• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Behold... The Canadian Winter

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I showed this thing in the Hopper IO thread and it got some reactions so I thought why not make my very first thread in the forum about it. I call this The Canadian Winter 🥶 and it's very effective at cooling the vapor without muting the flavor.20200726_121634.jpg

As you can see it's nothing revolutionary, glass beads inside a Sneaky Pete Globe or the C-150 on Vapenorth .What I like about this set-up is of course smoother and uncompromised flavor, but also the feeling of the globe in the hands. I always loved the feeling of the globe in my hand but curiously one of the things I don't like about it is the weight, I think it's too light for my liking. So I decided to add some glass beads inside the globe and problem solved, now the feeling in my hand is perfect. At the beginning I would still add water inside but after I got an Elev8 all glass Vapor Taming Device I got the idea of hitting the Globe dry and I've never looked back since. What I have inside the Globe is 500 6mm glass beads and it does a nice job but I have more beads and I think I will play with this a little bit and come back later to show my results.

iammyself

How does the vapor density compare with and without water? I use hot water, and it seems to add moisture (visible vapor) that I like. Do the glass beads get condensation build-up on them? Interesting idea to cool the vapor without adding water. Now I want to experiment too.

The Chemist

So I just cleaned my glass and decided to do some changes. BEHOLD! The Canadian Winter 🥶 V2.

20200726_161508.jpg

I just hit the Hopper with some Green Crack and the heat from the vapor was barely noticable. The first hit at the first heat level I never felt a thing, only taste. The airflow is more restricted but it's good enough for me.

@Bigpoppafudge420 it would take a lot of beads and would be very heavy even if it's just half full but could be a lot of fun. I have more than enough glass beads to try this so give me a little bit of time and I 'll do it. As for finding glass beads in Canada I agree with you, not a lot of option. I got mine from Planetvape but they are sold out, was 20$ for 500. The rest of them I got at Elev8 I have blue, green and red. Beautiful but expensive.

@OnO I guess they would do, the size don't really matter, what I have in mine right now is a mix of 6mm and 8mm, as long as it's not too small to restrict the airflow. I don't know about the safety of the material, I'm no expert on glass so I can't really give you any guaranties that these are good.

@iammyself the vapor density is pretty good but you just don't really see it because of all the beads. As for the water adding moisture you are right, this is the negative point of this set-up, the vapor is very dry at the end but you don't feel the heat, that's the trade off. But you got me thinking, like I said I used to put water in this thing but stopped in part because it's not really good, pretty tough for the percolator to do it's job with so little water. What if I put just a little water at the bottom under the percolator so no vapor would be stripped of flavor passing thru the water, then before taking a puff I could swirl the water inside the globe to wet the beads, I wonder if it would add enough humidity to make the vapor less dry and keep the flavor? Damn more testing to do!:science:

I agree whatever you do DON'T DROP IT! You will find glass beads everywhere for the next 10 years!

I would like to post more photos but the forum won't let me, strange, not more than one in the post and I can't even if I do another post...:hmm:

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I would like to post more photos but the forum won't let me, strange, not more than one in the post and I can't even if I do another post...:hmm:
You should be able to post more than one photo if they are small enough? I know that there's a maximum size pictures can be so perhaps you have maxed out, can you resize your images? I know with instagram you can only post 3-4 before they won't load. As for not being able to post? Might have to do with double posting is somewhat frowned upon and there may actually restrictions for double posting photos?

Try and post now and see what happens.

The Chemist

It was the size of the image. I'm all new to the wonderful world of internet forum technology so I learn as I go. Thanks @Bad Dog

So what I wanted to show you is this:

20200726_160505.jpg

I've started by filling the perc with beads and then I filled the rest up, so the beads are everywhere for maximum contact with the vapor.

When I say the beads are everywhere I mean everywhere!

