Can cannabis cause itching?

I’ve used cannabis for over 40 years but in the last several months I get really itchy legs after vaping cannabi, it might be something else, but it seems to always happen after vapin.

I vape for medical reasons so always at night right before I try to sleep, so may be a coincidenc, but figured I’d ask here.

Old B52H Gunner,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If you are allergic, I have a friend who even touching the nug, if he rubs it on a part of his skin, there's a rash... inhaling was especially bad for him with a lot of coughing lol

Shit Snacks,

Hippie

I've not heard of people itching from use but it's quite common to have a skin reaction from touching the plants so I know a few growers that have to cover up in the grow room

Robert-in-YEG

When your liver is stressed, being itchy is a common symptom.

For me, it manifests as itchy hands, itchy feet, or odd spurious itches anywhere in the body. This reaction can be a normal reaction to stress; it is often related to nerves and anxiety. However, persistent itches over the whole body is a sign of liver disease; please consult a doctor.

When I'm stoned, sometimes my hands and feet will burn with itch; it is mostly in my mind. The danger is scratching. When buzzed, it is easy to 'over-scratch' and cause skin problems. I am putting effort into learning to relax, and stop worrying.

Couchlock; that is the answer. Just get very stoned. It is easy to resist the urge to scratch when you just don't like moving.

Random thoughts on a Monday morning.....................

Robert-in-YEG

Warning - large amount of satire in this; just a Monday morning

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
If I break up nugs by hand and touch my face I get extremely itchy eyes.
Not sure if I'm getting tiny kief powder in my eye or if it's just an allergy thing. Doesn't happen elsewhere, although I wouldn't know as I have eczema and itch anyway :)

GoldenBud

Like some people got itching from the fragrances in "Deodorant" products, some people will have itching from Cannabis' terpenes. very individual.

GoldenBud,

Robert-in-YEG

For me, large doses of cannabis has at times, have caused itching. Some strains seem to cause more itching than others.

If it is a passing itch that goes away after a few hours, or even a day, it is likely just an annoying itch. Drinking more water, or taking a bath often helps. If the itch persists, see a doctor. If you are itchy, if you have low energy or if you have signs of jaundice, avoid alcohol. Most drugs have some effect on the liver. The liver is what cleans our blood. Always a good idea to seek proper medical guidance, when it involves the liver.

The medical advice I was given regarding cannabis dosing was to keep it under 2g/day at a maximum. That was the maximum. A good target is 1g/day. Measure out 1g at the start of the day, and go from there. Along with that, came the usual doctor chatter about tolerance, abuse, and spending life in a haze. Don't drink alcohol or take benaydryl with the weed, trying maximize the high. Keep notes, note the effects, and then discuss with the medical expert. Don't chase the dragon; there is a big difference between medicinal and recreational use.

Poor liver function, or a stressed liver can cause pruritus.

Drink water, take magnesium. Weed, antidepressants, and other drugs can leach magnesium, potassium, and mess up electrolytes. Eat bananas, drink Gatorade, or take a supplement. Being magnesium deficient can affect mood disorders, sleep, and other things. Talk to someone who knows about nutrition, not just a regular MD. Not all doctors really understand nutrition, but that is just my opinion. A nutritionist, or medical doctor trained in nutrition, or a reputable natural health professional may be a better bet.

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: passenger

Sparkpug

I usually take 30mg of MS Contin twice a day for pain and it makes me itch like a motherpugger, especially when I take it on time at 12h apart. Cannabis doesn't seem to directly hurt or help when I itch from morphine. I usually have bad experiences when I wake up in the middle of the night and my calf is on fire with a horrible feeling and I feel compelled to scratch. Last time I did that I scratched so much when I touched my fingers they were wet with blood. The backs of both calves and my shoulders are usually where I scratch too much.

The big help with cannabis though is that it lets me cheat and spread out the time in between needing another dose of morphine, lessening the itch overall.

Knewt

I seem to be the opposite with cannabis. I start itching when I’m stressed, vaping weed reduces the itching almost immediately.

Knewt,
Top Bottom