Athlete Vaporists?

Nina

I have excellent gear
I find that searching for the optimal accessory, gadget, clothing etc becomes almost as compelling as the athletic activity, such an enticing rabbit warren to contemplate.
I have amassed a fair amount of stuff, not sure much of it qualifies as excellent though, shoes in particular have been difficult & expensive to get right🤦‍♀️ they wear down pretty damn quick when you increase the mileage

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
good call! with me it's hands and feet, mostly feet, I tried neoprene socks, still not enough!
Look for running socks with merino wool, it's total game changer.

they wear down pretty damn quick when you increase the mileage
Do you mean the outsole or the midsole? If the latter: yeah, only a few (modernish) foams are known to last and many are notorious for dying quickly, but it helps to look in the right categories and maybe avoid some extra notorious foams / brands. A daily trainer „should“ last at least 500 miles / 800 kilometers, a racer often might not even last half of that. And we should be careful with how long we run a shoe too; even if they seem to last long, the longer we run in them, the higher the risk for injuries will be. When in doubt, I rather retire a shoe too early than too late (although I'm hoping for a good recycling system for running shoes to be established soon...). Oh and outsoles: same kinda deal, but there are some that are extra resilient, for example adidas' Continental rubber outsoles or Pumas' Pumagrip. Highly recommended.

My shoe of the year is the New Balance Rebel V2, I'm sure I'll score a second pair of them soon. They are so smooth and soft to run in, yet also bouncy and *fast*. I also love how lightweight they are, plus the upper is an absolute dream (in the summer, it's super light & airy).

RebelMyLove.jpg
Finding a good pair of running shoes might need a lot of research, trial and error, but in my opinion there are *many* good options these days.

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
There are plenty of running shoe stores where you can get expert assistance. They'll look at your current shoes for how they are wearing, record you running so they can see your feet landing (pronation, etc.), note your running style (stride and turnover) and foot type (flat feet, etc.). They'll let you take a quick run in them too. These stores will cost you a tiny bit more but it's worth it once you find that magic fit. Once I find my shoe I'd buy the next pair elsewhere.

What aggravates me is when I find that perfect shoe and each year they change them up just enough to claim the newer version is worthwhile due to the change. My absolute favorite shoe was Brook's Adrenaline - great support shoe and plenty of bounce and cushioning. I started with version 11 and by the time we got to version 18 they had made enough improvements/changes to where they no longer worked for me. Learned a good lesson....wherever I find "the shoe" now I wait till they go on sale and buy a couple pairs before the new year's changes go into effect. Got me some flat feet and I pronate some so I need that support shoe which usually means slightly heavier shoe.

Anyone out there want to recommend a support shoe? I looked at those New Balance Rebel V2 @Siebter but I don't think they're support shoes. Those Rebels look speedy too.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Yeah, if you look for stability, the Rebels are probably not the right shoes – I'm a bit torn when it comes to dedicated stability shoes, because unless someone heavily overpronates they correct something that basically should be corrected by us and our running form (if at all, everyone pronates at least a bit). However, lately some brands have come up with some innovative solutions that use less aggressive ways of correcting / helping the foot (for example the New Balance FuelCell Prism V2) that try to help when you need it and otherwise leave you alone. I have no experience with stability shoes but I think that's a good idea.

My girlfriend loves the current iteration of the Brooks Adrenaline btw. :-) But I totally agree, for me it was adidas' Boston line, of which I bought two pairs of the 9 – it's such a great shoe for me, just perfect; low profile, lightweight, nimble, snappy. And then the Boston 10 was released and it became a *totally different* shoe which I didn't even wanted to test. :-) But again: lots of great shoes out there these days, I have quite a wanna-have list...

JOHN GALT

Study explores how marijuana affects workouts​

“Cannabis is often associated with a decrease in motivation— that stereotype of couch-lock and laziness,” said Gibson. “But at the same time, we are seeing an increasing number of anecdotal reports of people using it in combination with everything from golfing and yoga to snowboarding and running.”

Even more intriguing, some studies suggest that it is not endorphins that are responsible for the famous “runner’s high” but rather endogenous cannabinoids, naturally produced cannabinoid-like brain chemicals that kick in after a period of exercise, binding to receptors in the brain to make us euphoric and alert. By ingesting CBD or THC, which bind to those same receptors, athletes might, as Mashhoodi describes, enhance or get a head start on that good feeling.

