Concentrate Pen Upgrade Options?

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
Hey FC! I'm looking for some advice and I know I will get some interesting recommendations here.

Maybe not necessary, but here is a summary of my current tools:

Underdog Log desktop vape. Love it, use it all the time, its the best! I have recommended UD products to random stoners for years now. For portable flower vape needs I have an Arizer ArGo. It is a solid performer, although perhaps a little finicky with regard to how your material is ground. It has served me pretty well. Even though I have stuck to flower only for years and years, I have finally come around to appreciating the flavor and high one can get from live resin.

I dipped my toe in the water with a standard size Terp Pen. It is a solid little device, and would probably be perfect for occasional use, but as I have been leaning towards concentrate use for the last several months, it has unintentionally become my daily driver. Things don't really like about this device - I don't really like the whole coil system. If the coils lasted a few months as claimed in marketing materials, this would be less of an issue. It may somehow be partially up to my technique or the fact I hit the thing multiple times a day, but it really seems like sometimes a coil tastes pretty bad after a few weeks. And flavor goes downhill fairly significantly after a day or two.

When it comes to my personal preferences, ease of use is huge, as is flavor. With those priorities in mind, what might you suggest as an upgrade to the Terp Pen? I have considered the Terp Pen XL, thinking that the other coil type might lead to better flavor, but if not, I'd rather try out another product instead. I have considered the Puffco Plus, but my research leads me to believe that is not much better than what I'm using now, and costs a fair bit more. The Lookah Seahorse looks... interesting. If it has better flavor than the Terp Pen then I might be game, but it is another system that relies on buying replacement coils, which I would rather avoid if possible.

I also considered the Puffco Peak Pro, but I'm not sure about it. It is kind of pricey and I'm a tad wary that I'll regret my purchase when an updated model comes out, or if I get clumsy and break the glass and have to pay $100 for a replacement. At $350, instant heat up would be nice to have. Plus the charging dock is an additional cost. If the Pro was like, $200 I would probably be less hesitant. All my whining aside, I would rather splash out to get a device I end up loving rather than spending $200 on something that is ultimately disappointing. Buy once, cry once, and all that.

So! Any hidden gems of the vape world that I should be looking into? Let me know!

indicandescent,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
if I get clumsy and break the glass and have to pay $100
I have a spare glass piece coming that was under US$40,
1632886527341.png
Or similar to standard for US$25,
1632886578402.png
charging dock is an additional cost
I just ordered a wireless charger for under US$4 and it is easy to remove the Puffco Peak Pro from (Puffco version is stuck/clipped on),
1632886668748.png
I also got a spare ICA (Insert Changeable Atty) from JCVap that I actually use instead of the original(that is now the spare). The Quartz atty cost me just under US$50 and now has about 300 dabs on it(the PPP counts your dabs)
I have the quartz version and like it so much that I have ordered the SiC version as well.
I have a few different options for concentrates (hit my spoiler tab for the list) and feel the PPP is the best all-around device that I would recommend to someone that does not want to buy a heap of different parts to get set up like my daily driver for example.
My daily driver would need a DNail Halo, dab surface choice, joint choice, PID controller choice, coil heater, carb cap and bong choice etc.

Last edited:

darbarikanada

it sounds like you're ok with non-portable. troy @ 420 vape zone is a huge fan of the rio stache. you could also just use a banger; a lot of people who are very attuned to optimal flavor say that's the way to go. it's cheap too - you can get a banger/carb cap/pearl from DHgate for <$20. mod-based devices are popular with people who go through a lot of concentrates. it's a huge topic, and the chip shortage at the moment is complicating matters. the newest(?) thing in mod-based devices is dishes using materials like silicon carbide (SiC) that aren't heated by a coil underneath: the entire dish heats. if they're properly polished and you get the mod settings right (big if), you get huge, tasty rips and it's easy to clean, can even 'self clean'. divine tribe's 'V5', which is about to come out of beta, seems like one to watch. I've personally only used a pen and banger for live resin, so I can't speak from experience about the other things I mentioned.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I would kind of avoid pricy units like the Puffco Peak, unless you like the features it offers, they are overpriced IMO unless you get a good deal. If you don't mind spending the money, I was very interested in the upcoming unit by Fadespace.

Personally I would recommend looking into "Wax Pens" it's not a term used often here, but their is a whole sub reddit page dedicated to these devices that I like to lurk sometimes. https://www.reddit.com/r/Waxpen/

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Fuck pens..
They have a use...nothing more sneaky than a quick puff on a pre loaded terp pen or quaser...and fuck butane, vaping dinosaurs, all my vapes are now run off solar (and only 10 Chinese kids died making my LiFePo4 battery)!
I would kind of avoid pricy units like the Puffco Peak
Buy once cry once...my Puffco Peak Pro cost me less than what 5x packs of rolly tobacco would cost here and has been damn good so far (325 dabs on the counter).:2c:

LesPlenty,

scy123

Buy once cry once...my Puffco Peak Pro cost me less than what 5x packs of rolly tobacco would cost here and has been damn good so far (325 dabs on the counter).:2c:

No opinions on the Pro, but my original came out to cost way too much after getting the accessories I wanted. And it seems (from what I understand) the bms let the battery reach too low a voltage and no longer powers on or charges. Fixing it would be a np probably, but the hassle is large and quite a few people would not want to attempt it.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I try to steer clear of V1 anything...the battery is my only concern with the PuffcoPeakPro but too many reviews from peeps that own all the rigs loved the Pro version and I am now seeing why.
Edit...I have a wireless charger coming so I can try to keep the PPP between 50 and 80% charge a bit more easily. The unit shows how far it is charged by changing colors as it gets filled back up.

LesPlenty,
Reactions: scy123

scy123

I was actually considering the PuffcoPeakPro, but the features of that Fadespace unit seems very compelling. A full DNA 250c chip (cream of the crop) Along with dual 21700 and a form factor that can fit in your pocket (maybe lol) just calls to me.

scy123,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
A V1 pre-order for US$500, not for me!
Let the guys who get them for free play with them first at that price!

LesPlenty,
Reactions: scy123

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
They have a use...nothing more sneaky than a quick puff on a pre loaded terp pen or quaser...and fuck butane, vaping dinosaurs, all my vapes are now run off solar (and only 10 Chinese kids died making my LiFePo4 battery)!

I hear ya on those lithium battery factories!

I cant deny the ease and discretion of a decent cart, but IME wax pens and terp pens alike suffer from atomizers that are a bitch to get perfectly clean and impossible to clean thoroughly between loadings. The only thing that matters though is effect. The same amount of concentrate never takes me to the same place as a real setup.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
most are shit, with a few exceptions and decent brands in each state.

much of the US market has been saturated with poor 'fake' carts packaged in ripped off packaging. Take BrassKnuckles or Rove, for examples.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: LesPlenty

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I hope I will be able to try a cart one day...one day:(

Gonna start making my own rosin carts, I recently tore apart an AVD cartridge and was pretty content with the internals; cotton was not charred whatsoever and the stainless steel parts seemed suitable.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
most are shit, with a few exceptions
That is why it is good to buy your meds from reputable dispensaries...that sounds like a great thing to be able to do in a lot of countries now.
Gonna start making my own rosin carts,
I got a dozen or so 'Thick Oil' quartz atties for my Quaser pens as they were only about $2ea to experiment with rosin and iso-derived concentrates. Interested to see how you go, I think @shredder had a fair experiment with the idea...probably a thread buried somewhere. :tup:

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
So it sounds like @LesPlenty is quite satisfied with their Peak Pro and feels that it is a worth purchase.

And I'm hearing @FlyingLow suggesting to move away from electronic devices and towards open flame with the Rio. I have heard that nothing quite compares to an actual glass banger dab and that attempts to recreate the experience with gadgets does not quite offer the same experience. I have never experienced a "traditional" dab. I like that the Rio seems to be an all-in-one solution to a dab rig, and I appreciate that it is less spendy than the Puffco.

I would maybe consider trying out a Rio, but I have young kids at home. I don't mind having a dab pen more or less in plain sight, but I honestly feel a bit like an actual drug user having such paraphernalia around. Something I'll have to think about. I do like that it is not quite as expensive as the Peak Pro; looks like I can get one from a reputable retailer for about $150 after coupon.

Any other options I should be considering?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
If price is a factor I would also say to go with the RIO, it is not similar to a traditional dab, it is a traditional dab just on a nicer form/function with less danger than a normal butane torch heated banger hanging off a bong...I just do not like butane especially trying to find well-refined quality stuff that does not clog the jets in your lighter.:2c:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
FWIW, if you are not a fan of the flame, you can easily pair the RiO with an enail. Any cheap enail will do.

