AtmosRaw

OF

I'm very glad you're happy with your AR, not everyone is. I think it's safe to say that most cannabis users aren't against smoking, and those that are probably supported smoking when they were younger. However, consider, the forum name isn't' 'options in Combustion' but rather takes a fairly strong and hard to misinterpret statement of common principle on the topic. It's probably not realistic to expect a whole lot of support here.

I agree, a Volcano isn't all that good for road use. Some might say that's OK as it's not the right place anyway, others look for other options that are still vapes. Real vapes, ones made, marketed and suported as such. Not just named that in an attempt to get money from ignorant folks (know any other products with that sort of 'warranty' and 'refund' policy?). What is your experience, if I may ask, with the more traditional portable vapes? MFLB, Iolite, Solo and the like? For that matter, how about 'vape or smoke' which is honest in it's description and includes modes of operation for each?

I'd like to say 'there's nothing really wrong with Combustion', but frankly I don't think that's true. I think there are serious health risks in play and it's wasteful of expensive herb. I think most folks here share that perspective. In short, I hope you come around to 'our way of thinking' rather than you change folks minds and get them back into sucking poisons into their lungs in the name of fun.

We slice vapes mighty thin around here, looking for small differences in production, ease, cleaning, taste, form factor, efficiency and so on. Ones that can combust if you're sloppy (like VG) get special treatment. Those that tend to combust without warning are generally non starters most guys are happy to avoid.

OF.

OF,

Stone__Man

Thinking about this device, and my initial excitement. the same thing comes to my mind every time. a different bowl design and mouth piece(rubber uck :p ) it could then actually vape herbs as well as it burns them up, they would have had a hit. (think ceramic wok lid turned upside down, with pepper shaker holes, most holes on sides, few on bottom) it could sell many more units at its current asking price. I keep seeing easy change chamber/bowls, one for smoking, one for vaping or perhaps a ceramic 'thimble' insert u just drop in. * just heard Adell in my head "we coulda had it all".

and coming at it from a smoking perspective, I could see myself loving it to, long battery life, quick, easy, discrete, no lighters. I think it'd be awesome for smoking. I keep thinking about hiking/camping for a week and that battery lasting the whole time, no spares no charger. sweet. so I can see phillygirls points. no clue how I got jersey out of philly :rolleyes: :p pardon me

I would love to know the artist/group you were listening to in your vid phillygirl if you don't mind ;)
*as I drink in Allison Karuss's butter smooth voice of an angel. I love all kinds of music. :)

but... there is always a but. I will have a hard time looking past the warranty being whacked out, not knowing what to believe on top of my being deceived, to believe the AR a true convection vape over the phone with rep. OF had some solid points, as usual ;) (yeah, what he said :brow:

Stone__Man out :peace:

Stone__Man,

OF

Stone__Man said:
Thinking about this device, and my initial excitement. the same thing comes to my mind every time. a different bowl design and mouth piece(rubber uck :p ) it could then actually vape herbs as well as it burns them up, they would have had a hit. (think ceramic wok lid turned upside down, with pepper shaker holes, most holes on sides, few on bottom) it could sell many more units at its current asking price.

I agree, it would be nice if it worked that way. We differ, however, because I accept the physics involved enough to realize the huge energy needed to do this for even a small mass (like in MFLB or TV) isn't going to happen for longer times with batteries you're willing to carry. AR Engineers (such as they are.......) aren't that much better than MVLB's or TV's. Vaping takes energy to raise heat. If you combust, that energy comes from burning your herb. All you have to do is 'light the cherry', it'll do the rest. That's why this will run a week on a charge, you only need it a few seconds once in a while on a small bit of the load. Force it to heat the whole load to a lower temperature to vape and you're talking minutes not days no matter what 'magic shapes or materials' you make the bowl or any other part from. Those are the laws of physics. You need an expemtion from them.......

If you really are happy with a easy to light pipe (that itself even pretends to be a vape from some vendors) I still suggest the same unit I did before. I used 'em for a while, they're fine if you're OK with combustion. They easily hold enough fuel for many dozens (or hundreds) of lights, are easy to maintain (once you dump the magic carbon filter.....), fast and easy to use and cost less than twenty bucks. They even come with a really nice storage tube (machined aluminum with o-ring seal on the lid, better for carry than any case for any vape I've seen.

My advice from what I've read is 'save your money'. If you want a vape, this ain't it. If you don't care, this is an expensive, unproven way to get there.

OF

OF,

Stone__Man

duly noted. I'm learning something new everyday , thx ;)

I gotta tell you my research into this vaping world has been a trippy one, to be sure. Goodness the variables, I hadn't even considered. But I shouldn't have been surprised I guess, for instance, if you have interest in a good flashlight for your intended purpose, go look for info, you will see folks with sigs just like folks have here of their lists of flashlite gear. Its simply amazing, once you start to dig down, there are forums for hobby, interest or whatever and details you simply did not consider.

This is a most interesting topic to me, I feel like a kid in a candy store, what device am I gonna look at next.
Efficiency is moving higher up my list of priorities to look for, behind cost, warranty and battery life.

Stone__Man,

OF

Stone__Man said:
duly noted. I'm learning something new everyday , thx ;)

This is a most interesting topic to me, I feel like a kid in a candy store, what device am I gonna look at next.
Efficiency is moving higher up my list of priorities to look for, behind cost, warranty and battery life.

It's your life, handle it as you see best. My advice, however, is to educate that kid. Help him (you) make an informed choice.

Several ways to do this come to mind. Perhaps buy a cheap 'box vape'. You can get workable models for $50 or less on Amazon or EBay. Yes, they're cheap but they will let you vape at variable temperatures and small loads. Combustion accidents are easy enough to clean up after and while they may have some IMO minor health concerns in some cases, such are very minor compared to the junk in smoke so you'll still be way ahead. In a month or two, when it's taught you what it can and saved you a PILE of herb in the process you can pass it on or trash it and still be way ahead dollar wise.

Or get a Vapor Genie, which even though harder to use and lighter powered is a unit that you'll likely want to keep. Again fifty bucks or so, unless you insist on the glass one.......

There are, of course, other options worth considering. My intent isn't an exhaustive list, only an example or two. My point is to consider jumping in with a less than perfect vape (believe me, there is no perfect one yet.....nor would that be likely not to change quickly anyway). You gain benefits in many directions over reading and day dreaming.

Come on in, the water's fine.

OF

OF,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Hi Stone__Man,

I've sent you a couple of emails last week. Just wondering if you ever got them? If not - check the email you have listed on this site.

-Pete

sessnet,

sunsett70

"Or get a Vapor Genie, which even though harder to use and lighter powered is a unit that you'll likely want to keep. Again fifty bucks or so, unless you insist on the glass one......."

since we are on the topic of 'combustion vapes', i have to say the Lotus vaporizer is wonderful close-to-combustion but still vaping experience. it's a solid, well made piece of functional art. if the user's first priority is not stealth and he's looking for some kind of pipe-like experience, i'd highly recommend it.

sunsett70,

Stone__Man

@sessnet

got 3, reply to 2, did u not get them? :uhoh:

I just contact u through your email, if that is ok, this is such a stupid system. I can't say as I've ever been on ANY forum that doesn't have a PM (Personal Message)system in place. bizarre.

mod note: Sorry our software isn't up to your standards. Try to make sure your posts are up to OUR standards.

Stone__Man,

OF

sunsett70 said:
"Or get a Vapor Genie, which even though harder to use and lighter powered is a unit that you'll likely want to keep. Again fifty bucks or so, unless you insist on the glass one......."

since we are on the topic of 'combustion vapes', i have to say the Lotus vaporizer is wonderful close-to-combustion but still vaping experience. it's a solid, well made piece of functional art. if the user's first priority is not stealth and he's looking for some kind of pipe-like experience, i'd highly recommend it.

I find it much easier to keep the VG under control than the Lotus (at least in pipe mode, WP mode where you can see what you're doing is easier to deal with IMO). I think most guys found it so. Have you tried both side by side?

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
vinyl stickers work well for this. I usually cover the sticker with clear package tape to keep it fresh and from peeling up so easily.

** This company on ebay has a good price/selection of all kinds of industrial vinyl in various holographic and metallic colors/patterns. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120410866048?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
scroll through their store to see other options. I use that stuff on my ego batteries.

Td5xU.jpg

iCNWq.jpg

nYMDI.jpg

jambandphan03,
got my RAW vape pen today and I am impressed..... rode my bike down the highway going 65 while vaping... that was a first! mine came with a screen.... it VAPES. EXCELLENT BUY :peace:

swiftrider38,

Stone__Man

Ramble ON

after considering all info I could gather from different resources. I have come to a conclusion. I will not be purchasing any high $ battery powered vape, there is just too high of a price premium for battery power and the various heaters ss/ceramic what ever, for me to swallow. this AR is 70 for heater and 55 for battery 125$ cost. the TV is 40 bucks for batteries and 90 for heater 130$ cost. a lot of money to get the flowers vaporizing and not at all worth it to me, those are two examples of items that interested me, but it seems most any of them using battery power charge top dollar for battery use. I ask myself how many smokers would pay top dollar to light up with a battery powered heater, vice flame ? "hey man why buy a 1.99 lighter or a 20 dollar zippo when you can buy this 80 dollar battery kind of lighter, no yucky fumes?" for anyone else that does not mind, that's cool too.

to each his own.

I'm glad I try not to "rush into things" with excitement of purchasing a 'new toy' . (I damn near did with this one)

going to look into other options, home plug in, flame driven types and DIY. the OF posting really got me to thinking about what it is exactly that I want/need and at what cost. It appears to me the S&B Volcano is at the root of all these high asking prices. No product can sell at high prices if consumers were not willing to pay high dollar, it ALL comes down to what the consumer is willing to pay for value, real or simply implied by price. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean its worth that amount.

and yes I can hear the comments of worth, I get it, things can take on different 'values' to different folks. I , for instance, like to always buy Claussen Pickles :brow: , they cost more but I find them worth the extra coin, due to the value I place on their flavor and crispy crunchy goodness :) . My friend, on the other hand, does not see the value that I do in spending more for the Claussen's he buys the "wallyworld" brand and is happy with that.

What really makes me scratch my head is why vape products carry a higher price tag then comparable smoke products. they feel they can ask more for a vape then smoke, that is why. I see so much talk of this or that is NOT a vape, it is someone else trying to capitalize on the "vaporizer" market. and the thing is it's only gonna get bigger and bigger as more and more states adopt "friendly" attitude towards the sweet leaf. the waters are going to get more muddy all the time, with claims of this or that, with nothing to substantiate claims to their products (no market standards) to get your money. watch and see, it's gonna be a HUGE cottage market, matter of fact it is largely so at this time. much finger pointing and crying will follow. this is mine. they stole that. blah blah blah. watch and see.

It's the same in many different niche markets. look at outdoor pursuit products. you can pay 1000 $'s or 49.99 $ and get a tent that will keep you dry. backpacks, clothing, stoves, water filtration. down to a simple pillow, you can get a 'big ol' comfy bed pillow for 25 bucks, that same 25 bucks gets you about one tenth of the pillow mass, simply because it is marketed to the niche market and consumers in niche markets particularly are willing to pay. u name it.

idea's borrowed, assumed stolen and the like.
some may be familiar with the KELLYKETTLE some may not well this fellow, I much admire this guy,( **no connection , I don't even have his product :p), has finally brought to market his idea of a better backwoods stove. read a bit here on his site theboilerwerks , rather interesting to this ol' boy, from building them himself in his garage and the modifications along the way, to having a factory in Pittsburgh, PA doing the production for him.

another similar example,
Hennessy Hammocks years back made a camping hammock with built in bug screen and came with a tarp. patent this and patent that and since that time MANY a 'cottage' business has sprung up(with their tweaks and ideas of a camping hammock with bug protection is) and a whole boon came about with cottage folks making hammocks, insulation for hammock , tarps , stakes u name it. I assume they took the notion of, if they (HH) can charge 200+ $'s for a hammock I can make them and sell for just under their selling cost and make my own money.. and that is just what they did. One cottage fellow went a different direction entirely to getting in the hammock, the HH uses a hook and latch slit that you stand back up and sit down, the cottage fellow used no such slit, u ran a zipper full length of the bug net, people took right to it, after about a years time HH took notice of customers preferring the cottage guys hammocks over his, HH now offer a zippered bug net version of all their hammocks. So there u have it, the HH with all their patents and complaints about the little guys product being too similar ,wind up incorporating the idea's of the same little guys idea's into their products. The needle in a haystack is the seller who actually does what they do for love, the rest sell to , well sell , make big profits.

u can buy a 30 degree sleeping bag for 50 dollars , or you could spend 400+ <<< no exaggeration for a different 30 degree bag. they both accomplish the same desired result of keeping you warm down to 30. its all a matter of what some are willing to pay. and don't even get me started on the weight savings of cubun fiber gear , that weight savings comes at Quite the premium ... wowzer.

everybody wants a piece of the proverbial pie .

more expensive is not always better is another point here, and FIRST isn't always better either. I've seen so much said amongst the pages here on FC (no names) ALL idea's and vapes are not all original , they all 'borrow' something.

So at the end of it all, outta here and onto other NON battery options to consider. thx all that share freely their opinions and experience. I am learning here at FC a LOT and for that am most grateful, this place is a GREAT resource in my endeavors to learn about the vaping world and make an informed purchase decision as a conscience consumer. Growing ever closer to actually "jumping in" with my spending $'s.

This forum has convinced me to 'convert' to vaping and cross out smoking. My education to facts of savings on your flowers was MOST enlightening, that fact alone had me hooked lol. It rather reminds me of quitting smoking cigs, with the "wow , all the money I could have had for other things." Until a bat pwr'd vape comes along that hits like folks say the TV does and has long life bat of the AR, I will try to refrain, I'm sure its coming on down the line someday, and I will watch for it. My guess is I will end up getting another or a whole stable of them on down the line, but at this point I'm gonna dip my toe in the less risky waters of the non-bat pool. And places like this are a great place to find buyers for device you no longer want.

what I say, think, feel is in no way saying that anyone with battery power device is wrong in anyway, its just not for me at this time.

and please spare me the complaints of my posts being too long, if you did not want to read so much you should not be reading this right now, yep U. I'm the opposite, I suppose, I like to read and try to understand , I would like to see folks go more in depth and share more, but we are in the, me me me, now now now age of instant gratification , google at our finger tips, Twiitttter with its very short post length and texting, sigh . . . because actually having to be bothered to SPEAK to someone, is getting to be too much to ask in these modern days. how 'social' are social networks? stupid name imho. It is our differences that make this world go round, one will often miss a chance to grow, learn or understand, with a short or closed mind that does not consider all. hey that's me. so I'll allow you to do you, allow me to do me.

Ramble OFF

Stone__Man out :peace:

Stone__Man,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
So, I was looking at the threading on the heating chamber for the AR and figured out that it fits and works well on my Omibattery :) Also I removed the ceramic filter, and rubber mouth piece, put a couple of small stainless screens in the top chamber over the spring and capped it with a drip tip for the ego-mega cart (the large size) which eliminated the rubber smell, and I find looks more attractive as well as feels better to my lips.

One warning, my button on the AR battery is already failing, it's a thin rubber strip that has a button that presses into a hole to activate the switch, and it is tearing, causing the button to stick on until I pry it out with my fingernail. I did contact AR and they are sending me a replacement button. So they are on top of the customer service.

I still have not tried the screen inside the heat chamber out of fear of messing it up. I am enjoying using this despite the partial combustion.

MJVS3.jpg

YPVph.jpg

PKpas.jpg

jambandphan03,
i called atmos and asked what the deal was because of all the combustion rumors

they said it was actually made as a product that was able to vape or smoke
normally its made to smoke, but when the screen is in place you can use it as a vape

the AR was released 3 weeks earlier then it was supposed to be because of distributor pressure, which means that the customized screen isn't coming out for another 2 weeks (atmos will also be shipping out free screens once these come out), but gotvape.com is selling non-customized screens along with the AR now

Just ordered it...will keep you guys updated on smoke and then vape with screen

vapestoner,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I tried putting a screen in mine, it didn't seem to do much. I still ended up with combusted material. Maybe the screens AR are making will be different, I used a standard stainless steel pipe screen, that I cut down to fit in the chamber. I left it in there a few days, ended up taking it out because my heating chamber is getting clogged and I am trying to clear out the air ways. I keep my chamber clean as possible, removing ash and debris between loads. I am still waiting on the replacement button to arrive. Ended up wrapping the button with scotch tape, it was about to fall off completely.

