Gear Universal Heater Station by D-Nail (a.k.a. Dnail, D-Nation, DNation)

Texus

Thought this needed it's own thread, since I think this'll be a hot (hyuck, hyuck) one. Especially if this ends up working great for wireless ballers (stay tuned, Wireless TKO should be here before too long).

After some delays (that in the long run feel quite reasonable, all things considered), my Universal Heater showed up today. Pics here are from when I was doing initial burnoff after a quick swab of the interior with iso on a Qtip (thus the placement on the cookie sheet as a precaution) . I've now had a chance to use it twice, with some of my widest bangers. It was tighter than I'd have liked but these were some wide slurper-styles (I'll follow up with the names later).

But otherwise, I am loving it after just those couple sessions. Such a nice consistent heating that can go so high up the banger, while accomodating a huge array of shapes and sizes. With the Dnail PID controller, I ran the heater at 800. Think that's a good starting point, tho I may raise that a tad once I've gotten to know it with various styles at this temp. Really fun stuff.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Thought this needed it's own thread, since I think this'll be a hot (hyuck, hyuck) one. Especially if this ends up working great for wireless ballers (stay tuned, Wireless TKO should be here before too long).

After some delays (that in the long run feel quite reasonable, all things considered), my Universal Heater showed up today. Pics here are from when I was doing initial burnoff after a quick swab of the interior with iso on a Qtip (thus the placement on the cookie sheet as a precaution) . I've now had a chance to use it twice, with some of my widest bangers. It was tighter than I'd have liked but these were some wide slurper-styles (I'll follow up with the names later).

But otherwise, I am loving it after just those couple sessions. Such a nice consistent heating that can go so high up the banger, while accomodating a huge array of shapes and sizes. With the Dnail PID controller, I ran the heater at 800. Think that's a good starting point, tho I may raise that a tad once I've gotten to know it with various styles at this temp. Really fun stuff.

This looks exactly as an electric melting furnace for metal.
81h6C1nnVTL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Some years ago when even enails were just getting in ,i tossed the idea of preheating bangers in a soldering pot and use them wirelessly and people laughed on it :D. I guess industry is catching up ,haha . Probably still a viable cheapo alternative :).
71N5chO1nvL._SL1200_.jpg

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Some years ago when even enails were just getting in ,i tossed the idea of preheating bangers in a soldering pot and use them wirelessly and people laughed on it :D. I guess industry is catching up ,haha . Probably still a viable cheapo alternative :)
Some folks are also using curling iron ovens as a very inexpensive version of a mini kiln for bangers.

I am currently waiting on the XL UTHS myself. Seems like it should be great!

Texus

Some folks are also using curling iron ovens as a very inexpensive version of a mini kiln for bangers.

I am currently waiting on the XL UTHS myself. Seems like it should be great!
Yeah. I was debating switching to the XL, and then while still trying to decide I got my shipping notice on this one. We'll see how I feel about the tight tolerance with my larger bangers as I live with this one. Those nails are 38-39 mm diameter and the UTHS diameter is 42 mm wide.

It is still verrrrry early, but I am also not currently seeing much need personally for the glass top accessory that folks have been grumbling about the price on (tho it is domestically made quartz, and apparently tricky to produce, so doesn't feel too out of line at $200 IMHO). They've also said they have additional accessory ideas, which will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Also, shout out to D-Nail for their early adopter support. In addition to their discounted price, they are offering a free rebuild for any changes that may come (or for any reason), or 40% off a new unit or $100 store credit.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I friggin love it. Tallboys and/or a good tower work best. Shorter nails work just fine but the dish will get a fair amount of heat soak. It’s still a heat unit and a hot nail, so standard precautions apply, but in the right location it’s a welcome [silent] workload reduction for the torch. I heat with pearls/pillars in the nail and find even 20-30° below my normal drops I get a hot flavor, and continue to produce vapor when my DabRite is reading as low as ~360°. I’m sure the D-Nail team will continue to refine, but I am impressed with this unit.

Oh, and I have been heating only on my rig. That does limit the rigs you can use, as not all will fit well (RBR as a style in particular doesn’t work great). You could certainly leave a nail hanging in by itself, but even on the rig the neck and joint get fairly warm, resting on the metal I think it could get pretty hot to grab. I will be getting a quartz top when the first full run is in, and plan to try hanging the nails with that in place. Will update.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Looks interesting, tho I do wonder how much they're "factoring in" for the lab scissor jack....:hmm::myday:

Ha:

Edit:

Bologna,
Reactions: Cheebsy

SixStringToker

Naked member
Looks interesting, tho I do wonder how much they're "factoring in" for the lab scissor jack....:hmm::myday:

Ha:

Edit:
It's a cheap rickety lab jack - probably costs them all of $8 in bulk. No self-respecting lab would ever use something like this! :lol:

20240124_160346.jpg

On the plus side, cheap rickety lab jacks apparently have a very low W/m-K, which is really the only thing saving whatever surface you put this miniature space heater on. The thing that looks like a heat shield actually acts more as a radiator; it's bolted directly to the heated cup piece so the heat can transfer directly into it and burn the CRAP out of you if you bump it.

With the controller set to 800F (well within the normal operational range), I measure 500F for the top metal shield, 400F for the vented metal radiator side tube, 200F for the top plate of the lab jack and the bottom plate of the lab jack is comfortable to touch. This thing gets HOT! 🔥❤️‍🔥

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
It's a cheap rickety lab jack - probably costs them all of $8 in bulk. No self-respecting lab would ever use something like this! :lol:

20240124_160346.jpg

On the plus side, cheap rickety lab jacks apparently have a very low W/m-K, which is really the only thing saving whatever surface you put this miniature space heater on. The thing that looks like a heat shield actually acts more as a radiator; it's bolted directly to the heated cup piece so the heat can transfer directly into it and burn the CRAP out of you if you bump it.

With the controller set to 800F (well within the normal operational range), I measure 500F for the top metal shield, 400F for the vented metal radiator side tube, 200F for the top plate of the lab jack and the bottom plate of the lab jack is comfortable to touch. This thing gets HOT! 🔥❤️‍🔥
Ha, yeah, like $8 at Harbor Freight... I don't really see much of an advantage to heating a hammer this way... seems like more of a fire/burn/stinky errant hair hazard than the Terp Ready.... and yeah, I haven't used a blender or the like yet, but I guess it's currently your only choice other than fire or wires for those types of bangers. I mean, other than being a better/cooler form factor, why not heat it while you're hitting...? Isn't that what makes it more appealing than say, chucking your slurper in the toaster oven...?

EDIT: HA! Dance team "LIKE AROUND".... or rather: "Jump, mofos, JUMP!"

'I FINK U FREEKY' by DIE ANTWOORD (Official)
Puppets on strings....:rofl:

Last edited:
Bologna,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again

Quartz top came in, definitely an improvement all around. I would feel fine leaving a nail hanging in it with the quartz top on.

Unsurprisingly I’m driving the temps down as low as I can, I’m currently heat soaking at 515° (DC PID). At that temp I can hold my hand a couple inches above the chimney for a length of time without getting uncomfortable. And the heat soak makes pillars of mass into thermal batteries. I’m dropping 40°+ cooler than I did with a torch, and I’m producing vapor well into the mid-low 300° range on the DR.

I have no concerns on the heat it’s giving off (again very minimal at 515), and it’s not just a replacement for the torch, but an upgraded experience all around. I’ll still use my torch time to time (a few of my nails don’t fit the UH), but my daily routine will never include one again.

Great work D-Nail team!

Top Bottom