Note, I am not all die-hard butane- I just fucking hate atomizers.
I am also rockin Dnail and MaxVapor nails at home :rockon:

darbarikanada

I just fucking hate atomizers.
do you think there aren't any good pocket-sized concentrate devices? I have a linx pen, which is okay, obviously not as good as my banger, but have been wondering if one of the newer sic cup mod-based devices might be an improvement (and I'm not even sure the sic cup ones are better other than being easier to keep clean).

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
'good' is so subjective... but I find that I tend to need more concentrate on portables than I ever require on a nail/banger/etc.

I find them less efficient and messier as they boil off or splatter before reaching a stable temp. And flavors tend to suffer by end of day without cleaning.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
@indicandescent, I love my little Terp pen and have few back ups saved. But I agree that they're really not meant to be a DD. The xl doesn't have the ratings that OG does. They are great for quick hits on the go. The flavor stays bpretty good as long as you don't let the coil go dry. You have to feed it every second hit.

I use concentrates every day, but can't handle massive dab hits at one time. Also, I generally like some cooling from a bubbler. I turned to erigs because of the all-in-one setup and ease of use. I searched around and ruled out the pricey ones and also those that use a coil atty. I settled on the Core erig and love it with the Ti buckets instead of shitty coils. It has become my DD for the past 6 months. The only problem is I don't know who sells them right now. PIU is sold out and so is Matt at DV. For around $150 they are a steal.

I am also waiting on the V5 by DV as it looks very promising, although it is hard to beat my little Core.

Finally, another fun method is vaping concentrates in a Dynavap stem using an induction heater.

florduh

I am also waiting on the V5 by DV as it looks very promising, although it is hard to beat my little Core.

I'm pretty sure Matt said he's making v5 atty's for the Core. Not 100% on that though. How's the temp control on the Core?

I'm interested to see how the v5 turns out. I've been looking for a pocketable crucible/banger style waxpen for years. I have the M22, but can't really recommend it to people who aren't really well versed in ecig mods until their proprietary mod is shown to work. In its current form, it does work though. Quick tasty hits off of polished SiC. But it's hard to get temp control to work because current mods were never made to energize SiC.

This is market dependant, but nothing really beats a hash rosin cartridge for portability.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm pretty sure Matt said he's making v5 atty's for the Core. Not 100% on that though. How's the temp control on the Core?

I'm interested to see how the v5 turns out. I've been looking for a pocketable crucible/banger style waxpen for years. I have the M22, but can't really recommend it to people who aren't really well versed in ecig mods until their proprietary mod is shown to work. In its current form, it does work though. Quick tasty hits off of polished SiC. But it's hard to get temp control to work because current mods were never made to energize SiC.

This is market dependant, but nothing really beats a hash rosin cartridge for portability.

That would be awesome if the V5 fits the Core! I know that he made a sic bucket that fits, and all Core buckets are also interchangable with Sequoia cups. I think Matt has an edge right now since the Crossing Sai and Sequoias don't seem to be stocked anywhere. I don't know if the reason for the shortage is the shipping or the lack of chips bullshit.

You are limited with temp control on the Core. There are basically two temp settings that work with the buckets. I don't know what the actual temps are, but I love the flavor and clouds I get on the white color setting and have just left it there. It will go through a session mode or you can simply press and hold the button for the length of hit you want.

I do have a drawer full of sai shit, Divine Tribe v3 and 4, a motar, and some Yocan cerum crap that I've used with a pico 75w. None compare to the ease and quality of hits I get from the Core. Maybe it's just me, but I love the fucking thing. If giving suggestions for the next gen model, I'd say more temp control and maybe a slightly larger bubbler. However, it kicks ass right now.

A good source to see the various erig varieties is the Senior Stoner guy on Youtube. He unboxes and uses new rigs almost every other day. His content leaves something to be desired (IMHO) and it bugs me to watch how he takes a hit without clearing the carb. He hits a rig like he's puffing on a hookah. I can't watch it. But his site is a library of electronic concentrate vapes.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
He hits a rig like he's puffing on a hookah.
Yeah, he barely draws any vapor in...reminds me of a kid having their first smoke!
Did you also note which rig he prefers over all the vapes he has...Puffco Peak Pro, I have well over 400 dabs on the PPP counter and have only cleaned the ICA atty twice.
I only prefer my DNail SiC halo due to it being more efficient and uses way less q-tips between dabs. Being able to burn it clean every day with the Auber PID controller is great...quartz bangers are a pain compared.

Top Bottom