bitter taste with SOME strains, what could it mean?

questionmark654

So I use a Mighty set to 180 or 185 F, and I live in Cali and buy regulated flower. Sometimes when I grind the flower it feels more moist and heavy, in this case it's difficult to produce vapor with the first few draws. However, these first few hits produce a very bitter taste without much vapor. It seems almost like the plant material needs to get "primed" by the hot airflow before it can start producing normal draws full of vapor. But this bitter taste makes me wonder, what is it? Could it be the taste of pesticides that are harmful to health? Or could it just be a harmless taste that emerges naturally when the grower doesn't dry it enough or flushing enough before harvest?
I'm not too familiar with the growing process. It appears that the state requires these licensed sellers to test the flower and there's a list of pesticides that they can't use. But that doesn't mean they're free of all pesticides or chemicals.
On the other hand, I've had eighths of more dry flower which seem to produce vapor immediately and don't have any bitter taste. Which makes me wonder if the flower's moisture level is linked to this bitter taste and lack of fast vapor.
Has anyone experienced these things before, and what do you think is the cause of bitter taste?

shredder

So I use a Mighty set to 180 or 185 F, and I live in Cali and buy regulated flower. Sometimes when I grind the flower it feels more moist and heavy, in this case it's difficult to produce vapor with the first few draws. However, these first few hits produce a very bitter taste without much vapor. It seems almost like the plant material needs to get "primed" by the hot airflow before it can start producing normal draws full of vapor. But this bitter taste makes me wonder, what is it? Could it be the taste of pesticides that are harmful to health? Or could it just be a harmless taste that emerges naturally when the grower doesn't dry it enough or flushing enough before harvest?
I'm not too familiar with the growing process. It appears that the state requires these licensed sellers to test the flower and there's a list of pesticides that they can't use. But that doesn't mean they're free of all pesticides or chemicals.
On the other hand, I've had eighths of more dry flower which seem to produce vapor immediately and don't have any bitter taste. Which makes me wonder if the flower's moisture level is linked to this bitter taste and lack of fast vapor.
Has anyone experienced these things before, and what do you think is the cause of bitter taste?

It's probably terpenes. That's the first thing you taste. And terpenes change as they age. Drier most likely would also be older.

If you compare the varieties that taste that way (bitter taste is something im not familier with) there might be a terpene common to each.

shredder,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

please share a photo of the buds, probably just terpenes. but vaping the terpenes should have very pleasent effect imho.

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

It could be the bud has been badly cured so you are tasting chlorophyll? After the first few draws the bud has dried and the chlorophyll has gone revealing the terps?
Just a thought....
afaik, top shelf buds contain something like 30% thca, 10% water, 3% terpenes, so what is the rest? like 57%, some another cannabinoids, i think like 50% of the bud is chlorophyll. we all vape it. but what i thought after reading your msg, maybe he got much more water in his buds and they are soluble in h2o so he can taste more shitty bitter taste? that the water "took" a bit chlorophyll and it tastes bad...... that could be i think! let's wait for pic

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

Damn, sign me up for that strain!
sorry if I couldn't explain it so well, i meant that still, 50% of the bud is something "not medicinal" like Chlorophyll or something else... that we still vape and has no effects on our mind

or you mean sign me in on 30% thca bud 3% terps? man, these phenos are really great will keep you posted when i got some :lol:

GoldenBud,
Top Bottom