Best of the Crafty by Storz & Bickel thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well a few more observations ... Im on day two with the Crafty and I just had a few sessions over the past couple of hours. I cant help but be impressed. A few things;
- I think it can be either a session style vape likethe Solo or can be used for faster extractions
- it works well fully packed
- it works well lightly packed with the oil pad
- the oil pad is awesome. do not fear it. my most enjoyable sessions so far are .05 with the oil pad
- it can handle concentrates. Ive tried a couple of shatter and herb sandwiches and it vaped nicely. there was no mess left in the chamber
-the battery life is short. I agree with the 4 sessions or so. maybe 5 or 6 but I dont intend to find out. Based that on the charge left
- the vapor is very cool even at 210c The cooling part is excellent. The design is similar to that used with the Plenty but is made of a different material
- the unit looks great. Its small and looks classy to me. Its nice to hold. The black is stealthy.
- about the temps it holds or regulates the temp very well. For example set at 210c it will go up as high as 214c and as low as 207c from my observations
- no real technique required although some technique may be beneficial. Use the app to monitor your inhale and how it effects the temp to improve your technique
-I love the app. It is so easy and convenient. I am running it on an iphone and through my tablet which is Android. It easily goes between the two devices without trouble
- If you want to use it while plugged in the chord is ridiculously short
- Flavour is very nice but personally I wouldnt compare to an Enano.

Thats all for now. Im sooooo medicated :leaf::zzz::zzz:

green2brown

So has anyone been hitting their Crafty through glass? I just paired mine to a Mobius Ion Matrix and it milked like an EVO. 2 HUGE hits at max temp finished off the fully-packed bowl and now I'm way past where I want to be for this time of day. Holy shit.

green2brown,
Reactions: OG_LH

philosopher

Update after about a week and a half:

There are a ton of subtleties that this vape has that I think sets it apart from most other portable vapes. I and other posters have gone over them to my satisfaction. So I have spent the last few days really thinking hard about the downsides of the vape.

The inescapable conclusion that I have reached is that the battery life just isn't enough. As I've stated before, battery life isn't a big deal to me. With that said, having gotten a feel for the overall battery life, I have to say that I'd have a hard time recommending this vape to anyone who puts a premium on battery life.

Cold weather is the real killer for this vaporizer. If I'm indoors or otherwise around room temperature, I can eke out 6 bowls pretty comfortably. But outside, in 40 degree weather? 4 tops. Granted, the manual does recommend against cold weather usage, and I'm sure heating and power consumption played a big role in that recommendation, but it's still something people should take into consideration if they live in an area with cold winters.

The other bummer with regards to battery life is that the vape charges much slower than it consumes power. This means that even at roughly half charge, if you use the vape for 3 consecutive bowls while it is connected to power, you might nevertheless run out of juice.

Granted, these are contrived situations. I don't actually know anyone who vapes more than 5 bowls without having access to a USB charger at some point during that process, and many vapes don't even let you use them while charging. Still, I can't help but recommend the Mighty for people who really need a long battery life, given that it is ostensibly the same in pretty much every other way. As for me, I would gladly trade battery life for a smaller size. The Crafty is also more discreet (no screen = harder to tell that it's a vape), but it is a minor bummer that anyone who has cursory familiarity with vapes will think you're using an iolite. The visual resemblance in one's hand is uncanny.

And the big plus side is that I really can't find anything else wrong with this vape - absolutely nothing. If you don't like only having 2 preset temperatures, changing temps in the app is a breeze. The one-minute shutoff really is a non-issue because the unit heats up so quickly, you could forget about it for 5 minutes and it will still be ready in 30 seconds or less. When filled fully, the Crafty isn't the most efficient out there, but a tiny amount with the liquid pad can create 1 or 2 massive hits that I've never seen with <0.1g in any other vape.

Looks like I'm still in the honeymoon stage...

