• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Athlete Vaporists?

Nina

Anyone care to comment?
a few months ago I switched from vaping to edibles, I noticed straight away that my breathing was much easier on the hard parts of my running route; instead of
'I wonder if this is what it feels like to die of suffocation'
it was
'I seem to be only mildly out of breath despite running up a steep hill'
prior to that I told myself that if I could still go running the vaping mustn't be compromising my lung function

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I get super high right before my nightly runs and I tend to draw vapor as far down into my lungs as I can while holding my breath as long as its comfortable. I do feel a slight irritation deep in my lungs toward the bottom quarter of my lungs for the first half of the run that I ascribe to vaping. I have the ability to stay under water for more than 2 minutes which drives my grandson crazy because his parts are new and he can't sit at the bottom of the pool that long. I believe my ability to hold my breath and swim like that is due to training myself to hold my breath since I took up cannabis at 16, vaping instead of smoking and of course the running. Current resting heart rate is between 43 and 45 most days.

With the above in mind.....I used vaping to give up cigarettes (Over a pack a day) and joints/bongs over 20 years ago. Even during my smokey years I still did strength and aerobic exercise and running. What I didn't realize was that my being that out of breath and the pain in my lungs as well as my "exercise induced asthma" would all go away in 4 to 6 months of just vaping and no nicotine.

I do mostly flower using my Tafee Bowle or.... the EVO and Solo through a bubbler with a hit or two as a nightcaps off a high end cart sometimes. I don't know what the difference would be if I did another form of vaping like dabs....

I believe that vaping is a hindrance, as would anything that coats the lungs probably would be .... but running without getting high is a death march for me. There's something about the kind of focus getting high provides along with melding the runner's high and the music that makes it wonderful.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@His_Highness – Yeah, and let's not forget that while some of us are avid athletes, none of us is a professional elite athlete (I suppose) – on that level things might be a bit different when it comes to keeping the lungs at optimal fitness, and then a vaping habit might (might!) have to be reconsidered. However, I don't think vaping hinders our performance by coating our lungs or anything; the type of resins & oils we inhale are either absorbed by the lung tissue or exhaled, they do not just sit on top of the tissue. Just saying. :-)

What can be hindering are actual irritations, namely coughing – I'm referring to vaping right before an exercise. In my case I try to make sure that I'm staying on a microdose level and keep the temps on the lower end. Oh, and the wrong strain can be *very* hindering. I always make sure to vape a sativa or at least hybrid strain. One time I switched some jars or stuff and accidentally vaped a straight up indica without knowing, uh... that was super exhausting.

CANtalk

Did that MTB ride this morning. ~18 miles and the two most difficult cardio/technical trails in the area (the same faves). IT was still very moist, tacky and a bit muddy in spots. 99% humidity and cloying, even in ~71 F temps, to the point that I felt I wasn't getting as much oxygen as I normally would. The #1 cardio killer trail punished in these conditions, with 4 rest breaks (instead of two as per my last 3-4 recent rides). Still felt good and emerged onto more open trails with more direct sunshine, so I went immediately to the #2 cardio trail (#1 technical as well) and rode it in reverse compared to what I usually do. Felt strong enough to ride up that midpoint climb again, 3 or 4th time ever. I'm in good enough shape now that it's a really fun manageable trail. I then rested on a bench enjoying the park view and had an energy bar with water. Then I looped home on other milder but still nice trails, with fun spots. A little over two hours total out and back. Got home, had a cold cold shower, some food and am settling in.

I just low temp vaped some Lamb's Bread (a famous Jamaican sativa (95%) and wow I'm haf :science::science:. Got a bit woozy even. The MTB / runners high plus this sativa is an incredible combination, cheers :clap: :tup:.

The vaping and filtering the vapor talk is interesting, will chime in when I can think more clearly :lol: .

Sorry again for any spelling or grammar issues. I read my last post here and lol :razz: it was a little rough. Today part of the problem is that I'm still wearing prescription contacts from my MTB ride and my close-up focus is poor for the monitor, typical ageing squint mode.

