This was on the front page of CNN's website:

darkrom

Great Scott!
So sad and so positive at the same time. I myself did the shift from recreational use, to now looking how I can benefit some of my more serious illness through cannabis use. It may not be a miracle drug, but whenever I can use it as opposed to other meds the side effects are ALWAYS less harmful.

grokit

well-worn member
VIDEO: Dr. Sanjay Gupta Publicly Renounces His Opposition to Marijuana, Apologizes for 'Misleading' Public
Weed does no harm, CNN doctor concedes.
weed_gupta.png

Photo Credit: Jeremy Nathan/Shutterstock.com
August 8, 2013 |

CNN's chief medical expert Sanjay Gupta announced Wednesday night that he has reversed his blanket opposition to marijuana use.

Speaking to Piers Morgan, Gupta, who has a documentary on weed airing on Sunday, said he had previously helped to "mislead" the American public about the effects of the drug.

"I have apologized for some of the earlier reporting because I think, you know, we've been terribly and systematically misled in this country for some time," he said. "And I did part of that misleading."

He also wrote an op-ed called "Why I Changed My Mind On Weed." In it, he said that, while he had formerly derided medical marijuana supporters, he had done research that had shown him how beneficial it could be:

I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."

They didn't have the science to support that claim, and I now know that when it comes to marijuana neither of those things are true. It doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works."

Watch the whole interview:​

Comments

Top Bottom