Veteran Faces Jail Time for Treating PTSD With Medical Marijuana

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Veteran Faces Jail Time for Treating PTSD With Medical Marijuana

http://www.alternet.org/speakeasy/k...1086383.k7xrOC&rd=1&src=newsletter805359&t=11

In 2003, former U.S. Navy Corpsman Jeremy Usher returned from Iraq and Afghanistan, only to suffer from flashbacks of combat and a variety of mental health issues, including nightmares and insomnia, panic attacks, and depression. Thanks to medical marijuana, he is doing better, but is now facing jail time for choosing a medication the federal government refuses to legitimize.

A combat medic, Usher was on the back of a helicopter sent to rescue wounded marines when he was shot in the head, causing brain damage and memory loss and leaving him with a stutter. When he walked out of a treatment at a San Diego hospital, he was still not well, and according to the Greeley Tribune, "suffered form extreme paranoia as he wandered San Diego, constantly spinning around while walking to make sure no one was sneaking up on him."

According to the the Greeley Tribune, Usher then began self-medicating with alcohol, marking the beginnings of his criminal record. He is currently serving probation in Colorado for his second and third DUIs. Usher says he is cleaning up in his act in counseling and school, but is facing jail time for violating probation by treating his PTSD with medical marijuana nonetheless. For failing dozens of drug tests, he could do 29 days in jail.

Usher told the Greeley Tribune he feels like he is "being punished for being a little different" and "not understanding why." His doctors have written letters to the court explaining that medical marijuana and Marinol pills have helped treat his PTSD, and they recommend he stay on it. Nonetheless, America's draconian drug policy is now threatening to send a traumatized veteran to jail, where he worries his progress could begin to reverse.

Surely, living without medication in jail, where the environment is often unpredictable and violent, is not beneficial to a PTSD sufferer's mental health. Moreover, if Usher is abstaining from drinking and using medical marijuana to treat the PTSD that caused his self-medication and run-ins with the law in the first place, identifying the public safety threat that might justify his incarceration is difficult, to say the least.

Usher maintains hope that he will be allowed to continue his medication, but also wants to prevent the same consequences for other veterans.

"I want to raise enough awareness so that this doesn't happen to guys coming out of there," Jeremy told the Greeley Tribune.

"I'm never going to be free of the flashes of the memories; I'm stuck with those for life. What I'm able to do is manage those in an appropriate manner, without just going out and cracking open a bottle."

tikimaize

Big Rigger Approved!
This is utter bullshit. It's ok to send a person to war but not to allow a treatment that helps him live a more normal life. Assholes!!!

tikimaize,
Reactions: Vicki

dorkus_molorkus

This is so fucking sad. My wife works with vets here in oz, PTSD is some bad shit. Young men whose lives are ruined because the govt dont give a damn.

they didn't care after Vietnam & they don't care now. there are Vietnam vets who are still total basket cases and have been for 30 years or more.

Now there is 2 new generations that are suffering terribly. The 1st gulf war has many PTSD victims, and of course vets from Iraq & Afghanistan.

However, I do wish to mention the amount of damaged vets from hazing, bastardization, bullying & some cases of severe sexual assaults of both genders, on occasions involving group assault upon an individual.

These people too have virtually no voice either.
It must be a terrible burden to have fought for your country, only to come home & find you have been poisoned (DU, agent orange etc), psychologically maimed, or if you have been physically maimed, to be forgotten upon return.
How fucking bitter would you be? To have your life ruined for , I guess lies in the end?

I guess sadly, this is what freedom tastes like.

dorkus_molorkus,
Reactions: Vicki

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
It is interesting to note that we have more soldiers committing suicide once they get home from Afghanistan than we are losing on the actual battlefield in combat. Hello? Anyone sick of the perpetual state of war yet? Think its going to end anytime soon? This is all by design . . .

dorkus_molorkus

razors, nappies, pets for xmas & our veterans.

All disposable.:cry:

More & more our society is mimicking all the sci-fi books and movies. Governed by an uncaring military industrial complex, being told what is good for us, what to eat, what to consume, and when to consume it.

The lines between govt, the military & big business are being so blurred, it wont be long before it just one big blob. Blackwater, halliburtons immediately spring to mind.

Damn, some of those books have some scary shit in them. I think we will make sure to have some vets as friends in our day to day life.

cuz when it all goes to shit, they will know who to shoot.
Fucking everybody!
(they often tell my wife in great detail)

Do your future post-apocalyptic self & family a favour!
Make friends with a veteran today!:clap:
(just keep all the weapons at yr house, till it all goes bad, to prevent 'accidents' :tup: )

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Make friends with a veteran today!:clap:
(just keep all the weapons at yr house, till it all goes bad, to prevent 'accidents' :tup: )

My Dad was a Navy Vet (he passed away March 20, 2005) and my husband is a Vet. They are both two of the best people you could ever meet, as are most Vets we know. They don't deserve to be shit on after they risked their lives to protect their country. :(

As a veteran of 3 years combat in Afganistan this hit me pretty hard. I'll tell you that PTSD is very real. At least 75% of those I served with dont get to go home,in there heads...ever. Hard to explain,that's why most suffer in silence. Every single man and women was there to serve our country. We fought them there so we wouldn't have to fight them in California. War is the most hellish thing you can imagine,not a tool for diplomats hiding in Washington. I hated every second I was there. But someone has to do it,that's just the reality of the world we live in. The men and women serving right now are brave beyond belief and they are shit on by the Govt. they fight for. But we are not the victims of war,we are the products of war. We fight,we bleed and we die so you don't have to. You can hate our Govt. all you want,(I know I do), but remember that whatever freedoms we enjoy have been paid for in blood.
Maybe if the politicians who started the war had to actually fight it would be a different story.
I'm rambling now,need to Vape.
Please don't hate or ignore the vets of any generation...bullets aren't the only things that kills on the battlefield,and sometimes it takes years to fall. They need help,that's all,just a little help. They need to know they have a home. If the Govt. won't help them then we will.
For my brothers and sisters still on the ground;
"I pledge allegiance,to the flag,of the United States of America......"

Stay safe and come home. We've got your backs.

Top Bottom