AirVape legacy

Homer

I want to chime in as the owner of 7 different vapes including IQ and FF. I’ve been using the Legacy for about a month, almost every night. (I’m not a heavy user, a puff or two during the day, not every day though, and a bowl each night before bed.) While the Legacy ain’t perfect, of all my vapes it is the easiest and most satisfying to use. Sure, a couple of others are in the rotation but the Legacy is the one I reach for most often. Since getting the gold screen insert I’ve had no trouble with charring. The air leakage is a non-issue for me. Yes, you can press on the top and get a better seal, and I do that occasionally. But it’s more like pressing your headphones to your ears to make the sound better. It’s fine to do that if you want but not essential. As I’ve said before, Firefly still offers the best tasting vapor IMO, and while I still enjoy the IQ and Airvape X, the Legacy’s vapor quality is a notch better than those. My only other mod is a thin screen over the diffuser disk to keep the flakes from clogging. Over the past month I’ve charged it maybe three times. How many vapes can you say that about?

Breaking Bud

I'm looking forward to receiving my replacement Legacy. I expect the charring issue to be fixed and the dosing basket to work. I'll probably be buying an IQ2 which seems to be a bit better than the IQ so it'll be an interesting comparison with the Legacy.

Breaking Bud,
Reactions: slozukimc

slozukimc

I'm looking forward to receiving my replacement Legacy. I expect the charring issue to be fixed and the dosing basket to work. I'll probably be buying an IQ2 which seems to be a bit better than the IQ so it'll be an interesting comparison with the Legacy.
From my limited experience the chamber component aka gold screen works very well. I don’t experience charring and am getting a nice and even roast. The new micro dosing basket works perfectly. (Make sure you remove the chamber component before using the basket). I get one really big hit and a little followup on 400F.
So far this vape is actually impressing me.

slozukimc,
Reactions: cosimo

Kimosabe

Educator/Cannabis Evangelist
you dropping those down the air intake? Don't you think they'll clog up the black silicone piece? The one that holds in the glass airpath?
Well, i placed a small tuft of SS loose c-pad on each end with like 15 beads in between. It definitely does the job.
I've been using the concentrate pad and distillate, it has been fine. The reducer bowl I find best without the bottom plate.
In summary, here are my thoughts on best configurations>
1. Loose flower: new gold plate of course S&B screen at bottom of chamber prevents scorching when you draw too fast
2. Microdosing does not need the bottom heat diffusing appliance, the new 'basket' fits well
3. Remove the bottom appliance plate or screen for concentrate pad + conc. +/- flower top-off.

Crazy proven idea: I placed the gold bottom screen (plate) tabs facing top lid over the vapor diffuser disc! I bent the three prongs inward to hold it in place. This surface does not collect resin. one fast wipe with an iso- swab every 6 bowls, no longer cleaning continuously. The definitely used the wrong material on that diffuser disc. Maybe they need to Teflon coat it like a non-stick frying pan.

Holding the lid down: I have found a 1.5" ID O-ring does the trick. Acting like a rubber band slip over the intake end holds airtight.
I also removed my tiny "D" gold screen because it was clogging instantly. the modified airpath tube is described in the first line of this post.

:myday:

Breaking Bud

Great to hear. Thanks. Glad you're enjoying it.
Received my replacement unit. Overall, it's much better. The screen insert is mostly effective but I'm finding that char is still likely with a too heavy draw. Easy to avoid doing though. Flavor is good and I'm not noticing a leak so far. Assuming all stays in a good place, my final assessment is that it's a good but not great device. Pros are it's solid build, amazing battery and flavorful vapor. Cons are it's heavy weight, messy loading if you're not careful and the need to consistently clean the unit. It's also still a little too easy to char your herbs . In addition, several people have also mentioned air leaks.There are various tips such as using the gold attachment screen to protect the disk that Kimosabe suggests (great idea) and a few others. I just think there are a few too many quirks for my liking.

slozukimc

The gold screen on the lid does work well. Luckily I had a spare.
The best tip I could give anyone for the Legacy is to get a Chewy2 grinder to go with it. It makes filling a breeze with no mess and if you just let the herb drop into the bowl until full with no packing, so it is super loose, the hits are great and the bowl roasts very evenly without a stir.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!!!

floribud

I also put the gold screen on the lid. It seems to work fine, unless you want to use the microdosing basket, then, at least in mine. The lid doesn't close well.

Also I finally just removed the "D" screen, (the tiny screen by the airpath intake), didn't bother to put anything (c-pad or beads) in the airpath, I just left the whole thing open. It works fine. There's another screen in the mouthpiece that catches anything that flies through the airhole. I've been using a coarse grind, so there's not a lot of tiny particles in my herb. After about a week of use, there were only 3 tiny herb pieces on my mouthpiece screen and the glass airpath was perfectly clean. So as of now, I can't see any reason to use the "D" screen or anything else in the air intake hole.

slozukimc

I also put the gold screen on the lid. It seems to work fine, unless you want to use the microdosing basket, then, at least in mine. The lid doesn't close well.

Also I finally just removed the "D" screen, (the tiny screen by the airpath intake), didn't bother to put anything (c-pad or beads) in the airpath, I just left the whole thing open. It works fine. There's another screen in the mouthpiece that catches anything that flies through the airhole. I've been using a coarse grind, so there's not a lot of tiny particles in my herb. After about a week of use, there were only 3 tiny herb pieces on my mouthpiece screen and the glass airpath was perfectly clean. So as of now, I can't see any reason to use the "D" screen or anything else in the air intake hole.
I will be taking mine out next time I clean it. Thanks for the tip.

slozukimc,

Kimosabe

floribud: I forgot all about the mouthpiece screen! How idiotic of me. Still, those expensive little beads do seem to take some of the bite our of the heavier hits. I have been using the C-Pad, some concentrate atop, then a pinch of snuff and yes, as with the MV1 - it is finicky but the vapor quality and flavor can be amazing. Some chase clouds, other terps. I am one of the latter. But when I don't want to fuss, I'll pick up my gluegun... er I mean S&B Plenty, to which I attached a 14mm WPA adapter and use the Airvape bubbler. At this moment in time.

Kimosabe,

floribud

floribud: I forgot all about the mouthpiece screen! How idiotic of me. Still, those expensive little beads do seem to take some of the bite our of the heavier hits.
I didn't really think about the beads for additional cooling. I use beads in my XL8R stem with my Splinter, and that totally changes the experience, cools it down, way less harsh. I haven't had a harshness problem with Legacy, but my wife does. I guess I could try some beads for her sake. Did you say you cut a tiny piece of an S&B C-pad as "stoppers" on either end of the bead?

floribud,

Kimosabe

I think that is what it was. It was the least dense of the C-Pads in my collection. This area does not need heat resistance, so I suppose any really porous material could work. After trying cotton from Q-tip swab, I conclude that is not the answer.

Kimosabe,
Reactions: floribud

mulciber

I wonder if everyone else knows this and I'm just slow... The "chamber component" comes with a convex and concave side. The upper illustration on this page https://tinyurl.com/y7dg4r7e shows it being inserted "tabs up", which would be with the concave side facing upward as well. IOW, resembling the shape of the bottom of the chamber. But the lower illustration clearly shows that this is supposed to work in just the opposite way, with the convex side facing up. It stands to reason that the highest point should be furthest from the direct column of heat. And as the illustration suggests, the increased air space should give better circulation. I haven't tried it yet, but it MUST be meant to be used this way, the other way doesn't really make sense. I'm embarrassed that I'm just discovering this now. But Airvape should really have indicated this coherently.

mulciber,

floribud

Well it does work well with the concave site facing up. And both illustrations seem to show tabs up.

But the more disturbing thing is they show the microdosing basket working WITH the chamber component. That just doesn't work! You have to set it over 400º just to get any amount of vapor at all. The microdosing basket should definitely be used without the chamber component. It works well that way.

floribud,

mulciber

Well it does work well with the concave site facing up. And both illustrations seem to show tabs up.

But the more disturbing thing is they show the microdosing basket working WITH the chamber component. That just doesn't work! You have to set it over 400º just to get any amount of vapor at all. The microdosing basket should definitely be used without the chamber component. It works well that way.

You're right about the picture with the basket, that's just wrong. But the lower image that I meant was the animated one, which shows the "chamber component" convex side up. It clearly works both ways, but I'm seeing that it works much better "tabs down". Airvape really blew this in terms of their messaging.

mulciber,

floribud

the animated one, which shows the "chamber component" convex side up.
but that image also shows a tab up too, right in the center of the image. So perhaps the artist was simply not aware of how it bends?

floribud,

lauri melissa

Happy Fairy
Season’s Greetings FCer’s!! I just wanted to follow up on my Legacy. I still like it, but I do see the need for improvements. Namely, the air leak and resin build up on the diffuser on the lid. It is a high maintenance vape. But, the power is amazing and when you handle it just so..........it kicks butt!! It is a pain the neck to wrap a band around the unit to deter the air leak and it still burns on occasion. I realize that we are at the beginning with this vape and hopefully, Airvapeusa will listen and improve for the next version! And, they will be good people and send all those who took a chance on this experiment a complete fix for our trouble. This is my wish!!❤️

mulciber

Season’s Greetings FCer’s!! ... And, they will be good people and send all those who took a chance on this experiment a complete fix for our trouble. This is my wish!!❤️

They do have a policy of offering updated models to existing users at half price, which is probably their "break-even". Not as good as a free fix, but not every company offers that.

mulciber,

floribud

Season’s Greetings FCer’s!! I just wanted to follow up on my Legacy. I still like it, but I do see the need for improvements. Namely, the air leak and resin build up on the diffuser on the lid. It is a high maintenance vape. But, the power is amazing and when you handle it just so..........it kicks butt!! It is a pain the neck to wrap a band around the unit to deter the air leak and it still burns on occasion. I realize that we are at the beginning with this vape and hopefully, Airvapeusa will listen and improve for the next version! And, they will be good people and send all those who took a chance on this experiment a complete fix for our trouble. This is my wish!!❤️
take a video showing the airleak if you can. AirVape hooked me up with Legacy with a much better fitting lid. Also then I just removed the tiny D-screen. That helps and I havent' have any problems with herb in the air path. Also did you get the new screen component for the heating chamber? I haven't had any compustion with the component in there. I use the component for session mode and go commando for on-demand.

mulciber

Anyone else having trouble getting vapor out of this thing? I've had it for a few months now & it's hit or miss for me. When I do get one man it's good.
I have to say that this sounds strange. Could you be more specific? I mean, there are Legacy fans here (like myself) who think it's one of the best devices of its kind ever. That's kind of the opposite of "it doesn't work". I think there's more to this story, no?

mulciber,

ive_ana

I have to say that this sounds strange. Could you be more specific? I mean, there are Legacy fans here (like myself) who think it's one of the best devices of its kind ever. That's kind of the opposite of "it doesn't work". I think there's more to this story, no?
I've read here that you need to hit it a certain way. I guess I haven't figured that out yet.

ive_ana,

Breaking Bud

I just find the device to be quirky and inconsistent. It's not that I can't get a hit from it. It's just that I have to constantly tweak it to do so. Your comment motivated me to tweak it again, Mulciber. I cleaned the diffuser disk and the gold screen I place on top of that and tightened the disk (note that I had already removed the small screen after a prior suggestion). I then filled the chamber a bit more than 3/4 and set the temp to 365 degrees. I was able to generate representative clouds and nice tasting vapor with a firm, even draw. Pleased and buzzed for now :ko:. Thanks.

Top Bottom