Treatment of sleep disorders

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hi all,

I wonder how many users here treat a sleep disorder with cannabis? What kind of disorder do your suffer with and how do you treat it? Maybe we can learn from each other :sherlock:

I have a sleep disorder that is known as delayed sleep phase syndrome. I always knew my recreational consumption helped me sleep, since a long time before I was ever diagnosed, but then I recently discovered the joys of high temp vaping, and this has drastically helped me improve my routine and get to sleep early enough to get a reasonable rest more often.

I've found that strains that are high in myrecene seem to help, but with no legal market here yet (UK) getting specific strains is impossible so it's hard to know for sure.

As a complete curve ball I've also discovered of I drink a tea made from lemon verbena leaves in the afternoon and evening, that improves the chances of me getting sleepy sooner! It also tastes great!

Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share? Maybe there is something else I can try.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Orange flower tea before bedtime works great.
Melatonin works often too.
Valerian root extract is known to help for sleep too.
I personally react good to the first 2. The 3rd works too, but a bit less good for me. I do not know if your sleep disorder has a lot in common with mine.
But these are 3 relative safe and healthy medications aside from cannabis one can try.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
@Sick Vape thanks. I'll get some orange flower and give that a go. We can't get melatonin over the counter here, but I do have it prescribed, max dose and it's mildly effective depending on how I take it. I have some valerian root, tried vaping some with some lemon balm and it just tastes like bum! I'll try a tea, or make an extract from it maybe.

@hafalump that's a new one for me, I'll look into that later, thanks.

Squiby

A good strong infusion of chamomile tea never fails to knock me out. Sometimes I drink Valerian tea but chamomile is my go to. The key is to make a strong infusion. So to a cup of near boiling water I add a good two healing tablespoons of chamomile flowers and then let that steel for about 20 minutes. Drink that down and it's nighty night for me.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
@Sick Vape thanks. I'll get some orange flower and give that a go. We can't get melatonin over the counter here, but I do have it prescribed, max dose and it's mildly effective depending on how I take it. I have some valerian root, tried vaping some with some lemon balm and it just tastes like bum! I'll try a tea, or make an extract from it maybe.

@hafalump that's a new one for me, I'll look into that later, thanks.
Hehe, I don't like the taste of valerian either. I can vividly imagine how that tastes vaporised.
I had some valerian root tincture that I could put on a piece of sugar and swallow quickly.
My doctor prescribes me with 20mg melatonin every evening and that works pretty well for me, but it is not cheap. I heard in my country normal dosage is generally much lower. How high did you get prescribed?

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Thanks @Squiby I've heard good things about chamomile, haven't picked any up yet, added to the shipping list. I agree a strong infusion is always good for my lemon verbena too.

@Sick Vape I've been assigned to our national sleep centre for many years. The max dose melatonin is 12mg here. I actually had a meeting with a consultant yesterday, they are suggesting I take part in an experimental cognitive therapy. Fingers crossed I can give this a go too!

Cheebsy,
Reactions: Squiby

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Interesting! I didn't know that. I've been on the stuff for more than 10 years. I started on a 3mg dose which increased by 3mg every 12 to 18 months where the dose was becoming less and less effective, until I reached the maximum of 12mg. I then started playing with staggering the dose with an hour or so interval and that seemed more effective than a single dose. That probably explains why.

hd_rider

I have terribly bad insomnia. In fact, last night I had zero hours of sleep. The night before, I had about four.

I believe my chronic insomnia, which I've had for decades, is due to anxiety and stress. I guess my body just doesn't know how to alleviate this tension. Even though I exercise 5 days a week, an hour a day, all aerobic activity (stationary bike, elliptical, and rowing machine), that doesn't seem to make me tired at all.

I've tried all of the usual OTC remedies, melatonin, herbal teas, prescription drugs, etc. Nothing seems to help much or for very long. Most recently, I've been on a daily dose (3mg) of Lunexa for about six months but I quit those cold-turkey almost two weeks ago as they were no longer working. At this time, I am not taking any kind of medication or supplements except a daily does of magnesium (200mg) and an eye-dropper full of CBD tincture at night before bed. I want to say this is helping a little bit in that most nights I seem to fall asleep sooner and sleep for longer periods of time. However, even on the best nights, I'm lucky if I get four or five hours of sleep.

Needless to say, I am absolutely miserable and my quality of life sucks. As long as I've been living with this, I don't know if I'll ever find any relief.

I have an appointment scheduled with my doctor on Monday. I hope to discuss anxiety meds with him. Maybe if I can find a way to reduce this chronic anxiety, I might be able to calm down enough to get some sleep.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Melatonin passes thru the liver very fast. Large doses are a waste, over 5mg. The best option is the time release, this keeps melatonin is the system.
Interesting. In my case it is a medicine the doctor imports himself and prescribes himself. I just pay, lol. If I could go with a quarter of the dose he gives me, that would be cheaper. I thought to react better to 20mg than to 10mg and always went back to 20mg pretty fast. I will try 5mg a while to see.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
That's dreadful for you @hd_rider. I completely understand how you feel and sympathise with you a great deal. Before I started to work for myself I often had about 3 to 4 hours sleep a night. It quickly became a miserable existence. Gladly I don't have problems staying asleep like you do though so I was at least able to rest when I didn't have obligations. I know how desperate you feel and sincerely hope you do find relief eventually.

Cheebsy,

EverythingsHazy

I've read, and heard from doctors, that melatonin supplements are best used to get your body on the right timing schedule for melatonin production, but not as a long term replacement for your natural melatonin production. For example, if you get back from vacation and need to fix a 3+ hour time difference, you could take it a few times so that you start producing it at the right time, again.

"Melatonin sleep aids are growing in popularity, with 3 million Americans using them in 2012, according to a nationwide survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If you’re among them or are considering melatonin for sleep, it’s smart to understand exactly how melatonin works.

“Your body produces melatonin naturally. It doesn’t make you sleep, but as melatonin levels rise in the evening it puts you into a state of quiet wakefulness that helps promote sleep,” explains Johns Hopkins sleep expert Luis F. Buenaver, Ph.D., C.B.S.M.

“Most people’s bodies produce enough melatonin for sleep on their own. However, there are steps you can take to make the most of your natural melatonin production, or you can try a supplement on a short-term basis if you’re experiencing insomnia, want to overcome jet lag, or are a night owl who needs to get to bed earlier and wake up earlier, such as for work or school.”

If you’d like to harness melatonin’s sleep-inducing effects, Buenaver recommends taking these steps.

Work with, not against, melatonin’s sleep-inducing signals.
“Melatonin levels rise about two hours before bedtime,” Buenaver says. “Create optimal conditions for it to do its job by keeping the lights low before bed. Stop using your computer, smartphone or tablet—the blue and green light from these devices can neutralize melatonin’s effects. If you watch television, be sure you’re at least six feet away from the screen. Turn off bright overhead lights too.” Meanwhile you can help program your body to produce melatonin for sleep at the right time of day by getting exposure to daylight during the morning and afternoon. Take a walk outside or sit beside a sunny window.

Consider melatonin sleep help for occasional insomnia.
“Even sound sleepers have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep once in a while,” Buenaver says. “You may want to try melatonin for sleep if you have difficulty for more than a night or two.” Research shows that a supplement may help people with insomnia fall asleep slightly faster and may have bigger benefits for those with delayed sleep phase syndrome—falling asleep very late and waking up late the next day.

Use melatonin sleep supplements wisely and safely.
“Less is more,” Buenaver says. Take 1 to 3 milligrams two hours before bedtime. To ease jet lag, try taking melatonin two hours before your bedtime at your destination, starting a few days before your trip. “You can also adjust your sleep-wake schedule to be in sync with your new time zone by simply staying awake when you reach your destination—delaying sleep until your usual bedtime in the new time zone. Also, get outside for natural light exposure. That’s what I do,” Buenaver says.

Know when to stop.
“If melatonin for sleep isn’t helping after a week or two, stop using it,” says Buenaver. “And if your sleep problems continue, talk with your health care provider. If melatonin does seem to help, it’s safe for most people to take nightly for one to two months. “After that, stop and see how your sleep is,” he suggests. “Be sure you’re also relaxing before bed, keeping the lights low and sleeping in a cool, dark, comfortable bedroom for optimal results.”

Skip melatonin for sleep if …
Do not use melatonin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have an autoimmune disorder, a seizure disorder or depression. Talk to your health care provider if you have diabetes or high blood pressure. Melatonin supplements may also raise blood-sugar levels and increase blood pressure levels in people taking some hypertension medications."
-https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/melatonin-for-sleep-does-it-work

EverythingsHazy,

Schlumples

Resident Otter
I've not been diagnosed with anything but I do have trouble sleeping. Specifically I have trouble falling asleep. Once I manage to do so, I often sleep long and well but I can go for several nights on end without falling asleep until a late hour (despite going to bed early).

Cannabis does help a lot. My issue is tension and anxiety. My mind is always racing and I have a lot of trouble shutting it off. Cannabis an hour before bed or so, mixed with earbuds and a podcast is my best bet at a good night's sleep.

Chamomile is also awesome. Love it and find it helpful. Valerian honestly knocks me out but it often makes me nauseous, so I abstain except for nights where I really need a solid 8 hours of sleep.

Top Bottom