Cannabis News

BD9

DEA set to rule on rescheduling marijuana. No time line given

Article

The DEA has already received the Food and Drug Administration's recommendation on the rescheduling, which is a key part of the rescheduling process stipulated by the Controlled Substance Act, says Russell Baer, a special agent at the DEA's office of public affairs. Baer won't reveal what the recommendation was. The DEA will now conduct its own eight-factor analysis to study the drug's potential for abuse, the current state of medical and scientific knowledge, the history and pattern of abuse, and other considerations. Once that is complete, the DEA's administrator, Chuck Rosenberg, makes the final call.

Baer wouldn't give a specific date for the decision, but he said the process is nearly complete and the agency is waiting to hear Rosenberg's decision whether or not marijuana is considered a medicine or if it's still a dangerous substance.

While the DEA continues to deliberate on whether or not to reschedule cannabis, the agency will continue to support increased medical and scientific studies on weed, says Baer.

According to the DEA, the total number of Schedule I researchers registered to conduct research with marijuana and its extracts, concentrates and active compounds has increased from 161 in April 2014 to 344 in March 2016, an increase of more than 113 percent in two years.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It’s Not The Kids Turning On To Marijuana, It’s Grandma And Grandpa
Posted by Johnny Green at 10:15 AM on May 26, 2016Ending Marijuana Prohibition, Medical Marijuana Policy

By Phillip Smith The growing acceptance of and access to legal marijuana has some people worried that the youth are going to start using it more frequently, but that’s not the demographic where pot has really taken off. Instead, it’s senior citizens. Whether it’s wide-open medical marijuana states like California or fully legal states like Colorado, the gray-haired set is increasingly turning to pot, and not just to ease their aches and pains With a half-dozen more states likely to have legalization on the ballot (and win) this year and medical marijuana coming to more, grandma and grandpa are set

Read

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Gunky - I know what ya mean. Since coming out of the MJ closet my millennials joke about Grandpa's happy time. They find it kind of comical since I'm such a "dot the I's and cross the T's" person.

The weird part is that being open about it means occasionally one of them will say something like 'Feelin good today Dad'? With a smirk and I'm not even high at the time.

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I'm a millenial and I only know a few people who avidly do it. I've had people just ask me for a hit at times because they saw me smoking on my front porch. Most of the people my age will take a hit, but don't smoke too often. That's what I've found. I don't know if it's because they want to or because of money. Thankfully I almost always have some THC.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
The MPP amendment is the best option but it is highly unlikely that it makes it to the ballot.

State lawmakers are pushing their own MMJ program for two reasons. First is that they then control who makes the money off of it. Second is to squash any potential ballot measures looking to legalize MJ. They do NOT want legal MJ in this state and issue 3 spooked the hell out of them.

You called it!

Read more here.

Last edited:
Fat Freddy,
Reactions: BD9

CarolKing

FATHER SENTENCED FOR GIVING HIS CHILD POT CAKE
SOURCE: THE COLUMBIAN / ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: MAY 20TH 2016

A Vancouver man who gave his 4-year-old daughter marijuana-infused chocolate cake was sentenced Friday to two years in prison.

John Batten, 28, entered guilty pleas in Clark County Superior Court to delivering a controlled substance and third-degree assault of a child, a domestic violence-related charge. He originally faced charges of delivering a controlled substance to a minor, second-degree assault of a child and third-degree assault of a child. However, those charges were amended as part of a plea deal.

Court records say that the child was taken to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center on Sept. 9 after becoming lethargic at her day care. The girl’s system tested positive for THC — the active ingredient in marijuana. Day care staff said the girl had been visited that morning by her father, Batten, who gave her snacks.

The girl told detectives that Batten brought her an apple and chocolate cake that day, according to a probable cause affidavit filed in Superior Court.

Detectives collected the cake wrapper and crumbs and sent them to the Washington State Patrol’s crime lab to be analyzed. The cake crumbs were found to contain THC, the affidavit said.

Batten denied giving the girl any food with marijuana in it. He said he purchased the cake that morning from a local gas station on Mill Plain Boulevard. The cake was in plastic wrap in a case near the register, he said, and it looked like it had been made on-site or was homemade, court records said.

The store’s owner told detectives he doesn’t carry any baked goods, except doughnuts. There also wasn’t any cake or similarly wrapped products in the display case, according to court documents.

Deputy Prosecutor Jeff McCarty said in a phone interview Friday that the child physically recovered from the incident.

