• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cannabis News

Planck

believes in Dog
OK I'll play along with the notion that there will be a colony which there won't.

Clearly LSD is a much more viable option, much cheaper to ship. :brow:

This guy, Occupy Mars. :wave:
Elon-Musk-Joe-Rogan.jpg

Vaporware

It’s unlikely that we’ll have a viable colony on Mars soon, but 150 years ago the idea of people flying or going to the moon probably seemed just as crazy.

Maybe it’ll take another 50 or 150 years, or maybe even thousands of years or more of terraforming before it is really habitable, but unless we destroy ourselves or decide we shouldn’t make Mars more Earth-like, it’s almost certain to happen eventually.

Even if we had to genetically engineer people to be able to live there, I would be very surprised if we didn’t have the ability to do that at least this century.

I know it’s hard to look into the future and see how things will really be, and we always have people promising too much too soon, but we are quickly ramping up toward what could be a utopian or dystopian future. I hope that more and more people will start to see that and push us toward a better path than the one we’re on right now.

JBone65

Typical newsday in Oklahoma. What's wrong with this picture? A genius from New Jersey was caught driving 82 in a 55 mph zone, with 71 stinking lbs in the trunk. He didn't have any sort of medical or growers license, and apparently won't say where he got the weed or where he was going.

Officer Harmon didn't like the smell of 71 lbs of weed, it gave him a headache.

florduh

It’s unlikely that we’ll have a viable colony on Mars soon, but 150 years ago the idea of people flying or going to the moon probably seemed just as crazy.

Maybe it’ll take another 50 or 150 years, or maybe even thousands of years or more of terraforming before it is really habitable, but unless we destroy ourselves or decide we shouldn’t make Mars more Earth-like, it’s almost certain to happen eventually.

Even if we had to genetically engineer people to be able to live there, I would be very surprised if we didn’t have the ability to do that at least this century.

I know it’s hard to look into the future and see how things will really be, and we always have people promising too much too soon, but we are quickly ramping up toward what could be a utopian or dystopian future. I hope that more and more people will start to see that and push us toward a better path than the one we’re on right now.

Eventually Mars might be a viable option for human life. But not for centuries and that's assuming there are some massive leaps in technology between now and then. Musk is out there saying he wants to send a MILLION people to that hellhole within the next two decades. Luckily that guy's full of shit.

I said this in another thread, but if you want to live in a tube in space, why not choose the Moon? Mars still has suboptimal gravity. Its atmosphere is too thin to be useful for anything. Your balls will be constantly cooked by cosmic radiation. The Moon has better views. And it's not 4 months away from Earth in case of an emergency. You might even be able to set up some "trade" between the Moon colony and Earth. There ain't shit on Mars that would be worth the cost of shipping it back to Earth.

Also they're already working on growing Moon Weed.

So far it's probably schwag, but let's give them a few years.

blackstone

Thailand:

"BANGKOK: One man died while three others have been hospitalised in Thailand's capital due to cannabis overdose, just days after the government decriminalised cannabis (with a THC content of not more than 0.2 per cent)

One of them was a 51-year-old man who suffered chest pains and later died of heart failure.

Relatives of the man reportedly said that he had a history of taking cannabis.

Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said deaths caused by cannabis overdose was not new and reiterated that anything, if overused, would do harm to health."

"There is no elaboration from the authorities yet how the hospitalised consumed cannabis, by which amount, and whether they may have other health complications.

According to US health website Healthline, while nobody has died from overdosing on cannabis alone, it’s possible to consume too much and have a bad reaction. This tends to happen more with edibles and high-THC products."

--------
Yeah, or maybe with synthetic cannabinoids or otherwise contaminated black market product.
Or he could have became ill from smoking too much mold infested CBD weed.

Vaporware

Musk is a ridiculous salesman who seriously over-promises for sure. If his projects manage to get people to Mars soon, they will face a lot of problems and probably short lives that make people question for many years whether or not we should even try to colonize Mars at all. I was only objecting to the idea that we would never get there. :)

Planck

believes in Dog
I expect we as a species might send a very few peeps to Mars, there may even be a small research station for a while.

I see no reason to colonise Mars now or at anytime in the future.

There are dozens of reasons why it's a terrible idea. While there may be no laws in physics that technically say it is impossible to "fix" things like intense ionising radiation or no atmosphere the costs will always be extreme assuming we ever meet the tech and energy requirements for such a gigantic task.

