Cirrhosis and Cannabis

SomnusViduus

you want the wizard or the skull?
I was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis. I drank way too much for way too long. The possibility of a liver transplant is in my future.
Anyway, as you may or may not know, people with liver disease are fairly limited when it comes to options for dealing with pain. I have looked around, but have found little research on the subject of using weed in relation to liver problems, especially cirrhosis, since the esophagus is also at risk of bleeding. My doctors are supportive of my vaping weed and using edibles for pain and depression, whatnot, but they don't really KNOW too much about it.
If anyone else is in a similar situation or knows things i don't, i would be very interested in hearing what you have to say. Thanks for reading.

ginolicious

I have nothing to say on the topic. Other then I am sorry for what you are going through. If vaping weed does not cause any worse effects to you, but is helping you cope with the depression you are dealing with related to your medical condition, why not? If vaping weed is causing issues with your condition, I wouldn't partake.

SomnusViduus

I have nothing to say on the topic. Other then I am sorry for what you are going through. If vaping weed does not cause any worse effects to you, but is helping you cope with the depression you are dealing with related to your medical condition, why not? If vaping weed is causing issues with your condition, I wouldn't partake.
Thank you. Weed helps 1000% with pain and anxiety, depression, that stuff, and i guess at least for now my doctor is cool as long as i'm vaping and not smoking (smoking is a BIG no with cirrhosis, especially cigarettes). I am just curious as to some of the science behind it. A lot of the 'studies' i find are like webMD copy-pasted onto medical marijuana card salesmen's pages. It gets frustrating. I want that peer-reviewed goodness.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Going through some hep c treatment myself
I was quite surprised to discover the hep and cirrhosis even more to find I have 20% liver function and a short term prognosis without said treatment.
Never shot dope at all and rarely drank at all as I just don't care for it.
Apparently getting tattoos starting in juvie has some long term health effects.
All of the medical persons I have discussed this with say vaporizing cannabis is a non issue.
There is some disagreement regards edibles for some reasons to do with how the body processes them also.
All are firmly against smoking.......cannot call it medicine and be taken seriously if you smoke it is very a prevalent opinion.........one I agree with from a physical perspective.

SomnusViduus

Going through some hep c treatment myself
I was quite surprised to discover the hep and cirrhosis even more to find I have 20% liver function and a short term prognosis without said treatment.
Never shot dope at all and rarely drank at all as I just don't care for it.
Apparently getting tattoos starting in juvie has some long term health effects.
All of the medical persons I have discussed this with say vaporizing cannabis is a non issue.
There is some disagreement regards edibles for some reasons to do with how the body processes them also.
All are firmly against smoking.......cannot call it medicine and be taken seriously if you smoke it is very a prevalent opinion.........one I agree with from a physical perspective.
Good luck with your treatment. What a shit way to get sick. At least i knew somewhere in the back of my mind i was drinking myself to death (that is a whole other thing). The edibles i am unclear on myself, because cirrhosis means more cb2 receptors but nobody seems to be 100% sure if that is good or bad. Livers are fascinating. I am learning a lot. Be well...

Vaporware

As I understand it, with edibles Delta-9-THC is processed into 11-Hydroxy-THC in the liver, so I would expect it to have more of an effect on your liver. What specific effects that process might have on your liver I couldn’t tell you.

Good luck with these issues, both of you. I’m glad at least cannabis can provide some symptom relief, but I hope the underlying problems move in the right direction or at least stabilize at a level you can deal with.

C No Ego

Good luck with your treatment. What a shit way to get sick. At least i knew somewhere in the back of my mind i was drinking myself to death (that is a whole other thing). The edibles i am unclear on myself, because cirrhosis means more cb2 receptors but nobody seems to be 100% sure if that is good or bad. Livers are fascinating. I am learning a lot. Be well...
you will find that CBD acts more on COX/LOX leading into the liver ... that is the CYP450 enzymes being activated

Also @SomnusViduus . if enough cannabis is ingested it activates cb1 and cb2 ... large dosages of cannabis oil people ingest to treat cancers and spinal column issues ETC access cb2 receptors way more than using small amounts for recreational purposes ETC....

Last edited:

Tranquility

Did your doctor(s) give you any information on the transplant rules in your area in regards to cannabis use and transplant suitability?

Here's a terrible study on how the ethicists work through the issue:

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Did your doctor(s) give you any information on the transplant rules in your area in regards to cannabis use and transplant suitability?

Here's a terrible study on how the ethicists work through the issue:
So much bias in the study that even the author seems surprised at times.
The fear of recreational destroying the medical side is real though my firm belief is cannabis is medicine for the human condition.
All of us have stress,worry and pain at some point it is part of the experience.
🍉

C No Ego

So much bias in the study that even the author seems surprised at times.
The fear of recreational destroying the medical side is real though my firm belief is cannabis is medicine for the human condition.
All of us have stress,worry and pain at some point it is part of the experience.
🍉
all cannabis is medical ... the very fact that it metabolizes and especially How it does makes every single cannabis molecule to be inggested by man a medical act ... peoples' little brains can make all the claims they want to place them into a comfort zone, whatever ... but the fact remains= all cannabis use is medical

thisisit

I was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis. I drank way too much for way too long. The possibility of a liver transplant is in my future.
Anyway, as you may or may not know, people with liver disease are fairly limited when it comes to options for dealing with pain. I have looked around, but have found little research on the subject of using weed in relation to liver problems, especially cirrhosis, since the esophagus is also at risk of bleeding. My doctors are supportive of my vaping weed and using edibles for pain and depression, whatnot, but they don't really KNOW too much about it.
If anyone else is in a similar situation or knows things i don't, i would be very interested in hearing what you have to say. Thanks for reading.
I am very sorry for what you're going through and I wish you all the absolute best!
Be careful with vaping as you don't wanna cough and strain the varices.

thisisit

and I love the quote under your avatar, one of my favourite episodes :D

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Nothing to add to the helpful posts above, but wanted to wish you well! I sincerely hope you are okay in whatever way you need...

I am currently developing a modest, but regular, home brew habit (for similar reasons I suspect) that I should pay some attention to and this is a reminder that drinking isn't just all fun with no price to pay, even if it is only 50p a pint... wait... especially if it is 50p a pint... so thank you for sharing.

SomnusViduus

Do you do anything in particular with ABV?
i've tried a few different things. i was just eating it on peanut butter, and i made a small batch of coconut oil last time, but i haven't gotten it anywhere near where i want it yet potency wise. some people say they get lit up from it but i've only ever experienced a good night's sleep (which is totally fine with me lol). i know you can't make something from nothing, but i feel like i could do better.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I was having some serious issues around the diaphragm every time I consumed ABV no matter the processing used. No matter what I did, 3 days of serious complications. I'm thinking kidneys but it could be much more involved. Since I can fix it by not consuming ABV, problem solved. I might suggest giving that trash up. I think it is a membrane irritation. Repeatable like clockwork.

SomnusViduus

I was having some serious issues around the diaphragm every time I consumed ABV no matter the processing used. No matter what I did, 3 days of serious complications. I'm thinking kidneys but it could be much more involved. Since I can fix it by not consuming ABV, problem solved. I might suggest giving that trash up. I think it is a membrane irritation. Repeatable like clockwork.
maybe what i'll start doing is preparing oil or butter and just giving it away. i hate to waste anything...

Top Bottom