Anyone following the demonstrations against the XL Pipeline?

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Democracy Now's been following the story of the XL Pipeline, and perhaps I've only been getting one side, being it's a Leftist show, but:

If Obama's administration was spanked before, what's the difference between what they'd been doing, and what they're doing now?

"Eminant Domain Abuses" according to Darryl Hannah:
Residents being forced off their land under pretense of Eminant Domain, when actually no proof was ever required or provided for the corporation's "common carrier" claims - meaning it's a for-profit venture, and not in the public interest.

Further, that it's been touted as a means to make the US more energy efficient, but looks like an export pipeline...aside from the fact that it looks more like just one step towards completion of the Tar-Sands pipeline.

What I find most disturbing is the claim that IF the United States allows or is complicit in Canada's dredging up all their oil-sands that it will create a carbon foot-print the Earth's eco-system just cannot bear (that our planet doesn't have the carbon budget to pay for all that smog created by the processing and eventual burning of their oil).

Does any country or corporation have the right to sell what they have to sell if it creates a tipping point for our planet's eco-system?

On a smaller scale, look at the damage to the rain forests in Ecuador caused by the oil drilling by Chevron, and the indiginous people there who die every year just from trying to swim in a swimming hole, and the way that corporation has flouted their responsibilities and the law...just to externalize their costs of doing business, to avoid paying for damages they have wrought through legal trickery and down-right avoidance (they fought to keep the case out of the US, believing they could manipulate the Ecuadoran courts, keep the ball in the air for twenty years, then got slapped with an eight billion dollar penalty which has ballooned to twenty billion with penalties, and now they want it completely re-tried in the United States, saying it wasn't fair).

I'd like to believe that if they'd damaged our back-yards like that we'd have put a stop to it, but can we expect any different from oil operations we allow here in the US? The Koch brothers open troughs they feed polution into around their plants are killing people who live near-by, and they've been pretty successfull in getting us, normal citizens, to lobby congress against making them stop by weakening the EPA and regulations...so, no, I don't expect any different here.

Corporations want to continue doing whatever the hell they want, and are willing to mis-lead our nation with big money (Fox News) to do it.

I applaud those brave souls who are sitting up on poles and putting their bodies on the line to make us more aware of what's going on...maybe some of us will write the president and tell him we see it, and we reject it...this planned path to oblivion they're charting for us (to paraphrase a line from Dennis Kucinich).

VWFringe,
Top Bottom