Have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Nina

I believe my ability to hold my breath and swim like that is due to training myself to hold my breath since I took up cannabis at 16, vaping instead of smoking and of course the running. Current resting heart rate is between 43 and 45 most days.
I believe you are part amphibian!
Seriously though, I know nothing of such feats but 2 minutes sounds far out to me, maybe there's an extra ability that some are able to exploit if they happen upon the pathway toward it? I feel the naturally low resting heart rate thing could be related? Mine is naturally low, along with my blood pressure but my ability to stay underwater is average at best.
Maybe it's the beginnings of what future generations will develop into a suspended animation/hibernation function?
typical ageing squint mode.
aint that the truth🤦‍♀️ such a hindrance, all this eyesight stuff!!
I pray that technology will bring us better solutions for our human failings🙏
Congrats on the ride biking brotha, I hope to hit my local trails (I use the term loosely, I'm sure it's not in your league) soon, I'm nervous of dogs tho and there are more up there lately, I go out of my way to be ultra polite but recently had an aggressive response from a dog owner. Not so brave now I'm an old lady👀

Last edited:

CANtalk

Sorry to hear about the continued dog problems @Nina. I've dodged a few dogs in the last ~1.5 months myself already. I hope you can get out and enjoy ur trails!

As for vaping and exercise, it works well enough here for me, though I don't vape very often at all before doing exercise (after :evil:). I only vape a few days a week as well... and microdose. It all adds up to small amounts and regular cannabis breaks. No filtering either. Filtering will remove active ingredients from the vapor as well as the stuff people want out, so in many ways one may as well just vape small amounts of cannabis instead. If I were to consider filtering vapor, I'd look to removing particulates (cotton is an inexpensive example)... but again, doing that will also remove active ingredients as well as precipitate more vapor out of the gas phase, to be trapped by any filter. Hence my focus on low amounts in use to this point. I can see why some people prefer edibles over vaping when exercise is part of the equation. Like @His_Highness, I take big long draws when I vape... and my resting HR (when not high) is 45 bpm again, like last year. That's the exercise talking though ;). @Siebter sums up FC discussion on health effects of vaping nicely. The microdosing thread too has good vaping discussion for athlete vaporists, https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/micro-dosing.19915/. And it's easy to forget that everyone is different... what may affect one person may not affect another, or in a different way, etc. Hence, what works for one person may not work for another, find what works for you.

It's been an interesting and rewarding jump back into fitness / exercise with the spring/summer season here. As previously mentioned, I took the winter off and lost cardio fitness as well as gained weight, but it was my first winter of not exercising in the last 3 years (and 3 years of strong spring thru fall exercise). That base seems to have helped me recover my fitness pretty quickly in the last 1.5 months (and lose fat/weight). Yay. Very rewarding.

Cheers to all those vaping and exercising!
https://www.reddit.com/r/HumansAreMetal/comments/van9n8
Have a great Sunday.

:peace::leaf:

Last edited:

green68beetle

Polarbearboy,

From your comment above, it seems that vaping without the filters damages your lungs. Do you think it's true that in general, vaping is bad for human lungs? This is a big concern for me, as I value exercising, skiing and climbing mountains -- which require full lung capacity and healthy lungs.

I've never vaped but was considering it, with dry flower and hash only. Now, your comment makes me think there may be no safe way to vape, except with something like the multiple filters you are using.

The CDC and NCBI recommend that people DO NOT vape. But most of the cases they've studied involve people who used products containing Vitamin E acetate, which is added to some cartridges. However, they do not come out and say explicitly that all kinds of vaping could damages your lungs.

Anyone care to comment?
I've also been a bit disturbed by some of the press around vaping, although all of it here at least relates to nicotine products containing vitamin E or whatever is in them. There was a guy who died after vaping a nicotine product but it was 10 years plus he was smoking for 40 years before that. Also you are inhaling a lot more vaping nicotine. I'm lucky if i have 5 vapes an evening. I think this guy was inhaling hundreds of times per day. The press are all over this stuff so I suspect they are reporting and amplifying the worst of it.

I have recently gone legal and have cannabis prescribed through our medical system. They actually recommend that you vape citing the volcano and Mighty as approved medical devices. I can buy legal buds to vape along with edibles. As much as I like edibles, I much prefer the immediacy and high I get from the vape.

After giving up combustion some 12 years ago, I noticed a huge difference in my breathing for the better, however after reading NIna's response I might give edibles a try for a bit.

I think vaping is safer than smoking by a long way. Is it perfectly safe though? Not sure now.

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I vaped some nice sativa before an 11 km run yesterday and the only thing that hindered my breathing was the humidity of the day - the air felt heavy and soup-y. I was a sweaty mess by the time I was finished. Saturday I had been driving and/or sitting all day, so it felt good to get my legs working again!

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Is it perfectly safe though? Not sure now.

There's a lot of bad press about both e cigs and vaporizers and your comment shows how confusing those reports are. Vitamin e acetate was actually used for diluting concentrates in (black market) cartridges, not in e cigs. And that was indeed very dangerous, that stuff will coat your lungs rapidly – but it had nothing to do with e cigs or dry herb vaping.

Also you are inhaling a lot more vaping nicotine.

Nicotine is not dangerous per se, smoke is. Many of us have also switched to e cigs and feel fine fine with it. There's a lot of peer reviewed research that shows that the harm of e cigs compared to regular cigarettes is at a minimum.

Last edited:

Nina

Sorry to hear about the continued dog problems @Nina
Thank you! I feel the underlying problem is lack of provision for both types of recreation, the needs of dog walkers being incompatible with the needs of cyclists etc

after reading NIna's response I might give edibles a try for a bit.
I just remembered something else...when I was vaping every night a certain 'morning routine' developed, my chest would feel congested and I would feel compelled to have, or rather to induce, a coughing session during which I would feel the need to pat my ribs, thump my chest etcetera; a bit like a physiotherapist would if they were trying to help you clear your chest after a chest infection. There was a small amount of expectoration (sorry for TMI) not much, however that's a distant memory now, I don't feel any need to clear my chest when I get up in the morning or at any other time of the day.
I have heard that edible cannabis can cause issues with liver enzymes, I haven't noticed anything but then I don't know if I would anyway 👀
Currently I vape about one night in 10 because after a while the edible dose seems to build up and I have a day where I feel a bit too out of it, as I am being more careful about my dosage this seems to be by getting a bit less frequent.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Polarbearboy,

From your comment above, it seems that vaping without the filters damages your lungs. Do you think it's true that in general, vaping is bad for human lungs? This is a big concern for me, as I value exercising, skiing and climbing mountains -- which require full lung capacity and healthy lungs.

I've never vaped but was considering it, with dry flower and hash only. Now, your comment makes me think there may be no safe way to vape, except with something like the multiple filters you are using.

The CDC and NCBI recommend that people DO NOT vape. But most of the cases they've studied involve people who used products containing Vitamin E acetate, which is added to some cartridges. However, they do not come out and say explicitly that all kinds of vaping could damages your lungs.

Anyone care to comment?
I smoked cigarettes for more than 50 years, pack or so a day, rarely much more and rarely much less. I smoked pot for nearly as long, often every evening, though I've never been a wake and bake to bedtimer. Never smoked before or during work ever. During all that time I was an avid biker, sometime jogger, mountain hiker, xc skiier, snow shoer, etc. I'm in my fricken mid-seventies and foot problems apparently related to a serious childhood injury have put the kibosh on a lot of my activities. So I love being on my ebike for hours at a time with minimal e-boost, working hard going up hills and into the constant winds here at the northern tip of Newfoundland. I enjoy maxing out my heart rate, working up a sweat and being tired by the end.

I quit smoking cigs nine years ago and pot eight years ago because it felt like that abuse was finally catching up with me. When I would wake up wheezing and coughing, and when I pictured the old folks standing outside in front of the elder care facility smoking cigs and coughing, I didn't want that to be me. A year after I quit smoking anything, my doctor did a whole bunch of tests and said that they couldn't see anything wrong, probably because I've always been an avid exerciser and eat a lot of fruit and veggies, in addition to the occasional burger, etc.. He did say that there was probably scar tissue. When I had my annual physical just a month ago, he did the most extensive lung exam in seven years. He said he couldn't see anything and that if I had problems, I couldn't be rather aggressively working out. I vape virtually every day/evening.

Putting anything into our little avioli, especially a resinous substance, probably isn't ideal. But then lots of things we do and eat and drink( I :love: strong IPAs!) and inhale are not ideal for our health. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that vaping is almost infinitely better than smoking and that if vaping hadn't come up, I would have had to drop my favorite bad habit. Vaping and vigorous exercising together remain one of my greatest joys.

PS: Even though I'm quad vaxxed, I'm currently quite sick with Covid. Glad I had some edibles in ye auld pot box.

Last edited:

DrJynx86

There's a lot of bad press about both e cigs and vaporizers and your comment shows how confusing those reports are. Vitamin e acetate was actually used for diluting concentrates in (black market) cartridges, not in e cigs. And that was indeed very dangerous, that stuff will coat your lungs rapidly – but it had nothing to do with e cigs or dry herb vaping.

Nicotine is not dangerous per se, smoke is. Many of us have also switched to e cigs and feel fine fine with it. There's a lot of peer reviewed research that shows that the harm of e cigs compared to regular cigarettes is at a minimum.

Nicotine is dangerous, if it can poison you, it's a poison, same with alcohol, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I agree PBB! I still enjoy vaping and will be keeping it in my arsenal, for me it's case of finding the right ratio of vaping to edibles. I hope you can throw off that covid soon!
I think that's exactly right. We need to find the right balance of techniques that work for us.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Nicotine is dangerous, if it can poison you, it's a poison, same with alcohol, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

No. Lots of things are dangerous in high amounts while being fine in low amounts. You can kill someone with the right amount of salt for example. The considered lethal amount of 0.5g has been raised by a multitude pretty recently by the way¹, because it became clear that the much lower amounts considered until then weren't realistic at all. Yes, nicotine is an alkaloid and as such has to be handled carefully, but it's far less harmful than for example alcohol.

¹ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880486/

Anyway, bit of an OT rabbit hole. :-)

Last edited:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
in truth I would vape more often were it not for the neighbours and my desire to keep them sweet for an easy life
Ha ha ha. After many years, I'm automatically discreet even though its legal and sold to adults here in Canada and in the states next to me(Maine and Mass) at my other place in NH. Now my problem is its too tasty and too strong.

PeteyS

Hey, great post here.
I want to share my experience. Im a active person, usually working out 5 days a week. Mostly long distance running.
3 days of running, 2 days of weights, and the other days usually some form of cross training, either biking, or hiking.
This year I ran in two marathons, so that included a lot of training the months before.

I found that vaping every day hindered my progress and stunted my training. Not by alot, but I was very aware that my cardio system was suffering from inhaling flower daily. It felt as if I had a coating over my lungs, which hampered my breathing at high intensity.

So I decided to stop vaping every day, and enjoy just on the weekends. During the week, i stick to cannabis oils instead.

What i noticed, was very good gains. My lungs felt stronger, and i was able to focus on building up my endurance.

I gotta say though, cannabis has been hugely beneficial for post work out recoveries for me. There is nothing better then to have a really hard Friday workout, and then come home to Rest and relaxation with the aid of a strong indica.

Have a good one.

Pete.

vapirtoo

Marathons !
Wow; you know what happened to the first guy who did this.
LOL
Great discipline in training to run 26+ miles all in one go.

I would guess that at an extreme level of breathing, vaping
just will not cut it for some individuals; especially endurance
athletes.
For me it motivates me to get out there and enjoy while
keeping the burn away.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I ran my first marathon in 2004. The goal was .. fuck how long it takes, no walking, no stopping. It started around 7AM and I asked my wife if she would drive me there and pick me up at the finish area. I didn't want to drive because I planned on getting as high as possible before the race which is also how I trained for the race. My kids decided to go as well to have breakfast with the wife and then head to the finish line and wait for me to finish. Hadn't found vaping in 2004 so I reeked in a big way and stunk up the car.

About halfway to the starting line my oldest sarcastically said "If you didn't smoke so much you'd probably have a better run". I said "If I didn't smoke so much training for this race I probably wouldn't be running it and sitting here stinking up the car right now". And that's as accurate a statement as I've ever made regarding cannabis and running.

I love running when I'm high and hate it when I'm not.

1973PortlandToker

So I decided to stop vaping every day, and enjoy just on the weekends. During the week, i stick to cannabis oils instead.

What i noticed, was very good gains. My lungs felt stronger, and i was able to focus on building up my endurance.
That's what I was thinking of doing. Maybe twice a week. I've always been a light cannabis user anyway, and don't need more than one toke. Two tokes usually send me out past Mars.

I've never vaped before, and was considering it because edibles do almost nothing for me. I'm still considering a vape, but only for very moderate doses.

Can anyone recommend a good convection microdose vape? Preferably with a chamber made of porcelain or glass. And high temp settings available for hash (real hash, not modern mutations).

1973PortlandToker,
Reactions: CANtalk

CANtalk

It's great to read all the talk as well as see a few new people show up. Cheers!

Another week gone by here and I hope everyone is out and enjoying some exercise :tup:. It turns out my MTB exercise has yet again been too much and I had to take a much needed break. I took 5 days in a row off and got some much needed rest and calories. I seem to enjoy MTB riding so much (and riding season is only 6 month here) that for some years now I've literally overdone it... again and again. Ah well, a little too much carpe diem.

After this break, I went out again yesterday during some beautiful early morning weather. The #1 cardio killer trail was too wet, so I took the first climb out and continued onto other trails and a nice 18 mile trip. I included the hardcore technical trail later, which is also the #2 cardio trail. And I took it in the opposite direction of the previous time. Overall the MTB trip and ride was awesome, 1 hr 45 min and <3 minutes of break time (to take a few pictures). I felt pretty good in the legs and with the cardio. After finishing and getting some food, I vaped some Strawberry Cough sativa and got really high :science:, figured it was best to wait until today to post here, lol.

@1973PortlandToker, I too only vape on weekends, and I like small amounts. As for vapes that do what you want well, I'll mention the VapeXhale Cloud EVO... I specifically picked it for not being a burn / fire hazard like vapes with exposed coils, as well as having what you're looking for (convection, glass air path, excellent microdoser or macrodoser, powerful, and works well with flower/ hash / small amounts of concentrates). The new owner shut down VapeXhale this spring unfortunately but the owner community is still in for the long haul... so maybe a used EVO may interest you.

Have a great weekend everyone.

CANtalk

Another week has gone by and it's still been pretty rainy here. I was only able to get out twice on the MTB, while dodging rain and wet conditions... once a few days back and then this morning (Saturday). On that first day I hit the #1 cardio killer trail and it lived up to its name big time :bowdown:. Humidity was very high still (though not as crazy as last time I described it) and it was almost too wet. I found myself breathing too hard too quickly again and before long I was battling uncomfortably high heart rates... with breathing that struggled to keep up. And that was while taking 6-8 breaks on the trail (when I've typically only needed two or so). And it was still too much exertion, I got significantly light headed for the first time I can remember. As such, I took it easy after that trail and kept the ride short, doing ~11 miles.

A few days later, I went on the second ride this morning. I felt like I had more energy and took the same cardio killer trail. It went well at first but it turns out even more recent rain made the trail even wetter and more slick (clay soils). I ended up doing ~2/3rds of the trail but it was muddy to the point that the trail was slippery and the tire treads clogged up with mud (making things worse / dangerous). It's not much fun when the front end starts to slide around when doing even mild careful steering inputs :razz:. I ended up walking a bit of the trail before taking a climb out and the rear tire was so muddy that it was locking up with mud against the frame. It was much better on the other trails out of the tree canopy. And so for the first time this year, I took the easier trails parallel to the ones I normally take. I had good energy, so I went for ~18 miles and didn't really stop for anything other than a few pictures. And on the return part of the loop I was able to enjoy some single track trails that weren't as wet or slick. Overall, I really enjoyed the MTB ride and exercise today. Every time out is different... and today was quite the adventure, memorable and fun. That's a success for me :clap:. I was also happy to feel like I had good power, energy and endurance... better after this recent rest.

I can say from these two recent MTB rides that high humidity really affects my oxygen uptake while exercising hard... and I need to adjust my effort to it. It's a 60% chance of rain tonight, lol, and a little rain shower snuck through here while I was on the computer. The weather forecast is looking good for the rest of the next week, so I should get out on a few MTB rides again soon and in good conditions :brow: After this morning's MTB ride, I have a good runners high already, and some Trainwreck in the vape. Am looking forward to this OG strong sativa for the afternoon, what a combo :luv:. The quads are tired. I still gotta mow an out of control home lawn (more exercise) and then I plan to enjoy the rest of the day as well as Sunday.

How are things going for everyone? I hope ur all getting out and enjoying some exercise. I'm still wearing my contacts so sorry for any spelling / grammar issues again. Cheers and have a great weekend.

Last edited:

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
since you asked ... my basement gym and my Nordic Track Skier continues to be my anchor. i have been hitting higher speed - i.e. faster leg turnover - so developing the full body sweat i crave. i love the hanging on the bar - i swear i can feel a testosterone surge every time i do it - and i'm only talking about 45 seconds at a time, on my way to 100 second goal. trying to do 10 hangs per day. feeling it in my shoulders.

exercise + real food = health

Top Bottom