Best dry herb vaporiser for mouth to lung vaping? Ideally with an intake hole that can be covered?

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Lots of good info and insight in this thread that a person new to vaping would benefit from reading. I believe that the mouth is the perfect vapor conditioning chamber (MTL). The mouth cools, moisturizes and claims/recovers some particulates that would other wise end up in the lungs. Water pieces will accomplish this also, but IMHO at a cost of losing taste, potency and satisfaction. Your experience may differ.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I guess if I get a really nice thick smooth pure convection hit, you still get the flavor on your tongue as you inhale, and then when you exhale you can do so slowly and let it sit in your mouth then, very fun and flavorful experience too! Too much variety of course

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
It seems like beyond the first couple of hits all strains start to taste the same, whereas the taste is VERY obvious throughout the experience when combusted, even when combined with baccy. Anyone else notice this?
Sorry for the late reply to this but when I was converting to vaping I had the same experience.

Like you, I smoked spliffs with tobacco all day long. I had done this for ~20 yrs with another 10 before just smoking in the evening. When I was converting I felt all weed just tasted the same when vaped, except for maybe the first hit, where as I could experience all the aroma in a strain when smelling, or smoking.

2 years later, and 18 months smoke free I now agree with everyone else. It's impossible to taste the flavour in smoke now. I guess we get so used to that ash tray tobacco essence we somehow manage to completely ignore those harsh smoke flavours. I don't understand it, but that's what I've put it down to.

Fwiw, my favourite tasting strain has been constant throughout this process, it remains my best tasting, it just took some time for me to get used to the purer experience. It will come to you eventually, but it takes dedication. You're certainly on the way, and I applaud you for cutting down so much already.

I truly believe now, there’s a unmistakable “weed” smell and taste, almost primal, that comes from smoking. And I’m not talking about the “terpene hit” we get from vaping. I now believe once you take “that” taste away many people just feel like somethings missing.

With vaping you can get THE weeds taste, but not so much, that “weed taste.” If that makes any sense / cents.

This is exactly it. It's the exact same smell that makes me snap my head round when I walk past someone smoking a massive joint of some stinky skunk in park. It's just an unmistakeable 'weed' smell that's not particularly present in vaping for me, and it's something I really love.

Sorry for the late reply to this but when I was converting to vaping I had the same experience.

Like you, I smoked spliffs with tobacco all day long. I had done this for ~20 yrs with another 10 before just smoking in the evening. When I was converting I felt all weed just tasted the same when vaped, except for maybe the first hit, where as I could experience all the aroma in a strain when smelling, or smoking.

2 years later, and 18 months smoke free I now agree with everyone else. It's impossible to taste the flavour in smoke now. I guess we get so used to that ash tray tobacco essence we somehow manage to completely ignore those harsh smoke flavours. I don't understand it, but that's what I've put it down to.

Fwiw, my favourite tasting strain has been constant throughout this process, it remains my best tasting, it just took some time for me to get used to the purer experience. It will come to you eventually, but it takes dedication. You're certainly on the way, and I applaud you for cutting down so much already.

This is really helpful, thanks. That last statement really resonates with me and makes me think you get where my head is at. There are certain strains I just love so much, and have for over 10 years. The combination of flavour and effect is just perfect and it saddens me to think I won't ever experience that again if I switch 100% to vaping. It's not the work of potentially having to find a new favourite strain for vaping, that actually sounds fun, it's more like the loss of a dear old friend. The fact that you retained your favourite gives me hope. May I ask - what was it that finally converted you away from combusting completely? Was it a certain vape or certain method? Did combustion just start to taste bad and you didn't want it anymore, or did you have to force yourself off the joints? Do you miss combusting?

I imagine anyone reading this who didn't get into cannabis via smoking flower probably thinks this whole conversation sounds very odd. To those people who are struggling to see where I'm coming from, allow me to use a lazy comparison -

If weed is steak, your favourite strain is A5 wagyu. Now imagine you've cooked that wagyu in a sous vide bath to the perfect internal doneness, but then you decide to skip the sear because you don't like the smoky flavour and the charred carbon is bad for your health. So you eat it as is, slimy and grey and unseasoned, but technically cooked. Yes you can still taste it, in fact you can taste the unadulterated flavour of the meat much more accurately, but it's not as nice.

It's a laboured metaphor I know, and it's actually not fair - the flavour of vaped weed isn't gross like an unseared steak, it's nice and light, it's floral and herby, but that's part of the problem. I favour dank stinky strains. In the room my weed smells like a sweaty locker room, rotten fruit and ammonia. All of that comes through nicely in the smoke, but when I vape it, it tastes positively inoffensive, on the first few pulls I get a watered down 'diet' version of some of those tasty terps I recognise, but from then on it tastes like it could be an organic air freshener or something. Unacceptably pleasant 😁

There is a compromise between flavor and harshness imo. All on demand convection vapes I've tried tend to have better flavor but are much harsher. They're also the worst vapes for MTL. If harshness really bothers you, I'd be very careful listening to the advice posted here. Most here prioritize flavor.

Can you (or someone) speak more to this please? I had assumed when flavour increases harshness would decrease, or that harshness was just related to taking huge, hot hits. When you say 'harshness' I assume you are talking about the dry tickliness that make you cough?

When I see people reviewing vapes online, it seems 50% of the time someone takes a big rip, they cough. So is this something that doesn't go away? I never cough when I'm smoking joints and I don't want to cough when I'm vaping. The dyna with the vortex doesn't make me cough. The mighty does irritate my throat though and can make me cough on big rips or high temps (I suspect it has a lot to do with dryness of the flower too, whether it's just come out of the jar or it's been in my stash tin for 2 days). Having said that, I'm doing much better with it now that I attached the vortex stem. I am aware the VAS is real and I have officially caught the bug. I think you're trying to kindly tell me that it's foolish to go flavour chasing with multiple pricey vapes when I'm not even fully adjusted to the vaping experience yet, I'm just going to end up disappointed, and I suspect you are 100% correct. With the price of tobacco here in the UK, I'm saving enough to buy a mighty a month anyway :)

That's not a reviewers thing, but pretty much the norm with most devices.

To be honest I originally wrote 'crazy 7-8 second drags that most of you guys seem to prefer' but then I actually changed it as I realised I didn't know how any of you vape, and was making assumptions based on youtube reviewers:rofl:I am now experimenting with longer, slower drags on the mighty and I'm finding as long as I keep my draw soft and controlled then I can take a bigger, longer pulls without coughing up a fit, and it's a bit more satisfying. However I still miss part of the flavour after the inhale when drawing direct to lung compared to MTL with the dyna.

Thanks all for the continued help. I really appreciate it.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Well, to be perfectly frank: it's foolish to go flavour chasing with multiple pricey vapes when you're not even fully adjusted to the vaping experience yet, you are just going to end up disappointed, and you suspect I am 100% correct. :-)

Seriously: there's no official pathway we have to follow in order to find the perfect device. The device that made me finally stop combusting was my third one and it was actually totally unexpected – the more you try, the more you learn, all good.

So I kind of agree with you, that distinct flavor of a joint is hard to mimic. Clouds, throat hit, high, that's all possible with a vape, but that smoky weed flavor, well... it's smoke. :-) And I totally get it, my thing was a joint and black coffee – absolute heaven for me.

All you can do now about it is be open to explore while hoping for your taste buds to wake up. One thing that heavily increases the depth of flavor for me is exhaling via the nose instead of the mouth, give it a try.

Edit: @harshness vs. flavor – I don't see that. I always try to avoid coughing (even though it's much less painful than smoke coughing) which is easy when I want to. When I try to ride the dragons of higher temps, I might cough, but I take that into account.

Vapereviewers wanna flex a bit sometimes, ya know?

Last edited:

im not a robot

this is a good thread, it brings up a lot of points that everyone transitioning more or less wonders about i think.

really not an expert here, but the way i understand @Farid 's point re harshness vs flavor - since convection vapes work primarily with hot air passing through the material, there is little one can do to avoid sucking in hot dry air, which will get uncomfortable. you can cool the vapor via various means, but all this will steal away some taste. conduction vapes generally produce vapour more readily, don't taste as good but are better suited for mtl as vapour is already produced by the oven independent of airflow. hybrid heating seems a good compromise (the mighty is considered a hybrid), but really dynavap is the only vape i like to use for mouth to lung - and i imagine nothing could beat it for a sense of familiarity when coming from joints.

my best tasting vape is a log, used natively - convection & a comparatively short vapour path. i usually use this only in the mid-temp range, anything hotter would quickly become too hot & harsh otherwise. i will still tire of the hot air after some time eventually. but the taste is phenomenal, and this is still my favourite vaporiser (for many reasons). for variation & portability (& vas) i got a fw7, i am extremely happy with. being a hybrid (mostly conduction) for me it seems to sit at the other end of the spectrum when compared to my log, really smooth vapour, great native cooling, and this one has really good taste too. but it does require a long draw as well.

i used to be a heavy cigarette smoker, and went through various iterations of substitutions when trying to quit. while i think there is a whole world of taste to explore in ecigs (loved the naturally extracted tobaccos), it always will be fundamentally different than actual smoke. better taste, for sure, but a faulty comparison. and it is easy to underestimate the extend of habit. i am still missing cigarettes and feeling shaky in my resolve to this day years later if i really start examining it. i had multiple failed attempts at quitting of course. yet the memory of how good a cigarette can taste is never really satisfied, at least with this first cigarette one has after even just a couple of days of not smoking. on the contrary, it usually tastes quite disgusting. but the memory remains.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
May I ask - what was it that finally converted you away from combusting completely? Was it a certain vape or certain method? Did combustion just start to taste bad and you didn't want it anymore, or did you have to force yourself off the joints? Do you miss combusting?
Ultimately, desire.

I owned my extreme q many years before I decided to stop smoking, didn't use it that frequently. I started to cough badly every morning and figured that was my body telling me enough is enough. It took me a good few months to cut down, I even stopped vaporising for a couple of months in the middle of the process because the cough subsided, stupid mistake!

My method, I bought a nice, fancy nic Juice vape, some accessories for the eq to make it perform better with less material, and a dynavap. I started by puffing on the ecig, and then a vape to try to replicate the NIC THC combo that I thought I was missing from vaping alone. Then I started to separate the NIC cravings and the desire to be high. For me this was revolutionary, and fascinating. I started to hook up the eq to a bong to allow me to turn the temp up with less irritation. The high temp was the key to satisfactory effects. It also caused some throat irritation and coughing, but way less irritating that the old smokers cough. This coughing gradually got less and less until these days a only cough if I have too large of a puff, also, I dont need the water conditioning any longer.

Now, here's where it got really interesting for me, I realised I could get higher, and more sedative experience when I stopped needing my ecig in the evening. I have a sleep disorder that was being helped but smoking spliffs, but it now felt like I was moving away from recreational and into a successful medical usage.

As the process progressed I did start to dislike the smoke, but it was still comforting to me. I did have to force myself to make the final push to ditch smoking all together, but I can honestly say I do not miss it in any way now, and when I have had a puff of a spliff I always ask myself why I did it afterwards, it's just not enjoyable anymore!

My advice would be take it at a pace that feels good to you, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Just be prepared to put in the work because vaping is massively more work than rolling a smoke, and also expect to spend some money finding a technique that works for you!

Antrim50

As an ex spliff smoker of many years I totally see where OP is coming from on this post, but I think the taste, high, and general overall feeling cannot be replicated with vapes, they have to be appreciated in a new way, for themselves.

Personally, I am much happier with the clean taste and flavour of vapes.

I do totally agree on preferring Mouth to lung rather than direct to lung. But I think if I'd never been a spliff smoker I wouldn't feel like this.

Ultimately there is no perfect vape. I switch between my Dyna and others. (have you tried glass like bb3/9?) I think it's better than simrell for taste and cooling.

The best taste and convenience and mouth to lung, I've found it with oil cartridges on a mod but I don't use these due to health concerns.

510 mods are a great idea but I never got to grips with mine and gave up after a few tries

Antrim50,
Top Bottom