Batten was additionally sentenced to a year of community custody and was ordered not to have contact with his daughter for five years.

What was this little girl's father thinking? He deserves whatever the law throws at him. Shame on him. This is definitely weird cannabis news but it's,a serious matter and needed to be treated like one. This gives cannabis and cannabis users a bad reputation. I agree with the courts, this is abuse.
CK

Last edited:

BD9

What was this little girl's father thinking? He deserves whatever the law throws at him. Shame on him. This is definitely weird cannabis news but it'a serious matter and needed to be treated like one. This gives cannabis and cannabis users a bad reputation.
CK

I'm happy you made this comment.
I'm all for legalizing, but this makes me sick. If he had given it to her to help with seizures, or some type of illness, I could get on board. This seems to be an attempt to harm her, a child, and that's not acceptable.
I agree @CarolKing, this is not going to help our cause.

Last edited:

His_Highness

I can't imagine a father doing something like this on purpose. My vote goes to this idiot of a father doing something like ..... making two batches of cake....one with and one without. Probably got stoned and picked up the wrong cake and gave it to his daughter. Otherwise he needs to go away for a lot longer.

CarolKing

@His_Highness then he needs to go to prison for stupidity. Folks you need to be so careful with your cannabis edibles.

My husband doesn't use cannabis and has to take a drug test every so often. I make sure if I make anything medibles it's put away so it's not mixed up with the regular stuff.

I have grandchildren and I make sure any candy that I bought at the dispensary is put away too. They wouldn't know the difference between my Nasty Jacks and regular malted milk balls. Be responsible.

Gunky

It's hard to make judgements on it without all the facts. I do wonder if the guy had given some form of alcohol to his 4 year old daughter, would they throw him in prison for 2 years and bar him from seeing his daughter for 5 years?

His_Highness

I do wonder if the guy had given some form of alcohol to his 4 year old daughter, would they throw him in prison for 2 years and bar him from seeing his daughter for 5 years?

I would guess it depends on the type and amount of alcohol. When I was a child my mother would give me scotch soaked towelets to rub on my gums when I was teething or had a toothache. Give a 4 year old 2 or 3 shots and it would hopefully be jail time.

BD9

It's hard to make judgements on it without all the facts. I do wonder if the guy had given some form of alcohol to his 4 year old daughter, would they throw him in prison for 2 years and bar him from seeing his daughter for 5 years?

"It's hard to make judgements without knowing all the facts"
No, actually it's not. Be responsible!

YES. If not, then they should. 'Slipping' something to someone, especially a child, is unacceptable whether it's cannabis, alcohol or whatever.

Gunky

YES. If not, then they should. 'Slipping' something to someone, especially a child, is unacceptable whether it's cannabis, alcohol or whatever.
Without all the facts, how can you know if he was responsible or not?

I agree it's unacceptable to slip a child some drug or alcohol. 2 years in prison and 5 years barred from seeing your child is pretty significant punishment. The drug wore off in 24 hours and apparently the girl was unharmed. Preventing her from seeing her parent for 5 years will continue to damage her for a long time. Who is going to pay for her stuff while dad is in prison? This doesn't just punish the dad. Who knows possibly he is a total piece of work and should be tossed in the chokey and throw away the key; without knowing all the details it is easy to self-righteously condemn the fellow.

Last edited:

BD9

A Vancouver man who gave his 4-year-old daughter marijuana-infused chocolate cake was sentenced Friday to two years in prison.

John Batten, 28, entered guilty pleas in Clark County Superior Court to delivering a controlled substance and third-degree assault of a child, a domestic violence-related charge.

Day care staff said the girl had been visited that morning by her father, Batten, who gave her snacks.

Without all the facts, how can you know if he was responsible or not?

Gunky, did you read the article?

Gunky

Gunky, did you read the article?
Yes I did. The article gives a selection of the facts, but not enough to know if the punishment is fair. You are very young aren't you? The young are such absolutists, so self-righteous in their beliefs and cruel in their justice. For example, they said they tested the cake wrapper and found THC. But did they test her blood? What if the wrapper was re-used from a different cake and she was sleepy because she took benadryl? We have no way of knowing. What I do know is that punishment sounds awfully cruel to the daughter and wife, if there is a wife.

CarolKing

@Gunky your picken fly shit out of pepper. I posted the article for everyone's info. Not meaning to start an argument. Watch the fucking blood pressure. Why does everything have to be an argument? I like discussion and debate.

Sorry mods if I stepped over the line.

