Coil lifespan

Joie de Vivre

How come the coils in eg Dreamwood Glow or TInymight don't need regular replacing like in glycerin tanks (or is the wire being replaced needlessly with the wick then)? Anyone. Thanks.

Last edited:
Joie de Vivre,
Reactions: Summer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
They are totally different, tank coils are thin metal coils, tinymight doesn't even use a coil, it is steel ribbon in the shape of a spiral with ceramic posts... Glow also uses kanthal specifically for its coil-based heater, which is thicker to help it last longer, and a metal alloy that is specifically designed to withstand this type of use... You have to replace those other coils, because they are thin and shitty, and because of how you are using them, getting them hot enough to burn red hot, when you use similar style vape coils not only is it good metals thick gauge it is also typically not using them hot enough to glow, like the case with stainless steel coils or mesh rather in other similar pure convection on demand 510 based vapes... Does that make sense? Depending on if you use different coils in your glow or stem pod and how you use them, they actually may need to be replaced over time, but yeah you never need to replace the heaters in like TM or RBT or Tetra or similar vapes generally...

Joie de Vivre

Yes, thank you. Does that dictate that I shouldn't try a non-native pre-wound coil in a 510, to resume my efforts at TC on-demand, without knowing a fair bit to help me specify? I was presuming that a reasonable quality thick sub-ohm coil should be safe. Specifically I keep putting Stempod aside but since removing the original coils and cack-handed efforts at replacing them I have never given it a fair crack. Only a cack crack, we might say. (I still have the originals, that I don't think are a problem to put back in.)

Joie de Vivre,
Reactions: Summer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes, thank you. Does that dictate that I shouldn't try a non-native pre-wound coil in a 510, to resume my efforts at TC on-demand, without knowing a fair bit to help me specify? I was presuming that a reasonable quality thick sub-ohm coil should be safe. Specifically I keep putting Stempod aside but since removing the original coils and cack-handed efforts at replacing them I have never given it a fair crack. Only a cack crack, we might say. (I still have the originals, that I don't think are a problem to put back in.)

Sorry I can't say for sure, I'd recommend checking out the stem pod thread for more information, if that is specifically the vape too, I don't know anything about using these types of coils myself because I don't like to build them and replace them haha so I just know what I was saying about the ones that don't need replacing, if you want to build your own coils or try to use pre-made coils there are definitely a lot of people who have success doing that with glow and stem pod here and in other forums? Good luck!

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Actually e cig coils are not glowing red when in use – or at least they shouldn't be. And Kanthal is actually the most used alloy when it comes to pre made coils.

E cig coils are often much thinner than vaporizer coils (not always though, some 510 vapes use e cig wires, however indeed not comparable to something like the massive ribbon the Tinymight uses), but the main reason to switch them out eventually is not the metal part, but rather the cotton part. After some tanks it either looses its structure and fails to wick e liquid properly or it's just not tasting nice anymore.

I make my e cig coils myself which allows me to just change the cotton, I could use the wire for a very long time (if the juice allows it, some sweeteners shorten a coils lifetime).

Last edited:

Squidge

Butane powered
If you want to use the Glow in TC mode, the coil will need to be made of either stainless steel or nickel wire. (Titanium is the other wire that can be used for TC but as it shouldn't be dry burned, it's not suitable here)

Kanthal or Nichrome wire should only be used in Wattage/Voltage mode.

Stainless steel has an advantage as it can be used in both Wattage or TC mode.

N.B. I don't use 510 dry herb vapes (I use nic vapes) so your best bet is to check with the experts in the dedicated Dreamwood Glow thread.

Thread 'Dreamwood Glow' https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dreamwood-glow.34667/

Top Bottom