter is. I didn't wash the containers before using because I read they came pre washed already.
0mGGH0j.jpg

slvelocity,

farscaper

Eek... thats rather odd.... what strain? Ive seen containers cause shatter to wax... so that might be this... but that looks really weird... what color was the container?

farscaper,

slvelocity

Eek... thats rather odd.... what strain? Ive seen containers cause shatter to wax... so that might be this... but that looks really weird... what color was the container?

It was yellow. BlackBerry og shatter.

They're all soaking in iso now and I'm gonna wash them. Sigh I dunno why I bother anymore. Shouldve stuck with my ssv pick and plastic containers :doh:

slvelocity,

farscaper

It was yellow. BlackBerry og shatter.

They're all soaking in iso now and I'm gonna wash them. Sigh I dunno why I bother anymore. Shouldve stuck with my ssv pick and plastic containers :doh:
Word. I gave up and went to parchment folded in a ziplock.... its really not any worse than a silicone cup with lid IMO

slvelocity

Word. I gave up and went to parchment folded in a ziplock.... its really not any worse than a silicone cup with lid IMO

Now that you mentioned parchment... The shatter oddly was discolored on the part the touched the parchment too. At least i think its parchment... came from the dispensary. Except instead of white like the pic the dark brown shatter just got lighter brown... and less shiny. Is this a sign of low grade shatter?

slvelocity,

farscaper

Now that you mentioned parchment... The shatter oddly was discolored on the part the touched the parchment too. At least i think its parchment... came from the dispensary. Except instead of white like the pic the dark brown shatter just got lighter brown... and less shiny. Is this a sign of low grade shatter?
Then most likely this is degradation caused by some excess moisture in the concentrate. I noticed that when using the slick stackers the degeradation turned like crack rock white some times. On parchment it tends to simply turn opaque in color and turn buttery. Seeing as how i can tolerate a lil butter but hate the crack crumble I elect to stick with the parch. Also. .. on parchment you can store it in its natural form. Think about how you have to handle your product to fit it in the tin. When you fold it up your folding air pockets into it. Those then cause your concentrate to degrade.

If you read nothing else read this. It is well known that butane and silicone react. If your concentrate reacts with its silicone container violently. ... you may want to question your dispenser about purging... just saying....

slvelocity

Then most likely this is degradation caused by some excess moisture in the concentrate. I noticed that when using the slick stackers the degeradation turned like crack rock white some times. On parchment it tends to simply turn opaque in color and turn buttery. Seeing as how i can tolerate a lil butter but hate the crack crumble I elect to stick with the parch. Also. .. on parchment you can store it in its natural form. Think about how you have to handle your product to fit it in the tin. When you fold it up your folding air pockets into it. Those then cause your concentrate to degrade.

If you read nothing else read this. It is well known that butane and silicone react. If your concentrate reacts with its silicone container violently. ... you may want to question your dispenser about purging... just saying....

I indeed read your whole post since I find you quite knowledgeable lol. I always pay someone the respect of reading a response meant for myself. But I don't know anything about the process so I don't know what purging means other than my dispensaey put out some shabby quality shatter here.

It was 30 bucks a gram fwiw. First time trying shatter cause I wanted to see what the fuss was. I'm typically a wax guy and probably won't be buying shatter again. It's so hard to handle and I don't notice a difference in effect compared to wax. I'm kind of more relieved it's the shatter and not the nogoos lol

farscaper

:
I indeed read your whole post since I find you quite knowledgeable lol. I always pay someone the respect of reading a response meant for myself. But I don't know anything about the process so I don't know what purging means other than my dispensaey put out some shabby quality shatter here.

It was 30 bucks a gram fwiw. First time trying shatter cause I wanted to see what the fuss was. I'm typically a wax guy and probably won't be buying shatter again. It's so hard to handle and I don't notice a difference in effect compared to wax. I'm kind of more relieved it's the shatter and not the nogoos lol
What I call shatter I can handle.... like snap a piece off like glass candy, roll it in a ball with my fingertips...

Is it sticky and stringy messy?

farscaper,
Reactions: 2clicker

slvelocity

:

What I call shatter I can handle.... like snap a piece off like glass candy, roll it in a ball with my fingertips...

Is it sticky and stringy messy?

String sticky messy precisely lol

@horst nope no scope here. I'm science stupid unlike some of u guys making wax at home lol

slvelocity,
Reactions: Whisper

farscaper

String sticky messy precisely lol

@horst nope no scope here. I'm science stupid unlike some of u guys making wax at home lol
:disgust: Sticky yucky

There is hope..... you need to warm it up and purge out residual butane.

