Toward compiling a state program comparison @ what works

hibeam

alpha +
I don't mean meds, I mean statutes and DOH regulations, business models, industry snags, and creative solutions...

Over at r/FLMedicalTrees we just started thinking about doing this to help our state to quit stepping on its tallywacker. I will be combing with search engines, but some of you here might have off-top-of-head sources etc. to check out. Thanks!

What works? What sucks?

Here we think our vertical integration of seed to sale and serial permitting perpetuate high prices and product shortages. We could be wrong ....

hibeam,
Reactions: C No Ego

anda1anda2

Some random thoughts as an IL mmj card holder.

I think the biggest issues here are an extremely limited number of covered conditions allowed to get a card, way too long of a proccess and wait time to actually get the card, and no employment protections for patients.

Some of this will fix itself as we move from an anti-cannabis governor to a pro-legalization one. The state legislature definitely needs to address the employment issue as that is an issue for many people.

As far as dispensaries and product goes, there is generally an OK selection of product and availability, but price is definitely an issue here. Sometimes more than double what I hear stuff goes for on the open market. On the plus side, our product testing requirements are strong, although I would like to see mandatory terpene analysis and better required info on packaging, especially with like edibles.

There is some vertical integration here with some companies owning stakes and licenses for both cultivation and distribution. From what I can tell, even if a dispensary is not owned by a grower, there are definitely sweetheart deals between some as there are obvious attempts to push some cultivators’ product over others.

Where supply is an issue, it seems like an artificially created situation to bump up price. The dispensary closest to me really only sells flower in gram and eighth amounts, unless it is popcorn or shake. There are no breaks for quantity, so $18-20/g and $55-60/eighth adds up quick.

The other thing is Illinois is likely to legalize recreational soon, so all these companies in the MMJ business are just here so they can be first out of the gate when rec hits. They are definitely using patients to advertise for them encouraging people to post on social media and giving small discounts for wearing dispensary gear when coming in to buy something.

Also, curious to see how the mmj program fairs after legalization. Sounds like that has been an issue in many of the states.

hibeam

alpha +
Some random thoughts as an IL mmj card holder.

I think the biggest issues here are an extremely limited number of covered conditions allowed to get a card, way too long of a proccess and wait time to actually get the card, and no employment protections for patients.

Some of this will fix itself as we move from an anti-cannabis governor to a pro-legalization one. The state legislature definitely needs to address the employment issue as that is an issue for many people.

As far as dispensaries and product goes, there is generally an OK selection of product and availability, but price is definitely an issue here. Sometimes more than double what I hear stuff goes for on the open market. On the plus side, our product testing requirements are strong, although I would like to see mandatory terpene analysis and better required info on packaging, especially with like edibles.

There is some vertical integration here with some companies owning stakes and licenses for both cultivation and distribution. From what I can tell, even if a dispensary is not owned by a grower, there are definitely sweetheart deals between some as there are obvious attempts to push some cultivators’ product over others.

Where supply is an issue, it seems like an artificially created situation to bump up price. The dispensary closest to me really only sells flower in gram and eighth amounts, unless it is popcorn or shake. There are no breaks for quantity, so $18-20/g and $55-60/eighth adds up quick.

The other thing is Illinois is likely to legalize recreational soon, so all these companies in the MMJ business are just here so they can be first out of the gate when rec hits. They are definitely using patients to advertise for them encouraging people to post on social media and giving small discounts for wearing dispensary gear when coming in to buy something.

Also, curious to see how the mmj program fairs after legalization. Sounds like that has been an issue in many of the states.

Thanks! Your prices are just like ours. We do have a really great catch-all clause in our statutes for any symptoms similar to those for the recognized conditions. For example, migraine is equated with severe pain experienced by cancer patients.

The standard exploitative business model, pushing high profit margin products on a desperate patient population is currently in control, but when one looks at the state fees, one can see more of what's behind the money grab.

Your flower seems less regulated than ours, but seeing your prices for it makes me think my fellow FL mmj patients are wrong to think when our flower comes out of those tamper proof proprietary pods it will be any cheaper.

Our new governor claims to be against recreational, but only days into his leadership, he went after our DOH restrictions saying they were not according to our referendum and the will of the people, especially in terms of the smoking ban and the flower pods, so maybe if we can get it on the 2020 ballot ... One very positive thing is opening the market for our choice of vaporizers.

Thanks so much for your summaries and views. I asked for my account to be deleted at FC, so if that actually happens you can still find me here: http://rotalot.com/giftshop/mmjblog.html

hibeam,
Reactions: C No Ego
Top Bottom