Athlete Vaporists?

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
who likes to do Anaerobic trainings like Push Ups / Sit-Ups after a good session? it's so much fun!
I do! My exercise routine ALWAYS starts off with a good buzz, some thumping music to get the blood racing and a warm up/stretch.

Mon, Wed, Fri I run a 5K and Tuesday / Saturday is strength training. Pushups (Different types), Pull ups (different types), AB lounge, Leg Lifts. I blew out a shoulder with the pull ups so I may have to do different types of barbell curls for a bit. There's also one miscellaneous day where I try to find a honey-do I can attack for cross training. Scrub the pool intensely to work the back, upper arms and core and add some aerobic/speed aspects. Same with working on the lawn, washing the car, etc. My neighbor's must think I'm nuts because of the intensity but its a great way to cross train.

Back when I was younger (much ;-) I lifted weights but as I got older I started using my body instead of weights because it felt like training this way gave my body more overall ability. I wanna be able to climb trees in my 70's / 80's kind of thing.

CANtalk

Had an amazing MTB trail ride a few days back :love: , #1 and #2 trails fast and lots of power and endurance, but Irritated that core body muscle again :rolleyes:. Two days later, it was nice and had to get out, so I took it easy by avoiding the hard core cardio trail this time. Felt so great, I did ~24 miles, no breaks and included the #2 trail in the area. It was awesome, but not as much rest on that core body muscle as I would have liked :shrug:.

Well, it is late summer, aka carpe diem time of year here :lol:. What's your story?

Get out and enjoy, cheers!

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

CANtalk

I unexpectedly got out on the MTB trails this morning since it was nice out and tomorrow's weather not so much :razz:. ~17 miles, no significant stops and avoided the cardio killer trail again to help rest that core body muscle more. It went well :clap:. Still hit the #2 hard core trail in the reverse direction from last time... and as part of a nice loop :brow:,. Faster as well, at under 100 minutes. I even got out early enough to avoid the hot day... ended my trip at ~75 F. Since it's the weekend, I vaped after and combined a nice runner's high with a strong sativa high 🌠, cheers!

HAF :science: :evil:., wearing contacts and can't see the screen 4 shit, so sorry for any spelling / grammar issues again. We just had a big rainstorm come through. Poured, thunder. So happy I got out today and before it :bowdown:.

Who else is getting out for some exercise lately or this weekend? Have a great time!

:peace::leaf:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Just got home from my weekly Saturday half. 13.1 miles / 21.09km in 1:38:00 flat. Had a great course through four different districts, super diverse and interesting. Some light drizzle in the second half of my run, but that felt nice and refreshing after all those heat waves this year.

Now: a big salad, a Pizza and ice cream. And a Dynavap with some Gelato.

Running. ❤️

GoldenBud

Except trainings, is anybody trying to eat more protein foods/veggies to burn more calories through digestion?
I feel so much healthier since I'm eating TEF foods

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
When it comes to losing weight [...]

If anything, I eat in order to maintain weight, certainly not to lose weight. :-) In a typical week, I burn about 5000 calories just by running.

I do support the idea that we should look for quality food and not just calories, of course. But when it comes to the ideal body weight, I go the other way around: not losing weight by running (or any sport), but going for the best type of nutrition *for* running. Which is very individual and different for each one of us I guess.

MedMJ22

If anything, I eat in order to maintain weight, certainly not to lose weight. :-) In a typical week, I burn about 5000 calories just by running.

I do support the idea that we should look for quality food and not just calories, of course. But when it comes to the ideal body weight, I go the other way around: not losing weight by running (or any sport), but going for the best type of nutrition *for* running. Which is very individual and different for each one of us I guess.
Damn, you run a lot. That’s like 50-60 miles a week. I can get past 25-30 before I start developing issues like shin splints or other overuse side effects.

You’re right, you can’t outrun (or out-exercise) a bad diet. Calories in vs. calories out is the only thing that leads to weight loss.

MedMJ22,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
That’s like 50-60 miles a week.

That's pretty much spot on, yeah.

I can get past 25-30 before I start developing issues like shin splints or other overuse side effects.

Although it's pretty rare, I do sometimes have issues due to running (like the knee issues I wrote about recently) and as runners, we should be prepared that those issues most certainly can and at some point will occur. Although it's not completely wrong, I struggle a bit with the term „overuse side effects“, because while the repetitive nature of running (esp. road running) can amplify certain things for sure, the culprit is mostly muscle strength and to some extend balance related. The good thing is that nowadays there's a ton of good resources that teach us how to cope with such issues and whenever I have a serious issue, I'm always surprised how effective some exercises (and patience) are at bringing us back in the game¹. Running can lead to some pretty uneasy things, but it's not so much running itself making these issues, but rather showing us the spots we need to work on.

¹Two examples from YouTube: „Bob & Brad“ + „Doctors of Running”, both absolutely brilliant and helpful.

Another thing is how to increase mileage. I don't do races and run just for my own enjoyment, so I was free to increase the distance and frequency of my runs slowly. Going from ~18 miles a week to ~55 miles a week took me about a year. :-) The rule of thumb says to not increase mileage by more than 10% per week, going above that increases the risk for injury exponentially.

fangorn

wow... I started running again after probably 4 years off... even more (maybe 10 years) if you consider the regularity. I was a great 10k runner 20 years ago... and I still live in that memory.

In the last 4 or 5 years, I quit tobacco thanks to the electronic cigarette, then the tobacco used in joints thanks to vaporizers. the combustion is therefore behind me!!

I remember trying to get back into running a few years ago when I was still a smoker...after 25 minutes of running my heart was going to explode and my lungs were hurting.

There, I take advantage of a move to a new continent to improve my lifestyle... drastically reduce sugar, play sports again, lose the mini belly that has been in place for a few years!

So I ran 7 km twice in 5 days...
I was really really impressed with my breathing abilities!!! I thought that again, it would be my main difficulty, but not at all... it was so easy at the level of the breath!!! it's the leg muscles that have struggled to keep up so far...

so satisfied with this in any case... it's the first time that I have directly noticed the benefits of stopping combustion... a real pleasure...!

well I would have liked to continue typing in the machine and hurt myself more but unfortunately my body is letting me down a bit... the last 2-3 months have been intense... and everything is falling back a bit.
after my two outings I had very intense pain in my heels... it's super frustrating... I would have already come out otherwise...

the aches are gone
and now, with the lack of sleep, I have a lot of pain in the whole lower part of my body... muscles or maybe tendons I imagine... I really did a lot of sport when I was younger... but there, these are new pains... not aches...

in short, I'm going to have to start again more gradually... hoping that my heels support a little better...

but i wanted to share it here...

this thread title "vaporist athlete" really made me want to participate... so here I am 😁

and I hope to resume regularly!!

good vape and good sport to all!!

His_Highness

Whenever I'm looking to change up the running regimen I tap into one of the oldest web sites I know for running. Been using it for decades. The site includes all kinds of training programs based on the where the runner is starting off in terms of capability.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
in short, I'm going to have to start again more gradually...

Exactly!

First of all, congratulations + kudos, @fangorn! :-) I remember well how it felt when I noticed my breathing improving after I switched to e cigarettes and vaporizers – believe me, it will get even better! Smoking kept me down running wise for over a decade; I mean I did run, but struggled often and both distance and pace were strictly limited. Being smoke free is like getting a second life. 7k is a lot for a re-beginner!

So yeah, keep it low and slow. In the beginning pace and distance are pretty irrelevant. I also recommend walking pauses, for example 10 minutes jog, three minutes walk –or whatever you feel like, it's all good. The one thing I recommend being strict about is consistency: plan three days of running per week and just do it, even if it means just jogwalking around the block, but make it a fixed ritual and keep it up.

hoping that my heels support a little better...

