Are larger hits actually wasteful?

B.

War Criminal
Not too sure why my original topic was closed...If im doin it wrong let me know.

Theres been lots of talk that the lungs are able to more fully absorb smaller hits, and that larger hiys waste a higher % of your vapor. Is this true?

maybe bigger hits are less efficient but more effective?

For this thread, im looking for actual facts, and maybe a source or two. Hopefully if we stay away from opinions and conjecture no one will get their feelings hurt,the thread will stay open for more than 2 days, and maybe we'll learn something.

B.,

Nosferatu

I dont think theres really facts on it but i dont see why its so hard for people to understand. Vapor absorbs into the lungs very slowly. A small amount of vapor can be completely absorbed in about 20 seconds or so. Any more in your lungs and in the same 20 seconds of holding your breath you will still have absorbed the same amount as you did the first time. The rest can still be absorbed but it needs more time. It isnt healthy to hold your breath for long because of lack of oxygen, and I'd say thats under 30 seconds for most people, especially with lungs full of vapor, if not under 20 seconds.

So yes, the extra you blow out is just good vapor wasted, just as good as what you just ansorbed. I heard of a study and try it with your significant other where one takes big hits and blows them into the others mouth. the other person who didnt touch the vape gets just as high. the visible vapor blown out is just as good but wasted. So yes small hits are better but it doesnt have to be tiny, vapings so efficent who cares if your wasting clouds. Its just so damn potent anyways. This whole things just my opinion who knows if theres studies on it. :uhoh:

Nosferatu,

Nycdeisel

I dont aim for the largest vapor hits possible, and I always re breathe at least once or twice on each hit. I dont know of any real studies on this, but it always made sense form a logical standpoint.

Nycdeisel,

B.

War Criminal
Im all about the rebreathe tek for sure.

Masbanji-when you say a small amount of vapor can be completely absorbed, do you have a source on that? youre saying a medium rip or a huge rip will result in the same amount of vapor being absorbed in the first 20 seconds? How do you know this? Please dont take this the wrong way, but im trying to keep this thread from becoming a source of misinformation, and while your opinion may be dead right(i dont believe it is, if it were larger hits wouldnt get me higher unless I held them in longer), lets see what folks smarter than myself come up with as far as the science of vapor absorption goes.

I promise, im not trying to dis you or start an argument :peace:

B.,

Adaox

I think to some degree they are. While I have no science on this re-breathing seems to work best on med hits.

Also the bigger the hit, the higher you get. Yes! But are you getting the maximum amount of high possible? I'm not sure about that. I think we can all agree that some thc is left in what we exhale. With that being said, the more we exhale the more thc is coming out.

Try looking up something called a bong-a-loon or something like that. Basically it lets you shot gun yourself over and over again. After the second or third pass you actually end up exhaling MUCH less visible vapor (or smoke) and in theory less thc. All test runs say this gets you sky high... but I has no scientific proof.

Take it for you will. I'd be very interested in hearing the factual truth on this. Just tossing out some ideas for now that seem to make sense and perhaps someone else could test out properly.

Adaox,

luchiano

You can read what I posted in the previous thread about this but I forgot to mention that it really depends on your lungs and how efficient they are. If you do a lot of interval training or even high intensity running such as sprints daily you will absorb vapor quicker than someone who has weaker lungs than you as well as hold more vapor than them.

Look up v02 max and interval training to learn more. I did previous posts on this subject and shown how to improve lung efficiency just look through my post.

Also, I don't know if I posted it but make sure you eat a lot foods high in good fats such as various nuts and seeds and/or avocados daily along with the running because this will help the lungs become efficient as well as give endurance for those long slow hits.

I've been on both sides having weak lungs and strong lungs and there is definitely a difference in how quick the vapor is absorbed and how much you can hold.

When I want a fast oncoming high I inhale deep and quick which will give a high air to vapor/smoke ratio so it won't be as potent as it can be because it doesn't last that long but because it was so strong and fast it gives an initial strong high but tapers off fast. When I want a strong longer lasting high I take slower, longer hits or I play around with the technique but to keep certain ratios of air:vapor I do a quick and strong hit or soft and long hit.

luchiano,

Beezleb

it should not be surprising that healthy and in good shape lungs will perform better than someone who does not work out or take actions that improve them.

