Discontinued Sublimator XLR

creationdivine

friend dropped it on the carpet; I didn't know what to do besides to unplug the hot sub and take it into the bathroom to run it under the sink (on hot water).

It's still working after you ran it under water? I accidentally knocked mine over onto the carpet as well once and know about the stickiness of the carpet glue all too well. When it happened I just took my sub off the atomizer and let the glue burn off on the sub's highest setting. Once the glue gets melty you can wipe it off. Most of it should all burn off after an hour or so.

creationdivine,
It's still working after you ran it under water? I accidentally knocked mine over onto the carpet as well once and know about the stickiness of the carpet glue all too well. When it happened I just took my sub off the atomizer and let the glue burn off on the sub's highest setting. Once the glue gets melty you can wipe it off. Most of it should all burn off after an hour or so.

Thanks for the reply Creation. And yeah it still works, why would the water damage it??

Also I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's done this lol. So your sub is working fine now I take it, no taste or fiber-y smell?

I'm just so health paranoid I haven't even tried to inhale off of it since. But I've probably let it soak in ISO and sit on the highest 12 setting for a dozen hours or so now, hell it's even oxidized quite some now and is starting to look rainbow-y.

The carpet glue didn't wipe well, it literally caked itself on and I had to scrape it off with the cleaning too... which seemed to get most of it off, but I'm still slightly concerned about using it.

thenamefittz,
Well it looks like today I may take the plunge and try some dry inhales off the Sub to see how it feels... then maybe I'll try to put an actual bowl in it.

Sadly the things oxidized beyond belief now from leaving it on setting 12 for days to try to burn everything off :/

EDIT- When setting the hot heating element in the empty atomizer and inhaling through my bong, you can definitely taste something. This fact alone makes me hesitant to ever want to use the Sub again. Why would it have a taste???

Last edited:
thenamefittz,

TerrorTwist

Vapor Demon
Well it looks like today I may take the plunge and try some dry inhales off the Sub to see how it feels... then maybe I'll try to put an actual bowl in it.

Sadly the things oxidized beyond belief now from leaving it on setting 12 for days to try to burn everything off :/

EDIT- When setting the hot heating element in the empty atomizer and inhaling through my bong, you can definitely taste something. This fact alone makes me hesitant to ever want to use the Sub again. Why would it have a taste???
You could try using steel wool/spiral scours to scrape off any remains from the Sub. After that, you could soak it in OxiClean free/powdered brewers wash in boiling water for 10 mins or so to clean the atomizer and apollo/dabmaster head after you unscrew it from the handle first.

You could try using steel wool/spiral scours to scrape off any remains from the Sub. After that, you could soak it in OxiClean free/powdered brewers wash in boiling water for 10 mins or so to clean the atomizer and apollo/dabmaster head after you unscrew it from the handle first.

Thanks for the ideas. I scrapped off most visual residue with the included cleaning tool already, so I don't think I can accomplish much more with wool. I love the boiling water idea, as I'd prefer not to use any other chemical based cleaning approach. Even before it was dropped I noticed it always had a bad smell/taste the first few sessions after ISO soaking it (and this was after letting it self clean at 12 for an hour or so too).

But all this washing is really oxidizing the apollo/dabmaster head, and the heating element nail part (the thing the head screws on) is beyond ugly. The center of it all seems chalky and white and overall pretty unpleasant. I'm not sure if I could successfully wash this part of the heating element due to the close proximity to the wires and contact points inside it?

I'm considering buying a replacement heating element almost... I really don't want to do that but otherwise the rest of this investment is staying unused :/

thenamefittz,

TerrorTwist

Vapor Demon
But all this washing is really oxidizing the apollo/dabmaster head, and the heating element nail part (the thing the head screws on) is beyond ugly. The center of it all seems chalky and white and overall pretty unpleasant. I'm not sure if I could successfully wash this part of the heating element due to the close proximity to the wires and contact points inside it?

