Cannabis and the treatment of depression in PTSD

lauri melissa

Happy Fairy
PTSD affects everyone in different ways. When I got an actual diagnostic evaluation in 1990, twenty years after the initial truama, I was told I had shell shock. The Vagas nerve problems could not be understood till it was discovered by doctors in the 1990's. The Vagas nerve is affected by the disorder; I would pass out if I ate something too hot or cold or stress. The night terrors can be extreme at times, especially when I was going through menopause. I still have to be careful with stress.. But now, I at least get a second of warning it is going to occur and I can warn someone. This is a classic symptom of PTSD. My Vagas nerve will become inflamed and swell and cut off my oxygen, hence I become unconscious. Because there is so much that hasn't been explored, I am sure there are many things that I do not understand. Like I said before, I have had this for fifty years. Many years of therapy, medication and studying this condition. And I still don't know enough. At least, I don't want to die.......those days are gone. Thank goodness!! I wish all of you love and light and understanding.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
PTSD affects everyone in different ways. When I got an actual diagnostic evaluation in 1990, twenty years after the initial truama, I was told I had shell shock. The Vagas nerve problems could not be understood till it was discovered by doctors in the 1990's. The Vagas nerve is affected by the disorder; I would pass out if I ate something too hot or cold or stress. The night terrors can be extreme at times, especially when I was going through menopause. I still have to be careful with stress.. But now, I at least get a second of warning it is going to occur and I can warn someone. This is a classic symptom of PTSD. My Vagas nerve will become inflamed and swell and cut off my oxygen, hence I become unconscious. Because there is so much that hasn't been explored, I am sure there are many things that I do not understand. Like I said before, I have had this for fifty years. Many years of therapy, medication and studying this condition. And I still don't know enough. At least, I don't want to die.......those days are gone. Thank goodness!! I wish all of you love and light and understanding.
Have you looked into a vagus nerve simulator? They look like they offer a great deal if relief. I hate to hear you have had to struggle with so much. You must be exhausted!

lauri melissa

Happy Fairy
Yes, at times I am exhausted. It has been an arduous battle. The chronic pain can be trying. But, I have a loving wife and dear friends, who I know have my back. Love is a powerful thing. Every time I would consider the alternative, I remember all the love that surrounds me, now. People in this country kill themselves on average of 129 deaths. Only 22 are veterans!! The rest...... It is sad and what is happening right now doesn't help the situation. Cannabis has helped me in so many ways. But the most importantly, it helps me deal with pain and frees up my mind so I can meditate. And meditation is a wonderful tool to have at your disposal. Namaste.

C No Ego

Worrying / stressing ( over mulling scenarios / mind frame Blame) can create over excitability in our brains' cellular pathways ... to much Glutamergic synapses being activated and stressed and not relaxed.. the actives in cannabis help restore some of that over excitable signaling via the pro homeostasis metabolism... known scientifically = Depolarization induced suppression of excitation of neurotransmitter release ( DSE) . and one other way = depolarization induced suppression of inhibition of neurotransmitter release ( DSI) .
this is the endocannabinoid system in action, modulating backwards lipid signaling ( retrograde neurotransmitter s) for the bio feed back known as homeostasis... ECS is the only neurotransmitter system to go outside of cell and then back in again ( post to pre) ...

a great slide show example = 4 Slides phytecs- tourtheECS https://www.phytecs.com/tour-the-ecs/

Endless Interim

Whether for a life of ptsd, or day-to-day bullshit, cannabis helps me hide... like an affable/amiable old friend (or comfy old sweatshirt even) that never has an opinion, but always tries to help by taking the mind elsewhere, usually someplace fun...
Hell yeah.I love my gummies.20 to 40mg depending on strain and brand does me good.Or one to two Dynavap bowls.Just enough to be a little elevated.Just that little bit makes a huge difference between a shit day and a good one.People are so much more tolerable when slightly medicated and keeping just enough in me all the time helps with body pains.Helps me feel not so ground down after the daily grind.I mean don't get me wrong I love my ''weed warehouse'' job but after time is put in my mind and body need a reset.

I KNOW I have depression but no matter how many times I talk it out and come to the realization I have a mental/chemical imbalance and nothing is wrong....I am right back at ''man,I am so mentally fucked.''

I love my weed:love:

I wish I had access to cannabis in the years I didn't have it as I feel I would've not beat myself up so bad when things went very wrong in my life.The outcome would be the same and to deal with it is what must be done and then the healing process but boy it would have been so much more tolerable atm.

I found that my OCD/Bipolar ''changes ''and creates new versions of shit I go through.It is never ending.....an ''Endless Interim.''

Robert-in-YEG

Not sure what to so, other than, "it's helped me".

Every person, and every addiction, is different. My parents both smoked. When health reasons forced them to quit, they each reacted differently. For my mother, nothing could topple cigarettes; no matter what was said, she would smoke. For my father, the doctor said quit, so he quit.

Migraines have been a part of my world for 40+ years. For a time, opiates worked, but addiction followed. Anxiety became a problem maybe 15~18 years ago; was prescribed benzo's. After age 50, the advice was to wean of benzo's, so I weaned. For unknown reasons, physical addiction has never been more than a discomfort. Sadly, not everyone is so lucky.

It was when I was weaning off benzo's that I got a medical MJ card; never really used it until about a year ago.

In May of 2019, I lost a child. The circumstances have lead to PTSD type symptoms. No point entering back into the benzo food chain; the advice I received was to find an alternative. That alternative has been cannabis.

Alternative or other, always talk to your doctor, or better yet doctors. Agreeing or disagreeing with the advice, that is your personal choice. I will say that from personal experience 'self-prescribing' isn't a good practice; when too close to the problem, the problem can be distorted. At the very least, confide and seek the experience of others.

Last, again personal experience, don't forget 'common sense and moderation'. I struggle with that one, but slowly and surely someone is beating the sense into me on that one.

Robert-in-YEG

"No one is immune from addiction; it afflicts people of all ages, races, classes, and professions."
~Patrick J. Kennedy

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor."

~ Sholom Aleichem

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: Bad Dog
Top Bottom