Are you overweight? (informal study, not spam haha)

The common mainstream perception of using mj is that if you do so, you'll get the munchies and be lazy. You'd think that this would lead to a high prevalence of obesity among mj users, but I actually read a study saying that obesity rates among "pot smokers" are actually much lower than for the general population. And come to think of it, most mj users I know are pretty slim.

The study even suggests that components of mj might lead to weight loss. So, be honest - are you overweight? Did you gain or lose weight after you started using mj?

OKcomputer,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I am thin, I have many oversensitive senses (taste, sight, skin and body feelings), so i can feel my stomach overwhelmingly full after I eat only a little, also complex tastes are fucking with my brain and only while high I can appreciate them as it makes my brain to join these tastes into that desired one. But doesn't help me to gain weight, I think i just need to become older and have my metabolism slowed down.

Seek,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
no. 175 lbs at 6'3". i weigh 20 pounds less than when i left high school in 1966. have maintained 170-175 for the last 20 years.

but i'm playing a new end game: buff before i die. So i anticipate adding a pound of muscle mass per year until i kick.

Hippie Dickie,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I used to be overweight years ago, but after a year or so of heavy MJ use, and a diet change to vegetarian I am now healthier than I have ever been in my entire life. I totally noticed a change in my metabolism when I started to get high everyday. Ever since I have thought about pot and weight and it seems that all of my regular stoner friends are nowhere near being overweight. Being vegetarian does help one from not getting shitty fast food, which was also a part of my diet change obviously. Unless you love french fries most drive through's don't have much, so eventually you stop going all together because there is no reason to, hell there never was a reason to.

aesthyrian,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
yes, when the diet is right everything else just falls into place. Also, doing 30 minutes of aerobics a day for the last 30 years snapped my eating habits into healthy. i know when i eat something what it will do to my next workout ... sometimes i make the sacrifice: either give up the goodie, or workout through the pain.

Hippie Dickie,
I'm 6'2" at 170 lbs, I was probably at about 210 or 215 before I started using mj more frequently (daily, rather than one a month at most) about 2 years ago. However, 2 years ago is also when I met my now-wife and stopped playing World of Warcraft, haha. But, I work from home, so I'm still on the computer for 8+ hours every day. Multiple factors at play, I guess.

I still feel like I can eat basically whatever I want though, and I do get the munchies sometimes and find myself in the kitchen eating peanut butter with a damn spoon. But somehow, I'm thinner now than I have been in years.

edit: (oh, and I'm in my mid-20s, so i imagine my metabolism is still decent)

OKcomputer,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I'm probably about 10+ pounds underweight. I like that buffer, just in case of the munchies :p

The more you weigh, the more you need to vaporize!

Just another reason to stay light ;)

sessnet,

Truefreak

Part Time Vaporist
I am very overweight. 6'2" about 335lb. My peak was 365lbs. I've been steady loosing about 2lbs/month for the last 2 years or so. I got my med card a little over 2 years ago...

Truefreak,

treecityrnd

Very underweight. One of the many medical benefits from MMJ is the appetite stimulation for me. I've gone from 140lbs at my worst to almost 170lbs today because of exercise and MMJ.

I think it can be as hard to gain weight (for someone in my condition) as it is to lose weight for many people. For instance, most people (especially at my work) don't want to hear, "i just kept eating and couldn't gain any weight".

Edit: I'm 6-2, so 140 was pretty "skeletonish" for anyone.

treecityrnd,

crawdad

floatin
i do get the munchies way more now (vs before toking) but my weight has not changed drastically. not sure i totally understand that but i do appreciate it.

crawdad,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
First thing that happened when I started vaping was my blood pressure came down back into the normal range. No more Micardis for me!!! :) I have had an uncontrolled weight loss since I started as well but I was overweight and am now back at my weight before I became ill.

Edit: It seems the more I vape and the LESS pills I take, the better I get . . . hmmmmm . . . :)

t-dub,

PB88123

Vaporist
I lost 20-25 pounds once I switched from eating lots of food and drinking beer everyday to drinking water and using MJ everyday while eating less.

PB88123,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i would consider myself a healthy weight, perhaps slightly under the norm, last time i weighed myself i was around 120, and i am 5'7", so pretty short and skinny

stroh,
So far, I'm seeing nothing but positive (or at worst, neutral) changes coinciding with mj use...

-increased appetite/enjoyment of food
-weight loss when desired
-weight gain when desired
-lowering of blood pressure when desired

Could it be that mj has a way of normalizing your metabolism?

OKcomputer,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I also dropped about 15 pounds when I started medicating daily. I'm 5' 10" and 155lbs. I think it has to do with my decreased beer intake. I don't like to harsh a good pot buzz, so often times I'll wait until late in the evening to have my first beer. Once I start, I'm drinking until bedtime (I know this about myself), so I make it a point to not drink beer until at least 7:pM (my old rule used to be "Noon" but it was always "Noon" somewhere).
:peace:

treecityrnd

OKcomputer said:
Could it be that mj has a way of normalizing your metabolism?
Or is there a correlation between people who vaporize and overall health consciousness? That is to say; if some one vaporizes MMJ as opposed to combusting, are they more concerned/aware with other aspects of their life (exercise, diet, education, etc.) compared to your typical "dirty pot head" stereotyped combuster?