20200726_182240.jpg

I didn't had enough beads to fill the Mega Globe all up but it's close. I tried to go for a christmas theme with the red and green but that wasn't enough so I added the rest of the blue I had left. If I had the blue beads I've put in the the small one I think it would be just enough. So it takes all three of my Elev8 glass beads cups to fill one Mega Globe. For those curious about the weight of this thing it's presently sitting at 1171g, so maybe a little bit too heavy for everybody without biceps the size of grapefruit, but on the table it's fine. I haven't done more testing but tonight should be interesting.

@iammyself i forgot to respond to your question about the condensation. You don't get a lot but you do get some condensation. But it's more subtle the glass will slowly get stickier, you won't see something like you do with hot water. This is not a lossless system, the beads are cold and the vapor is hot so you will have small quantities of reclaim that will start to form like it would with a whip or in a water pipe. Again it's the trade off for cooler vapor, you loose a little bit of the active components, but honestly I never said " damn I'm high but I would be even higher if I didn't loose all those components in the whip, on the glass or in the water. If I'm not where I wanted to be I just vape another bowl. The only thing of importance for me is that my vapor won't kill my throat, if I loose a little bit of buzz or a little bit of taste I don't care it's the price to pay, but sometimes you don't have to sacrifice the taste, you can have both!

Ok I just tried that idea I had about adding a tiny bit of water at the bottom of the globe and it's really different. I've put a little bit of water just under the perc so no vapor would be passing thru it and before my hit I would swirl the Globe around to try to wet the beads as much as possible. This gave me vapor with a level of humidity really high. What's different than usual is the warm of the vapor I don't know if it's the fact that I'm holding the Globe in my hands and it heats up the glass and the water inside but the vapor is so warm. The result is vapor that is smooth and I don't feel it in throat. Now I have to try it vs a regular water pipe and see if it just the Hopper being a fucking dragon a producing enough heat to do that with all water tools.

Before I go this is what it looks like after I'm done vaping with it:

20200726_213905.jpg

And this is the rest of my night :science: Science never stop!

20200726_221915.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
You inspired me to try dry....... sorry I only have 6 terp pearls, not enough 🤔 Upon first experimenting with the Weedeater my first observation is dam that is free flowing and I rushed my draw 😱 Two it wasn't as harsh or strong as I was expecting but I think a lot of that was the rushed draw, could have been denser. Taste was better but not significantly so, maybe because I use so little water as it is. And last I did find it a little dry on the mouth pretty much got instant cotton mouth. For my last bowl of the night I went back to water 💦 but tomorrow I try it dry again with my best tasting Broken Coast muskmelon bud, all systems will be go 😤😵🤤

The Chemist

Yeah if you try it dry I don't think it will change the vapor that much. the key with the beads is that they add mass so it cools the vapor faster but also it adds an element of turbulence in the vapor and I think that's what's give more flavor. Every times I use a vaporizer with a stem equipped with nipple technology the vapor is always tastier than with a strait tube. I've notice that on a couple of vape I have that have those two kind of stems, the Solo2 or the Splinter comes to mind. That's the thing with powerful heaters the vapor is always more dry, that's why the good old water pipe is always close when I hit something like the Vrod. When I tried that experiment I wasn't using my tastiest weed because this little Strawberry Kush I have here will kick my ass if I use it during the day but tonight I will vape a bowl with the Hopper IO in each of these three Globes and I will know for sure what my opinion is on this set-up. If you still want to use the Weedeater dry maybe lower the heat a little bit could help.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Last edited:

The Chemist

Thank you @Summer and @Jill NYC for the feedback about the photos. If you guys can't see the photos tell me and I'll repost them.

Ok now time for my report. I did try all three different configuration of the Globe and I was surprised by the results. I'll go in the order I tried them and give a little review for each one. All the testing was done with an Hopper IO and my tastiest herb I have at the moment, some Strawberry Kush. I start from the lower temp and take two hits at each setting, increasing the temp until I reach the last setting and I vape on it until the vapor is gone.

