Arizer Air vs Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcon

I am looking for something for home use so stealth is not an issue, but want something cordless that I can lay on the couch with etc. Not looking for a table unit. Under $150

I think I've narrowed it down to these two units. I actually have an Arizer Air arriving in the mail tomorrow, but I am wondering if I should have gone with the Grasshopper.

Please don't say keep it and get both. I only want one for now, and I want the better one. Also, I don't mind waiting a while for the Grasshopper to arrive.

I understand the Air may have a cooler vape, but frankly I like the tickle on my throat so I don't necessarily see that as a positive. I just want a reliable unit that is cordless and provides the best vape for under $150.

Grasshopper is more on demand, whereas the Air is more of a session. I do not care for one of these options anymore than the other.

In terms of vapor quality, how do these two compare? Generally speaking, why would I get one of these over the other if stealth and portability isn't an issue? For those of you lucky enough to own both of these devices, which one do you find yourself gravitating to more often?

Last edited:
redcon,

j-bug

Assuming you got a working grasshopper, which at this moment still appears to be a bit of an assumption, you'd probably be better off with a grasshopper. But a future vape that may or may not work is less good than one of the most reliable portables on the market already in your hand. If you're interested in an on-demand convection unit that fully extracts the actives I'd go with the Firewood, which is out of stock presently but gets restocked on a regular basis, which imo is better than a vape that you might get your hands on in February based on current, probably unreliable, shipping estimates.

The Arizer Air is wonderful and very reliable but a bit bulky, the Grasshopper is wonderful (when you get it and if it is working), and there are plenty of other vapes out there that could be the vape of your dream it really just depends on what your specific needs are.

redcon

Assuming you got a working grasshopper, which at this moment still appears to be a bit of an assumption, you'd probably be better off with a grasshopper. But a future vape that may or may not work is less good than one of the most reliable portables on the market already in your hand. If you're interested in an on-demand convection unit that fully extracts the actives I'd go with the Firewood, which is out of stock presently but gets restocked on a regular basis, which imo is better than a vape that you might get your hands on in February based on current, probably unreliable, shipping estimates.

The Arizer Air is wonderful and very reliable but a bit bulky, the Grasshopper is wonderful (when you get it and if it is working), and there are plenty of other vapes out there that could be the vape of your dream it really just depends on what your specific needs are.

Yeah, I've read about the QC issues w/ the Grasshopper. However, I think I am going to return the Air and order the Grasshopper, main reason being this: I am not a "session" person. I tend to rip my pipe once or twice, and then put it down for ten or fifteen minutes. And I think the Grasshopper will be much more accomadating to my style of smoking, errr vaping :p

How many good rips can you get out of the Grasshopper before having to refill? Any other reasons besides the questionable QC and shipping delays to avoid the Grasshopper?

Tommy10

Yeah, I've read about the QC issues w/ the Grasshopper. However, I think I am going to return the Air and order the Grasshopper, main reason being this: I am not a "session" person. I tend to rip my pipe once or twice, and then put it down for ten or fifteen minutes. And I think the Grasshopper will be much more accomadating to my style of smoking, errr vaping :p

How many good rips can you get out of the Grasshopper before having to refill? Any other reasons besides the questionable QC and shipping delays to avoid the Grasshopper?

If you want something you can do that with and are used to smoking a pipe, check out the vapman, VG or hammer if you feel like looking into torch vapes. Otherwise close in price is the firewood which is a heat on demand set up. Will have any of those before god knows when if you were to only just order a hopper.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I have no idea on the Grasshopper except if you got a good one it is happy days @redcon . If I was buying a first vape I would not be getting a GH but looking at a torch vape like @Tommy10 is suggesting or the Firewood is a valid alternative to the Air. The Firewood is up to version 3 & has most of the bugs ironed out & I can assure you the Air is bulletproof as are the butane vapes.

