Alcohol versus oil extraction for edibles?

Maryland Vapor

IMO the only benefit a long soak will give you over a "freezer method" in one day, is a waste of time and you will make the tincture taste worse the longer you keep the ethanol and cannabis together.
That makes perfect sense. But since my poke still had oil in it, no alcohol extraction here.

I took my 30 grams of starting material, which now ended up as about 107 grams after water washing / curing AND attempting to dry it in the oven, and added 1 cup of coconut oil. Left it in the slow cooker for about 10 hours yesterday, then into the fridge after cooling down a bit.

Before cooling, the oil was a dark brown, but being in the fridge overnight, it is now a darker green than the original butter made from the same material. Like lime green vs moss green difference.

I just took about a teaspoon of the new oil. For science...

I will update later.

Maryland Vapor,

daoist

I just use oil. it is very easy. I put the grinded weed in a tea glass (i.e. 0.20 gram) i mix it with enough oil to barely cover the weed/
I just warm up the tea glass au-bain marie (double boil with 2 pans). i do this for about 1 hour and i drink the oil. with hash it just melts, and you are done in 15 minutes.. you could use the same method with tea-egg. and a glass of (chocolate)milk. I am not fucking with alcohol on my stove because it ignites.

Last edited:
daoist,

Maryland Vapor

Update from my last report. About half tsp of my oil from the second extraction has been a great base for my day. I'd hazard a guess that it's stronger than the butter. It makes me feel like I did something wrong the first time around.

Meant to show my 2nd run coconut oil(on left), vs 1st run butter. Same 30g of trim used for both. I hadn't strained the oil yet, but had cooled the oil, in this pic.

KIMG0707.jpg

Last edited:
Maryland Vapor,
Reactions: macbill

WalkOfLight

Is there any residual leftovers from using alcohol? For example - Since its a carcinogen, if I evaporate It on a good flour, sugar, or salt. Is there anything leftover after the process is complete?

WalkOfLight,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Is there any residual leftovers from using alcohol? For example - Since its a carcinogen, if I evaporate It on a good flour, sugar, or salt. Is there anything leftover after the process is complete?
Hopefully thc is leftover. And don't stop with dry infusions, you can infuse syrups, and honey as well.

The only way to be sure of any contaminates is to have your stuff lab tested. For most though it's just being careful and doing your research.

WalkOfLight

Hopefully thc is leftover. And don't stop with dry infusions, you can infuse syrups, and honey as well.

The only way to be sure of any contaminates is to have your stuff lab tested. For most though it's just being careful and doing your research.
heh, I hope so too. I just mean Ill switch methods If I've quit smoking and drinking just to get the downside this way too. Yes, Im looking forward to having a full kitchen!
So far I've made it to magic oil concentrate and hard candies this eve.
How do I post pictures?
Speaking of which, I used a little everclear to clean out the pan after i made the MGB oil, and i threw it in the mix post haste...
Idk if thats a good thing or if its supposed to be completely evaporated?
Im going to make gummies tomorrow i think...
Not sure what to do with the rest of the "oil"
Yep, not too worried about contaminants from the plant or method. Just the booze...
Whatever I have done here I am too damn baked right now... goodnight lol? :mmmm:

Last edited:
WalkOfLight,
I've read that you can "dry" alcohol by adding salt.
Both salt and alcohol are soluble in water. Salt is not
soluble in alcohol, There is a greater "affinity" between
water and salt than water and alcohol.
If you mix salt with the alcohol and let it set, the salty water will
go to the bottom and you can syphon the water off the bottom or
you can siphon/pour the alcohol off the top.

You can also freeze the low concentration alcohol to cause
ice crystals to precipitate out of the solution.

For almost pure you can use molecular sieves:

I've read that you can "dry" alcohol by adding salt.
Both salt and alcohol are soluble in water. Salt is not
soluble in alcohol, There is a greater "affinity" between
water and salt than water and alcohol.
If you mix salt with the alcohol and let it set, the salty water will
go to the bottom and you can syphon the water off the bottom or
you can siphon/pour the alcohol off the top.

You can also freeze the low concentration alcohol to cause
ice crystals to precipitate out of the solution.

For almost pure you can use molecular sieves:

Well, the fractional freezing thing didn't work for me . . .

old-dog-new-tricks,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Sorry for back to back post... I cannot edit (Why?) - please merge if you like - I should add to the previous comment: That video with the molecular sieve is what I call "bro science"...

The alcohol will absorb water from the atmosphere via the azeotrope bonding process as soon as you remove it from the molecular sieve or dessicant.. and working with denatured alcohol and distilling it is ghetto and really not the way to go. Just get proper drinkable ethanol and don't worry about the water content! Distilling alcohol without (or even with) a fume hood has sent quite a few folks to hospital and/or prison.

The best quality edible is obtained via rosin pressing, no solvents!

Haze Mister,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

“Is 200 Proof Ethanol Possible?

No. You'll find several companies selling 200-proof alcohol. But these products contain a range of 95-99.5% alcohol.

This phenomenon occurs because alcohol and water form an azeotrope mixture during the distillation process. Hence, that reaction restricts fluid removal to get to 100% alcohol.

Absolute alcohol is also highly hygroscopic, which makes its acquisition challenging. That characteristic means that 200-proof ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere and dilutes. So, store your product in a tightly closed container and use a drying agent.

I bought the 190 Ethanol from:

$45.00/Gallon, add $25.00 for FedEx hazmat shipping.

Top Bottom