Can someone tell me why....... ? (New Post Indicators Disappearing)

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I can't figure this out, and it only happens here and one other forum:

If I'm logged in, the forum shows me all the new threads or added posts to threads (brightly bold highlighted) that I haven't read since my last visit. However, when/if I'm called away from my puter for a period of time and then return, all the brightly bold highlighted unread threads are then gone.

Which leaves me to go look at the dates of the last posts, click on the last page and start back tracking by memory.

I'm using FireFox if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions ??

TIA

smokum,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
This happens to me using Opera, so it isn't a browser issue. Check the software on that other forum. I bet it's FluxBB.

I have a permanently open tab for FC. If I leave it in a thread, it screws up the way you describe. If I leave it on the main index page then this does not happen. I'm not sure if it happens when I leave it on a forum index page. I should test.

Anyway, I concluded a long time ago, possibly incorrectly, that FLuxBB does not handle cookies as well as it should. I try not to leave a thread open for too long, but I've never tried to figure out how long it takes before it screws you.

pakalolo,

smokum

Thanks for your insight.....

Hopefully there is a workaround unknown to us both, because with the length of some threads/posts and attempting to maintain my concentration level (brain injury), it just causes me added frustration by attempting to speed read, which means I don't get to absorb the info properly without going through the process I do to catch up that I mentioned above.

PEACE

smokum,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
This is a FluxBB issue and it is not easily solved. Basically, when your session times out (or you log off) FluxBB stores a cookie with a timestamp. On your next visit, everything older than that timestamp is considered read. The default timeout for FluxBB out of the box is 1800 somethings, which I'm guessing is seconds. I don't know if the default has been changed for FC, but I suspect it hasn't.

Tracking posts read across multiple threads and forums is a problem that has been around since the earliest BBS systems. USENET solved it with a (potentially) huge file that literally records the location and post ID of everything you read. This is a cumbersome solution that does not scale well, although it's still the way USENET works.

If you search through the FluxBB forums, you'll find a few threads that mention this. I won't get into details here but the developers are aware of the issue and have reasons for doing things the way they do.

pakalolo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I think you need to check the box that says "keep me logged in forever" or whatever it says. I don't have the problem you mentioned on chrome, at home and at work, or between both!

sessnet,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have a strange problem using Firefox on this computer. As I read through new posts, the thread titles lose their bold highlight, indicating that there are no "new" posts in that thread. However as soon as I make a post, all the threads that I just read revert back to "unread/bold" as if I just logged on and hadn't read any threads for the day. I have a feeling it is a cookie issue, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can to about it. :/

Stu,

smokum

Ok, thanks for everyones input......

I've been doing this ever since registering and just never got around to asking about it, but with the forum so busy lately I figured it was time to do so & see if it was just something I wasn't setting in Firefox or not.

It appears it's not, and others experience the same thing..... so, life goes on, lol.

smokum,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Stu said:
I have a strange problem using Firefox on this computer. As I read through new posts, the thread titles lose their bold highlight, indicating that there are no "new" posts in that thread. However as soon as I make a post, all the threads that I just read revert back to "unread/bold" as if I just logged on and hadn't read any threads for the day. I have a feeling it is a cookie issue, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can to about it. :/

This is exactly what happens to me.

I use chrome.

MarcellusWiley,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Pakalolo is correct (for once :D). The "read topic tracking" in FluxBB is session based, you can read more on what that means here, here, and here.

One way to deal with it is to click the "New" Topics:, link, keep that tab open and open those links in a new window. Not the most elegant solution, I know, but for now that what we've got.

vtac,

smokum

thks vtac...... I'll give that process a go for those days where I'm back n forth from the puter ;)

smokum,
Top Bottom