vapor science

glasper

Hi all, could someone send some info or a link that considers the science behind vaping? I'm particularly interested in learning about how plant vapor differs from combusted plant smoke in both composition and effects. PhD level is not necessary -- something for the reasonably intelligent layman would be great! Thanks!

glasper,

glasper

Thanks, dude. The study was sponsored by a pro-mj organization so there's risk for bias, but it otherwise looks like the real deal. The paper has been cited at least 33 times (per Google Scholar) so I imagine there's some validity. I like the line "This confirms that vaporization is essentially a different physical process than combustion."

glasper,

skyline

No problem dude. Ahh you're right about that, sorry I didn't notice that. These studies should have less risk for bias:

http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/4/1/11

http://www.csatc.org/linksofinterest/Fischedick2010.pdf

The second article is pretty good and investigates the effects of vapor and smoke in vivo, as well as making a comparison between the components of vapor and smoke using several methods of analysis.

A quote from that article's conclusion:
"Quantitative comparison of cannabis smoke and vapor shows that vaporizing cannabis with the Volcano®is a more reliable and safer administration form for the delivery of D9- THC due to the lack of pyrolytic degradation and more efficient D9-THC volatilization"

I wonder why they always use the Volcano in these studies lol.

Edit: Wait upon reading more closely I found an even better quote from that second article!

"In contrast to vapor samples smoked cannabis contained many compounds not observed in extracts or vapor (Table 4). In total 23 unknown cannabinoids, various hydrocarbons, phenolic compounds, nitrogen containing compounds, D 8 -THC, 1-oxo-cannabinol and significant amounts of CBN(2 mg/g) were observed in cannabis smoke. These results suggest a much higher degree of pyrolytic degradation in cannabis smoke when compared to cannabis vapor and is consistent with previous literature."

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I can imagine some process like the alcohol distilation.. Evaporation and running trough cold environment to solidify . I can imagine something as cheap as dry ice to do an awesome work :p.

Abysmal Vapor,

glasper

thanks...there's more than thc to consider...Any idea of how vaping affects the CBD/THC ratios? i wonder if indica and sativa dominant plants are as distinctive when vaped as compared to when combusted.

glasper,

skyline

haha well if you attend a university and they pay for subscriptions to academic journals then search your research database for "Cannabis smoke condensate III: The cannabinoid content of vaporised Cannabis sativa." They compare ratios of THC, THCA, CBG, and CBN released at 3 temperature settings in the Volcano to the ratios released in a cannabis "cigarette". What I can say is that at the highest temp, the Volcano produces considerably more THC than the joint. And that throughout all vaporizing temps, CBN levels are negligible but they are notably much more significant with the joint. There's no mention of CBD though. :\

Sorry I can't post it though haha, its copyrighted by the academic journal Inhalation Toxicology and the only reason I can access it is because my university does what I said above. The other articles were different because they were public access and had no such restrictions.

As for anecdotal evidence, many users including myself find that vaporizing at lower temperatures gives much more of a "head high" (THC) and that vaporizing at higher temperatures yields more of the "stoned lazy feeling" (CBD?..). However, even at high temperatures the whole vaporizing high is much more on the "head high" side of the spectrum than smoking. You do feel somewhat of a difference between indica and sativa dominant strains but I'd say not as much as with smoking. It always feels more sativa-like. Hope that helps!

skyline,

glasper

skyline - thanks for the great post. i'll trust your read of that article. your explanation seems to make sense. going off on a tangent....do you know of any good reads about the science of edibles in general, especially those made with AVB? no problem if not. i'm curious. g

glasper,
Top Bottom