Weight of fresh bud vs ABV

MinnBobber

I'm looking at some ABV recipes, like lwien's steelcut oatmeal recipe.
So, it got me thinking about weight of ABV.

His recipe, for example, calls for 2 grams of ABV.
What did that weigh before vaping? My bud is high quality, well cured.
The ABV is very dry so what do you think that 2 grams weighed before vaping?

It would help me to judge the potency of the recipe.
Thanks

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I'm looking at some ABV recipes, like lwien's steelcut oatmeal recipe.
So, it got me thinking about weight of ABV.

His recipe, for example, calls for 2 grams of ABV.
What did that weigh before vaping? My bud is high quality, well cured.
The ABV is very dry so what do you think that 2 grams weighed before vaping?

It would help me to judge the potency of the recipe.
Thanks
I've found there are many variables in volume vs. weight, so I gauge my recipes by volume. I have a set of measuring spoons and dependent on what vape my ABV batch is from, I use a different size spoon.

For example, my Herbie runs a bit cooler than most, so the ABV from top shelf really packs a punch. Through experimentation, I've found the proper sized spoon for a single dose to get me to a level I seek. Then I adjust the quantity of ABV per the number of doses in whatever I'm making. My EQ on the other hand produces much darker ABV (more goodies used during vaping, less left over in ABV), so through experimentation again, have found a larger sized spoon to measure a single dose... and if making a batch of something with multiple doses, increase the number of spoonfuls accordingly.

There are many other factors involved in the level of effect, like how much fat you've eaten that day, but using this system I can take a dose of whatever I've whipped up and I know exactly what I'm getting as far as level of medicatedness... (I think I just made up a new word?)

Anyhow, hope this helps! :rockon:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
It would definitely vary somewhat based on strain, dryness etc, but I believe you lose approx 30% of the weight of fresh bud when vaping.

The table above shows the total weight of each load, The ABV that was left, and what was vaporized, along with the percentage vaporized.

Here are my actual numbers
Run Load Weight Finished Load Actual Use Efficiency
1 0.110 g 0.075 g 0.035 g 31.818%
2 0.140 g 0.090 g 0.050 g 35.714%
3 0.150 g 0.110 g 0.040 g 26.667%
4 0.140 g 0.115 g 0.025 g 17.857%
5 0.170 g 0.115 g 0.055 g 32.353%
Total 0.710 g 0.505 g 0.205 g 28.873%
Check out this thread for a bit more info

MinnBobber

Thanks,
sounds like it varies from losing 20% weight to losing 40%.
Seems like 30% would be a good average of what weight is lost from fresh to ABV

MinnBobber,
Reactions: NorVape

ean

my bud would go from .12, down to .03. so for me it lost about 3/4 of the weight

ean,
Reactions: Alexis

max

Out to lunch
The main factor is the amount of moisture in the bud to begin with, and how much has evaporated. Whether it's Summer (very humid in some areas) or Winter (usually dries your herb out quickly) also matters. With these factors there could be a really wide range of good answers.

max,
Top Bottom