Last edited:

Gunky

@Gunky your picken fly shot out of pepper. I posted the article for everyone's info. Not meaning to start an argument. Watch the fucking blood pressure. Why does everything have to be an argument? I like discussion and debate.

Sorry mods if I stepped over the line.
Well, I was replying to someone who said:
Do you find that reasonable? I don't. Thinking that it is easy to make judgements without knowing all the facts - that is very problematic for me.

Last edited:

BD9

Don't Fall Over, but Medical Marijuana Just Scored a Big Victory on Capitol Hill

By a vote of 233-189 in the House of Representatives, and 89-8 in the Senate, Congress voted to forbid the Department of Veterans Affairs, or VA, from prohibiting government doctors from prescribing medical marijuana to veterans

I agree this is a huge step forward but this only applies to states where medical marijuana is already legal, which is unfortunate. I wonder if veterans will be flocking to legal states to get their medicine.

Medical marijuana scores a rare victory on Capitol Hill

By a vote of 233-189 in the House of Representatives, and 89-8 in the Senate, Congress voted to forbid the Department of Veterans Affairs, or VA, from prohibiting government doctors from prescribing medical marijuana to veterans. The bill will make its way to President Obama next, and if signed into law, it could mean relatively quick access for veterans in the 24 states, and Washington, D.C., where medical marijuana has been legalized. Note, passage of this law wouldn't mean all veterans would have access to medical marijuana -- just those in currently legal states. The VA's ban in the remaining 26 states would still be valid.

Medical marijuana would specifically be targeted at treatments such as anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain, and post-traumatic stress disorder. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the stresses of wartime and the uniqueness of military culture creates a situation where veterans are much more likely to get addicted to prescription drugs compared to civilians. Thus medical marijuana may be able to step in and curb this trend.

grokit

well-worn member
The ‘Gateway Drug’ Is Alcohol, Not Marijuana

9nS8B7q.jpg

Researchers at the University of Florida have found that the theory of a “gateway drug” is not associated with marijuana – results from the Guttman scale indicated that alcohol represented the gateway drug, leading to the use of tobacco, marijuana, and other illicit substances. Furthermore, students who used alcohol “exhibited a significantly greater likelihood of using both licit and illicit drugs”.

In an interview with Raw Story, co-author Adam E. Barry said that his studies were intended to correct some of the propaganda that has infected American culture since the “Reefer Madness” era.

“Some of these earlier iterations needed to be fleshed out, that’s why we wanted to study this. The latest form of the gateway theory is that it begins with [cannabis] and moves on finally to what laypeople often call ‘harder drugs’. As you can see from the findings of our study, it confirmed this gateway hypothesis, but it follows progression from licit substances, specifically alcohol, and moves on to illicit substances,”
Barry said. These findings walk hand-in-hand with a 2012 study from Yale that found that alcohol and cigarettes were much more likely than marijuana to precede opiate abuse.

Researchers used a nationally representative sample of high school seniors, evaluating data collected through the University of Michigan’s Monitoring the Future survey, which tracks drug use trends among youth in the US. Barry’s study focused on data collected from 14,577 high school seniors from 120 public and private schools in the United States.

By comparing substance abuse rates between drinkers and non-drinkers, the researchers found that seniors in high school who had consumed alcohol at least once in their lives “were 13 times more likely to use cigarettes, 16 times more likely to use marijuana and other narcotics, and 13 times more likely to use cocaine”.

In the sample of students, alcohol also represented the most commonly used substance, with 72.2 percent of students reporting alcohol consumption at some point in their lifetime. Comparatively, 45 percent of students reported using tobacco, and 43.3 percent cited marijuana use.

“The findings from this investigation support that alcohol should receive primary attention in school-based substance abuse prevention programming, as the use of other substances could be impacted by delaying or preventing alcohol use. Therefore, it seems prudent for school and public health officials to focus prevention efforts, policies, and monies, on addressing adolescent alcohol use,” the study concluded.

Scientists had earlier discovered that cannabis, a therapeutic healing herb, may actually reduce brain damage caused by alcohol. A 2013 study from the University of Kentucky and the University of Maryland concluded that a chemical in marijuana called cannabidiol could be used to treat alcohol-induced neuro-degeneration.

Results of a very recent study has led to the conclusion that ‘illegal’ marijuana is far and away the safest ‘legal’ drug. Based on the findings, the researchers agreed that weed is 114 times less deadly than alcohol.

http://anonhq.com/gateway-drug-alcohol-not-marijuana/

Top Bottom