THC Vapour Bubbled Through Alcohol to Produce Tincture?

Bearman

Hi there
For a while now I've been experimenting with dissolving THC in alcohols and fats for ingestion, but I've always had the problem of plant matter and chlorophyll, etc. being dissolved in with it. I know it's possible to remove these from the mix but it would be much easier if they were kept separate from the start.

I've scoured the Internet looking for answers but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone here has tried doing this by using vapor? Perhaps by bubbling it through an alcohol or a fat? I couldn't find anything using the search but I may have missed something.

Thanks,
Andy

Bearman,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
hexane is another solvent that you can use that will pull out THC and not the chlorophyll. Just gotta make sure you evaporate all the solvent out. stuff is 'spensive though. and don't know about bubbling through it.

DevoTheStrange,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
I would just make some BHO and cook that into whatever you want / vape it / etc.

I couldnt find any info to back this up but im pretty sure extracting with butane extracts minimal plant matter.

Survivalism,

Trixer

Well first and for most,

What is your chemistry level here?

I would assume that you arent very good cause this isnt to much of a problem for an estiablished chemist (the problem is that not many chemist want to risk their careers by supporting this stuff, and I dont blame them)

As far as a poor mans method your best bet would just be using BHO, I dont see any reason to go any further then that as far as purity levels go.

You could distill it under a vacuum and that would probably yield decent results assuming you have an attention to detail and are mindful of basic chemistry stuff..

The problem here exists with what you know and what you feel comfortable using......

yeah you could yield pure THC from a basic lab glassware set, or you could use chomology, however glassware is something that is hard to keep in your house because if someone sees it they automatically assume your doing some illegal (which for the most part they are lol)

First off what kind of matials your wanting to use? If you have a full glassware set and can speak chemist I can give you a method that I have used....

If your looking to do it with a coffee pot on your stove your sadly mistaken though.

Bubbling it through a polar solvent is going to be tricky for the fact that most likely your still going to get the stuff you dont want with it... your best bet would be under vacuum so you can get the goodies to "come over" with out messing with the baddies.

Also for any chemist that has been properly trained or knowable, making chloroform isnt to much of a problem!

Its things like silver nitrate and shit that can become really hard (silver nitrate is often used to make mirrors and during its production if you breeze the brassy colored fumes it puts off.. you will die.. the problem is that you will fine until about 72 hours later.. when you will die...)

Trixer,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I'll stick my next out and risk an answer (have a 4 yr chem degree and have worked in a lab for over 19 yrs). What the OP states is possible. The difficulty is controlling the transfer from the vapor phase to the liquid phase. If it's a slow equilibrium, you would have to have the bubbles moving through a *long* column of ethanol/other solvent. Certainly possible, but then you have large volumes of alcohol to evaporate. And you could certainly jury righ a recirculating bubbler where the same volume of vapor has to pass several times through a given volume of extraction solvent (think modified soxhlet extractor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soxhlet_extractor

This is one of the extractor types I use.

But again, you are looking at evaporating large volumes of flammable liquid. Rotary thin film evaporation is pretty safe to remove excess solvent

http://suppliers.jimtrade.com/89/88924/71559.htm

This is something else I use regularly.

Bottom line; vape and be happy. What you suggest is possible, but not easy, cheap or necessarily safe.

Tom

tdavie,

Trixer

tdavie said:
I'll stick my next out and risk an answer (have a 4 yr chem degree and have worked in a lab for over 19 yrs). What the OP states is possible. The difficulty is controlling the transfer from the vapor phase to the liquid phase. If it's a slow equilibrium, you would have to have the bubbles moving through a *long* column of ethanol/other solvent. Certainly possible, but then you have large volumes of alcohol to evaporate. And you could certainly jury righ a recirculating bubbler where the same volume of vapor has to pass several times through a given volume of extraction solvent (think modified soxhlet extractor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soxhlet_extractor

This is one of the extractor types I use.

But again, you are looking at evaporating large volumes of flammable liquid. Rotary thin film evaporation is pretty safe to remove excess solvent

http://suppliers.jimtrade.com/89/88924/71559.htm

This is something else I use regularly.

Bottom line; vape and be happy. What you suggest is possible, but not easy, cheap or necessarily safe.

Tom
Yeah this is basically what I was wanting to say, I try to keep things a bit more simple with my replys just because Im not trying to go over peoples head. I have a four year degree in biochemistry, so I understand what your saying.

I recommended a vac because then he wouldnt be evaping such a large amount of flammables (at least I feel)

Trixer,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@Trixer You're 100% correct. I apologize if I sounded too technical. I've had a few serious accidents since working in a lab and just don't want to see anyone getting hurt (I've had one fire because I had improperly disposed of small pieces of Sodium, one small explosion because I improperly used a Hydrogenator and one hydrochloric acid splash in the face because I didn't vent a separatory funnel quickly enough).

Oh yes, and running everclear through an espresso maker to extract THC does not work :)

Tom

tdavie,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
A bong with shit load of diffusion and percs might make for a good solvent column.

bluntfaced,
so, iv been doing my research, and my expiriments, it seems to me like for your general populace, the best solution is to simply add your plant matter to a high proof alcohol ( i use 151) and simply reduce the liquids by a long slow "boil" in a double broiler, reducing it to either a dark green liquid, and adding to a drink, or unti;l all of the water vapor has been completly reduced and the alcohol is saturated with the resinious material, this can then be dried at low temp and then smoked, it is a VERY powerful concentraition, and probably about as powerful as your average citizen can get. though your average person doesnt have the kind of patience it takes, for a full distilation, or is likly to burn the S*** of this and make an unholly reak (not good in an apartment building i tell you what!)

leprechAUn nugz,

Sour Deez

I would just make BHO and use that to make your edibles and tinctures. You can do a second wash with ethanol to clean up the product even more.

Hexane is an option like stated. You can soak the material for hours and it still wont pick up the chlorophyll and whatnot like alcohol, just make sure you purge it properly since hexane evaporates at a higher temp then alcohol.

I seen someone make pills with decarbed bho, 100mg(.1) is suppose to be considered a good dose and 250mg(.25) an heavy dose for people with high tolerances only. And it lasts all day pretty much.

Sour Deez,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I would try bags.. Put a bit iso in a bag fill it up.. and then w8 till it is absorbed in liquor :). Are the vaporizer bags like the baking bags (made of transparent baking foil) ? I don't know if iso would leach some nasties off the bag regularly used for vapes like cano,aire,zephyr .. I might also experiment to cool down the bag with iso and vapor ,to see if it is absorbed faster .

Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom