1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap DIY Induction Heating : Bits 'n' pieces

Discussion in 'DIY' started by stardustsailor, Aug 7, 2018.

1. pxl_jockey

pxl_jockey Barely-Known Member

Aw man, that’s not what I meant to convey! I’m in a rough patch but it’ll be better, I’ve been doing this a long time. I don’t want you to give me stuff, my friend. You’re too nice and kind. I was honestly just playing with you and encouraging you to do more. Because then I could perhaps buy one! I’m honestly just amazed by your brain and the ideas it comes up with, you make it look easy!

I’ve got a small surgery in 2 weeks, then a big one next month that requires 18 months of physiotherapy! But tonight I got a wonderful bit of long anticipated news and I feel fortunate to be alive. I’ll definitely be messaging you later about a stem and then we can discuss this matter further. Good night!

2. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Congrats, @pxl_jockey!

SDS, what's about: "Order 10 stems and get one IH for free!"? ;)

stardustsailor likes this.
  3. stardustsailor

stardustsailor Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

The " Jules Bern " unit now has found a new owner .
    So ,i had to make a new one for myself .

A " lab-style " IH system .

From left to right :

* Mains power source ( tethered main unit )
    Input (mains) : 100-240 VAC , 50/60 Hz , 1A
    Output : 12 VDC , 10 A

* Main IH unit
    Input : 12VDC ,10A max.

* Battery pack ( portable main unit )
    Input /Charging ( rocker switch position "II" ) : 12,6 VDC ,1A ,3S Li-ion charger
    Output ( rocker switch position "I" ) : 12 VDC ,10A , 3Ah
    (cells used : 3x LG HG2 )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click to play YouTube Video

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. CuckFumbustion

CuckFumbustion Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.

Okay so i ordered a 5V-12V Low Voltage ZVS Induction Heating Power Supply Module + Heater Coil RM and have a lot of ideas to mull over. Especially after finding this thread. But I'm electronically illiterate. There are some concerns with powering up or frying mosfits, etc. So what might be a good simple power setup solutions to prevent most of these things from happening? Have a ton of power cords, etc th choose from to strip. The amount of AMPs matter I guess. What might be the sweet spot voltage wise to use? Actually any insight that would prevent me from frying the unit before I actually come up with a project.

5. stardustsailor

Actually it is the voltage and not the amperage that can destroy the MOSFETs.

Few "rules of thumb " to follow ,in order to have a trouble free operation of the ZVS IH module .

1 ) The supplied Voltage should not be less than 5 VDC and not more than 12,5-13 VDC .

2 ) If you will use a power supply unit ,just remember that most units hold some energy (for a brief time ) ,
    after they are disconnected from the mains.
    Then ,you must not activate the IH module ,if it is still connected with the PSU.
    The energy stored is not sufficient to powerthe IH ,but is capable of frying the MOSFETs .
    If the PSU has an indicator LED ,that LED should go completely off .

3 ) Double check all the connections and solder points on the DC side power line ( +12 VDC ) .
    A bad/loose wire connection or a cold /bad solder point will/may prove destructive .
    Check the ZVS IH module itself for bad or cracked solder points.
    The FETs ,the diodes ,resistors,inductors ,caps and the working coil should be " rock solid " soldered .

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Hogni and CuckFumbustion like this.
  6. CuckFumbustion

Not part of the MOSFET blowing up. I read somewhere about enough AMPs for the unit to power up and sustain. Otherwise it doesn't work and the LED indicator blinks. KIM I'm reading all this second hand.
    Thanks for rules of thumb. Especially the point about DRAINING the PWR completely before the next power up. I was thinking about using a PWR strip like say the one with my EQ and a hard switch in the middle to cut power on and off as one example. If I'm understanding that issue.

7. stardustsailor

All the (switching ) PSUs they are "self-draining" the remaining energy ,after unplugging from the mains.
    They just need few seconds to do so .

CuckFumbustion likes this.
  8. CuckFumbustion

Read too many articles elsewhere as to what this unit needs power and ramp up quickly. :bang: I'm starting at near 0 understanding of electrical flow and trying to catch up so I can try out my IH. So my questions and presumptions need to be refined/corrected/reset.

I have a Tattoo voltage meter - TPN-023 (from my UD experiments) and a few power strips laying around with their hard on/off switches and was going to use on PWR strip as the hard switch for now. For the tattoo V.M, An analog dial sets the amps in analog, I'm presuming this anyway. :hmm:
    So If I set the dial at 5.9, turn off the power strip, pause and power on, the unit will read and output at 5.9. presumably. So the IH will only have access to 5.9 at any time. If it requires more because I'm trying to heat up too much mass, then I'll get the blinking lights. Try 6.0 out, etc.
    Mini Professional LED Screen Rotary Tattoo Machine Power Supply With Cord | eBay
    So how the unit initially powers up and down is critical. The simple IH will run away with whatever power is given to it until blue smoke occurs, from what I've read. So, I'm hoping the tattoo machine can be set at an optimum voltage. Perhaps 9v as a baseline? Also whatever is getting heated causes the IH to raise voltage?? More mass= More potential voltage? More danger?
    Please correct me quickly of any false notions I have and tell me if this is sound enough of a setup for a few test runs until I come up with something more thought out. :freak:

9. stardustsailor

The Tattoo machine power supply at the given link is not suitable to power the ZVS IH module.
    It can not output more than 1.5 Amperes . The ZVS IH module needs at least 6-7 Amperes to operate properly .

The more mass to be heated = the more Amperes the ZVS IH module will "ask for " from the PSU .

The optimal operational voltage for the ZVS IH unit is 12 Volts .

For powering the ZVS IH module wou will need something like this :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SingPad-Ad...h=item23a98d14ca:g:6LcAAOSwgh5bkEsh:rk:5:pf:0

or this :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-22...=item48ac43ea3e:g:3oAAAOSw51Va8H6F:rk:16:pf:0

or one of these (either the 100 W or the 150 W ) :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...a4df170e1:m:medpA8OU1n5GF6eeSlHKeOA:rk:1:pf:0

KeroZen and CuckFumbustion like this.
  10. CuckFumbustion

Ok, the first two choices and 3rd choice with the 150 Waterproof were 10 Amperes. The 100 Amp I found was 8.5 If I'm understanding this.

The 3rd link was out of 100w. Hope this is what I'd want.
    Waterproof LED Driver 100 w Watt 12 v volt IP67 power supply transformer outdoor 701806063434 | eBay

Well looking at the wires coming out of both ends. Don't really have solder equipment, but figure there is a hard switch I could wire between the LED driver and the power plug. Or would that require something else in the chain?

Looks like I'll have to slow my roll and regroup and get a real project going. Look at the first msg posted here and inspect the board itself.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapcap-diy-induction-heating-bits-n-pieces.33216/

The Waterproof 100w looks like my 1st choice ATM. But I'm open for any suggestions for a quick and dirty or at least a solder less solution.

So you can upgrade/replace the mosfits with this IH? Choose a better suited copper coil?

I've seen some DIY here that requires schematics and solder while some methods might mostly require some basic wiring skills and some screw on wire connectors to 'get er done'. Where does/can a digital LED fit into this?

Thanks for all the info and preventing me from a bad. @stardustsailor :tup:

11. stardustsailor

Brother ,I think it's time you should give it a try to acquire some basic soldering skills .
    It's not that difficult ,after all .

12. stardustsailor

13. stardustsailor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click to play YouTube Video

Cheers