Cannabis and white blood cell count

Garysfriend

Hey everyone,

Wanted to ask the community if anyone is aware of cannabis and low white blood cell count. For about the past month or two I've had some discomfort in my left armpit. Went to the doc, and she said she could feel some mild swelling in one lymph node, and did a blood test which I just got the results for. Everything is in normal range except wbc, which was 3.8 (normal is 4-11 depending on who you ask). This is borderline low, and she hasn't even contacted me yet, so I'm not too worried, but doing some research, I found some "iffy" links and comments on the internet that cannabis use may lower wbc and could have an effect on how the body fights off infections, bacteria and viruses. While I'm not saying this as fact, I have suspected that using cannabis seems to slow the rate at which my body can kick a common cold, flu, etc. Just wondering what everyone's take on this could be.

In 2012, it was 3.9. Again confirming that I shouldn't be too alarmed... at least about the WBC (who knows about the armpit pain though).

I did have mono back in June of this year (what middle age, married man who's been with one woman for the past 10 years get's mono... who knows), but that was confirmed by a blood test. I did happen to recover very quickly though... in about 3 weeks I was back to almost normal. I did abstain for that entire time. My wbc at that time was 16. I was feeling good until about mid September where this new issue popped up.

Lymph nodes are as we know part of our immune system. I'm starting to wonder if there is some link between cannabis, white blood cell count, and in my case, swollen and somewhat painful lymph nodes for extended periods of time.

(FYI, except for the rare joint I always vape. I know this is not the place to come for medical advice so I'm going to continue to work with my doc to figure out what's up).

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Garysfriend,

Garysfriend

Yes.. I did the same google search and read the same results...

I guess my question should be... if cannabis is known to lower white blood cell count, why is it prescribed to patients who's bodies are fighting diseases (cancer, HIV)... where I would think white blood cells are important?

In addition to that, is it possible my use is directly or indirectly messing with my lymph nodes? (I know... take a break to find out... I'm in the middle of one now).

Garysfriend,

little maggie

I think the research is just too new to really know what's going on. And possibly the researchers have their own bias about expected results. And possibly the technology has changed since the first article is so much older. Anyway we end up with these opposing articles:
https://www.worldandischool.com/public/1988/february/school-resource14005.asp
https://www.worldandischool.com/public/1988/february/school-resource14005.asp
https://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/leukemia-medical-marijuana-research/

little maggie,
Top Bottom