• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Are Concentrates Edible?

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Had my first bout of Covid this summer and seem to have lingering lung issues, not serious it appears, but persistent. Of course I have one of the best stashes of concentrates ever: Two excellent rosins, great live resin, rosin sauce, and shatters. I much prefer vaping, but.... I'm 300 miles from the nearest dispensary, so getting quality edibles is an issue. So can I eat the concentrates as is? Are concentrates already decarboxylated? Should I just throw some in a brownie mix and let the heat decarb during baking? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
It's unlikely that they're decarbed I would think. Trusting the baking process to decarboxylate isn't advised because the mixture will somewhat insulate the concentrate.

You can put the concentrate in a shot glass and decarb on a coffee warmer or similar. Watch for the small bubbles to slow down and nearly stop and you should be decarbed and ready to cook with. Try with the cheapest shatter first! Good luck man

Last edited:

shredder

I'd decarb them.
I've decarbed concentrates, mixed with coconut oil, add some lecithin to aid absorbtion and filled gell caps. Refrigerate the caps use when necessary.

Good answer and I agree.

Feco, rso, and distillate are already decarbed the rest most likely aren't although rosin may be partially decarbed depending on the heat/pressure.

Along with the capsules I like to use concentrates in chocolate and infuse mct oil with it. And you can use it in butter or oil for baking. In fact all of my edibles, other than weed capsules, are made with concentrates.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
all of my edibles, other than weed capsules, are made with concentrates.
Please tell me how you do it. I can't get my head around putting a bit of stuff in a shot glass and heating it. The stuff will just stick, won't it? Shot glass with a bit and butter in the microwave I understand...maybe. I'm a bit confused, as concentrates are such small quantities.

GoldenBud

i decarbed 0.3gr of bubble hash 2 months ago(it's around 55% THCA) , it was so potent i felt it even 24 hours after....
you need a baking paper, microwave lid, set microwave to Medium heating for 3 minutes. don't take 0.3gr in 1 shot if you still have plans for the next 8-12 hours after, take 0.1gr max then....

it felt like a decarb from oven for real....

I added the hash after decarb to some yogurt

Last edited:

shredder

Please tell me how you do it. I can't get my head around putting a bit of stuff in a shot glass and heating it. The stuff will just stick, won't it? Shot glass with a bit and butter in the microwave I understand...maybe. I'm a bit confused, as concentrates are such small quantities.

The concentrate in a shot glass melts into a puddle during decarbing. Then it's easily mixed with an oil or butter for use. Or taken up in a syringe. It's not hard to do at all.

Since I have a decarb machine I use that. But you can use an oven or a hot plate or a coffee warmer.

On a coffee warmer I heat until the bubbles stop. First you see larger bubbles (water) as it heats then smaller bubbles (co2) when the bubbles stop its decarbed. On a low heat coffee warmer it may take some hours.

GoldenBud

P.S - most concentrates contain THCA, they need decarb process
if they contain THC they don't need

GoldenBud,

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I use a small pyrex mixing bowl with a handle to mix the whole batch. Decarb the concentrate with a small amount of coconut oil - I do around 45 minutes in a 300F oven (need the mix to get to 240F for 30 minutes or so) stirring the mix a few times to watch for bubbles. Cover with foil to keep smell down. Once the decarb is done, immediately add lecithin and melting chocolate (can use a water bath to keep it hot enough to melt the chocolate). Mix well and pour into silicone molds (my 3 molds hold 1/3 cup each for 15 pieces - 45 total) - rubber spatula gets it all. I've not included any amounts here - I make them very strong (100 - 150mg per piece) and use roughly 700mg per gram of concentrate ( I use rosin) to estimate strength - adjust concentrate, oil and lecithin inputs amount as desired.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I put about six hits worth of nice shatter in a shot glass with some olive oil--no place within hundreds of miles of here to get MCT or lecithin and Amazon.ca takes eight to fourteen business days to get here. Carefully heated it in the microwave until the shatter had bubbled and melted and then stirred with the tip of a knife and gave it a bit more heat but no bubbling. Ate about a third of the oil mix two hours ago and like the way I feel! LOL! Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I use exactly as per @RustyOldNail oil bath method. I wait until bubbles stop, generally around 20 mins at approx 120c.

On Monday I decarbed 11 g of rosin and then added approx 8ml of MCT oil. A friend gave me some dropper bottles used for CBD. Works great.

IMG-20220910-114638-591.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I use exactly as per @RustyOldNail oil bath method. I wait until bubbles stop, generally around 20 mins at approx 120c.

On Monday I decarbed 11 g of rosin and then added approx 8ml of MCT oil. A friend gave me some dropper bottles used for CBD. Works great.

IMG-20220910-114638-591.jpg

How many drops?

Ramahs,

Ramahs

Approximately 200 drops per bottle.
My apologies. What I meant to ask was was more along the lines of "How many drops to get you where you want to be?".
And, now that I think about it, how often do you feel the need to re-dose to maintain the high?

Ramahs,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
For the last year I found that the simple everclear tincture works best for me. After decarbing and while the concentrate is still warm I mix 20ml of everclear per 1 gram decarbed shatter. I figure the strength of the shatter I get to be around 600mg/g. So the tincture comes out to around 30mg/ml which I measure with a 1ml syringe. Usually .6mg is all I need for a restful sleep. You can add it to a drink or squirt it on a piece of cake, but I gave up on the hassle of making edibles.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
For the last year I found that the simple everclear tincture works best for me. After decarbing and while the concentrate is still warm I mix 20ml of everclear per 1 gram decarbed shatter. I figure the strength of the shatter I get to be around 600mg/g. So the tincture comes out to around 30mg/ml which I measure with a 1ml syringe. Usually .6mg is all I need for a restful sleep. You can add it to a drink or squirt it on a piece of cake, but I gave up on the hassle of making edibles.

Same here. Though it’s a bit rough sublingual. I usually have to take a shot glass of water after 30 seconds to kill the 190 proof fire. But it’s the fastest delivery method and avoids the liver process unlike edibles.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Same here. Though it’s a bit rough sublingual. I usually have to take a shot glass of water after 30 seconds to kill the 190 proof fire. But it’s the fastest delivery method and avoids the liver process unlike edibles.
Yeah, it is rough that way. I stopped the under the tongue thing because I wasn't noticing the fast onset and it burns. I just take it with water or food right before bed. I don't have problems falling asleep, I have trouble staying asleep later in the night so I figure it just kicks in when I need it most.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
My apologies. What I meant to ask was was more along the lines of "How many drops to get you where you want to be?".
And, now that I think about it, how often do you feel the need to re-dose to maintain the high?
Hi. Makes more sense! I was confused without context of level of high, or for that matter tolerance.
Tbh I can't answer v well. I've only been playing with tinctures/ infusions recently, and I prefer vaping. Eating doesn't seem to effect me. Never has. My tolerance is fairly high I think (average 3g per day).
if I have 2 drops every few hours i certainly feel mellow. I had 8 drops a few nights back and I slept well that night but was hungover for much of the following day.
Recently a couple of drops before bed seems to help minimise the 4am wake up call.

shredder

Hi. Makes more sense! I was confused without context of level of high, or for that matter tolerance.
Tbh I can't answer v well. I've only been playing with tinctures/ infusions recently, and I prefer vaping. Eating doesn't seem to effect me. Never has. My tolerance is fairly high I think (average 3g per day).
if I have 2 drops every few hours i certainly feel mellow. I had 8 drops a few nights back and I slept well that night but was hungover for much of the following day.
Recently a couple of drops before bed seems to help minimise the 4am wake up call.

Eating doesn't effect you? And 8 drops gives you a hang over?

Perhaps you can clarify?

shredder,
  • Haha
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

Yeah, @Chicken No Name , edibles seem to have a lesser effect on me than they do for most people. I need to eat at least 200mg to make it worth my while.

Ramahs,
Reactions: shredder

Zipford

Ime when it is processed by my liver via eating it has little effect.
Under the tongue greater effect.
Hope this clarifies ....
How long do you keep it under your tongue? Any other hints to make this work, I've never been able to (though I've been of edibles for some time anyway).

I ask because when I used to use tincture I tried sublingual but never could get it to work -- I'd end up leaving it for a few minutes and then swallowing it, but it always work like an edible. My assumption was that my problem was that I used an oil-based tincture, and alcohol would absorb easier. But you're using oil-based too.

Zipford,

mistressofvape

I have made rosin-based tincture/oil for my son for epilepsy for several years.

After pressing the rosin, I decarb it in a small mason jar in a sous vide bath at 204*F for 90 minutes.

Then I use a heated lab plate with a magnetic stirrer to mix MCT oil into the rosin. This can take some time, patience, and silicone spatulas to help mix. You want it very thoroughly combined until you have a uniform-looking oil, all the same color (could be very light or amber, depending on your rosin color and your final concentration).

To figure out the dosage, I decide what strength of tincture I want. I make 10mg THC/ml.

This is approximate, but I figure 60-70% THC in my rosin. I have two strains I had tested and one came up 57% and one 70%. So there could be a bit of variation in strength, but not a huge one.

So for example 1g of rosin has *roughly* 0.7g THC, or 700mg. To make a ~10mg/mL tincture, I mix that 1g rosin with 70mL of MCT oil. Yes, the rosin itself has some volume, but it's not an exact science, just a way to get *close* to accurate dosing. (and it's only a few mL of volume)

Now you have a tincture where if you want a 10mg dose of THC, you take 1mL of tincture.

I store it in the fridge and it lasts at least 6 months, potency will slowly degrade over time after that.

He just takes it by mouth via syringe, doesn't try to keep it under tongue, but the MCT oil and the method of making it seems to help it come on in 20-30 minutes and last about 4-5 hours more like vaping than eating.

If anyone tries this recipe, please let me know how it works for you.

Top Bottom