I clean the pointy ended heating element part of the wand you speak of. I like to detach it from the monkey controller and wrap a cloth around the plugin area. Then I hold it in a bowl of water that's been boiled along with OxiClean free and hold the pointy end of the wand in there for a few minutes or so. Finally, I rinse it carefully under the faucet then rub it dry with a cloth.

Last edited:
TerrorTwist,
Reactions: Poostuff

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
jojo monkey,
Reactions: Poostuff

C-weed

is the titanium sub worth the extra $?.....if I use flower 80% of the time and wax 20%....would the Apollo be noticeably stronger than the dabmaster for flowers?....I want the unit for both reasons....but my priority is the best heater for flower extraction....and finally, what glass perc is most preferable for a sub? a recycler or something with diffusion?

Poostuff

Please delete
is the titanium sub worth the extra $?.....if I use flower 80% of the time and wax 20%....would the Apollo be noticeably stronger than the dabmaster for flowers?....I want the unit for both reasons....but my priority is the best heater for flower extraction....and finally, what glass perc is most preferable for a sub? a recycler or something with diffusion?
I bought the Apollo SS head a couple of months ago, I don't know much about them & this is the only model I've tried so I can't offer any comparisons.
All I can tell you is mine turned that classy purple/blue colour which I thought only the Ti did.
I'm using a stereo matrix from DHgate, it's got a large can that the sub fills immediately & completely plus it's extremely stable.
Personally I think the only way you could go wrong is to not buy one, it's really fucking great. Huge hits with smooth vapor & the sublimate, which I thought I'd hate, is a bit of bonus & phenomenally strong.
I hope that helps...

Poostuff,
Reactions: Teedub

creationdivine

@C-weed I do not own an XLR 2.0, nor have I tried a dabmaster, but have an extensive and intimate relationship with the earlier version I bought in September 2013. I primarily use mine for herb and the occasional double decker to level-up. :) If you seek powerful vapor with face melting flavor you will be very pleased with the performance of the Apollo. The Ti Apollo is what I wish mine was. I would definitely get the titanium atomizer as well. It heats up a little faster than stainless steel and I imagine tastes better too. That isn't to say the SS sub doesn't soak the senses with intensely potent terpene blasts to the dome. Mine does, quite efficiently so!

I've considered upgrading to a new unit because of the Ti (and upgraded control box), though I can't justify spending that much more money with this company (quite yet!). My old unit is still rockin' and has a timer override feature :cool: which the XLR 2.0 does not.

As for glass, a piece that is sturdy and won't tip over with the weight of the sub. This may be another reason to consider Ti (lighter weight). If you're like me and seek out throat tingling hits, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how smooth the Sublimator is without water filtration. Dry is actually my preferred method, though I still use water because it's just hard to not watch the pretty bubbles.

Here is my set-up:

6s8wAuY.jpg

Hope that helps and sets you along your way to future subbin!

edit: formatting

Last edited:

C-weed

I thank you both for the feedback.....I will soon be adding a TI Apollo to my arsenal....is planet vape the best spot to purchase from?

C-weed,

Simplicius

Hey guys, I want to buy a Sublimator, but the Vapexhale Cloud Evo, as far as I can tell it's only real contender, has some really nice things going for it too. Can someone who owns, or has often used, both devices can give his opinion on this? It'd be much appreciated.

In my honest opinion, in terms of Design/Handling of the device and Reputation of the Company I don't see any good reason not to choose the cloud evo. Except of course the very vaild main arguments for the Sublimator, the flower/oil combo hits and most notably the umcomparable efficiency of extraction that is promised.

So my only real question would be, if the extraction and quality of the high is in fact uncomparable to, or at least levels above, what the Cloud Evo provides ? This would be the deciding factor in buying a sub and most important to know, since I'm looking for a vaporization device, that gives the same satisfaction I get from smoking a bong, but hopefully just cleaner.

By the way, I know the sublimator most likely has the most efficient "one hit extraction" possible. However, that wouldn't matter much too me if the cloud evo provides the same high after a normal 5-10 minute session.

