bag vs whip question

Status
Not open for further replies.

headdoctor

I think I understand the basic differences but I'm curious whether one is more likely to produce vaping odors? I'm thinking mostly of use in hotel rooms. I realize that it depends on the temps and personal methods, etc, but in general is a balloon more likely to be less smelly? I realize it won't be smell-free, but is one more discreet? Or maybe I should ask: how can I minimize the vapor/odors? Lower temps? Gentler whip draws?
I know some of this has been covered elsewhere but I'm not finding quite what I need. It looks to me like some vapes and some users produce huge clouds, and others an almost invisible wisp. Obviously many users like those big clouds--but in certain situations I'd like to avoid them.

THANKS!

headdoctor,

steiner666

Serial vapist
IME, its not so much about the delivery method (bag/whip/direct) as it is about temp setting and whether or not the herb can be removed and kept away from heat source in between hits.

An example would be the Herbalaire versus the Silver Surfer. The Herbalaire, IME, causes more of a smell in general because once you put the metal crucible (what you load your herb into) inside the unit, its pretty much impossible(or foolish at least) to remove until its done. So in between in hits seems to seep out a bit of an aroma, and, like i said IME, stinks up a room like abv a bit more. The Silver Surfer is designed to easily be removed from the heatercover (especially with standard wand connection, which is the best imo) in between hits, so the herb isnt getting hot unless your actively inhaling it. In this way, the SSV stinks less then the HA in bag mode (or any for that matter)

BUT you got to factor in that the SSV, at highest knob settings, is capable of combustion, which is THE WORST smell possible (youd be surprised how easy it is to unknowingly bump a knob). Even at mediumish settings, if you dont pay attention to what you're doing (if you stop working the bowl, or start inhaling drastically slower) you can partially scorch the surface of a bowl, which will create a bit of a stink as well. However, the HA is impossible to combust witjh or scorch with. Even if you load it up and hit it as slow as you can on the highest temp setting, it will never burn your herb. Yet it extracts, in general IME, better than the SSV despite not ever reaching as high of temps as the SSV does because of other features to its design.

As for the bags and whips themselves, they both quickly develop an "ABV musk" as i like to call it, rather quickly. The material that theyre made of just retains smell more than say glass or nylon or something, and theyre pretty much uncleanable.

If you're going to be traveling a lot and using in hotel rooms, i'd kinda suggest you avoid bags and whips entirely. Toting around stinky hosing and bags isnt that great. Sure you could get like big ziplock freezer bags or something, but still, i'd try to find something direct inhale. The problem with direct inhale tho is that its generally hotter and dryer on the throat/mouth when hitting it, so, for me, a waterpipe is almost a necessity, but this wouldnt be great to travel with either tbh....

I think if i had to pick a vape to travel with, where main usage would be in a hotel, i'd go with a zap or other log vape. Sure, they take 30-60mins to heat up, but they're going to be easy to transport because the log itself is small and durable and doesnt stink or look suspicious, and the stems, which are the only part that will ever smell/look all vapor-gooed up, are small and easy to conceal. I would DEFINITELY get a glass tooty stem tho, they dont cool the hits as well as running through water of course, but they help. Also, the log vapes are set to a specific temp in mid vapor range, and will never combust or scorch, so no stinky high temp vaping.

and i think i'd have to have a MFLB with me for when i'm waiting for the zap to heat up and for when i'm not in a room. :brow:

but really, whatever vape you choose wont stink up a hotel room bad enough that someone out in the hall or another room would smell it. Maybe if you loaded up a volcano or HA and started blowing without a bag attached at all they would, but thats just dumb lol.

just have a look around and see whats getting good reviews and watch some videos of usage of the vapes and take all the factors into consideration that i mentioned and decide for yourself what vape would best suit your needs.

steiner666,

headdoctor

That's great! Thank you for such a helpful response. I've really enjoyed researching over the last few weeks but haven't found the "perfect" vape, perhaps because it doesn't exist. Whatever I buy will have infrequent use: maybe once a week at home (my wife is understanding as long as it's discreet with the kids) and maybe once every month or so in a hotel. My ideal unit would not look too suspicious if seen by either hotel staff or kids, so I really can't go with something that looks like a bong, otherwise I'd get the SSV. I have definitely looked at logs (the Underdogs look beautiful), and maybe they're the best bet, but I do get stuck with the long warm-up time for my uses; I also have to admit that I'm fascinated by experimenting with different temperatures. The Solo looks perfect, but frankly I'm scared off by the recent concerns. I'm really drawn to the viVape and I'm hoping we start to hear some reviews soon; I need something in place within a few weeks. If I'm understanding the viVape correctly, that would allow for and perhaps necessitate a fairly quick removal of the stem from the heating source
I do totally hear you about stinky whips and bags. Also, although I'm not too uptight, tubes and glass look a little suspicious regardless of smell. But I was still thinking I would just travel with clean tubes; they're not that expensive and I assume they wouldn't get too smelly in a couple days. I can toss them if they do.
If you have the time, could you comment a little more on temperature? From what I've read, lower temps produce less vapor. It also sounds like different herbal agents are released at different temperatures, so it's not as simple as 'low is better.' (I know that many folks like the higher temps.) I've only vaped a couple times but it was entirely odorless and seemed to do the job...

headdoctor,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom