Advise me on my next possible desktop. Crushing on the VB1.5!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Hello my fellow FC denizens!

I'm very new to desktops and pulled the trigger on a Couchlog last year which I use daily and I'm very happy with. As we all know though, VAS is a beast you can beat down but never fully defeat 😛.

Enter: the Vapor Brothers VB1.5 baller upgrade - VB1.5 link

I had read/heard about this guy but after some more research it's looking better than ever. I love the whip-as-a-bowl glass attachments, the wood, the simplicity and the overall quality. I would opt for the zirconia beads. Yes it seems pricy but the quality looks great, it's made in the US and this company has a long storied history.

The reasons I like this vape are:
  • Quality materials
  • Whip style
  • powerful and tasty
  • could possibly last for decades
Would love some advice though, especially from those who own one. One thing I'm looking for is the potential for sharing with a large group. The Couchlog can be overpowered by too many consecutive hits but can this guy? It looks like a flavor beast.

Open to alternatives also but I prefer plug-n-play, no brainer setups without exposed coils and separate PIDs for the moment although I'm aware of the ZX, Zeal and Omega types out there. I just really like this format.

I welcome any advice!

Last edited:
TigoleBitties,
Reactions: bestvaping

Cannabiker

That was one of the choices when I picked up my first vape in about 2007--I ended up getting a Silver Surfer instead. That was my main vape for about 10 years. It's been sitting idle for a few years, but it's still going strong. I'd probably still be using it except that it's the original version which can't be ball-modded.

The main reason I chose it over the VB was the bowl orientation--the SSV angles up; the FB angles down. As I understand gravity, it's best to keep your bowl right side up. Admittedly, I have used an FB, and it does seem to defy gravity. Suction helps, I'm sure.

The other reason I picked the SSV was durability. I'm not sure the wood box of the FB would still be in great shape after all the changes in temperature and humidity (including a move from dry Utah to wet Oregon--a description that works on more than one level) the SSV has experienced.

The SSV also has more heady options for the glass bits, if that's your thing.

I wish I could add balls to my SSV, because all it lacks is power. It's really close already--it can combust a bowl, it just takes a while to get there. Balls would fix that. Otherwise, I really like the form.

coolbreeze

Hello my fellow FC denizens!

I'm very new to desktops and pulled the trigger on a Couchlog last year which I use daily and I'm very happy with. As we all know though, VAS is a beast you can beat down but never fully defeat 😛.

Enter: the Vapor Brothers VB1.5 baller upgrade - VB1.5 link

I had read/heard about this guy but after some more research it's looking better than ever. I love the whip-as-a-bowl glass attachments, the wood, the simplicity and the overall quality. I would opt for the zirconia beads. Yes it seems pricy but the quality looks great, it's made in the US and this company has a long storied history.

The reason I like this vape are:
  • Quality materials
  • Whip style
  • powerful and tasty
  • could possibly last for decades
Would love some advice though, especially from those who own one. One thing I'm looking for is the potential for sharing with a large group. The Couchlog can be overpowered by too many consecutive hits but can this guy? It looks like a flavor beast.

Open to alternatives also but I prefer plug-n-play, no brainer setups without exposed coils and separate PIDs for the moment although I'm aware of the ZX, Zeal and Omega types out there. I just really like this format.

I welcome any advice!
Look at the Baller Da Buddha, it's similar, cheaper, more powerful, more solid, hits like 3 trains and a truckload of motor blocks. I've used it for years and with a light tamp, the angle is never an issue.

I wish I could add balls to my SSV, because all it lacks is power. It's really close already--it can combust a bowl, it just takes a while to get there. Balls would fix that. Otherwise, I really like the form.
I'd recommend getting the baller setup, it not only adds power, but you can turn way down and get big cool flavorful clouds. It's really a pleasure.

Edit: I liked it so much I enhanced it a little:
IMG-6844.jpg

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
The SSV also has more heady options for the glass bits, if that's your thing.

Yes, the SSV was on my list. I just thought the VB1.5 seemed nicer? Is there an updated model that competes?

Look at the Baller Da Buddha, it's similar, cheaper, more powerful, more solid, hits like 3 trains and a truckload of motor blocks. I've used it for years and with a light tamp, the angle is never an issue.

I'd recommend getting the baller setup, it not only adds power, but you can turn way down and get big cool flavorful clouds. It's really a pleasure.
Ah, yes I remember you mentioning this guy in another thread. It's great that you seem to have used both this and the VB1.5 to compare. I will scope this guy out, thanks! Any links/deals welcome 🙂

Edit: I liked it so much I enhanced it a little:
Forgive my ignorance but what's changed? Is the baller setup available already modded or is this something I have to buy separately and do myself? Still investigating...

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: simba

coolbreeze

Yes, the SSV was on my list. I just thought the VB1.5 seemed nicer? Is there an updated model that competes?

Ah, yes I remember you mentioning this guy in another thread. It's great that you seem to have used both this and the VB1.5 to compare. I will scope this guy out, thanks! Any links/deals welcome 🙂
I have not used the VB, only reporting what I've read.
Cosmetic seconds are currently $160, heater cover & balls are another $90:

coolbreeze

Forgive my ignorance but what's changed? Is the baller setup available already modded or is this something I have to buy separately and do myself? Still investigating...
I'm not sure if you can get them pre-set up yet, probably not with the seconds, but the kit's easy to install.

Edit: @TigoleBitties , I just noticed you can get the factory second with a baller cover for $40 extra, but you may have to buy the balls seperately, as well. I'd ask. That's a sweet deal!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
How "exposed" is exposed...? Honestly, and not to sound insulting, it would be hard for me to recommend using old tech, particularly if money is no object. So with that, I recommend the forward thinking Old Head Terp Ready system. All that's required is a piece that accepts either a 14 or 18mm male connection.

coolbreeze

How "exposed" is exposed...? Honestly, and not to sound insulting, it would be hard for me to recommend using old tech, particularly if money is no object. So with that, I recommend the forward thinking Old Head Terp Ready system. All that's required is a piece that accepts either a 14 or 18mm male connection.
Fwiw, the baller DBV easily keeps up with my ballers coiled or wireless; old tech's not necessarily outdated tech. Only real qualm with it really is the whip, but if you don't mind that it'll keep up with or surpass most other vapes.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Fwiw, the baller DBV easily keeps up with my ballers coiled or wireless; old tech's not necessarily outdated tech. Only real qualm with it really is the whip, but if you don't mind that it'll keep up with or surpass most other vapes.
Ok, what's your issue with the whip? Inquiring minds want to know 😉

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Ok, what's your issue with the whip? Inquiring minds want to know 😉
I have no issue with the whip, but it is the common complaint: some people just don't like them because they retain flavors and are sort of a pain to clean. I don't bother; I use it for awhile and replace it. To be honest, I don't get the complaints, to me it's just like using a dirty dropdown or ashcarcther: there can be a little reclaim flavor but it's no worse on vinyl than it is on glass.

Edit: @TigoleBitties , you can also get a direct-hit glass wand. I just got one and it's wonderful.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Cool.... and is precisely why I chose "old" instead of "outdated" :tup:

Incidentally, I came very close to purchasing a Da Buddah as my second official real vape, after my MFLB, jeez, it's gotta be about 15 years ago....? kinda wish I had, honestly ✌️

bestvaping

I see that you are looking for vaporizers with a ceramic heating element? VB and SSV are quite similar, both using an alumina heating (Al2O3) and both use a whip system. VB owns the patent for the whip system, they are the pioneers. The whip is very ingenious and ideal for sharing vaporizers with friends (even better if everyone has their own whip). It seems to me that the two units have fairly similar power ratings (around thirty watts in normal use). These types of vaporizers hit very hard as standard (I haven't tried the baller mode yet). To tell the truth, this is the type of vaporizer that my friends who still smoke prefer (perhaps because it's similar to smoking a good shisha, it's perfect for a group ;)). The VB was on my list too and I'm thinking of buying it one of these days. However, I wouldn't recommend the SSSV (unless you like toxic vapors :wave:), which has a non-insulated air path. If you want 7thFloor, get a DBV or a classic SSV. I agree with the previous comments, these vaporizers work like a charm, so you couldn't go wrong and an ideal companion for your CL :brow:

Edit: I'd also add that both brands have a hands-free kit system but I find the on-demand mode more practical (7thFloor seems to have more accessory options available).

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I see that you are looking for vaporizers with a ceramic heating element? VB and SSV are quite similar, both using an alumina heating (Al2O3) and both use a whip system. VB owns the patent for the whip system, they are the pioneers. The whip is very ingenious and ideal for sharing vaporizers with friends (even better if everyone has their own whip). It seems to me that the two units have fairly similar power ratings (around thirty watts in normal use). These types of vaporizers hit very hard as standard (I haven't tried the baller mode yet). To tell the truth, this is the type of vaporizer that my friends who still smoke prefer (perhaps because it's similar to smoking a good shisha, it's perfect for a group ;)). The VB was on my list too and I'm thinking of buying it one of these days. However, I wouldn't recommend the SSSV (unless you like toxic vapors :wave:), which has a non-insulated air path. If you want 7thFloor, get a DBV or a classic SSV. I agree with the previous comments, these vaporizers work like a charm, so you couldn't go wrong and an ideal companion for your CL :brow:

Edit: I'd also add that both brands have a hands-free kit system but I find the on-demand mode more practical (7thFloor seems to have more accessory options available).
Hey, thanks for all this great info! Appreciate it. I really see one of these vapes in my future and the DBV with the baller upgrade is looking like the frontrunner for now.

I want that "Big Brother" to the Couchlog. A heat-battery beast that can go all day while I share bowls with friends. Another perk of such a large heat reservoir seems to be the ability to do extended low-temp vaping sessions.

Still looking for a place up in Canada that has all this gear. The unit itself seems to be out-of-stock at the Canadian retailers I know and still haven't found the baller upgrade north of the border yet.
Edit: Found the unit in Canada but no baller upgrade yet.

I agree @coolbreeze, it's not clear to me whether the $40 baller upgrade for factory seconds on Elev8's site includes the balls or not...

Last edited:
TigoleBitties,

bestvaping

Another interesting point to note is the different heater cover glass connection available.

It seems to me that only the SSV/SSSV has all three types of connection, To tell the truth, personally I'd prefer the SSV option to the DBV, but it's up to you. They must be purchased separately, as only one of these options is included in the kit (for SSVs, it's the default spherical connection, I believe).

With my SSSV, I loved the Spherical Glass Heater Cover, but it's less practical to use as a hands-free kit (I'd say it's perfect for on-demand):

I don't know if the balls are included in the kit, I haven't tried the upgrade yet, the best thing would be to ask them directly.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
And the one thing to remember about the Old Head Terp-Ready system, or just the controller tower/heater, is that it's really only a standard 25mm coil and fits whatever you can stuff in a 25mm banger bucket area..... you can use their hammer, or not, for flower, their "labware" (:rolleyes:), or not, for dabs. The possibilities going forward are basically limitless and you're only locked into STANDARD connections, not the company or a very specific "community".

But anyways, I never like to push anything.... and have no doubt you'll be happy with whatever you decide, especially being guided by the other fine folks here.....:tup::peace:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Whelp. Thanks for all the help to everyone here!

Just pulled the trigger on a cosmetic seconds DBV with baller upgrade for $200 USD. I checked and it was confirmed that the extra $40USD covers everything needed for the baller upgrade including the rubies. Seems like a steal of a deal as that's less than some of the better portables out there.

I'll report back how it all turns out!

Top Bottom