I want to love the sublimator so bad, but it seems flawed and I just want to make sure, that it really is as magic as promised when compared to the other high level products in this category of desktop vapes.

Simplicius,
Reactions: vakedcow

fraktal

If you want the same satisfaction when you get from smoking a bong take the Sublimator, the Cloud Evo is most like you smoke a joint.

fraktal,

brucee10

Hey guys, I want to buy a Sublimator, but the Vapexhale Cloud Evo, as far as I can tell it's only real contender, has some really nice things going for it too. Can someone who owns, or has often used, both devices can give his opinion on this? It'd be much appreciated.

In my honest opinion, in terms of Design/Handling of the device and Reputation of the Company I don't see any good reason not to choose the cloud evo. Except of course the very vaild main arguments for the Sublimator, the flower/oil combo hits and most notably the umcomparable efficiency of extraction that is promised.

So my only real question would be, if the extraction and quality of the high is in fact uncomparable to, or at least levels above, what the Cloud Evo provides ? This would be the deciding factor in buying a sub and most important to know, since I'm looking for a vaporization device, that gives the same satisfaction I get from smoking a bong, but hopefully just cleaner.

By the way, I know the sublimator most likely has the most efficient "one hit extraction" possible. However, that wouldn't matter much too me if the cloud evo provides the same high after a normal 5-10 minute session.

I want to love the sublimator so bad, but it seems flawed and I just want to make sure, that it really is as magic as promised when compared to the other high level products in this category of desktop vapes.
I have both. My Evo is in storage and I don't see it escaping anytime soon. I like the 1 hit power and the durability of everything. My setup lets me dump in a small spoon full, take the hit, and then tap out the ABV into the ash tray in seconds. Adding in the dabbing abilities and the reclaim makes the Sub a no-brainer for me. My Evo was a mess of baskets and a resin covered hydratube that leaked water into the bottom chamber.

Justpassedu

Can you use your own glass pieces with the sub or is it required to purchase one from sub as a kit ?

Edit - The answer is yes after looking on my own , sorry

Last edited:

Tony Timeless

Can you use your own glass pieces with the sub or is it required to purchase one from sub as a kit ?

would be interested in this, too :)

But I am pretty sure that you can use your own glass, I found this offer here:
http://verdampftnochmal.de/products/de/vaporizer/adapt-a-sublimator-kit-xlr-20.html

(which I find interesting) and it seems like i can use these components with my glass (14mm or 18mm).

What I would like to know:
Am I right assuming that this device is pretty much unusable for someone having cats as a pet?
I really think the Sublimator would suit my need pretty good, but I have 2 cats and I am wondering if there might be a chance to use the sublimator in spite of this :)

I've read about a heat-shield ? But even with this the heating element could be extremely dangerous for pets, isn't it?

Tony Timeless,

Justpassedu

would be interested in this, too :)

But I am pretty sure that you can use your own glass, I found this offer here:
http://verdampftnochmal.de/products/de/vaporizer/adapt-a-sublimator-kit-xlr-20.html

(which I find interesting) and it seems like i can use these components with my glass (14mm or 18mm).

What I would like to know:
Am I right assuming that this device is pretty much unusable for someone having cats as a pet?
I really think the Sublimator would suit my need pretty good, but I have 2 cats and I am wondering if there might be a chance to use the sublimator in spite of this :)

I've read about a heat-shield ? But even with this the heating element could be extremely dangerous for pets, isn't it?
Yeah the adapt a kits let you mate them to your own glass and the heat shield looks like it will help but I wouldn't take any chances with animals around that like to knock things over. Looks like this machine can potentially start a fire if knocked over on to carpet or something. Maybe have a look at the Cloud Evo since it is mostly plastic and only the top of the unit gets very warm when in use , there is no metal that can start a fire or burn a cat. They can still get a burn possibly from any vape but the sub looks allot easier to achieve this. I don't own this so I cant really comment from experience , just looks wise.

