Anyone know what the "novel polymer plastic" that S&B uses, actually is??

JOHN GALT

The Mighty+ constructed of a novel plastic polymer, and S&B focused on using materials that allow its devices to certify as medical devices. Although the firm is aware of third-party accessories, it believes that the present cooling chamber provides the best value to the customer.

Manufactured polymers are called thermoplastic polymers when they are one-dimensional chains that can be melted. The majority of manufactured polymers are thermoplastic, meaning they can be heated and reformed over and over again. This is the property that allows them to be recycled and reused.

Examples of synthetic thermoplastic polymers:

• PET (polyester) bottle / water bottle
  • PE (polyethylene) film / plastic bags
  • PS (polystyrene) cup / foam cup

BakedDiogenes

The Mighty+ constructed of a novel plastic polymer, and S&B focused on using materials that allow its devices to certify as medical devices. Although the firm is aware of third-party accessories, it believes that the present cooling chamber provides the best value to the customer.

PEEK

BakedDiogenes,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Vaporware

No problem.

Fyi, I think Dan uses PEEK in a part of the Nomad.

That’s the base of the heater (which doesn’t get very hot). I don’t know if he still offers wood as an alternative or not, but anyone concerned about PEEK could ask. Since it’s rated for high temps and it doesn’t get very hot in this application though, it shouldn’t be a concern. :)

Vaporware,
PEEK melts around 650F, and cannabis combustion is well short of that, but

HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS (Additives not Hazardous by 29CFR 1910.1200) Identity # CAS
Polyetheretherketone carbon fiber 29658-26-2 7440-44-0

PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL DATA Appearance: Concentration Stock shape may be in the form of rod or plate Odor: Melting Point: Essentially Odorless 334°C / 633°F Solubility in water: Insoluble Volatile Content %: < 1% Specific gravity: 1.52

FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA Autoignition Temperature: 1103°F / 595°C Unusual Fire/Explosion Hazards: None known. TVL (TWA) 5 mg/m3 Hazardous Decombustion Products: Heating above the melting point, or prolonged heating above 260 DEG C/ 500 DEG F may cause thermal depredation of polytetrafluorethylene which leads to the formation of oxidized products containing carbon, fluorine and oxygen.

Special Fire-Fighting Instructions: Fire-fighters and others exposed to products of combustion should wear full protective clothing including self-contained breathing apparatus. Firefighting equipment should be thoroughly decontaminated after use. Extinguishing Media: Water Fog, Foam, CO2, Dry Chemical

HEALTH HAZARDS DATA Acute or immediate effects: Routes of entry and systems.
Ingestion: Not a probable route of exposure.
Skin: Molten polymer causes thermal burns.
Eye: Mechanical irritation only.

Inhalation: Shapes not respirable.
Physical Health Hazards: Dust may form explosive mixtures with air. Avoid dust formation and control ignition sources. All plastic dust particles suspended in air are combustible and may be explosive. Keep away from heat, sparks, flame, and other ignition sources.

Prevent dust accumulations and dust clouds. Employ grounding, venting, and explosive relief provisions in accordance with accepted engineering practices and NFPA provisions in any process capable of generating dust and/or static electricity. Explosion hazards apply only to dusts, not granular forms of this product. See also special precautions section below.

JConorScorpio,
Reactions: Relaxed

ClusFcuk

if s&b is going to advertise their vaporizer made with PEEK, is "medically approved" why haven't they published a single "medical" research paper showing use when vaporizing herbs into the lungs using their product is SAFE?

PEEK is "medical approved" for some medical implants, I've yet to see anything suggesting it's use in a product that specifically calls for inhalation of vaporized herbs, and holding in the lungs is SAFE.

5 published studies show up searching PubMed for "Storz and Bickel"

ClusFcuk,

goldfinger

if s&b is going to advertise their vaporizer made with PEEK, is "medically approved" why haven't they published a single "medical" research paper showing use when vaporizing herbs into the lungs using their product is SAFE?

PEEK is "medical approved" for some medical implants, I've yet to see anything suggesting it's use in a product that specifically calls for inhalation of vaporized herbs, and holding in the lungs is SAFE.

5 published studies show up searching PubMed for "Storz and Bickel"

Probably why no other vape producer has done so - because there is an assumption of safety based on materials selected and conditions of use.

Honestly, the study I linked convinced me quite a bit. Check out the reddit thread, it unpacks it fairly well.

goldfinger,

checkyourlibido

If your concern is inhalation of "plastic" from any vaporizer,
it's too late
I've never understood this logic. By this logic, we're all exposed to radiation every day. . According to the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP), the average annual radiation dose per person in the U.S. is 6.2 millisieverts.

There's a ton of unoccupied land in Chernobyl, have you considered living there? If your concern is radiation, it's too late?

This example is clearly hyperbolic. But the same false reasoning could be applied to many things. There's nothing wrong with decreasing the odds. For example with radiation we often use time, distance, and shielding to decrease the risk. I see no reason to discourage someone from trying to decrease risk.

But I also see no reason for me to try to convince you to use less plastic. I'm just saying, we all make our own choices. We're all screwed, but I'm not trying to discourage someone for trying to make the best of it. And I'm not trying to encourage you to be overly cautious, you do you.

I hope this didn't come across as argumentative, I'm horrible with online conversations.

Top Bottom