Why is My Vape Running Much Hotter Than Usual?

tokey123

The power supply for my Woodeez broke awhile ago, so I replaced it with a similar power supply with the only difference being that it was 12V 1600mA instead of 12V 1000mA. I think that this was working fine for a couple of months (can't really remember) but then all of a sudden the vape felt really hot to the touch. So much so that I could only get 1-2 draws before the weed turned brown.
I then replaced the power supply with this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290748185666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - 12V 1000mA, but it's still really hot to the touch.

Does anyone know why this is the case and if there is anything I can do about it?

Could this be because the Woodeez is designed to be used with a 110v power supply? If yes, can anyone point me in the right direction for what I need to get the Woodeez working as it should again?

tokey123,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
You may not have a regulated power supply. Look for a power supply that is regulated. Otherwise the output voltage will vary with the voltage at the wall. This could give you more voltage than you need. Sounds like you may be applying more like 14 volts for it to get that hot. A regulated power supply will always put out 12 volts regardless of the wall voltage.
A variable voltage power supply is another option if you want to spend a little more money. Then you can precisely control the temperature.
Hope this helps and happy roasting.

tokey123

You may not have a regulated power supply. Look for a power supply that is regulated. Otherwise the output voltage will vary with the voltage at the wall. This could give you more voltage than you need. Sounds like you may be applying more like 14 volts for it to get that hot. A regulated power supply will always put out 12 volts regardless of the wall voltage.
A variable voltage power supply is another option if you want to spend a little more money. Then you can precisely control the temperature.
Hope this helps and happy roasting.

That makes sense. Would this work http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Regulated-Switch-Power-Supply/dp/B004S7EM5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374001856&sr=1-1&keywords=regulated 12v 1000ma ? My only issue is that I have no idea whether the Woodeez can be used with a 240V UK power supply or not. I'm happy to purchase the Jameco one and a step down transformer, but I would prefer not to have to wait for it to come all the way from the USA. There's the shipping cost to think of as well.

tokey123,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
That makes sense. Would this work http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Regulated-Switch-Power-Supply/dp/B004S7EM5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374001856&sr=1-1&keywords=regulated 12v 1000ma ? My only issue is that I have no idea whether the Woodeez can be used with a 240V UK power supply or not. I'm happy to purchase the Jameco one and a step down transformer, but I would prefer not to have to wait for it to come all the way from the USA. There's the shipping cost to think of as well.

That one should work fine to power your it. 1000ma is the minimum to use. 1500ma or more would be better. I like to use a power supply that has at least twice as much capacity as needed. The heating element requires about 750ma.
Your starting voltage (240V) should not matter as long as it ends up at 12v. Much easier to have a power supply with the proper wall plugs. It should work on a 12v battery as well. Probably want to use something like a motorcycle battery size. The polarity for the plug doesn't matter.

Alan,
Reactions: tokey123
Top Bottom