For everyday people, I enjoy larger draws to smaller ones. Enjoy what works for you, getting all technical will only get your head spinning. Some people prefer smaller lighter vapor draws while others like big draws. It is the same compared to smoking. Some people prefer to rip huge bongs and some like one hitters and both people get where they "want" to be. No right nor wrong answer.

My preference is to have a medium to even large size draws. To some, yep it is probably wasting but for others they understand it is just right. Sort of the same view point as a "best" vaporizer. It is simply an issue that is subjective to each persons preferences. I find vaping little draws annoying but for others they would see me blowing huge clouds of vapor of simple waste. I justify it by the sensation being far greater per draw, with a larger inhale compared to little draws for me anyways.

Beezleb,

Nosferatu

B. said:
Im all about the rebreathe tek for sure.

Masbanji-when you say a small amount of vapor can be completely absorbed, do you have a source on that? youre saying a medium rip or a huge rip will result in the same amount of vapor being absorbed in the first 20 seconds? How do you know this? Please dont take this the wrong way, but im trying to keep this thread from becoming a source of misinformation, and while your opinion may be dead right(i dont believe it is, if it were larger hits wouldnt get me higher unless I held them in longer), lets see what folks smarter than myself come up with as far as the science of vapor absorption goes.

I promise, im not trying to dis you or start an argument :peace:

I think bigger hits get you higher because they force your lungs to expand, allowing you to absorb vapor quicker. But too large a hit is still wastefull because I dont think the amount more you can absorb is as much as most take in. I myself blow big clouds everyday and still get ripped. if I have time I hold them in and do get higher that way. But vapor is already so potent theres almost no reason to unless you have a high tolerance and your low on bud. I'm not trying to spread misinformation this is just what I heard, but no not from a source, I dont think there is one yet on this.

Nosferatu,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I've been doing so much (unscientific, not-so-exact) testing on this since i started vaping a year+ ago. One of the main reasons that i switched to vaporization was to conserve on herb, and i've been trying to figure out what temp/thickness is most effective at this. It's really really hard to compare the effects because of all the variables. Like, the first bowl of the day always hits me way harder because of how many hours have passed since my last bowl of the previous night. There are also variables such as how long its been since i woke up, if/when I ate, if i got any exercise or not.

But anyways, in the end, it seems like if i take bigger hits that i get to a higher level quicker, but it tapers off more rapidly. Theres that dizzy, numbing headrush sort of sensation you get when you take a huge rip that a lot of people really like, self included. But, vaping the same amount taking smaller hits seems to create a slightly different sort of buzz and make it last longer. However, that could largely be due to the fact that it takes longer to vape when you're going for smaller hits because of how many more of them you get. So you're buzzed during the vaping process plus however long after that.

I dunno really tho, in the end. I'm just as curious for solid proof of which is better as you. I usually go with temp ramping, starting low, and smaller hits because it seems like i use less herb in the end, but thats because im not always out to get smashed, just medicated.

steiner666,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
steiner666 said:
I've been doing so much (unscientific, not-so-exact) testing on this since i started vaping a year+ ago. One of the main reasons that i switched to vaporization was to conserve on herb, and i've been trying to figure out what temp/thickness is most effective at this. It's really really hard to compare the effects because of all the variables. Like, the first bowl of the day always hits me way harder because of how many hours have passed since my last bowl of the previous night. There are also variables such as how long its been since i woke up, if/when I ate, if i got any exercise or not.

But anyways, in the end, it seems like if i take bigger hits that i get to a higher level quicker, but it tapers off more rapidly. Theres that dizzy, numbing headrush sort of sensation you get when you take a huge rip that a lot of people really like, self included. But, vaping the same amount taking smaller hits seems to create a slightly different sort of buzz and make it last longer. However, that could largely be due to the fact that it takes longer to vape when you're going for smaller hits because of how many more of them you get. So you're buzzed during the vaping process plus however long after that.

I dunno really tho, in the end. I'm just as curious for solid proof of which is better as you. I usually go with temp ramping, starting low, and smaller hits because it seems like i use less herb in the end, but thats because im not always out to get smashed, just medicated.

My findings echo your thoughts VERY closely. I have found that 225*C on my vape (EQ) is the best of both worlds (good hits + good consumption). My hits are cloudy, not super thick, but enough to 'satisfy' me. I find that if I vape at 210*, the smaller hits don't seem to do much for me. I do have a high-ish tolerance I guess. I have noticed that since getting my WDZ unit, More 'air-y' hits are satisfying me now, so its kinda of making me re-evaluate my use and my findings.

finchrock24,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
For me, I am more like masbanji's line of thought. With an extremely large hit, your body will be taking in as much as it can from the hit and the shoots it to the brain. With smaller hits your not getting that massive dose to the brain, your just trickling it in. With the smaller hits it is more likely that a good portion of that vapor will be absorbed. But that is because of the size and how long you are able to hold it in. You can hold a smaller hit in much longer than a larger hit. But that does not mean the dosing of THC to the blood and then onto the brain will be enough to cause an immediate effect.
Its like doing shots of hard alcohol in quick succession vs taking the same amount of alcohol and making a mixed drink which you take a long time to drink. Both will have an effect on you, but they will hit you different. The large vapor hits dump massive amounts THC into the blood. Smaller ones slowly build up that amount in a cumulative effect.
Both get you high, its just a matter of how quickly do you want to get there, and how long do you want it to last.
now the thing with the smaller hits is, if you got your technique down your not going to be expelling that much vapor, thus there is no waste.
But I think the term of wasteful is only used with big hits because those who use smaller hits try to absorb as much vapor as possible. With big hits you cannot absorb the whole hit. You cannot hold it in long enough to cause the vapor to start condensing and leave some trace of itself to be absorbed after you have exhaled. With smaller hits you can.
I would say big hits are wasteful if efficiency (in regards to amount of herb used, and quality of extraction) in a vaporizer is your priority. If you want good quality vapor from the smallest amount of herb I can see the want to absorb as much as possible from as little as possible.
There are differences in the high when it comes to big and small hits. If the over all effect of the high is what you are after, then the big hits are not wasteful if that is the high you want to experience. So I would say the term wasteful only comes into play if it does not match your preferred use of the vape and desired effects.

DevoTheStrange,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I seem to have settled in on medium/large hits. I just try to make the first 2 or 3 LB hits a little bigger to get a good cough to open the lungs up. From then I just take decent hits and hold them for about 4-6 seconds. I usually get high and forget to hold my hits towards the end of the sesh :)

The old theory I remember was that coughing opened up the capillaries, causing the lungs to get more blood flow, causing more THC to be absorbed. So in theory if you can get a good cough at first and then just remember to hold your hits.

JDSupreme,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I'd have to agree on the hits that make you cough. For me it is not often but every once in a while I will get a hit that makes me cough pretty hard. Those hits tend to make me immediately red eyed and feeling pretty high. Anything after that is a small hit, I cannot hold in large hits for the life of me once a cougher has happened.

DevoTheStrange,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
For sure the coughing hits are the best, because I know when my first hit is medium and the second hit is a coughing hit, that when I know I am about to be relaxed and space walking.

lesvape,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i find i only cough if the temp is too high ... so i back off about 4F and the coughing stops.

Hippie Dickie,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
But also to take into consideration (especially for the newb to vaping) the psychological value into play here.

Hits that 'appear' big and milky are the sought after ones no? I mean, I get blasted from my Zap using little over a longer period and I get blasted from my SSV using more over a shorter period (and bigger clouds)

I think some of it is psychological for me and especially my smoking buddies. While I like my efficiency and getting the most out of my herb, there are many facets to the experience that have a contribution.

AGBeer,
To weigh in on this, big hits = win. I have a pretty monster tolerance seemingly, and require big vape rips, which has led me to mostly using lighter-based, bong-compatible vaporizers, which seem to do a very good job and leave my desk uncluttered by cables and whips.

I'd really like to try a DBV or SSV, as I hear they're supposed to be the monster hitters of the whip-vape world.

charliedontsurf,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
charliedontsurf said:
I'd really like to try a DBV or SSV, as I hear they're supposed to be the monster hitters of the whip-vape world.

You have chosen wisely

lastcrusade-knight_5449.jpg

AGBeer,
Top Bottom