Vriptech GonG: functional or purely aesthetic?

Buzzby

I'm currently using a VHW and a VWT-Pro with the slider stem and the grommeted bowl. I'm looking at the GonG lower bowl and the Gong down stem. They certainly look cool, but I'm wondering how much functional difference they would make to the vripping experience. In the conventional setup, vapor flow doesn't go past the grommet, so I don't think it affects the taste. There might be air leaks around the grommet, but my ad hoc suction tests don't detect any.

I'm wondering whether there is any reason to spend $60 to upgrade to GonG other than appearances, which I don't really care about. If I do decide to go GonG, is there a GonG stem without the diffuser holes on the sides? I like to use my VWT-Pro with just a little water and I'm wondering if the diffuser holes would be above the water's surface.

Buzzby,

yolky

Not sure about whether or not the GonG lower stem would make a difference for you. Personally, I like the idea of as close to a glass on glass setup as possible. Regarding the downstem/diffusor... Vriptech offers the ground joint downstem with diffusor for $30. It looks to be a nice piece of kit. the GonG lower joint (either the 14.4 or the 18.8mm) that connects to the VCB is going to run is going to run you another $30. If you can afford it, it may be a good route to go!

yolky,

Buzzby

yolky said:
Personally, I like the idea of as close to a glass on glass setup as possible.
A lot of people say that and that's why I'm asking "Why?" Do you like the way it looks (aesthetics) or some aspect of the way it performs (functionality)? Does it have to do with the abstract idea that glass-on-glass is somehow "superior" or is there a reason it actually is superior?

I can see the advantage in not having vapor flowing through plastics and metals that might outgas, but in the conventional VWT-Pro, the vapors don't do that. The only non-glass item, the rubber grommet is not even in the vapor's flow path. I don't see how it could have much effect on the vapor at all.

Is the superiority of "all glass" real or is it a cultural myth? If it's real, why is it real? Is it as arbitrary as having the "right" color lighter (which some people insist on) or does it make a real-world difference in the vaping experience?

Buzzby,

Frickr

i just think it comes down to personal preferance. ive smoked out of both styles, and couldnt tell the differance between them other then with the grometed one theres a longer downstem. functionality im sure they are equal.

Frickr,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
GonG attachments do look better but also are more sturdy. When i use my VHW i do put firm pressure on the bowl (I use a BM bowl not the original) and I am glad I have an attachment that is all glass partially because of that. Plus, it's just much nicer looking. As far as function and taste, I wouldn't expect much of a difference if your seal is true.

IAmKrazy2,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Gongs are shorter too so you don't have to pull 3 inches of slider out when clearing. Plus GonG doesn't move around as much as a grometed slider will. I don't think I'd spend the money on gong stuff unless your lookin to upgrade to a diffused downstem of some sort. I'll never buy another non-GonG peice though. Sliders seem like old technology to me and GonG looks 10x better IMO

minnesnowta,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
More sturdy, more consistent seal, have you ever used a full GonG set up? It's the kind of thing you just have to experience to realize how great it is.

bluntfaced,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
bluntfaced said:
More sturdy, more consistent seal, have you ever used a full GonG set up? It's the kind of thing you just have to experience to realize how great it is.
Yup GonG blew my mind the first time I used it. It's on the high end stuff for a reason.

minnesnowta,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
GonG for life.. never going back. Something about the sound it makes when you put the slide in the joint/remove it from the joint... I like it :brow:

aznfknpride,

FEAR420

Buzzby said:
I'm wondering whether there is any reason to spend $60 to upgrade to GonG other than appearances, which I don't really care about. If I do decide to go GonG, is there a GonG stem without the diffuser holes on the sides? I like to use my VWT-Pro with just a little water and I'm wondering if the diffuser holes would be above the water's surface.
The purpose of the diffuser holes is to increase the amount of surface area the smoke/vapor touches,increasing the cooling/smoothing effects. It basically works like this....your normal downstem has no diffuser holes so you get giant bubbles.Those giant bubbles are holding smoke/vapor in and not allowing the water to fully serve its purpose. Using the diffuser stem will make a buncha lil bubbles that will be greatly cooled & smoothed by the water. If you have the choice to get a diffused stem over a straight stem,ALWAYS go diffused:brow:

FEAR420,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Gong makes a perfect seal instantly. Grommets require some work. GONG is standard in the science industry for a reason. ;)

Interchangeability is no longer an issue either. 2 sizes - 14 and 18. Allows you to get a wicked new piece from the local headshop or online without worrying if it will fit or not.

Cleaning, they are a lot easier to clean -- larger bore and no rubber to deal with.

I don't own a Vrip anymore, but if I did, I'd shell out 60 bones to get a GONG upgrade. It was desperately needed, and a relief to see now! It should be standard in the vaporizers if they wish to stand a honest chance... :2c:

SpiralArchitect,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I'm pro-GonG myself but I figure I'd play devil' advocate, here is the Pro-grommet guy doing his thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3vB4NCkmgU&feature=player_embedded

From a combustion perspective, I think the GonGs make a huge difference in smoke to air ratio. For vaporizing, I do not think it makes that MUCH of a difference. I prefer it for it's aesthetics myself as opposed to a functional reason.

stonemonkey55,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
stonemonkey55 said:
I'm pro-GonG myself but I figure I'd play devil' advocate, here is the Pro-grommet guy doing his thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3vB4NCkmgU&feature=player_embedded

From a combustion perspective, I think the GonGs make a huge difference in smoke to air ratio. For vaporizing, I do not think it makes that MUCH of a difference. I prefer it for it's aesthetics myself as opposed to a functional reason.
Tony is a fucking idiot, please do NOT buy into the bullshit that is being shit out of his mouth.

GonG > grommet. Nuff said. Not saying there's anything wrong with grommet pieces, but GonG is definitely better, hands down.

That is all.

aznfknpride,
Top Bottom