If u have a pancake griddle you can place parchment directly on it or use pyrex like a 9x9 to keep the parchment from the griddle surface. It will also help diffuse and stabilize the surface temp. The key is to spread the concentrate as thin as possible here. Set it for around 200 and place it on. Be patient and watch for bubbles. They should be popped.

slvelocity

:disgust: Sticky yucky

There is hope..... you need to warm it up and purge out residual butane.

If u have a pancake griddle you can place parchment directly on it or use pyrex like a 9x9 to keep the parchment from the griddle surface. It will also help diffuse and stabilize the surface temp. The key is to spread the concentrate as thin as possible here. Set it for around 200 and place it on. Be patient and watch for bubbles. They should be popped.

I unfortunately don't have the luxury of using the oven for these purposes since I have housemates but I appreciate the advice. Sounds really simple too damn.. what's exactly the negatives if I just dab as is?

slvelocity,

farscaper

I unfortunately don't have the luxury of using the oven for these purposes since I have housemates but I appreciate the advice. Sounds really simple too damn.. what's exactly the negatives if I just dab as is?
Negatives? Taste and if its tainted it will continue to butter. Try it if it isnt that bad. U can always throw it on a vape bowl if all else fails.

I used to just warm up my slick stack silicone containers on like a candle warmer... sometimes called a mug warmer. U could try that too if ur really trying for that shatter lol.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Mine is a consistency that seems to change- I was camping this weekend and during the hot day, it was a stringy mess. However, when it cooled at night, it would break off like glass. When it is at temp somewhere between the two, it stretches some, then snaps off.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I have the same issue with consistency changing. I purge in a thin film In a Pyrex dish floating in an EFP (electric frying pan). I try to keep the water temp @ or below 120F. I pop all bubbles until I see no more.
Then scrape together and place in freezer for a short time to make it easier to remove from blades.
After a few days it either slowly begins to turn to crumble. No matter if in parchment or a silicone jar.
Some batches change less, some stay a little "moist" (sticky).
Not sure why. Humidity (lots here)? Brand of 'tane? Strain?
Going to try Capital n-Butane today with the same strain that I have just run with Power5x. I will see if the results are the same.

farscaper

Mine is a consistency that seems to change- I was camping this weekend and during the hot day, it was a stringy mess. However, when it cooled at night, it would break off like glass. When it is at temp somewhere between the two, it stretches some, then snaps off.
Just like laffy taffy. Bust open a cold pack. Hard as a rock. Bust open a piece that has been in ur pocket for like an hour and u cant get it off the fucking wrapper.

So thats more of a "phase change" as opposed to a problem with purge.

So yea thats an idea if its just sticky messy .... maybe its just warm. Pop it cold spot or the freezer to harden. But if its waxing at room temp then there is probably an issue.

tuk

If you get the chance, check out traditional concentrate in the form of outdoor hash.

Modern concentrates might be stronger but good hashish has a much better...not sure how to describe this but maybe a more co-ordinated high, the different elements of the stone being more blended, complimentary not frenetic like some modern indoor products.

Much of the imported hash being sold in the west is low quality, better to buy at source, there is good hash to be had in southern Spain because Morocco is nearby but its expensive, in Morocco the quality is exceptional and very cheap if you know where to go. Quite a few places in the Himalayas, pakistan, india, afghan & great places to get high!

There is something about good quality hashish grown under the sun using trad methods ...some of these vendors are using 100g of bud to make 1g of lovely hash.

Taster of vid below: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Racjd5A8IDg&feature=youtu.be&t=26m22s

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer

ive been using a piece of sliksheet just like, but instead of parchment. and instead of a ziplock they get "filed" into a jar. i like this best so far.

this

Last edited:

farscaper

ive been using a piece of sliksheet just like, but instead of parchment. and instead of a ziplock they get "filed" into a jar. i like this best so far.

this
I got lazy and just left the last weeks batch out in the folded parch just sitting under my rig. It did start to butter.... but there is still some moisture in this white widow I think. But actually I just try to use all my concentrate stash before I run more. If I had a bunch of strains id prolly go mason jar too. The zip lock works though.... but glass is better.

farscaper,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Super excited my new nail coming from Chief Cottonmouth. I just got shipping info, and hope USPS picks up soon.

However, I do find it aggravating to pay for 2-day shipping and only to have the retailer wait a week to ship my order. This is NOT USPS's fault for the late delivery- it is squarely on Chief.​

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Roger D

farscaper

Super excited my new nail coming from Chief Cottonmouth. I just got shipping info, and hope USPS picks up soon.

However, I do find it aggravating to pay for 2-day shipping and only to have the retailer wait a week to ship my order. This is NOT USPS's fault for the late delivery- it is squarely on Chief.​
Yea they are slow. Took that long for something I paid 400$ for too. Said their shipping guy was out.... then usps actually tried to deliver my domeless nail to the wrong city.... so some of the blame may lie uppon the shoulders of usps.

farscaper,
Top Bottom