I can say that I personally enjoy my Air just kicking back & am strongly considering a Vapman to add to my arsenal as I don't have a apocalypse vape & it does seem awfully popular with a while bunch of regulars. Get the Vapman & a MF Orbiter if you are returning the Air & want a one/two hit quit vape :science:.

redcon

If you want something you can do that with and are used to smoking a pipe, check out the vapman, VG or hammer if you feel like looking into torch vapes. Otherwise close in price is the firewood which is a heat on demand set up. Will have any of those before god knows when if you were to only just order a hopper.

Well I don't want anything involving a torch. So it sounds like my best bets for a heat on demand setup are either a Firewood or rolling the dice on a Grasshopper.

I feel like everyone is opposed to the Grasshopper b/c of the QC issues and the wait. I have been smoking close to twenty yrs and never owned an herb vape, so another three to six months is no big deal to me. QC doesn't bother me too much since there is the lifetime warranty on the product.

The main reason I haven't owned vaporizers in the past is because I don't find them providing the type or rip or intensity I can get from glass and combustion. But the reason the Grasshopper seems intriguing is because I keep reading you can just rip and rip it to get milky clouds, whereas most of the other vaporizers seem to lean more towards the traditional "take slow, long drags method."

I'm not opposed to the Firewood, but it seems like in the videos I find the vapor is more akin to the traditional "take slow, long drags" vapor I am used to seeing from vaporizers, and less like the milky thick clouds I see coming out of the Grasshopper.

Can anyone comment on this? Basically, I would prefer something that more hits you square in the middle of the face and chest, rather than the smooooooth creeper type of vape that I am used to experiencing with most vaporizers.

Like I said, not opposed to the Firewood, but I'd much rather save my money and wait six months if I will enjoy the experience that much more.

Tommy10

Why not try a bubbler and a gong? Take one big vapor bong rip with the air and come back later... It's hardly instant with the heat up time, however it is available current.

Tommy10,

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
How much do you smoke now @redcon? If you are smoking north of a gram a day you will save a fortune if you keep the Air & acclimatize to vaping. I pack 1/2 GonG stems & rip it in 2 thick 1 light pulls on red. You can be done within 2-3 minutes tops &you will 1/2 your weed bill at a minimum. Hopefully the GH issues are resolved in Q1 2015 & you can then get a reliable on demand vape.

Tommy10

If you normally combust and down want s torch you can try a vaporgenie as it will work with a bic, vapor quality is great however. The zion is worth looking at and it might be out sooner than the GH and could potentially be even better in the eyes of many. Or have a look at some of the torch vapes and decide if you are 100% against because at the moment thats what ticks most of your boxes.

j-bug

Have you considered a plug in vape? Because if you're looking for something that'll knock you on you ass and is unde $150 you're not really likely to find that. It's my impression that the firewood can do a good hit and you're done, it might require breath control but you can certainly get everything you want out of it. I'm not sure which aspect of vaping is most important to you but it seems a bit like you're a cloud chaser, there's nothing wrong with that, just means you're gonna either wanna have a vape bong set up going on or you're going to want to use a plug in device or as people have said you're gonna want to use a torch. I'd also recommend considering mixing your stuff with herbs that produce even more vapor, I find that if I want to get massive clouds mixing in some dry lavendar can do wonders, plus it smells great imo.

j-bug,

redcon

@Stevenski , I probably go through two to three eighths a week, mostly out of a small bubbler. I have no doubt I'll save money, I just don't know if I'll be totally satisfied. Maybe w/ the Gong attachment I could get what I need out of it and save enough money in the meantime to justify purchasing something else in a few months

@Tommy10 , I'm just not really digging the idea of a torch vape b/c most of the time I am smoking I am laying long ways on my love seat on my back with my head and feet kicked up on the arm rest, so a torch isn't really a good idea. The Zion looks interesting. Why do you say it could potentially be better than the Grasshopper? Keep in mind stealth and portability isn't really a motivator for me, I just want something that rips

@j-bug , I've pretty much eliminated plug in vapes for the same reason I don't want torches outlined above. I don't know that I'm a cloud chaser, I've just not been totally satisfied w/ the few vapes I've experienced. I've only tried two: one was one of the wooden box cheap plug-ins, and one was the illustrious Volcano, but neither one of them really left me feeling fully satisfied. I use e-cigs and I don't sub-ohm vape, not that that means anything. I just want clouds because I correlate that with the punch in my chest and forehead I get from a nice milky bong rip etc.

Tommy10

@Stevenski , I probably go through two to three eighths a week, mostly out of a small bubbler. I have no doubt I'll save money, I just don't know if I'll be totally satisfied. Maybe w/ the Gong attachment I could get what I need out of it and save enough money in the meantime to justify purchasing something else in a few months

@Tommy10 , I'm just not really digging the idea of a torch vape b/c most of the time I am smoking I am laying long ways on my love seat on my back with my head and feet kicked up on the arm rest, so a torch isn't really a good idea. The Zion looks interesting. Why do you say it could potentially be better than the Grasshopper? Keep in mind stealth and portability isn't really a motivator for me, I just want something that rips

@j-bug , I've pretty much eliminated plug in vapes for the same reason I don't want torches outlined above. I don't know that I'm a cloud chaser, I've just not been totally satisfied w/ the few vapes I've experienced. I've only tried two: one was one of the wooden box cheap plug-ins, and one was the illustrious Volcano, but neither one of them really left me feeling fully satisfied. I use e-cigs and I don't sub-ohm vape, not that that means anything. I just want clouds because I correlate that with the punch in my chest and forehead I get from a nice milky bong rip etc.

Hammer is a torch vape with a built in torch so that would solve the problem, should also solve your something that rips issue. Zion is also looking like an absolute ripper and is battery powered.
Also, anywhere you could use a small bubbler yous be able to use a torch portable with much greater easy.

redcon

@Tommy10 , yeah the Hammer isn't really what I want but that might beg me through for a while. The Zion looks promising. What is the pricing and estimated ship date? Is there a thread on the Zion I can look into?

redcon,

j-bug

Some of the effects you're describing sound a bit like they're related to the stonier high that most get from combustion due to some of the byproducts of combustion. I'd personally recommend based on that you're going to be dissatisfied with vaping unless you completely quit combustion for a couple of weeks and only vape during that time. You may just not be used to the high from vaping. From what I've heard you can get decent lung busting hits from almost any vape with the right technique. maybe check out the Arizer air thread and share your experiences there and I'm sure one of the many dedicated air users will be able to help you get what you want out of your Air. Also maybe check out a water pipe adaptor for the Air as that may just be what you need for the Air to do what you want.

I'd also like to second what Tommy10 said about the Hammer. I'm looking to pick one of those up just as soon as my wallet has recovered from the holidays or another butane vape, but I'm really leaning towards the hammer as it is self contained.

j-bug,
Reactions: Tommy10

redcon

Some of the effects you're describing sound a bit like they're related to the stonier high that most get from combustion due to some of the byproducts of combustion. I'd personally recommend based on that you're going to be dissatisfied with vaping unless you completely quit combustion for a couple of weeks and only vape during that time. You may just not be used to the high from vaping. From what I've heard you can get decent lung busting hits from almost any vape with the right technique. maybe check out the Arizer air thread and share your experiences there and I'm sure one of the many dedicated air users will be able to help you get what you want out of your Air. Also maybe check out a water pipe adaptor for the Air as that may just be what you need for the Air to do what you want.

I'd also like to second what Tommy10 said about the Hammer. I'm looking to pick one of those up just as soon as my wallet has recovered from the holidays or another butane vape, but I'm really leaning towards the hammer as it is self contained.

I think you may be right about the combustion effects. I dind't realize the flame was contained w/ the Hammer and it looks like it rips. I think I may order the Hammer to tide me over until the Zion comes out since it's only $72 shipped right now :)

redcon,
Reactions: Tommy10

Tommy10

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/zion-vaporizer.17061/page-148#post-892632

Also, in the laying situation you describe, do you use your bubbler? Because all the portable butane vapes I can think of would all be much easier than smoking a bowl laying down. The daisy is the biggest around bubbler size, but no water to spill. The torches are small, not much bigger than a bic just a bit bulkier and the hotter flame is much easier to control. The process of heating say a vapman can be done in an area the size of an iPhone 6... Then you hit it.

I also love my hammer! If your bubbler a 14-18mm male/female joint or is it just a recessed bowl like a spoon? Because the hammer through a bubbler is verrrrry nice!

Tommy10,

redcon

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/zion-vaporizer.17061/page-148#post-892632

Also, in the laying situation you describe, do you use your bubbler? Because all the portable butane vapes I can think of would all be much easier than smoking a bowl laying down. The daisy is the biggest around bubbler size, but no water to spill. The torches are small, not much bigger than a bic just a bit bulkier and the hotter flame is much easier to control. The process of heating say a vapman can be done in an area the size of an iPhone 6... Then you hit it.

I also love my hammer! If your bubbler a 14-18mm male/female joint or is it just a recessed bowl like a spoon? Because the hammer through a bubbler is verrrrry nice!

Maybe bubbler isn't the right word. It's basically like a sherlock with a recessed spoon so the angle works fine laying down, but it won't attach to a vape. I was under the impression that the butane vapes used an external torch, like you would use on an oil rig. Are most of the butane vapes self-contained like the hammer? Are there other self-contained butane vapes I should look at?

redcon,

Tommy10

Maybe bubbler isn't the right word. It's basically like a sherlock with a recessed spoon so the angle works fine laying down, but it won't attach to a vape. I was under the impression that the butane vapes used an external torch, like you would use on an oil rig. Are most of the butane vapes self-contained like the hammer? Are there other self-contained butane vapes I should look at?

Hammer is the only contained one I could think of, however the torches you use are the little wind proof pocket torches you see in smoke shops and fuel stations, for cigars and such. Much smaller than an oil rig torch.

Tommy10,
Reactions: j-bug

dirtdragon

Only ones I found to give huge hits like your are talking about in a portable is the Mighty or Crafty.

dirtdragon,
Reactions: j-bug

redcon

I think I'll just get the Hammer Pro for now until the Zion is finalized. Have there been any whispers of a possible shipping date? Pardon my laziness, but don't care to scour 151 forum pages to find out....

@Tommy10 , do you find having to hold the ignition button on the hammer pro to become annoying after some time during sessions?

Last edited:
redcon,

TheWhisper

The Solo paired with a bubbler is a great option. It's reliable, easy to use, and you can get wall-to-wall milk from it.

TheWhisper,

ZC

I'd say if you're looking for something affordable that can produce clouds, you might want to reconsider getting something with a plug. A log vape or an LSV will give you the results your looking for, for a reasonable price. If you're mostly looking to vape on the couch an extension cord will give you the same freedoms as a portable, without the need to charge it every day. Just keep in mind that not all plug in vapes are big, hulking, "desktop" units.

ZC,
Reactions: Vapenvy

Jethro

I am discovering that as I've been vaping for years and years, the only vapes I can't live without are butane powered vapes. Because they never break down and they never need power. And if you want the best "one hitter" type vape? Hard to beat butane powered.

Farid

If you vape at home, a log can't be beat if you're a 1 hitter type of guy. I used to own an air that I used mostly at home, but replaced it with a UD cause I realized I vape at home 95% of the time. I find the air or solo feels similar to smoking a joint, in that it offers several hits back to back, whereas the UD is like taking a snap from a bong in that the vapor is thick, and you really only need one hit.

redcon

I get that a log or dedicated table unit is the best vapor all things equal. However, usually I am sitting on my couch with my feet up on the arms of my couch and my laptop on my crotch.

The idea of being able to reach over and just click a switch for a few seconds and get immediate vapor is much more appealing to me than having to reach over with one arm, swing an attached cord around glasses and dishes or whatever else is on the table, then reach over with my other arm at an awkward angle to grab the stem, and have to do that process every time I want a toke.

I realize I may be giving up some vapor quality, but everything I read says the Hammer Pro can be a one hitter quitter as well. So my real question is how much heavy vapor action am I losing? If it is 10% or 15% that is one thing and I would readily forgo that for the convenience of the Hammer. However, if it's something like 25% or more because it is an entirely different league, then that is a different conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom