Tricyclic Antidepressants and MMJ

green2brown

I was recently prescribed Desipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA), to attempt to treat IBS-like symptoms. I started a week ago at 5mg and upped the dose to 10mg 3 nights ago. The goal in another couple week's time is to get to 20mg.

Until this afternoon I hadn't experienced any side effects aside from mild fatigue and dry mouth (though let's be honest, my mouth isn't any drier than it usually is from MMJ use alone :p). After having a nice session with the Cloud and .15g of a nice PK, I noticed my heart was beating a bit fast. Checked my heart rate and counted 90+ BPM. My typical resting heart rate while under the influence of MMJ is ~70 BPM. Then I went out for a walk to run an errand and after 10 min I could feel my heart racing. I stopped and checked it again, this time counting about 160 BPM. After resting a bit, it dropped back down to around 100 BPM and stayed there for a couple hours before lowering to the 80s and finally now into the 70s.

I spoke with my GI who prescribed the desipramine and she said she's never heard of such a reaction from such a low dose. She said that all reports of tachycardia involving desipramine and marijuana were in young teens who were taking significantly higher doses (>150mg) - neither of which describe me. She, however, was unaware as to whether this effect I'm experiencing will be only temporary while I adjust to the drug or if it will last for the duration of my treatment (minimum 3 months - likely a year if it works).

So FC, I come here to ask this: Does anyone have any experience with TCAs and MMJ? My GI said to continue the desipramine, be cautious about/possibly discontinue the MMJ use, and stay aware of my heart rate. This whole situation has me stressed out and anxious though, marijuana being the only thing I've found to help with my constant pain and discomfort, and this new fear that I'm going to have a sudden heart attack. So that in turn is probably elevating my heart rate even more. If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding MMJ, TCAs, and tachycardia/palpitations/irregular heartbeat, please share. I'm just not entirely sure what's safe at this point.

green2brown,
Top Bottom