The cost benefit analysis just doesn't hold up. There are no resources of value on Mars. There will ever be a colony on Mars. IMO :)

florduh

I expect we as a species might send a very few peeps to Mars, there may even be a small research station for a while.

I see no reason to colonise Mars now or at anytime in the future.

There are dozens of reasons why it's a terrible idea. While there may be no laws in physics that technically say it is impossible to "fix" things like intense ionising radiation or no atmosphere the costs will always be extreme assuming we ever meet the tech and energy requirements for such a gigantic task.

The cost benefit analysis just doesn't hold up. There are no resources of value on Mars. There will ever be a colony on Mars. IMO :)

The thing is, long before you'd have the tech to make Mars livable, you'd have the tech to make one of these bad boys...

ralf-maeder-space-station-2001-d-x.jpg

At least there you'd be able to recreate the gravity humans require. Living on Mars would still be essentially living on a space station. Just one with an obnoxious gravity well to deal with.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Cheebsy

Microbe minion

Cafés and stalls have been openly selling all kinds of cannabis products, or showing off jars filled with potent marijuana flowers.
The minister for public health, Anutin Charnvirakul - architect of the new law, which now gives Thailand perhaps the most liberal marijuana regime anywhere in the world - was seen sampling weed-laced curries, and being applauded by farmers who hope it will bring them new sources of income.

There were gaggles of giggling Thai grannies trying lurid-green cannabis drinks, and lining up to collect one of the million free marijuana plants the government is handing out.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

florduh

Why do I never hear anyone bitching about INFLATION when the government prints money to do stupid ass shit like this? They launched a multi-trillion dollar war on a plant and lost. Time to move on.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

Been a regular and well-managed user for more than 50 years. Had a decent family life and a highly successful career--never got stoned once before or during work over a long professional life--but smoked nearly every eve and every weekend for at least 45 or so of those years. I'm so glad I didn't start until I was nearly 20 and even then it was often difficult to get, so there were plenty of slack times. (Have you ever tried smoking dried banana peel!?) That is, the one essentially proven medical/scientific negative about cannabis is its effect on the brain and emotional life of teens.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Been a regular and well-managed user for more than 50 years. Had a decent family life and a highly successful career--never got stoned once before or during work over a long professional life--but smoked nearly every eve and every weekend for at least 45 or so of those years. I'm so glad I didn't start until I was nearly 20 and even then it was often difficult to get, so there were plenty of slack times. (Have you ever tried smoking dried banana peel!?) That is, the one essentially proven medical/scientific negative about cannabis is its effect on the brain and emotional life of teens.

I sure hope the same people who expressed disinterest about Fox news / Laura Ingraham's cannabis psychosis rant last week, feel the exact same vitriol about this nearly identical-in-content NYT hit piece.

"THC concentrates “are as close to the cannabis plant as strawberries are to frosted strawberry pop tarts,” Beatriz Carlini, a research scientist at the University of Washington’s Addictions, Drug and Alcohol Institute, wrote in a report on the health risks of highly concentrated cannabis."

One of my favorite quotes from the article, demonstrating complete scientific incompetence.

A better analogy would have been "THC concentrates are as close to the cannabis plant as olives are to olive oil" - but that wouldn't have fit the anti cannabis agenda.

florduh

Been a regular and well-managed user for more than 50 years. Had a highly successful career--never got stoned once before or during work over a long professional life--but smoked nearly every eve and every weekend for at least 45 or so of those years. I'm so glad I didn't start until I was nearly 20 and even then it was often difficult to get, so there were plenty of slack times. That is, the one essentially proven medical/scientific negative about cannabis is its effect on the brain and emotional life of teens.

That's it. I've seen enough. We definitely should not legalize weed for children. :rolleyes:. I've noticed that the solution to teenager binge drinking is never "make booze illegal for adults too".

THC concentrates “are as close to the cannabis plant as strawberries are to frosted strawberry pop tarts,” Beatriz Carlini, a research scientist at the University of Washington’s Addictions, Drug and Alcohol Institute, wrote in a report on the health risks of highly concentrated cannabis."

This is fucking stupid. Removing inactive plant materials from cannabis isn't the same thing as artificial strawberry flavoring. Though you do see this anti-concentrate bias exists among enthusiasts as well. I bet people who say they avoid concentrates due to worry about tolerance have more total THC in their flower bowls than in one of my tiny dabs. Especially with flower THC percentages blowing past 20%.

I sure hope the same people who expressed disinterest about Fox news / Laura Ingraham's cannabis psychosis rant last week, feel the exact same vitriol about this nearly identical-in-content NYT hit piece.

It's the same shit, just repacked for the buttoned up, Professional Managerial Class types who read the NYT.

There's a sentiment on this thread that opposition to legalization is only about The Money. Pharma and the alcohol industry don't want the competition. I'm sure that's a huge part of it, but I don't think that's the full story. There's a bias against weed that you don't see around alcohol because there's a stigma that "weed makes you lazy".

And yes, you see this on "The Left" (lol) as well as the Right. Last year there was a big story about the Biden Admin firing a bunch of young staffers after they pissed hot for THC, despite assuring them they wouldn't discriminate against cannabis consumers. I think that's because the Admin is mostly staffed by corporate striver types. They don't like weed because they believe it will reduce productivity by x%, and we just can't have that.

We can't have people kicking back with a joint, relaxing, seeing things from a different perspective. Modern Americans exist to be little Matrix style batteries for Capital. You need to "get on that grind" and be as productive as possible. So your boss and the major shareholders can buy a new boat every year. Weed just isn't compatible with the ruling philosophy of this world. Or at least, that's what the corporate elite believes.

So yes, Fox is shitting on cannabis because they don't want to talk about gun control or increasing funding for mental healthcare. The NYT is spreading misinfo because they depend on pharma advertising to survive. But I think they're both also doing it because they believe weed prevents workers from working as hard as humanly possible to make the Bosses richer.

darbarikanada

I read the article. I think it's important to point out that it's about concentrate use among teens, figured the media would 'discover' the phenomenon sooner rather than later. (I don't know about you, but I've often wondered how I or my friends would've responded if 80%+ concentrates had been available when I was a teen!)

florduh

Just for some perspective on the issue...

Underage drinking is a significant public health problem in the U.S. Excessive drinking is responsible for more than 3,900 deaths and 225,000 years of potential life lost among people under age 21 each year.1 Underage drinking cost the U.S. $24 billion in 2010.2

There's a 9/11 worth of dead teenagers every year due to alcohol. Death is worse than vomiting or even "psychosis".

The 2019 Youth Risk Behavior Survey found that among high school students, during the past 30 days

• 29% drank alcohol.
  • 14% binge drank.
  • 5% of drivers drove after drinking alcohol.
  • 17% rode with a driver who had been drinking alcohol.

Seems a bit more startling than the stat from the NYT article that 44% of teens used cannabis within the last year.

I don't think teens should use cannabis unless there's a medical need. I didn't start using until I was 28. But the CDC mentioned teenage alcohol use has been trending down. If that's because cannabis use is going up, I'd say that's a net positive. It means fewer dead kids.

JBone65

I read the article. I think it's important to point out that it's about concentrate use among teens, figured the media would 'discover' the phenomenon sooner rather than later. (I don't know about you, but I've often wondered how I or my friends would've responded if 80%+ concentrates had been available when I was a teen!)
There are two issues, cannabis use among teens and the free enterprise (targeted?) marketing of poorly-regulated concentrates on consumers in general. I can buy 1g carts a few miles from here for$7.99. It's usually the cheap ones that don't have a website or say how they're made. I doubt you can stop teens from smoking weed, but it could turn into a triple whammy when they get addicted to affordable vitamin e acetate carts.

Last edited:

darbarikanada

There are two issues, cannabis use among teens and the impact of free enterprise (targeted marketing) and poorly regulated concentrates on consumers in general.
agreed that 'poorly regulated concentrates' is a real issue when it comes to teens (and I predict that it'll be getting plenty of press, for better or worse), but I'm pretty sure word-of-mouth would be plenty adequate (without marketing) for teens to learn about concentrates - the mere existence of incredibly potent cannabis that can be vaped discreetly is virtually guaranteed to find a receptive audience among teens.

darbarikanada,
Reactions: Summer

JBone65

agreed that 'poorly regulated concentrates' is a real issue when it comes to teens (and I predict that it'll be getting plenty of press, for better or worse), but I'm pretty sure word-of-mouth would be plenty adequate (without marketing) for teens to learn about concentrates - the mere existence of incredibly potent cannabis that can be vaped discreetly is virtually guaranteed to find a receptive audience among teens.
My point is that we can't just legalize cannabis for personal use.

In our capitalistic system we legalize it in just the right way so that special interests can reap the most profit, including inadequate regulations that result in dangerous crap peddled to anyone with money, including teenagers. There is no perfect world where we would only have access to clean concentrates, and the contaminated concentrates don't only hurt teenagers.

JBone65,
Top Bottom