Heads up for any other early adopters: be very careful when prying off the Crafty hologram to clean the cooling unit. I used what I thought was a moderate amount of force, and snapped a chip off one of the railings. It still locks into place, but when unlocked it wobbles around. I contacted S&B America and they got back to me in like ten minutes (!). They confirmed there was no problem with it as long as it locks into place, but to keep them updated if anything else goes wrong. I've had nothing but a fantastic experience with their customer service over the years.

philosopher,

smokie

Crafty has arrived and is on charge. Will give my first impressions of unit later. Then will follow it up in a week or so once I have had some proper time with unit. :)

First impression. Well made unit with a lot of thought gone into its design. The design seems more for function than looks. Now to the best part. The vapor it produces is excellent. This is first impression and I'm only using the set temps it came with. But was surprised at its vapor production on lowest setting and thought the taste was amazing. (At the minute I have a bit of a cold so will give better view on taste in the future) had a good few pulls then hit the booster and continued with great taste until spent.
The app is also really well done and very easy to use. Also has instructions etc.
I know most of what I have said has probably been said I'm just adding my own opinion.
As a personal portable it seems great and I am happy so far.

I just realised back to back posts. Sorry mods.

After spending a few more sessions I'm happy with purchase. The problems people have reported like leaky tip I believe is a non issue, there is slight leakage but I think it's just the last piece of vape stuck in tube as there is no shotgun.thats still moving with momentum from last pull. Example on evo you lift tube to clear. And battery the battery life is shorter than solo but so are my sessions so I still get about 5-6 sessions. This is still with preset temps, as stated I have app and use it every time just never feel the need to change temps. And feel the effects without needing to go higher in temp.

My main concern before purchase was it might just be a more expensive ascent, it's not!
modnote: no worries!

smokie,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Ok ... I know I'm breaking the dual post rule ... but think this deserves a post of its own.

The Crafty draws slightly <1.5A while charging ... this is important as the adapter supplied is 2A but if one is looking for a portable USB battery pack to charge one's Crafty, or another USB adapter, one only requires a 1.5A/1500mA adapter/battery pack and it should charge at the same rate as a 2A pack or charger.

This makes a big difference especially in regards to USB battery packs as there are way more cost effective 1.5A battery packs available then there are 2A ones! Really provides many more options!

So the rule of thumb would be while purchasing USB battery packs to charge the Crafty:

- 2600mAh required per full charge
- 1.5A output required to charge at maximum charge rate

JCat,
Reactions: OG_LH

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Where is the money shot t-dub :haw:
Ask and ye shall receive. I had to shoot this in the wrong light in one take. At one point I was kinking the hose a bit and this is definitely not my best effort, left handed, but it came out ok. I won't be doing this much since the cooling unit makes water filtration unnecessary but it was fun . . . :)

t-dub,

Kaptan

Just because this needs to be stated an additional time, the OP(oil pad) is the key to having a long session with almost HALF amount of herb needed and the OP placed on top. Even if the bowl is filled to the brim, you can squeeze the OP on top. When the session is complete, the ABV comes out in the shape of a puck. Just enjoyed a 20 hit session :cool: on 385F.

Kaptan,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Crafty maintenance features . . . :tup:

I love how S&B builds in the little "notches" so you can use the included vape tool to get the o-rings out. Most of you are familiar with the one in the cooling unit but I found another one that is not so obvious. I was attempting to remove the o-ring from around the filling chamber and was having difficulty. Then I noticed that both sides of the design are not the same. On one side of Crafty the ribbing doesn't connect straight, it slopes downwards. By inserting the vape tool and using that slope as a sliding guide, it popped that o-ring right out of there. Amazing attention to detail . . . :)

Edit: Looks like the fasteners are a torx T-6

crafty_9.jpg

--- Cooling unit maintenance notch pictured below VVV
crafty_10.jpg

mod note: After this post was selected, t-dub asked to have this note added:

In the interest of putting good info out to the public, I was incorrect in this post about the top photo being a maintenance feature, it was just a broken fin. The bottom photo is correct however.

Last edited by a moderator:
t-dub,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom