California medical marijuana card

1973PortlandToker

I'm going to be in L.A. in October, and would like to get a California medical marijuana card. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a doctor or clinic to get a card. I'll be mostly in the west L.A. and Santa Monica areas., but don't mind travelling further.

Also, would they necessarily require proof of California residency? I'm from out of state (but a former Californian, and regret leaving).

1973PortlandToker,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
There is still the tax benefits of being a med patient, but otherwise agree that it is somewhat meaningless these days... it may be important if he 1973 is currently living in a state with reciprocity for medical users.

@1973PortlandToker ~ They are giving away med cards. IMO save the time on your trip and do it online before you go on a virtual visit. Enjoy your time at the dispensaries and not chasing docs.

FlyingLow,

FLelder ent

" IMO save the time on your trip and do it online before you go on a virtual visit. Enjoy your time at the dispensaries and not chasing docs. "
This!

I got a California Medical card in 2018 online, I think I had a 2 minute telephone call with the Dr., immediately approved, you had online access to the dispensaries and delivery companiesthat was part of their network. It was really easy and very convenient! I was in La Jolla and the Dr. was in Malibu. :peace:

FLelder ent,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I did not.

Used my out of state ID, told them I'd been living in Cali for over two weeks (I was on extended vacation), I even provided the Ritz at Marina Del Ray as my mailing address!

Cheers - go have fun!

FlyingLow,

1973PortlandToker

I did not.

Used my out of state ID, told them I'd been living in Cali for over two weeks (I was on extended vacation), I even provided the Ritz at Marina Del Ray as my mailing address!

Cheers - go have fun!

Interesting. I'll show up when I'm in CA and try something similar.

I just went to two places online and they wanted me to upload my CA driver's license. But it may be more relaxed if you're in the state.

Last edited:
1973PortlandToker,

1973PortlandToker

Interesting. I'll show up when I'm in CA and try something similar.

I just went to two places online and they wanted me to upload my CA driver's license. But it may be more relaxed if you're in the state.

Well, look what I found:

Do I need to be a resident in California to make a medical marijuana card?​

You need to be present in California State at the time of consultation with a medical health professional. It is not necessary for you to be a resident of California. Many people from out of the state make their medical marijuana cards in California.

It's a little more than halfway down the home page, in the questions section.

:leaf::tup:

1973PortlandToker,

1973PortlandToker

On the other hand:

"You must provide proof of ID; a government or state-issued ID card or a driver’s license is acceptable. Only residents of the state of California can apply, and they must provide proof of residency. You can meet the criteria via a mortgage or rental agreement, utility bill, or DMV motor vehicle registration."

I haven't looked, but assume the statute requires you be a California resident. Even if so, the application can be modified by things like court decisions.

1973PortlandToker,

1973PortlandToker

Does anyone know of a clinic in the L.A. area with an office where you go for an evaluation? I did an internet search and tried calling several clinics in L.A. Most of the numbers were no longer working, and the one that did answer said to apply online.

Apparently most medical marijuana clinics have gone to online evaluations only.

1973PortlandToker,

Jess

I got mine online in minutes recently, but I'm a CA native. I lived in Santa Monica 1.5 years ago and if you're visiting Venice there's a couple of walk in spots. I believe they're still there. If you yelp it several come up. Close by, I believe the flagship Stizzy shop was there. that little area is charming if you can visit. if you can snag a walk-in reservation at Felix Trattoria, do it!

I'm in the San Fernando area and can check one out if you're coming to my side. I believe there's a couple of clinics in the Hollywood area also.

Last edited:

CaptBongRipper

Life goes on, man...
I never got one and I live in California, lol! Funny thing is I'm a chronic pain guy too. I really can't see a need for one, but it might be fun one just for additional stoner cred... lol!

CaptBongRipper

Life goes on, man...
Well, look what I found:

Do I need to be a resident in California to make a medical marijuana card?​

You need to be present in California State at the time of consultation with a medical health professional. It is not necessary for you to be a resident of California. Many people from out of the state make their medical marijuana cards in California.

It's a little more than halfway down the home page, in the questions section.

:leaf::tup:
That looks to be a bit of a scam as a legit California Medical Marijuana card is different:

Some dispensaries, such as EAZE only accepts the legit card. I'm not sure its worth the bother to get a bit of a tax break and supposedly access to more products. But I could be wrong.

CaptBongRipper,
Reactions: Jess
Top Bottom