The one item every runner does need are a pair of decent running shoes, maybe you got a pair from your heydays or a old pair of basketball shoes (I'm speculating, of course), so definitely look into your local running stores offerings.

Beside that: our muscles, ligaments and bones adapt quite a bit slower to exercises than our cardiovascular system, yet another reason to keep it slow for a while.

fangorn

Thanks for the encouragement good advice @Siebter

Have you managed to reduce your nicotine consumption? And have you seen any changes? (I'm looking for motivating arguments!!! haha)
I imagine that the electronic cigarette also has its repercussions on the respiratory systems...
I'm pushing back a bit, but I'd also like to reduce its use...

Indeed, 7K, that may seem like a lot... but I needed to let off steam... and I start to sweat from 20 minutes... In addition, as breathing was easy... I wanted get too close to the sun... and aim for 8km/h. It was my satisfaction...
Well, until I read your wise words, I didn't consider myself a beginner...
But you are clearly right!

(And if I want to finish the UTMB in less than 20 hours, I'll have to work, hahaha)

The heels seem to be slightly better today, and the other pains are slowly fading away, so I'm going to give them some rest and aim for 5K... initially, with 2 rides per week!
and then I will adapt!

And for the shoes... you got it right!!!
I brought out a cheap decathlon pair that is certainly 5 years old, a period when I thought I could go back to running...
I will invest in a month or two. (hum... when the Canadian winter begins... I will need other equipment than shoes!!)

Thank you for the exchange in any case, it is very much appreciated here

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Have you managed to reduce your nicotine consumption? And have you seen any changes? (I'm looking for motivating arguments!!! haha)
I imagine that the electronic cigarette also has its repercussions on the respiratory systems...
I'm pushing back a bit, but I'd also like to reduce its use...

No, but I never really tried to. I started with 6mg juice and that's where I'm still, usually I consume about 5ml a day, sometimes less, sometimes more, I don't really monitor it. Anything we inhale will have *some* effect on our respiratory system, but I'm pretty sure that e cig vaping is nowhere near any kind of smoke when it comes to harm. More recent research shows that nicotine itself doesn't harm us very much, neither in terms of cancer, cardio issues nor our respiratory system, so I don't see the need to limit that.

The heels seem to be slightly better today, and the other pains are slowly fading away, so I'm going to give them some rest and aim for 5K... initially, with 2 rides per week!
and then I will adapt!

That sounds like a good plan. Good luck and feed back, please!

Siebter,
Reactions: fangorn

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@vapirtoo – That's quite a can of worms you're opening here. :-)

I'd consider 200 miles on the very low end of how long a shoe will last, but either way: it totally depends on a) the shoe (it's midsole foam, outsole, geometry) and b) the runner (his / her weight, height, pronation) and some other things like the surface we typically run on and how many shoes we are able to rotate it with. These parameters result in a very wide variety of durability numbers. Most shoes will have started to degrade after 200 miles (less bounce, firmer ride, less grip etc.), no doubt, but to what extend is different for each runner. I typically start looking for inconsistencies when my shoes hit the 500km / 300 miles mark, but have taken some models up to 1000km and they were okay. But I'm a very light runner and most of my shoes will have to wait for at least a week until I take them out again, so lots of time for them to recover. [Edit: it's definitely better to retire a shoe too soon than too late!]

As for „good brands“ I prefer the adizero line by adidas for sure, but I feel like we are in a golden age of running shoes. Every brand offers some amazing stuff these days, even brands like Puma who nobody cared about for a long time suddenly makes shoes that help Molly Seidel getting bronze in Tokyo. New Balance is killing it this year with their SuperComp line. Asics too, for years there was not a hint of innovation from them, this year they offer one of the best performing super shoe plus a whole bunch of fantastic daily trainers. Sauconys Endorphin line is amazing too. These days it seems less about finding a good brand, they're all good, but rather find the shoe philosophy that suits us best. For me that's low(ish) profiles, ground contact, low weight speed shoes for example, others prefer to float on a cloud of softness. It's all there. :-)

