Bush speach writer blames pot for AZ shooting

lepstadder

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/11/frum-fingers-marijuana-tucson-shooting_n_807408.html

http://www.frumforum.com/why-political-violence-fails-in-america

http://www.frumforum.com/marijuana-and-schizophrenia

After horrific shootings, we hear calls for stricter regulation of guns. The Tucson shooting should remind us why we regulate marijuana.

Jared Lee Loughner, the man held as the Tucson shooter, has been described by those who know as a "pot smoking loner."

He had two encounters with the law, one for possession of drug paraphernalia.
David Frum

What an ass

The article he cites

http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

WOW

lepstadder,

thedeserttortoise

The media smokescreen in action. Once again it's the evils of marijuana and gun's. The safety of all is at stake here..... remove both of those evils and life shall reign supreme once again.... Just surfing the web I came up with the following in about 15 minutes... what the fuck are these journalists doing with their time...? They are spouting the lies and propaganda of their masters... which by the way.. has very little to do with us peon's as a whole...

Doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Killing 225000 People .... Related Links: Medical Mistakes Kill 100000 per year ...
articles.mercola.com/sites/.../doctors-death-part-one.aspx - Cached - Similar

Saw this while surfing..... maybe these guys need more regulation.

And! Since the funding for mental health-care has been slashed to pieces over the years your definitely going to get a bunch more of these whaco's out there shooting people. Still, shootings are a drop in the bucket as compared to the legal methods that our corporations are allowed to maintain at the expense of human life...

33,808 killed in automobile accidents last year....

and from drugwarfacts.org: http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30

Tobacco 435,0001
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,0001
Alcohol 85,000 1
Microbial Agents 75,0001
Toxic Agents 55,0001
Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,3471
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,0002
Suicide 30,6223
Incidents Involving Firearms 29,0001
Homicide 20,3084
Sexual Behaviors 20,0001
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,0001, 5
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,6006
Marijuana 07

Here's something to ponder from this chart... incidents evolving firearms is 29,001... cigs kill almost fifteen times that number and you don't here them calling for stricter control there. No... not with the billions being made off sales and related cancer and health care...

here's another:

Check out alcohol related death. Isn't it crazy how all these people want to condemn guns, pot, and other stuff that there is no money in it for the corporations. Toxic agents kill more people than guns (almost twice the number) yet every-time there is a bill to limit toxic waste... it gets defeated by the likes of Monsanto, or DuPont. These guy's are pulling the trigger of toxic death on children for Christ sakes.

Now for the evil drug...cannabis: This is notes from the above chart..

(1998 - marijuana)
"3. The most obvious concern when dealing with drug safety is the possibility of lethal effects. Can the drug cause death?

"4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.

"5. This is a remarkable statement. First, the record on marijuana encompasses 5,000 years of human experience. Second, marijuana is now used daily by enormous numbers of people throughout the world. Estimates suggest that from twenty million to fifty million Americans routinely, albeit illegally, smoke marijuana without the benefit of direct medical supervision. Yet, despite this long history of use and the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply no credible medical reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a single death.

"6. By contrast aspirin, a commonly used, over-the-counter medicine, causes hundreds of deaths each year.

"7. Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage fifty percent of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity. A number of researchers have attempted to determine marijuana's LD-50 rating in test animals, without success. Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.

"8. At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

"9. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity."
Source:
US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 56-57.
http://druglibrary.net/olsen/MEDICAL/YOUNG/young4.

In reality I'm against most regulation as I have found that its almost always pushed by lobbyists with an agenda focused on higher profits to some corporation. In quite a few countries south of our border you can get what we call prescriptions for the likes of vicoden and percocet over the counter at the local pharmacy's. In the countries I visited, I didn't find them any more crime ridden than the streets of our own country.

thedeserttortoise,

Nycdeisel

this is disgusting, and I like the drugwarfacts site, really cool charts and graphs

Nycdeisel,

vapirtoo

These facts reveal our society for what it really is... a giant
system for accumulating wealth while destroying everything
and everyone that tries to hinder it. :uhoh:
Damn, I love the American ideal; I absolutely hate the
American reality.
I guess that's one reason I vape every day. :2c: :peace:

vapirtoo,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
editted:

Did you get the impression it was his real opinion, or was it another example of Modern PR? and a Political Consultant was really pulling the levers behind the curtain?

oz_curtain.JPG

watch out for Pundits (paid professional opinion leaders, who may or may not help push political agendas of others) and Popular Media efforts to manufacture consent about nixxing any marijuana legalization...i think they're going to ratchet up the hate machine some more ahead of any elections, but i could be wrong.

I'll be watching, cuz i know what they're capable of...stoners mixing pot candy into halloween candy, that was dispicable, but effective, right?

I'll be watching and so should you!
images

just a note: good episode of www.DemocracyNow.org today talked about Arizona's budget cuts for mentally ill people, and their permissive gun culture.

VWFringe,

aero18

vaporist
Willful ignorance seems to be characteristic of that former administration.

aero18,

shantytown007

The commenters over there ripped his arguments to shreds. They (the commentors) actually seem like a pretty sharp bunch.

shantytown007,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
ha, wow if we are going to make such simple and general statements lets just blame the gun, since it was the only object with the capacity to kill up to 30 people in under a few minutes, yet still be hidden in his pocket. Morons.

What is this reefer madness? :rolleyes:

thedeserttortoise pretty much ended this thread IMO. Too much common sense and facts in his post to even consider arguing this. How many idiot's actually believe this crap?

aesthyrian,
Top Bottom