I started with the Sneaky Pete Globe filled with water, it's the regular set up everybody must have used before in one way or the other. First thing that hit me was the flavor, lots of it. I was sure the water would strip a lot more flavor than that but I was wrong, the taste was very much there and I could taste a lot of terps. As I upped the temp I could feel the heat more and more, at level 3 the vapor was starting to be more noticeable in the throat. At level 5 the vapor was really harsh on the throat, too hot to be enjoyable, you can still vape it if you want to get every last piece of goodies in your herb but it's not gonna be a good time. As for the quality of the vapor it was good at the beginning, the water bring moisture to the vapor and that makes a big difference in the throat especially at the end when the heat ramps up it. Dryness and heat are the worst enemies of your throat, this set up will help with the first but won't be as good for the second. I should also add that the water bring an element of resistance when you inhale, you need to suck the vapor hard enough to force it to go thru the water, so if you have problems with your lungs it might be something to consider. This will change with the amount of water you put in the globe so there's room for you to find what works.

Next up was the Mega Globe. This thing is filled almost completely with 8mm glass beads, no water to be found, this is a dry set up. The first hit was disappointing, the flavor was a lot less intense than with the water. On the flip side the vapor was cooled down significantly, every hit until the end was barely felt in the throat. The only thing I felt was the dryness of the vapor, at the start it's not a problem but as the heat rise the moisture disappears and you are left with something that might be unpleasant if your throat start to get tired after a long day of vaping. So less taste, dryness, but no heat, on paper this look like a failure but wait there's more! For me when I vape the experience is as important as the effects, that's why I have so many vapes and water tools, I like variety and I like when I have a thing that does something that no other thing can do. This is the case with the Mega Globe. First thing is the weight, like I said this sits at 1171g so it's not going anywhere. I've put the Mega Globe on my computer desk it's at the perfect height for me, I can place my lips on the mouthpiece and put a little pressure on it and nothing will move. I don't have to hold it in my hands so I won't push it as it slides on the desk while I try to inhale. Second is the visual of the vapor in the beads. This one needs to be seen and I will post a video of it, but first I need to learn how to do it, so that won't be today sorry. When you inhale you can see the streams of vapor coming thru the beads and since the globe is not full of beads it gives me a nice windows to observe everything from the top of the Globe. Also remember when I was talking about the beads and the turbulence effect it bring? Well you can clearly see it when you clear the globe the last bit of vapor will swirl out of the beads. I hope this will be visible on video because it's really trippy, and the top layer of beads is blue so the contrast with the white vapor is so beautiful. Obviously the air resistance is a lot less than with the water pipe, you have enough beads inside to restrict the airflow but it wont require you to work as hard to get your vapor as with the water piece.

Last but not least is The Canadian Winter 🥶. This set up is a mix of the first two. I use a C-150 ( Sneaky Pete Globe) that is filled completely with glass beads, Then I fill it with just a little bit of water to be under the perc, I try to make sure the vapor won't have to pass thru the water. Then I plug both holes and turn it around so the water can get all the beads wet. At that point I was pretty much done, I never vaped this much herb that fast, I did everything back to back, so my throat was a little sore and I was ready to call it off but decided to push thru and I'm glad I did. The first inhalation was met with tasty vapor. I wasn't expecting that the taste would be so good, don't ask me to compare with the water globe I was not functional at this point but I remember that the taste from both of the globes with water inside was very much to my liking, strong taste from the terps and the taste linger in the mouth after you exhale. The vapor kept the taste for a good part of the session. Of course the airflow is pretty much the same as the Mega Globe, the beads are not the same as I have 6mm and 8mm in the Canadian Winter also the globe is smaller so maybe just a tiny bit more restricted but barely. As for the heat of the vapor you don't feel it, there's a lot less beads but it doesn't seems to change cooling capabilities too much, I was able to vape until the end without to much problem. The big difference is the humidity level in the vapor, I was enjoying my vapor until the last drop. The last couple of puff were not dry at all and felt cool enough to not rip out my throat on the way out. Of course not a lot of taste left but that's to be expected. So lots of taste at the beginnings, no discomfort from the heat or the dryness of the vapor. Even at the end I was feeling the vapor becoming dry, I would just have to swirl the globe to wet the beads again and the vapor would be perfectly moist again. For maximum humidity I think I should swirl the globe a couple of times during the session to make sure the beads don't dry out too much. Bottom line is the last test was the most enjoyable, even after my throat was beat up from the first two bowls, I never even cough once, the vapor was that smooth!