“It is possible that exogenous cannabinoids like THC or CBD might activate the endocannabinoid system in a way that mimics the runner’s high,” said Gibson.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

“Cannabis is often associated with a decrease in motivation— that stereotype of couch-lock and laziness,” said Gibson. “But at the same time, we are seeing an increasing number of anecdotal reports of people using it in combination with everything from golfing and yoga to snowboarding and running.”

Even more intriguing, some studies suggest that it is not endorphins that are responsible for the famous “runner’s high” but rather endogenous cannabinoids, naturally produced cannabinoid-like brain chemicals that kick in after a period of exercise, binding to receptors in the brain to make us euphoric and alert. By ingesting CBD or THC, which bind to those same receptors, athletes might, as Mashhoodi describes, enhance or get a head start on that good feeling.

“It is possible that exogenous cannabinoids like THC or CBD might activate the endocannabinoid system in a way that mimics the runner’s high,” said Gibson.

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I'm one of those folks who uses cannabis 95% of the time when I head out for a vigorous exercise session, biking hills, hiking mountains, xc skiing, snowshoeing, etc. When heading out for an hour or two vigorous bike session, I take a few tokes right before getting in the saddle and then may have another toot after 40 or so minutes or if heading up a steep slope. When hiking/skiing I head out sober and wait for 10 or 15 minutes before inbibing. If I get stoned to much before a session, I may forget that that's why I got stoned and wander off into something else. Though I'm mostly a concentrate person these days, for exercise and being outdoors I find sativa flower in dosing capsules in my ogCrafty or Fury2/POTV One is convenient, easy to use in windy, cold, and/or wet conditions, and keeps me moving.

PS: I'm 73 and retired to my beloved White Mountains, where its cold and snowy right now. I'm inside only steps away from my lovely woodstove. Nonetheless, I'm hoping to shoot down through Pinkham Notch later to North Conway to ride my ebike because its going to be a more moderate 37 or 38F and supposed to be sunnier than here on the mountain's north side. I'm less concerned with the cold--I'm a former winter mountaineer and late season biker with all the specialized equipment for hanging out in extreme cold and biking 'til there's ice on the road--than with getting road salt spray on my somewhat expensive emtn bike.

Last edited:

Nina

There are plenty of running shoe stores where you can get expert assistance. They'll look at your current shoes for how they are wearing, record you running so they can see your feet landing (pronation, etc.), note your running style (stride and turnover) and foot type (flat feet, etc.). They'll let you take a quick run in them too.
I've heard of them but never actually used one, I have settled with altra as I like the wide toe box + zero drop thing. I cant afford to chase the runners high like I used to, injuries, it costs too much in shoes and it works against strength training, for a while I identified as a runner who lifts, but at heart I am a lifter who runs
I'm one of those folks who uses cannabis 95% of the time when I head out for a vigorous exercise session, biking hills, hiking mountains, xc skiing, snowshoeing, etc.
amazing how it affects us differently, I would be too 'impaired', props to you it sounds great 😁

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha

As I approached from behind I thought this was someone trying to carry an xmas tree on their backs but I then realized it was a tree costume. As I passed him I said, "I often tell people I light up my bike like a christmas tree but you take it literally.", to which he laughed.

I then passed him and pulled over to take a few pics.

He called himself, "Mister Christmas Tree". He had a single ornament, a silver dancing bear.

Happy Holidays. :peace:

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Hey everyone, sorry for the prolonged absence, just been super busy, work for me is like that, feast or famine!

I am back running again, back up to 7 miles or so over the moors, going well, injury free. Happy days.

I have a hell of a time finding good shoes, long story, but have recently settled on these:

The stronger my muscles tendons ligaments become the less important it seems to be to find 'perfect' shoes, I have been out recently intending t go for a walk, low cut walking boots not even laced up and I can still run. It's worth doing that strength training alongside the running.

Hope everyone is well, Merry Christmas if you like that kind of thing, Happy Solstice if that's your preference, and just Happy Holidays if you prefer!

Have a good one :wave:

vapirtoo

That looks like a great supportive shoe. I love that
deep cleat type sole. Lets hope it sheds mud well.

I did a 24 mile bike ride with my wife's brother who
came up from Maryland with his bike.
As an experiment I rode without supplementation,
no edibles or vapor.
Fun ride, but when the pace went up and the burn
started to set in, I gave in. No deep breathing,
no spinning or alternative pedal style. All of my little
mind tricks went out the window. WTF!
Now I know why I ride high.
Oh yeah 14 mph average and he is 20 years younger.
The story of my life!
Happy Holidays peoples

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Yeah I run through bogs, my feet sink up to a foot into the mud at times, the shoes are specifically designed to handle this kind of torture well!