Last edited:

vapirtoo

I love canned worms; eat them fairly regularly. LOL
Sorry folks, the old track coach in me came out that had to deal with
athletes with shin splints from street surfaces and old shoes.
Dirt, heat, poorly laced shoes, taking them off without unlacing
all take a toll.
Most of my poor ass high school and D3 college athletes only had one
pair of good shoes at a time. Some of them ended up with my old ones!
Anyways; good foot support as well as running form can mediate injury
and soreness.
Is that good pain as my muscles expand my tendons or have I overdone it
once again?
We have to find that happy medium.
Yep Brooks was my first choice, but there are many others. Golden age for sure;
the shoes and me. LOL

His_Highness

+ 1 for Brook's Adrenaline (Need the stability)

I usually wait till the new year's shoe comes out and buy the previous year's shoe for $90 instead of $130.

Everybody differs but I do wish they'd stop fucking with the BioMoGo DNA and DNA Loft (Stability and cuhsioning) to justify the purchase of a new year's version. The 19's almost caused a shoe divorce because IMO they were too boxy and reminded me of the Nike Pegasus which I detested even though the price was right.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Oh boy, shoe talk! :-)

My girlfriend loves the Brooks Adrenaline as well, not sure which iteration she has, though. I do pronate a bit (pretty much everybody does), but not to the point where I'd need a dedicated stability shoe. However, even that section of shoes sees some nice innovation lately, the Saucony Tempus for example is a stability shoe that uses „PowerRun PB“, a Peba based high performance midsole foam. Stability shoes are hardly reviewed on YouTube, but for those trying to find more info on them, I can recommend the „Doctors of Running“ channel (or their website which also features written reviews), they focus much more on the question of stability than others.

Yeah, shoe companies love to fuck up our favorite shoes. I was an absolute fan of the adidas Boston series, I'm still running in my third pair of the Boston 9. It was a nimble, minimalist, flexible and lightweight speed shoe, but with the Boston 10 it became *big*, clunky and heavy, a totally different shoe. But it seems like shoe companies have to do that in order to stay in the game, especially lately with all the new tech like plates and superfoams. If you keep a model the same over and over again, people will look elsewhere.

el sargantano

Brooks Divide here. Around 800km nowadays, it's time for them to rest already.
By the way, I call them 'Romulus & Remus' destined to be the starters of my running empire.
Do your gear get a name?
Rock guitar players used to name their instruments, and ancient knights their swords and so on.
In the med sea it's almost mandatory your boat has a lady name.
All my race skate decks have greek queens / godess names or strong warrior female characters from vikings to kurd militia & japanese history.
What do you tell about naming?

DrJynx86

I have been doing Calisthenics around 7 years ago when I couldn't do even a single pushup and had to start with inclines. I got stronger but never did some good tracking or attempted progressions so for a lot of time I just plateau there with my push/pull/squats.

Since the pandemic I have been pushing myself to do better/harder exercises and finally I see that I was plateauing and why I couldn't do more reps, I won't do weights because I just grease the groove every half hour when working at my home office, so I only use what I have, the floor, a wood beam for pull ups and the walls/chairs/etc.

I'm tracking the reps and everything now, will add a column for the days on T-Break just to see if they have any impact on max reps, I also count the no-fap/no-sex days and those definitely help my case.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I also count the no-fap/no-sex days and those definitely help my case.

Okay, if it makes you feel good – however, there's no sign that sex or masturbation does any harm to us. And honestly, I see that movement as a weird relic from times long ago. It's 2022, we do know better. :-)

DrJynx86

Absolutely! I'm just going with the study that says T doubles at the 7th day after masturbating so just moderating myself :D

I call it no-fap because that's the most common name, just like saying I'm a teetotaler because I don't drink alcohol.

I have a very addictive personality, I have even started to keep track of my nail-biting a couple of months ago and seems I'm going to have perfect nails for the first time in 30 years or so!

Just trying to be the best possible version of me :D

DrJynx86,
Reactions: Siebter
Top Bottom