Anyone heard of the Vape Pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
I just heard about this and am wondering if anyone knows anything about it. A quick look made me think it holds promise, but I need to look further into it.
http://www.vape-pen.com/how-it-works/
I did a few searches and found nothing about it here on this site. (Forgive me if there is something here and I just failed to find it. The search engine here doesn't seem to work well for me.)

UPDATE:
I just wanted to note here that this looks "fishy" seeing me ask this question and then seeing my signature for Vape-Pen at the bottom of my question. When I first asked this question I had only just heard about the vape pen. I then happened to hear more about it, inquired about it, and ended up meeting the CEO /designer and we became friends. So I added the signature quite a bit later after I posted this thread but when you change your signature it also adds it to all your old threads.

After I got my Vape-Pen and liquid med to go with it, I posted this review of it:
http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1622

MoeOnTheMoon,

VapoFish

Moe - wow! Cool. Outstanding. It's like a vape Dugout.

Yes.

If it works I'm in.

:D

VapoFish,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Yeah, it LOOKS really cool. But apparently right now they are only selling them to medical marijuana patients. I am going to try to get a demo on one very soon and will report here if I do.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Okay, I got an email from someone at vape pen. Unfortunately it is not exactly vaporizing as we know it, but it might be a wave of the future...
Here's what he told me: (and why it will be sold only via legal dispensaries at this time):

"One point I would like to clarify is that the Vape-pen is not a vaporizer in the traditional sense. Technically, it is an 'atomizer'. The temperatures used are below the vapor temperature of THC and the medicine is carried into the lungs in a mist of water vapor. This makes it even healthier than vaporizing. It does produce a vapor so, to avoid confusion in the marketplace, the term 'vaporizer' is commonly used.

The reason this works is that the people at vape meds use an extract containing the essential oils of cannabis in a process using excipients to suspend them in water. The 'liquid herb' extracts contain only natural ingredients and are extracted from organically grown cannabis.

So you see the distribution involves not only the vape-pen (which uses a different temperature from a conventional e-cigarette) and the vape-meds. "

Shoot. Sounded like a real contender. But maybe at least for legal medical marijuana users, it might be a good thing. Depends on how competitive their meds are priced, I would think.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Frickr

so being as this atomizes an extract, would there be any of the taste? or would it be nearly oder free? and would all the activecompunds of cannabis be in this magic liquid?

Frickr,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
These are questions I don't know, but I will be talking to the distributor next week and will report back in case anyone here is in L.A. area, has a Medical Marijuana recommendation letter from a doctor and is interested in trying it if and when they get distribution. Oh, they might have distribution in other cities as well, I'm not sure what the status is. I'll find out.

It sounds like a great way to portably medicate though, and I have questions like:
Is the effect more like eating it or more like vaping it?
Does it have the full range of cannabinoids, THC etc.?
How is the extract made?
How is the "atomizer" made?
etc...
If you have any specific questions post them here and I'll try to ask them.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Qbit

cannabanana
Maybe I should write to them saying, "Yeah yeah all this medical shit is very cute, but what I wanna know is will it get me fukin ripped?" :ko:

Qbit,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
looks like another type of E-Cigarette too me... uses a liquid mixture, one that has been talked about in depth here on FC.

DevoTheStrange,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
DevoTheStrange said:
looks like another type of E-Cigarette too me... uses a liquid mixture, one that has been talked about in depth here on FC.
If you look at the web site, it talks about how it's much more complex than an e-cigarette.
Where can I find the threads here on the liquid mixture? Do you mean the one on oils?
I'll look for it but just in case I don't find it, do you remember what forum that one is in?

MoeOnTheMoon,

Purple-Days

Two points of interest to me.

A) Since THC is insoluble in water I would want to know what the 'excipients' are.

B) They state, "This makes it even healthier than vaporizing." Uhhh, as a reputable company, maybe they could show us the study that backs that up. Not saying it isn't true, but that is a rather bold statement, that if justified, should be footnoted with the science behind it. Otherwise...

Purple-Days,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Tom, I will ask that when I see the guy on Tuesday. I have many questions - probably more than he will want to answer! But I'll give it a shot, and report back here as to the answers I get - if any.

Your concern about excipients is valid. It reminds me of what I just heard over the weekend: that the L.A. City Attorney supposedly shut down some dispensaries for selling medical marijuana with a type of pesticide that was not used here in the Los Angeles area, therefore they were illegal because the mj is supposed to be locally grown for the co-op/dispensary. (Probably from Mexico, and if he's going up against the Mexican Mafia on this move, Id be VERY wary if I was him! Yikes! ) Anyway, apparently this stuff had a high level of some outlawed form of pesticide. And it made me realize that from now on I'm going to try to get organically grown medicine (i.e.; no pesticides). I don't suppose there is a Certification system for it yet, but I can at least ask and hope to get honest answers as to whether or not it's organic.

But yeah, if you're going to take a medicine in something like the Vapor Pen, (I don't like the name, since it is NOT a vaporizer, it's an atomizer!), you should be able to know exactly what's in it.

I also wonder if eventually this stuff (and medical marijuana in general) isn't going to come under the gun of the FDA and BIG PHARM. THEN we'll really be screwed! It'll be very expensive so that you'll have to break the bank to afford it, then if anyone grows their own they'll be breaking FDA rules and that will lead to the same type of heavy penalties that pot used to have! That might be a "bad side effect" of legalization... But let's hope we go forward, and not backward!

MoeOnTheMoon,

Vaporaper

MoeOnTheMoon said:
I also wonder if eventually this stuff (and medical marijuana in general) isn't going to come under the gun of the FDA and BIG PHARM. THEN we'll really be screwed! It'll be very expensive so that you'll have to break the bank to afford it, then if anyone grows their own they'll be breaking FDA rules and that will lead to the same type of heavy penalties that pot used to have! That might be a "bad side effect" of legalization... But let's hope we go forward, and not backward!
You had me intrigued up until the how screwed we might be part, and yes unfortunately as medical dispensaries and eventually legalization become more widespread you should expect to see scrutiny in all forms and esp in any where the blame falls on the 'pothead' and/or having to do with long term health concerns. It's a surefire magnet for douchebaggery just due to how misinformed a lot of people are as well as how quickly this side of the world is to dismiss an issue they don't find truly (or personally) important. Plus to be honest if we do start seeing problems with unknown chemicals in our greenery I don't see why they would do anything different from what happened back in the 90's with arsenic poisoned Tylenol, except maybe the guilty party might get more charges for growing to begin with. Expect to see testing kits made esp for cannabis + I'm fairly certain they have food test kits currently that may do the job. Gotta love the Google, http://www.agnet.org/library/pt/2002018/

Vaporaper,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
GotVape? said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
You had me intrigued up until the how screwed we might be part, and yes unfortunately as medical dispensaries and eventually legalization become more widespread you should expect to see scrutiny in all forms and esp in any where the blame falls on the 'pothead' and/or having to do with long term health concerns. It's a surefire magnet for douchebaggery just due to how misinformed a lot of people are as well as how quickly this side of the world is to dismiss an issue they don't find truly (or personally) important. Plus to be honest if we do start seeing problems with unknown chemicals in our greenery I don't see why they would do anything different from what happened back in the 90's with arsenic poisoned Tylenol, except maybe the guilty party might get more charges for growing to begin with. Expect to see testing kits made esp for cannabis + I'm fairly certain they have food test kits currently that may do the job. Gotta love the Google, http://www.agnet.org/library/pt/2002018/
One reason why - if the powers that be just let marijuana growers and sellers be - legalization would be good (actually there are DOZENS of GREAT reasons) - is that it could be regulated and tested for quality and pesticides.

Here in L.A. the City Attorney recently shut down one dispensary for selling herb from a foreign country that used pesticides that are illegal here due to their extreme toxicity. Of course I'm sure every day there are fruits and veges from Mexico and elsewhere sold here that are just as bad... and the City Attorney could care less...

But the point is, yes, checking herb for pesticides could be a good thing about legalization.

As it is, I try to buy from dispensaries that carry Organic weed. Of course I don't know for a FACT they are organic as I don't think there is any certification system set up, but some growers I know are trying to get standards set up. One thing I found out about the Vape-Pen is that the liquid meds are made from organic herb and Vape-Pen, Inc. is involved in trying to maintain health standards and so forth for the medical marijuana industry.

I try to buy as much organic food as possible but sometimes can't afford to buy everything organic (i.e.; grown without any pesticides). But with marijuana I really do try to buy only organic because heating pesticides and taking them into one's lungs... well, that just can't be good, can it?

MoeOnTheMoon,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom