Avoiding excessive heat when cooking?

tgvp

Hey there! Since I started processing my ABV and rosin pucks into cannabis coconut oil, I always took care of using only recipes that don't use too much heat in the edibles preparation, never hotter than 100°c, thus avoiding cakes and cookies and doing lemon curd, "chocolate cream" (ganache) or even mixing it directly in some yoghurt. But I don't remember if I read about this somewhere to preserve potency or if it's some kind of self imposed constraint I wrongly put on myself.
So did anyone has info on this or did run the experiment?

P.S. in my cannabis oil preparation I do a decarb, so the cooking is not necessary, but it opens up a wider range of recipes😁

shredder

Hey there! Since I started processing my ABV and rosin pucks into cannabis coconut oil, I always took care of using only recipes that don't use too much heat in the edibles preparation, never hotter than 100°c, thus avoiding cakes and cookies and doing lemon curd, "chocolate cream" (ganache) or even mixing it directly in some yoghurt. But I don't remember if I read about this somewhere to preserve potency or if it's some kind of self imposed constraint I wrongly put on myself.
So did anyone has info on this or did run the experiment?

P.S. in my cannabis oil preparation I do a decarb, so the cooking is not necessary, but it opens up a wider range of recipes😁

If you use cannabis oil in recipes, like brownies, the brownie mix insulates the oil so it doesn't get hot enough under normal temps and time in the oven to destroy the thc.

I've baked ( when I say I baked, I mean my wife, lol) edibles at 350°F without any noticeable degradation.

Having said that abv oil has a terrible taste, IMHO, and is good in capsules that hide the taste. That’s the only way I would use it, but to each their own. Bon appetite!

sickmanfraud

You can safely cook at 180 C. I do it frequently. You are using AVB so it might be "sleepy" already so I think you have nothing to lose and everything (cookies, cakes, and assorted baked goods, and many other recipes over 100C) to gain.

To explain myself, I am under the impression that once the cannabinoids are in oil in a recipe heat would not be an issue.

you could make a small batch of oil without decarbing first and see if the cannabinoids are decarbed in the oil in the recipe (they won't be which is why I suggested a small batch.

AVB and Rosin pucks have both been partially decarbed but not enough to skip the decarb, In my not humble enough opinion.

I do a full decarb on my AVB regardless of what I use it for.

sickmanfraud,

tgvp

Having said that abv oil has a terrible taste, IMHO, and is good in capsules that hide the taste.

Since I soak and rinse for a few days before cooking in oil, the foul taste is quite lessen, but I work my recipes to attenuate it even more or find a better way to accommodate it.
Apart from the classical chocolate flavour to mask, I like to prepare in in a lime curd and it even taste quite good.

Top Bottom