I know this personally to be the case. I've always been "health conscious" but became even more so after starting to vaporize. Once my hacking cough finally cleared up after about 6 months of straight vaporizing, I was able to exercise more effectively, sleep better (dont wake up coughing), etc. This was a long time ago and I almost feel like I'm in high school again I have so much energy

And is this all then correlated with my mental health too? I'm don't believe one can truly separate the body from the mind. My depression/anxiety has gotten exponentially more manageable and it rarely affects my daily life now.

A vast improvement from where I was mentally and physically before I started vaporizing 2+ years ago. Although I've purchased/tested & sold (many here on FC, thanks!) almost 2 dozen different vapes, I'm a noob at only 2+ years. There are many 10+ people on FC. Think of all the good to come :)

Edit: for typos. "smart"phone spellcheck is pretty dumb sometimes.

treecityrnd,
Reactions: underdog

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Hey ! What a nice thread.
I used to be 172 cm(which reminds me i havent measured my height in almost 1 year ). and i am 57 kg atm .. but i just finished 30 days detox.. and i am raw vegan 85 % at least :D .. I am pretty well build now thanks to practicing wing chun,aikido,yoga,rebreating in the last 3 years.. + i am on the way of becoming real raw vegan ...
I wanna share how my weight changed in last 3-4 years.. Before that i was kind of going into bad shape after few years of gymnastics and athletics . Never been overweight until i stopped training.. and start eating junk food..
i went to 73 kg with 12 % bodyfat..
I stopped cigarretes and bad dope + worst junkfood as chips,precooked meals.. and i lost 10 kilos in 6 months resulting in skinny fat.. 55 kg 12 % bodyfat..
I stopped eating meat.. and started more nut and veggies and fruits.. i went to 60 kg 8 % and i started to look normal for my likings
I stopped diary products + 99% of animal products.. ( i cant tell if i havent eaten some whitout knowing .. or was too hungry to be able avoid.. a minimal amount.. ) + i started training aikido and but soon went to wing chun , :D..
No i am as ripped as ever.. and i feel like i am in the bloom of my powers :D.. LOL.. 57 kg 4 % bodyfat

Abysmal Vapor,

djonkoman

I've always been at the edge of underweight if you look at my BMI, I think I'm presently also a little under what's considered healthy. but so is my father, being skinny just runs in the family, so BMI doesn't count on that, don't feel that weed makes a difference(since it runs in the family, and they don't smoke/vape)
I don't weigh myself often, weight is something I pay no attention to since I can eat what I want without noticing changes in my weight, but I think I'm at something similar as abysmal.
also I'm a small eater, I don't like feeling full so I just eat enough to not feel hungry anymore but never till feeling full, except special ocassions, I do eat very regularly tough(I don't get people skipping breakfast fir example, breakfast is what wakes me up and gets me going in the morning, I don't notice anything from a cup of coffee but breakfast is to me wgat a cup of coffee n the morning is for oher people)
also I don't eat reallu unhealthy, but not especially healthy too. I do have some healthy taste tough, for example I like brown bread(not the just darkbrowncolord but still whitetasting, but just the lightbrown fullgrainbread) but never liked white bread, it's too soggy
also sometimes I get munchies for fruit, and a while ago I switched to mostly drinking water instead of soda/sweetflavored beverages

I suspect I just naturally have a low fat%, if it's a little hot or so I also get very swollen veins on my arms, hands, feet and legs(a friend once joked I would be the perfect heroinaddict since I would never have to search for a vein)
I also noticed that when I'm bored in a hot room I can entertain myself with it, arm down and my veins swell up a lot, arm up above my head and they lie flat again(but still visible)
and eventough I don't work out at all(except driving bicycle for transportation) my muscles are well visible

djonkoman,

manchild

Vapourist
I have always been a very skinny person. My legs are embarrassingly thin. My diet I would say is pretty average with short bursts of healthy eating. I excercise most days either surfing, running or basketball. My current weight is 68kg at 6'3". I really feel quite blessed. TV shows like the Biggest Loser and similar always bring a tear to my eye.

I can use MJ as both an appetite stimulant or suppressant depending on the situation. Even the same strain can have both effects depending on what I need at the time.

This is not the only aspect in which MJ has seemingly opposite effects depending on my needs. MJ will do whatever I want it to do. This appears to be the case with many of my heavy using friends. It really is an amazing plant. :D

manchild,

Smokey

Cloud Master
I always stayed in a normal weight range, I would say more to the skinny side, I always did sports like swimming, skateboarding, paragliding, motorcycling and snowboarding so I was really never at risk of getting overweight. I'm 174cm tall and my weight is 62Kg, didn't notice any significant difference since starting MJ use, besides starting to actually enjoy more different eating flavors.

Smokey,

lwien

Overweight. I run 15 to 20 miles a week and I still weigh 225lbs. Fuck, if I wasn't running (burn about 800 cals a run) I'd be a fucking blimp. I LOVE food, regardless if I'm high or not.

lwien,

tuscan tins

I haven't used in a while, but even when I do, I am incredibly underweight and fit! Aerobic exercise is the best :brow:

tuscan tins,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I am 5' 11'' at 150 lbs, 9.9% body fat, lean muscle. I would say I am definitely not overweight, and stay fit even with my crazy munchie habits

Elluzion,
Top Bottom