Cannabinoids Bioavailability and food

Akàçìa

VapourousShades
Hi, I know it's a bit of a dumb question but I've always been confused by this . Some people say that you just need fat to infuse your weed into food while some people claim it's better on a stomach full of fat, some people claim it's better on an empty stomach ... I'm kinda lost haha .

Usually my decor is 125degrees C for about 30mn then I put it in MCT Oil preferably, olive oil when I don't have MCT . I also would like to use the weed and hash I've vaped .

How actually important is fat fr edibles to work well ?

Have a nice day :)

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
You need to use the fat to decarb and extract the goods from the herb, then strain and only consume the fat. You don't want to swallow the herb itself.

MCT is meant to be good. I would look into additives for enhancing bio availability such as omega oils and other terpenes such as very small amounts of essential oils of myrrh, cinnamon and frankincense... This is said to be an ancient recipe which is where the authors of the Bible's nonsense got the idea from.

I get stomach trouble from edibles sometimes (regardless of stomach empty or full) and generally find the oral route a bit too unreliable.

shredder

Hi, I know it's a bit of a dumb question but I've always been confused by this . Some people say that you just need fat to infuse your weed into food while some people claim it's better on a stomach full of fat, some people claim it's better on an empty stomach ... I'm kinda lost haha .

Usually my decor is 125degrees C for about 30mn then I put it in MCT Oil preferably, olive oil when I don't have MCT . I also would like to use the weed and hash I've vaped .

How actually important is fat fr edibles to work well ?

Have a nice day :)

For bioavailability and oil plus lecithin work better than oil alone. No need for a lot of oil either. Our weed capsules don't have much at all.

Mct and coconut oil work great for us. I don't even add oil in chocolate because of the fat in it already.

For abv you might want to make a small batch and try it first. It has a strong somewhat unpleasant taste.

You don't want to swallow the herb itself.

I use weed capsules with actual weed in them daily. Not a problem in capsules and you get more terpenes and such that are lost in straining out the plant material. And taste or texture isn't a concern in capsules.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
The info I have is that the entire plant is covered with tiny hairs that can irritate the gut and is not considered edible. I guess a small amount of strong bud isn't enough to be a problem but maybe depends on the person.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The info I have is that the entire plant is covered with tiny hairs that can irritate the gut and is not considered edible. I guess a small amount of strong bud isn't enough to be a problem but maybe depends on the person.
Are you referring to the pistils? I searched but I could find nothing saying they are in anyway inedible. Do you have a link?
I am seeing a lot of bad information here lately so I'd rather not continue spreading myths.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Not the pistils. Much smaller hairs. It's most visible on the stems but only with a strong magnifier. It's notnew info either- the hairs are definitely there, how much of a problem they are is the question. Weed leaves have a slightly rough texture because of those micro hairs.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Not the pistils. Much smaller hairs. It's most visible on the stems but only with a strong magnifier. It's notnew info either- the hairs are definitely there, how much of a problem they are is the question. Weed leaves have a slightly rough texture because of those micro hairs.
I would love a link or even the name of that structure on the plant.

Edited to add: it sounds a bit like you are describing trichomes. Although I assume you know that's where most of the cannabinoids reside so we typically do like to consume those.

Last edited:
Grass Yes,
Reactions: Nina

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I don't get paid enough for this! They are apparently just called hairs!

So... The word hair does not appear on that site at all. I am going to continue to assume you don't know what you are talking about.

Eta: Ah, a brief mention of a hair on the underside of the leaf but no mention of trichomes. Mostly I want a link about the irritation or problem digesting it.

Grass Yes,

shredder

I'm sure decarbing and grinding to powder would take care of any concerns. I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

I use buds not leaves anyway. AFAIK buds don't have "hairs" as you describe.

Do you have a link or personal experience?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I read that in a decent article or maybe book, a long time ago. I 'm not a cannabis researcher but have done botany and biology at University level so i generally know how to parse sources of information. They weren't saying it'll cause serious damage, just gut irritation and probably talking about regularly ingesting the stuff as opposed to a one-off event.

I always eat extracts or hash if i eat it so I don't have personal experience in that but I know what the tip of a cannabis leaf fells like if it gets into your eye....

What is the argument FOR ingesting the plant material after heating in oil for half an hour or so to decarb?

Haze Mister,

Akàçìa

VapourousShades
Thanks for you answers, so if I understood well, fatty acids like MCT Oil are useful to extract the cannabinoids and terpenes but having a fatty stomach does not change how much will be absorbed by the gut ?
Empty stomach or after a fatty meal is the same then , just longer to come up with a full stomach ?

Since I mostly use H, I coffee filter my Oil a little bit, but most of it ends up in my Edible, but I usually put in on salads for a better taste .

I'm gonna try to add Lechitin to my MCT coconut Oil for my Next Edible batch thanks !

And is the potency similar for sublingual and oral use ?

shredder

What is the argument FOR ingesting the plant material after heating in oil for half an hour or so to decarb?

Hell if I know, lol.

We decarb dry. I usually set out buds for a few days to dry before decarbing dry.

Then we mix decarbed, and ground to powder, buds with coconut oil and lecithin. And fill size 00 gel capsules.

There isn't any soak or infusing period since we eat the buds.

shredder,

Old Moderate

Longtime edible user here: my experience is that eating an edible on an empty stomach will cause it to come on a bit faster and stronger but then not last as long. I have always understood this experience of mine being because it was metabolized faster on an empty stomach as compared with when there is lots of food in there. So if I want a more potent experience I will have the brownie before dinner instead of after :)

Nina

this is my routine, I make sure that the meal I eat before I take my edible has no fat at all in it, I eat the edible when my stomach feels empty and it starts to work in 35-40 minutes.
My edibles are made from whole cannabis flower ground into a thin paste with oil & lecithin.

Varden

I have prepared omelettes mixed with AVB (add some onions and peppers to mask the AVB flavour) as a quick lazy way of preparing edibles with AVB and never had any problem.

Granted, I do it very occasionally, not regularly, but felt nothing wrong with my stomach.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Well that is interesting, It looks like some folks have the ability to have their comments removed... how does that work? :suspicious:

It looks like I am talking to myself up there- but there was someone posting "you don't know what you're talking" about" comments....

I am kind of nearly done with contributing anything but bad jokes here.

Haze Mister,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Well that is interesting, It looks like some folks have the ability to have their comments removed... how does that work? :suspicious:

It looks like I am talking to myself up there- but there was someone posting "you don't know what you're talking" about" comments....

I am kind of nearly done with contributing anything but bad jokes here.
No posts in this thread have been removed. Have you blocked someone? If you block a member you won't see their posts, so perhaps that's the case here? :shrug:

:peace:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Not nice. Warning point issued.
That is not the case here (blocked members' comments still show a green box) but unlike the lame troll, I can accept when I made a factual mistake...and even apologise when I wrongly told someone "you don't know what you're talking about"... It's really not a big deal ! :nod:

Haze Mister,
Top Bottom