Simplicius

I have both. My Evo is in storage and I don't see it escaping anytime soon.

Damn, that's heavy.

However, I think not all of what you're saying applies to me. Especially cause you don't seem to like the handling of the EVO, but I'm wondering about the difference in efficiency mostly.
I'm sure the sublimator has advantages in terms of extraction, but how serious are they ? How much higher does one normal sublimator hit make you, compared to a nicely filled ELB from the EVO ?

And I don't plan to buy a HT, I will just connect it to my bubbler via a whip.

Simplicius,

Tony Timeless

Yeah the adapt a kits let you mate them to your own glass and the heat shield looks like it will help but I wouldn't take any chances with animals around that like to knock things over. Looks like this machine can potentially start a fire if knocked over on to carpet or something. Maybe have a look at the Cloud Evo since it is mostly plastic and only the top of the unit gets very warm when in use , there is no metal that can start a fire or burn a cat. They can still get a burn possibly from any vape but the sub looks allot easier to achieve this. I don't own this so I cant really comment from experience , just looks wise.

Thanks Justpassedu!
You are right - pets and unattended vaporizers are a bad combination. For me having an E-Nano plugged all the day it has never been a problem so far. And i've had the possibility to actually test the EVO some months ago. I never left the Evo unattended but since the heat-up time from the sublimator is so much longer compared to the Evo I think it is essential to leave the sublimator plugged and therefore it is inevitable to get in situations where the device is unattended.

So, maybe someone with pets and this device can contribute here? Is there actually a chance to "safely place the device" when its hot? I hope you get what I mean ;)

zippy

Thanks Justpassedu!
You are right - pets and unattended vaporizers are a bad combination. For me having an E-Nano plugged all the day it has never been a problem so far. And i've had the possibility to actually test the EVO some months ago. I never left the Evo unattended but since the heat-up time from the sublimator is so much longer compared to the Evo I think it is essential to leave the sublimator plugged and therefore it is inevitable to get in situations where the device is unattended.

So, maybe someone with pets and this device can contribute here? Is there actually a chance to "safely place the device" when its hot? I hope you get what I mean ;)

I have 2 cats living with me that are semi feral. i have my Sublimator set up on a work bench,when its on the cats seem to know NOT to go anywhere near it.i think they can sense that it is something not to be investigated. My sub has been on almost daily for nearly 2 years and not one incident of cats getting involved.I have left the room and had it on , the cats follow me out the room, they dont want to know. When it is switched off they go on the work bench from time to time and they dont go near the sub....

Razor

Hey guys. Quick question. Have any of you found a reclaim catcher that catches at least most of the subliminate?

The best I've found is a solid stem with one outlet mixed with a sasquatch glass piece. The sasquatch piece has a hole above the exit hole of the stem so I'm not left with a glass piece filled with sublimate .... unless I wait a few months between cleaning. This includes sublimate formed from dabs.

How well does the actual sublimation glass and metal piece do in that area? Thanks.

Oo and cats can see heat. They can see ultraviolet I should say. That would probably be the reason that they don't go near the sub while hot. They can see the heated scent of what has gone through and its not appealing to them.

brucee10

Hey guys. Quick question. Have any of you found a reclaim catcher that catches at least most of the subliminate?

The best I've found is a solid stem with one outlet mixed with a sasquatch glass piece. The sasquatch piece has a hole above the exit hole of the stem so I'm not left with a glass piece filled with sublimate .... unless I wait a few months between cleaning. This includes sublimate formed from dabs.

How well does the actual sublimation glass and metal piece do in that area? Thanks.

Oo and cats can see heat. They can see ultraviolet I should say. That would probably be the reason that they don't go near the sub while hot. They can see the heated scent of what has gone through and its not appealing to them.
I have a reclaim catcher from Oregon Glass Blower and one from a guy on ebay who does customs. They both let a little oil into the tube between fittings and get fully coated in amber after a while. I'll take photos tonight after I do my water change.

Top Bottom