jambandphan03,
i bought my atmos raw at Big Al's in berkeley. When i first got it, my first hit completely combusted and left me coughing. i called atmos because i wanted a VAPE not a pipe and the man explained to me that in 2-3 weeks (from feb. 20, 2012) they will have screens available to sell to their customers to prevent combustion. they informed me that GotVape.com sells the atmos raw with the screen in it.. but i didnt want to wait so iBroke (stupid joke) and old pair of iPhone headphones and harvested the screen. i burned the chemicals/dyes off of the screen and sterilized it. i then carefully placed it in the atmos raw heating chamber and used the packing tool to lightly push it into the chamber. i made sure to apply equal pressure to all sides so it would fit evenly. now my screen seperates the heating element from my herbs. IT VAPES now! try it, yo!:brow:

21x20Vision,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
:uhoh: I highly recommend that you discontinue using that thing with a piece of an ipod headphone for a screen......real screens are also sold in Berkely i'm sure

SF Giant,

OF

SF Giant said:
:uhoh: I highly recommend that you discontinue using that thing with a piece of an ipod headphone for a screen......real screens are also sold in Berkely i'm sure

Boy, with ya there SFG. Kind of clever using a handy piece of (unknown) metal like that, but I'm not sure it's at all smart. I too would recommend something else until a proven solution is available and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone else experiment in this direction. Some things can't be "sterilized" AFAIK, like for instance the lead often included in thin metals to make them form better/easier (one of the issues some have with brass)?

OF

OF,
jambandphan03 said:
So, I just took the mouth piece off, took out the ceramic filter but left in the screen, and stuck one of my ego mega atty derlin drip tip mouthpieces in there and it fit. That made it a little better for the rubber smell. I was wondering, wouldn't placing a metal screen onto the coil create a short? I did that with an e cig once, and it popped the coil as soon as I activated it. I don't know if I will bother messing with that.

do you know if putting a screen does create a short?Have u tried it?

hiddenvisons,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I did not have that problem when I tried the screen with the atomos, but it is a possibility, and I was worried about that happening when I stuck it in there. You should contact the customer service and let them know if that happened to yours. Not a good fix if it ruins your battery.

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
:( Well, I am having trouble getting any response from the customer service about the heating chamber clogging up, to the point that I can barely get any air through it. Doesn't seem to matter that I keep cleaning it pretty thoroughly between loads, it is getting clogged. I have emailed them twice, and have mentioned it in other messages regarding the button falling apart (it's a flimsy rubber piece), which they did replace after 2 weeks of emails but never got any reply about the clogged heating chamber. It is as if they are just done with me, I got my new button and that is that. I thought I had a warranty on this thing, if it's not working right. I can't even get advice from them about it. I know i am probably flogging a dead horse here, but I wanted to share my experience, as it might detour others from making the mistake of buying this thing for almost $200. :mad:

jambandphan03,

DubCRider

That sucks, I hope they contact you soon. There is a big difference between companies trying to make a buck and the ones who are here for the patients. It would appear Atmos just wanted your money, not to help.

I have a buddy who's button fell of within 5 days after getting it at the CHAMPS show.

DubCRider,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Well, after purchasing wholesale ecig parts from the manufacturers, I know how little these parts cost when you buy a lot of them. I knew this going into my purchase, but I was really curious, so I spent the $ to see what they had developed. The batteries work, but are the cheapest I have ever tried. I have used just about every kind of ecig battery that has been made for mass production, so I feel confident in my observation. The heating chamber is good, aside from the clogging issue, and the coil design works well as a combusting tool. For most smokers this thing will be the bees knees until the button breaks. Once it breaks all you have is a hole with a trigger inside, so you would have to get creative to fix it yourself. I ended up tearing the rubber strip off of the button and taping the button in place when mine broke. They did at least send me a new button, but now I know how delicate it is, I hardly want to use it. I have my heating chamber soaking in Iso, hoping to get the clog out. I got tired of waiting to hear from the company for advice. So much for this so called warranty. I am really disappointed that they were so eager to help me with my cheap flimsy button, but I'm not getting any reply about the part that cost the most to replace. Is this punishment for being honest about my experience with their product here on the forum... I was one of the few people here who gave them a real chance and all we get from them are new user account testimony from time to time about how good this thing works and how you can add a screen.
OK, rant over, very unsatisfied with AR :mad: I'm gonna go use my solo now...it actually works.

jambandphan03,
Please let me know if the iso works for cleaning it!! I have one that is clogged as well, the shop I bought it from said it was cool to put wax in it!!

JonDoe1980,
Top Bottom