So I think I learned something today. I was sure improvement in the taste was due to the turbulence the beads and the glass nipples were bringing to the vapor but now I'm not so sure. What's missing in my little test is a fourth globe that I could hit completely dry to see how it reacts. @Bad Dog seems to have tried it that way and wasn't impressed by the taste. When I compared stems for my Solo2 I never added a water straw to the mix so maybe it would make a difference. Water seems to be the bigger factor when amplifying the taste. I will play with this a lot more in the following days but right now I'm happy with what I got. I'm curious to see if someone else will try it and tell me if they agree or not, after all what works for me won't work for everybody, I can already see it in the reply that some off you are not fans of glass cleaning. :p

On_Weed

It was the size of the image. I'm all new to the wonderful world of internet forum technology so I learn as I go. Thanks @Bad Dog

So what I wanted to show you is this:

View attachment 1641

I've started by filling the perc with beads and then I filled the rest up, so the beads are everywhere for maximum contact with the vapor.

When I say the beads are everywhere I mean everywhere!

View attachment 1642

I didn't had enough beads to fill the Mega Globe all up but it's close. I tried to go for a christmas theme with the red and green but that wasn't enough so I added the rest of the blue I had left. If I had the blue beads I've put in the the small one I think it would be just enough. So it takes all three of my Elev8 glass beads cups to fill one Mega Globe. For those curious about the weight of this thing it's presently sitting at 1171g, so maybe a little bit too heavy for everybody without biceps the size of grapefruit, but on the table it's fine. I haven't done more testing but tonight should be interesting.

@iammyself i forgot to respond to your question about the condensation. You don't get a lot but you do get some condensation. But it's more subtle the glass will slowly get stickier, you won't see something like you do with hot water. This is not a lossless system, the beads are cold and the vapor is hot so you will have small quantities of reclaim that will start to form like it would with a whip or in a water pipe. Again it's the trade off for cooler vapor, you loose a little bit of the active components, but honestly I never said " damn I'm high but I would be even higher if I didn't loose all those components in the whip, on the glass or in the water. If I'm not where I wanted to be I just vape another bowl. The only thing of importance for me is that my vapor won't kill my throat, if I loose a little bit of buzz or a little bit of taste I don't care it's the price to pay, but sometimes you don't have to sacrifice the taste, you can have both!

Ok I just tried that idea I had about adding a tiny bit of water at the bottom of the globe and it's really different. I've put a little bit of water just under the perc so no vapor would be passing thru it and before my hit I would swirl the Globe around to try to wet the beads as much as possible. This gave me vapor with a level of humidity really high. What's different than usual is the warm of the vapor I don't know if it's the fact that I'm holding the Globe in my hands and it heats up the glass and the water inside but the vapor is so warm. The result is vapor that is smooth and I don't feel it in throat. Now I have to try it vs a regular water pipe and see if it just the Hopper being a fucking dragon a producing enough heat to do that with all water tools.

Before I go this is what it looks like after I'm done vaping with it:

View attachment 1652

And this is the rest of my night :science: Science never stop!

View attachment 1653
<3 this so much. Have been wanting to use my hopper through some new glass for a long ass time, this is the setup I was looking for! Just ordered a mega globe, and the cooling mouthpiece for some science experiments of my own. Bill Nye, where you at? Wanna get high??

The Chemist

The Globe is a pretty good combo with the Hopper, since I got the Hopper I haven't tried any other water piece, this is perfect to hold in your hands and vape on it while sitting on the couch. The Mega Globe is bigger but you can put more water so it should help with the cooling at higher temps. You will have fun while trying to figure out what works for you, playing with the water level and of course you can try the beads but for the Mega Globe it's a lot of beads!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thank you @Summer and @Jill NYC for the feedback about the photos. If you guys can't see the photos tell me and I'll repost them.

Ok now time for my report. I did try all three different configuration of the Globe and I was surprised by the results. I'll go in the order I tried them and give a little review for each one. All the testing was done with an Hopper IO and my tastiest herb I have at the moment, some Strawberry Kush. I start from the lower temp and take two hits at each setting, increasing the temp until I reach the last setting and I vape on it until the vapor is gone.

I started with the Sneaky Pete Globe filled with water, it's the regular set up everybody must have used before in one way or the other. First thing that hit me was the flavor, lots of it. I was sure the water would strip a lot more flavor than that but I was wrong, the taste was very much there and I could taste a lot of terps. As I upped the temp I could feel the heat more and more, at level 3 the vapor was starting to be more noticeable in the throat. At level 5 the vapor was really harsh on the throat, too hot to be enjoyable, you can still vape it if you want to get every last piece of goodies in your herb but it's not gonna be a good time. As for the quality of the vapor it was good at the beginning, the water bring moisture to the vapor and that makes a big difference in the throat especially at the end when the heat ramps up it. Dryness and heat are the worst enemies of your throat, this set up will help with the first but won't be as good for the second. I should also add that the water bring an element of resistance when you inhale, you need to suck the vapor hard enough to force it to go thru the water, so if you have problems with your lungs it might be something to consider. This will change with the amount of water you put in the globe so there's room for you to find what works.

Next up was the Mega Globe. This thing is filled almost completely with 8mm glass beads, no water to be found, this is a dry set up. The first hit was disappointing, the flavor was a lot less intense than with the water. On the flip side the vapor was cooled down significantly, every hit until the end was barely felt in the throat. The only thing I felt was the dryness of the vapor, at the start it's not a problem but as the heat rise the moisture disappears and you are left with something that might be unpleasant if your throat start to get tired after a long day of vaping. So less taste, dryness, but no heat, on paper this look like a failure but wait there's more! For me when I vape the experience is as important as the effects, that's why I have so many vapes and water tools, I like variety and I like when I have a thing that does something that no other thing can do. This is the case with the Mega Globe. First thing is the weight, like I said this sits at 1171g so it's not going anywhere. I've put the Mega Globe on my computer desk it's at the perfect height for me, I can place my lips on the mouthpiece and put a little pressure on it and nothing will move. I don't have to hold it in my hands so I won't push it as it slides on the desk while I try to inhale. Second is the visual of the vapor in the beads. This one needs to be seen and I will post a video of it, but first I need to learn how to do it, so that won't be today sorry. When you inhale you can see the streams of vapor coming thru the beads and since the globe is not full of beads it gives me a nice windows to observe everything from the top of the Globe. Also remember when I was talking about the beads and the turbulence effect it bring? Well you can clearly see it when you clear the globe the last bit of vapor will swirl out of the beads. I hope this will be visible on video because it's really trippy, and the top layer of beads is blue so the contrast with the white vapor is so beautiful. Obviously the air resistance is a lot less than with the water pipe, you have enough beads inside to restrict the airflow but it wont require you to work as hard to get your vapor as with the water piece.

Last but not least is The Canadian Winter 🥶. This set up is a mix of the first two. I use a C-150 ( Sneaky Pete Globe) that is filled completely with glass beads, Then I fill it with just a little bit of water to be under the perc, I try to make sure the vapor won't have to pass thru the water. Then I plug both holes and turn it around so the water can get all the beads wet. At that point I was pretty much done, I never vaped this much herb that fast, I did everything back to back, so my throat was a little sore and I was ready to call it off but decided to push thru and I'm glad I did. The first inhalation was met with tasty vapor. I wasn't expecting that the taste would be so good, don't ask me to compare with the water globe I was not functional at this point but I remember that the taste from both of the globes with water inside was very much to my liking, strong taste from the terps and the taste linger in the mouth after you exhale. The vapor kept the taste for a good part of the session. Of course the airflow is pretty much the same as the Mega Globe, the beads are not the same as I have 6mm and 8mm in the Canadian Winter also the globe is smaller so maybe just a tiny bit more restricted but barely. As for the heat of the vapor you don't feel it, there's a lot less beads but it doesn't seems to change cooling capabilities too much, I was able to vape until the end without to much problem. The big difference is the humidity level in the vapor, I was enjoying my vapor until the last drop. The last couple of puff were not dry at all and felt cool enough to not rip out my throat on the way out. Of course not a lot of taste left but that's to be expected. So lots of taste at the beginnings, no discomfort from the heat or the dryness of the vapor. Even at the end I was feeling the vapor becoming dry, I would just have to swirl the globe to wet the beads again and the vapor would be perfectly moist again. For maximum humidity I think I should swirl the globe a couple of times during the session to make sure the beads don't dry out too much. Bottom line is the last test was the most enjoyable, even after my throat was beat up from the first two bowls, I never even cough once, the vapor was that smooth!

So I think I learned something today. I was sure improvement in the taste was due to the turbulence the beads and the glass nipples were bringing to the vapor but now I'm not so sure. What's missing in my little test is a fourth globe that I could hit completely dry to see how it reacts. @Bad Dog seems to have tried it that way and wasn't impressed by the taste. When I compared stems for my Solo2 I never added a water straw to the mix so maybe it would make a difference. Water seems to be the bigger factor when amplifying the taste. I will play with this a lot more in the following days but right now I'm happy with what I got. I'm curious to see if someone else will try it and tell me if they agree or not, after all what works for me won't work for everybody, I can already see it in the reply that some off you are not fans of glass cleaning. :p

EXCELLENT REVIEW and AMAZING DETAILS !!!

Thanks, for all the research and then taking your time to write it all down and post.

I was never a fan of terp balls in my DDcup 30mm sapphire dish, as I can move the oil with the two hole carb cap and easier to clean, I don’t own a glass banger, they may be more useful there. I’ve seen a lot of posts on adding glass balls to various vape stems etc. Never got around to trying them, and never used any of my water rigs dry.

But, your experiment with filling the SP Globe however seemed worth trying. I have a similar rig, the Herbolizer glass globe, the one that sits on a little block of wood, it’s basically the same size globe, maybe a tad larger.

I couldn’t find the 6mm 500 piece regular glass ball (borosilicate) package in stock anywhere, but found some 6mm QUARTZ balls on Amazon. *thanks @Shit Snacks $10 for 50 balls. So I started with 100 balls, but quickly realized I needed more. Bought 200 more, and I’m about a little over half full in the globe. I may add another 100 to get to a total of 400, and leave it at 2/3 level, as I like to have some room (no balls) at the top as a clear view of the vapor build up. Even now, at 1/2 full, the vapor is COOL!

QUARTZ is known to ABSORB HEAT, where as GLASS-BOROSILICATE is a INSULATOR. So maybe that contributes to some extra cooling. So I’ll end up spending more on the balls then the rig is worth, but I wanted to keep using the same material. A possible downside is the quartz balls can scratch the glass globe over time, but I’m not moving the balls too much, and I can always buy another one if it ever happens and is bad.

I just started using and testing it DRY, with GREAT results. I plan on cleaning with the balls left in the globe, using my sink to 14mm male hose connection, the SP spiked MP, keeps the balls in the globe. Once totally rinsed I’ll try it with the tiny amount of water you used, to see if I find any additional moisture in the vapor.

So THANKS again, it’s definitely a worthy mod for COOLING vapor in a small glass globe!

Top Bottom