They also handle dry/wet rock, loose stone, etc. very well, they really do 'do it all' the only thing I don't like running on in them is tarmac, they are not designed for that at all and they feel a bit ridiculous. Thankfully I don't have to do this at all and there's only one small section of tarmac road near me I can easily avoid.

vapirtoo

Same ride, same partner, but this time I had a 20mg. edible and a few pulls on the Vapbong.
What a difference is perception! Pain was analyzed and breathed away.
Our average speed was exactly the same 13.9 mph, but this ride was easier and more enjoyable.
Great way to end the year!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
"I thought of that while riding my bicycle." - Albert Einstein RE: theory of Relativity.

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” - Hemingway

"April 19, 1943, Albert Hofmann, a chemist for Sandoz, in Basel, Switzerland, ingested a minute amount—just 250 micrograms--of a compound derived from the ergot fungus. He soon felt so disoriented that he rode his bicycle home, where he experienced all the heavenly and hellish effects of lysergic acid diethylamide.... Psychedelic enthusiasts now commemorate Hofmann's discovery of LSD's effects every April 19, a.k.a. "Bicycle Day."

"The upside of hills and bridges is they usually have a downside." - Me

Nice map @Siebter .

I used to track all my rides and after I tracked enough miles to have circumnavigated the globe I kind of lost interest. That was so long ago I think the app I used doesn't exist anymore. For anybody who doesn't track their stuff, they can still see some stats through the Google maps app default records.

December has been lower mileage than I prefer. I looked into a local kick boxing gym but I'm wary of the latest variant uptick and they were packed in tight, very little precautions in sight. May have to wait a while to get into a gym/group activity.

Looks like we are going to get into the shit soon. High 25 degrees here Tuesday the 11th. Pretty soon it will be just myself, a few other grizzled folks, and the unbelievably rugged food delivery guys, to whom I give credit. Many coming from tropical climes and riding in dollar store gear for 8+ hour shifts. Bless your souls for ferrying a hipsters Pad Thai through a blizzard. o7

VisiblyVaped

Seems like a lot of other cyclists in here. Anyone else enjoy some Zwift time during the super cold months?

VisiblyVaped,
Reactions: kel

vapirtoo

Yep
A friend of mine got me into it, and I must say the prompts and
all the people passing by make it very interesting.
I was hooked up to a old wind trainer so riding together was
tricky with the 20 second time lag.
I had to get a fan directed to my head!!!
I will be back on real soon.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
For over 20 years straight I ran the "Gate River Run 15K". I missed the race in 2021. My family convinced me that running that race with upwards of 15,000 participants sardined into groups and breathing heavy wasn't a covid smart thing to do.

Running that 15K is/was my yearly check as I age....I don't chase personal records anymore and the rules are simple - No stopping and no walking. To consider it a success I must run the entire race without a break. I've been telling myself for what feels like a lifetime that if I couldn't run that race without stopping it would be a sign I needed to see a doctor. Other than 2021 it's all been good.

In 2021 I hit a mental wall and it took a physical toll. I became unmotivated and didn't eat right or exercise. I think many of us were mentally affected by a myriad of things stemming from covid. I let myself go and put on 25 pounds and lost a bunch of muscle mass.

Several months ago I used this thread to motivate myself and got back at it. I've lost the extra 25 pounds and have been running 5K+ every other day and strength training on the alternate days, allowing one day per week for rest. I'm slightly ahead of my 15K training schedule for this time of the year thanks to this thread and those who frequent it.

I'm not sure if I'll run the actual race just yet as I have responsibilities to my grand-babies and a 5 day quarantine would make things hard on everyone. I will definitely continue to train for that 15K and if worse comes to worse will run it by myself for the yearly age check.

green68beetle

I have been using cannabis since 1977, with a few breaks, one as long as a decade. What I have noticed is that when I first started using cannabis the varieties were much more tropical sativa based, and more motivational and thought provoking than the couch lock strains that are more popular today. You can still find a lot of the old pot if you look hard enough but probably need to grow your own. I also notice that vaping makes me feel more active than smoking the same variety. Not sure why that is?

I am hardly an athlete, but I am fit for my age. I walk briskly every day, do tai chi daily, ride a bike now and then, do bodyweight exercises, and go on very long hikes. I also watch what I eat. I will vape before most of my evening walks, but other exercise is mostly cannabis free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom