Best long term and heavy use portable?

deadsouthernblake

Like the topic says I'm looking to hear opinions on what are some of the best choices for a portable that's good for daily heavy use and should have a fairly long lifespan. I've seen and read where some reviewers were talking how some models could be thought of as a "throw away model." Because due to their design a deep cleaning is not possible and after a couple of years of heavy use eventually enough gunk and particles get down inside the unit to start causing problems. I do see how that could potentially cause some problems in the long run.

I know the Mighty+ seems to be towards the top of just about every "best vape for" list I've seen. I'm considering getting a Mighty+ but it might take me a couple extra weeks to get up the extra cash and seeing how I'm down to only my old as dirt Solo and a XMax pen that I hardly ever use. I'd like to go ahead and get something ordered in case the Solo decides to shit out on me. I couldn't be that mad, it's got to be close to ten years old now and it's been used multiple times everyday,

I was really thinking about going with a HR Rogue but that was one of the design styles that was mentioned to only expect a couple of years of solid use, but I guess for the pricetag it's not to bad of a deal.

I also was checking out the new Pax Plus. (please don't crucify me) LoL I had the old orginial Pax back several years ago. It was my second vape after my Vapir NO2. I did like the vape expect for the few issues I think most folks had, like the constant need for cleaning, the mouthpiece getting stuck and the size of the large bowl. But looks like they tweaked some of those issues with a new mouthpiece, an insert to make the bowl half size. From what I read cleaning the device is easier and with the new design of the screens it's not needed as often,

So I'm up for any suggestions

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Do you have other requirements? Most torch-driven vapes will last forever with reasonable care. But they can be pretty radically different, from the vapman to the Sticky Bricks to the Anvil. And everything in between.

If you are only looking at battery devices, I would look at repairability. RBT is now defunct, but anyone could repair nearly any part of a Milaana3. The heater mesh is a challenge but not insurmountable.

Tinymight is also very repairable but not for someone without a lot of repair and electronics know-how. And if the board dies that is it. However it does have a 10 year warranty and excellent customer service.

Anyway so more info in your tolerance and preferences might narrow it down more.

Last edited:

Robert-in-YEG

Like the topic says I'm looking to hear opinions on what are some of the best choices for a portable that's good for daily heavy use and should have a fairly long lifespan. I've seen and read where some reviewers were talking how some models could be thought of as a "throw away model." Because due to their design a deep cleaning is not possible and after a couple of years of heavy use eventually enough gunk and particles get down inside the unit to start causing problems. I do see how that could potentially cause some problems in the long run.

I know the Mighty+ seems to be towards the top of just about every "best vape for" list I've seen. I'm considering getting a Mighty+ but it might take me a couple extra weeks to get up the extra cash and seeing how I'm down to only my old as dirt Solo and a XMax pen that I hardly ever use. I'd like to go ahead and get something ordered in case the Solo decides to shit out on me. I couldn't be that mad, it's got to be close to ten years old now and it's been used multiple times everyday,

I was really thinking about going with a HR Rogue but that was one of the design styles that was mentioned to only expect a couple of years of solid use, but I guess for the pricetag it's not to bad of a deal.

I also was checking out the new Pax Plus. (please don't crucify me) LoL I had the old orginial Pax back several years ago. It was my second vape after my Vapir NO2. I did like the vape expect for the few issues I think most folks had, like the constant need for cleaning, the mouthpiece getting stuck and the size of the large bowl. But looks like they tweaked some of those issues with a new mouthpiece, an insert to make the bowl half size. From what I read cleaning the device is easier and with the new design of the screens it's not needed as often,

So I'm up for any suggestions
What do you describe when you say, 'daily heavy use'? There are a lot of opinions as to what heavy use is.

In terms of simplicity, my choice would be the Arizer Solo II. In terms of cleaning and care, it doesn't get any simpler than a hot glass tube. Simple to load, simple to clean, simple to use.

The glass tubes are easy to fill. Some vapes need a tool to fill. The Flowermate needs a funnel. Other vapes, a small loading spoon. With the glass tube it is very simple to fill, and there is little difference between loads. It is easy to get predictable, consistent hits. This is good for medical users.

The Solo II is built like a tank and is well suited for heavy use. The battery life is reasonable, and the unit is small enough to pack around. I don't use any screens. The only consumable part is the glass tube. Glass tubes do break, accidents happen, but some caution can limit that concern.

In terms of efficiency, the Arizer is good at stretching a few grams. There is little waste.

What is lacking on the Solo II is a timer to show the session. I have found a stopwatch to be useful when using the Solo II.

Another decent vape is the XMax V3 Pro. There is no shortage of recommendations for this unit. A good unit it is, but it does not have the build quality or heft of the Solo II.

Robert-in-YEG

Texus

Another long-term consideration is battery degradation over time. That'd be my big issue with recommending the Mighty. And a big advantage (in addition to better flavor) of the Angus. Usability between the 2 is near identical. BUT Angus is so new to market that I hesitate to recommend it in your case. And they are still tweaking some aspects of the mouthpiece/cooling unit design.

So I might lean towards the Boundless Tera. A bit bulky but pretty well established.

For a smaller footprint, I suggest the XMax v3 Pro or the Roffu. They really nailed these designs. Been out for maybe a yr or less but more established manufacturer.

But for true long lasting portable I'd go butane or a butane vape that can be used with an induction heater like the awesome iSpire Wand. Anvil is the heavy hitter here. Thermal Accumulator is new but lovely if you like the old school puffing experience. And Dynavap is the OG classic.

If you want a larger bowl for a butane vape that is still portable, take a look at the Micro v4 from O'Connell. It is an air intake design so torch only. And still gonna be a bit bulky. But still smaller than Mighty if maybe a bit wider.

One other area you could look into is box mod options like Stempod. But I don't really know that world.

And totally agree with @Grass Yes about ease of repairabiliy (and hopefully little need for specialized parts) if going with a smaller one person/mom and pop manufacturer. And maybe go ahead and order some spare parts for backup when you buy...

And @Robert-in-YEG makes a great case for the Solo II which I have no familiarity with personally.

Last edited:

BakedDiogenes

If you want a larger bowl for a butane vape that is still portable, take a look at the Micro v4 from O'Connell. It is an air intake design so torch only. And still gonna be a bit bulky. But still smaller than Mighty if maybe a bit wider.
I’d actually recommend the V3 (if still offered) over the V4. Less hot air irritation in the throat.

BakedDiogenes,

deadsouthernblake

I've never tried any of the torch driven devices, I would like to have one in the future but I think right now I'd rather stick with a battery powered model.

I forgot to add the Tiny Might in my first post. It's also on my short want list. But I don't really have much electronic know how or at least on the repair side of things. I wanna think one of my drawbacks on the TM was that I seen in a couple of reviews where they said it was a great device but maybe not the best to be used several times a day, day after day. If I remember right this was mainly due the need to do a time consuming cleaning daily.

Far as my tolerance goes, its quite substantial. It really surprises a lot of folks lol I wish that wasn't the case. But I have a few different medical issues like chronic pain and stomach that I treat with herb. issues so taking a TB is not really an option.

I usually like to session vape as they say, with the Solo I usually will pack the bowl three to four times, starting on setting 4 (350) then going up to step 7 (430) after a few hits on each until the bowl is spent.

Texus

I’d actually recommend the V3 (if still offered) over the V4. Less hot air irritation in the throat.
Interesting. Hadn't been an issue I'd noticed in the v4 personally. But may not be as sensitive to that.

Counterpoint would be that everything is protected in v4 (like the larger Sticky Brick Jr as well).

Texus,

Robert-in-YEG

Another long-term consideration is battery degradation over time.
This is important. Easily replaceable 18650 batteries are always better than non-removable options.

The Solo II does not have simple replacement batteries, but it does use standard batteries. Replacing the batteries requires soldering. The Flowermate is similar.

So I might lean towards the Boundless Tera. A bit bulky but pretty well established.
My Tera is a sad disappointment.

The Roffu looks very interesting. That is next on my wish list.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the availability of replacement parts and accessories. Having access to the bits and pieces is always nice.

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I wanna think one of my drawbacks on the TM was that I seen in a couple of reviews where they said it was a great device but maybe not the best to be used several times a day, day after day. If I remember right this was mainly due the need to do a time consuming cleaning daily.
I use my tinymight every day and I occasionally have to clean my stems and WPA. Definitely less often than other vapes with heavy use. Maybe I am an outlier but I can't even picture a lower maintenance vape.

Edited to add: I just now thought of the Cooling Unit. I haven't used that in a very long time. It does get dirty quicker than other parts although an iso bath takes care of it. I recommend a spare CU of you like them. However I would really recommend a better cooling stem or just using the WPA with a j-hook.

For some folks, the original TM needed to have the battery contacts cleaned and adjusted. I have never done any of that shit and my old TM continues to work great. I have not heard of people doing that with the TM2, but time will tell.

I am of the opinion if you stay away from the big commercial vape manufacturers you will do better on longevity and repairability. Although any new-to-market vape can have issues with quality control. Including some mentioned in this thread.

If we weren't talking about portables, I would have a lot of electric recommendations. Most of those are made for the long haul.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I forgot to add the Tiny Might in my first post. It's also on my short want list. But I don't really have much electronic know how or at least on the repair side of things. I wanna think one of my drawbacks on the TM was that I seen in a couple of reviews where they said it was a great device but maybe not the best to be used several times a day, day after day. If I remember right this was mainly due the need to do a time consuming cleaning daily.

I think you should try the TM and you may be surprised how durable it is and how effective (go for WPA with hook/glass and/or aftermarket stems

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
At first this really confused me. I think you are referring to the cleaning, but I suppose you could think the TM is terrible. That would surprise me but people are complicated. 🙂
Terrible TYPO = TERRIFIC

Actually I meant DURABLE !!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Voice to text typo corrected... :rolleyes::ko:

Since I don't even bother with the cooling unit anymore cleaning could not be more minimal for me, quick and easy to do, but few and far between bc not so necessary

Arawfish

Green Thumb
When you say “long term” and “portable” for someone with heavy use, the first thing that comes to mind is the Anvil. I know you said you don’t want to do a torch driven vape yet, but they really are apocalypse vapes and will outlast most other vapes on the market, especially electric ones. They also hit pretty hard and is what some would consider to be a “portable heavy”. One of my personal favourites so I may be bias but it’s not for no reason.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
The Roffu looks very interesting. That is next on my wish list.
The Roffu is currently on sale for US$99 (Onyx Grey version),
I managed 650 puffs without cleaning the cooling unit @deadsouthernblake, it started to make bubbling noises it was so full of reclaim,
1657084083053-jpg.38113

Quick swap batteries are great,
Add a WPA for US$10,

cptofnthng

While S&B vapes might not be the most durable, i can speak for their CS, my buddy had his crafty replaced for free at least 3 times now. Even outside of warranty. Could be different because its the German headquarter though.

Tweakz

without the need of performing "tinymight fix" ?
I twice change the temp calibration on the TM OG, but it’s still works fine . Now she dust in the shelf :)

it seems to me, that TM 1.5 is really have a slighty better performance( because of new board) , right temp calibration , and can give a much more even extracted abv . It’s my daily driver since a get it my hands . big love. with rimmed basket it’s a Incredible one-hitter- beast for me

deadsouthernblake

The Roffu is currently on sale for US$99 (Onyx Grey version),
I managed 650 puffs without cleaning the cooling unit @deadsouthernblake, it started to make bubbling noises it was so full of reclaim,
1657084083053-jpg.38113

Quick swap batteries are great,
Add a WPA for US$10,
Kool deal, it's definitely one I've considered and have on my short list of possibilities. I've watched a few video reviews the past couple of days.

Just curios here, on reclaim is there any difference in the purity and potency when it turns a dark color like this than the more honey gold color that it tends to be in a new or freshly cleaned chamber?

deadsouthernblake,
Reactions: LesPlenty

ElMetrico

I have owned a Mighty for 6 years now and I must say that even though it has seen a lot of abuse, the devjce is still going strong. I did notice a degradation in battery life the last few months. But it must have >1000 hours on it, to bad it doesn't have a counter on it like the crafty.

So even though it has non replaceable batteries, the device is so well designed it still lasts very long.

ElMetrico,
Top Bottom