Titanium grinder

Varden

Hi

I'm in the look for a grinder and I was looking at SS grinders when I read there are titanium grinders. I want to avoid aluminium.

I want to ask the collective wisdom of the forum about, advantages, disadvantages, experience and opinions, recommendations...

They are supposed to be lighter than SS ones but what else? And what model would you recommend?

mcscruffy

In my experience with a titanium Aroma-3 the past half year, titanium has a few benefits over SS:

1) lighter, as you stated (almost half the weight of SS at 280g vs 480g for the Aroma)

2) non-reactive (ss is too)

3) non-toxic/inert - does not impart taste

4) stronger - teeth will stay sharper even longer, more dent and scratch resistant

Now the above are with regards to Grade-5 titanium. There are a few different types of titanium that have different traits and benefits.

The cost is crazy compared to SS and I'm telling you that from experience. Titanium is my spirit metal (I love it!) and I'm at a point in life I will pay premium for titanium just for my own sense of happiness. In the context of grinders, the main difference is going to be the weight. I doubt the SS teeth will dull much faster than the titanium over your life span. Unless you are set on titanium or really need the weight reduction, I would recommend SS as it is a much more logical choice.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The other difference I would mention when talking about the OMD titanium version is how it can be anodized to a certain color... That can make them very tempting as well! I don't think you would go wrong with a steel OMD or steel BCG though if not full titanium

mcscruffy

The other difference I would mention when talking about the OMD titanium version is how it can be anodized to a certain color... That can make them very tempting as well! I don't think you would go wrong with a steel OMD or steel BCG though if not full titanium
Very good point I missed! I anodized mine an electric blue which I love but it's worth noting if you got an Aroma in titanium the anodizing is not perfect... as in its not uniform in color with the oxide layer and can look splotchy in spots.

There's a ton of surface prep that goes into having the anodizing come out perfect and I can imagine it's difficult to do on the surface of these grinders.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh yeah that makes sense It's not going to be like aluminum, but still that can look cool too!

Apex I think there is a number maybe in the name is another one that has a thread here that makes fancy titanium two piece grinders engraved

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: mcscruffy
Top Bottom