SST Steamroller

SixStringToker

Naked member
This is my first cut at the full-up Steamroller based on testing that I've been doing with the Steam Engine. Like the SE, it's an 18.5mm diffuser ball vape that uses a 20mm coil. The coil extends partially down over the bowl to add some conduction. I totally fubar'd the threads for the cap on this one. Rather than starting over from scratch, I just lopped off that section and added a screen groove - the testing must go on! The next build will have a cap so that I can further experiment with airflow and change balls more easily; this one will obviously be wide open. I've also left a bit of length below the coil so that I can experiment with extending the coil further down. The final build will very likely be shorter.

My goal with this build is to create a lightweight fairly nimble ballvape that mixes in a bit of conduction and responds quickly to temperature changes while operating at the lowest temps that I can get out of it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to temp-step with the Steamroller. One of my silly sub-goals is to get my typical darkest abv at 420°F; no particular reason other than the fact that I want to vape at 420.

Wall of Text:

Most of my work is done with a miniature metal lathe on my kitchen table. It allows me to quickly make and test changes. I can simply run a test by vaping a bowl, dump the balls, quickly modify the part on the lathe, refill the ball chamber and fire it up for further testing. I can retest a modified part within 30 minutes of deciding to modify it. There have been times where I've done 9 or 10 iterations in a single day!

These are some of the things that I will be experimenting with for this build:

• The diffuser interface. The seal on most diffusers is created by simply seating the top of the bowl against a surface up inside the vape (usually the bottom diffuser itself). As long as there is good metal-on-metal contact all the way around, there will be a decent seal. However, the slightest tilt of the head will introduce an air gap and break that seal; this is what happens with the majority of the diffusers currently on the market when the user places the head on the bowl and releases the handle. If the user is inhaling with enough force to create a vacuum (easily doable in most heads with 3mm balls), that air gap becomes a new viable air path, allowing cool air to travel up around and down into the bowl, completely bypassing the ball chamber and undoing some of our precious heating. The effects can range from barely detectable in an A/B comparison to VERY detrimental depending upon the head and the draw strength. Adding a taper to the bowl walls and the inside diffuser walls so that the interface is more like a traditional joint with the bowl being male and the head being female has fixed this. It ensures a 100% seal AND significantly increases the surface contact between the head and the bowl, allowing for much better heat transfer.

• How far down past the rim of the bowl the coil extends. This has an effect on the level of conduction in a hit. Extending the coil further down increases the active heating of the bowl. Too far down and the conduction will ramp up high enough that it’s hard for the convection to keep up… and we get brown-ring.

I've spent quite a bit of time playing with the conduction/convection balance with the Steam Engine. 100% conduction is not really viable with this setup (and also not something that I really want), due in part to the 18.5mm bowl diameter. Since the radiant heat is only coming in from the sides, by the time the center of the bowl reaches vaporization temperatures, the outside edges will be charred. 16 to 17mm would probably be better for that.

• The distance from the rim of the bowl to the screen. This has similar effects to changing how far down the coil extends, but there are subtle differences since the proximity of the herb bed to the diffuser is also changing. If the herb bed is too close to the diffuser, the top of the herb bed can end up getting scorched from direct radiant heat.

• Restriction. While I prefer the feel of a more open hit, I’m finding that I prefer the vapor when there’s some restriction in the draw. Not entirely sure what it is… it feels smoother? This particular build is obviously going to be wide open, but I already have a couple of caps made with different hole configurations... I just need to maybe stop f'ing up the threads!

• Ball chamber size (total height). More balls = more calories. But more calories does not necessarily equate to better performance. Most of the ball vapes on the market right now store significantly more calories than the typical user burns through in a bowl. Still... “MOR BALLS!!!” seems to be the approach that a lot of makers are taking. I say “Less Balls, More Engineering!”

• Ball chamber wall thickness (also affects the chamber size). This is the interface between the balls and the heater coil. The thicker the walls, the longer it will take for heat to transfer from the coil to the balls and the less responsive / more lethergic the vape will become. Responsive heads with thin walls will heatsoak much more quickly and can actually recover lost calories DURING a hit. I have a highly responsive head with ~125 3mm balls that can easily plow through 0.5g of herb with no problem; it’d likely do more but that’s all I can comfortably fit into my rtiti bowl. With a responsive enough ball vape, it’s possible to do temp stepping.

• Ball size. In a nutshell, the smaller the balls, the more surface area inside the ball chamber, the more quickly the heat calories get released. The total thermal mass itself doesn’t change that significantly with different ball sizes, but the speed at which the calories get released DOES. A ball vape loaded up with 1.5mm rubies is a scorchy mf’er that’s hard to control because the heat is released so quickly; like vaping with a laser! This is similar to what we see with different ball materials; size-for-size (and “more-or-less”) sic behaves like smaller rubies while zirconia behaves like larger rubies and the effects on the roast profile (and thus the overall flavor) will be similar. Roast profile and flavor is a whole different discussion.

• Ball material / shape. I stick mostly with ruby balls for consistency. The "flavor effects" from the other materials comes mostly from how they hold and release heat, which effectively changes their "roast profile". We can effectively get these same results by mixing in some ruby balls of different sizes. This can also affect the draw resistance, so there ARE some differences there, but I'm still content to stick with rubies. As for round vs gemcut stones... I prefer round, at least over the typical brilliant cut stones. Size-for-size, brilliant-cut stones offer more total surface area in the ball chamber and the potential for better heat transfer but they can also stack irregularly and create areas of uneven airflow within the ball chamber, resulting in uneven extraction; shaking the head will usually rearrange the stones and fix the problem, but 'tis annoying! Now as for faceted rondelle cut stones... THOSE interest me and I plan to do further testing with them.
Note that all of the vapes I make are for my own personal use. I have no plans to release any of these commercially. I just like to tinker and want the perfect vape "for me." Who better to give that to me than... me!? I'll post here as I play around more with the design.

Here's a clip of the smaller Steamroller in action (it's a bit further along it its development cycle):

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cool! I saw you mentioning this on discord and wasn't sure exactly what it was, didn't realize you were using your own PID ball vape these days, none of the ones that are available now on the market after all... Looks like a very nice design, although perhaps this belongs in the DIY section if you never plan to make more and sell them ever...?

SixStringToker

Naked member
20230718_214537.jpg

That stuck Steamroller cap is no match for my wrenches! :D

This is one of two caps that I'm currently playing with; the other has all of the holes drilled out. I started pilot holes for all of the holes so that I can easily drill them out to test different draw restriction levels. I did these on a small drill press and actually used a t360 cap as my drill alignment jig.

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
@SixStringToker
I am curious as to how it works without any heat soaking of the bowl or herb?
Load and hit the moment the head is down.
Still similar results?
That's one advantage to the bowl walls being so thin - they get heat saturated VERY quickly; kinda like the s&b capsules that are too hot to touch half a second after you drop them into the hot chamber. A heat soak can still be beneficial, but it really only takes like 10 to 15 seconds.

20230724_071450.jpg

20230724_072231.jpg

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
I got distracted with an earlier Steamroller build this weekend. This one had been retired to the graveyard due to a couple of flaws in the diffuser design that keep it from getting a 100% seal. I'd pulled it from the graveyard to use as a tetherless head where one of those flaws was not an issue (the head sitting on the bowl at a slight angle) but I don't think tetherless is for me... so I tightened a coil around it and will probably use it for testing balls since it still performs decently enough.

Here it is at 350°F as a tongue-in-cheek response to a post on discord:

And another 0.3g bowl @ 420°F:

lazylathe

Almost there...
I've been testing smaller doses in the Steamroller this weekend. This is 0.05g @ 435°F with my big 2mm ruby balls:

Finally a more realistically sized bowl of flower!!

Few questions though!
Why does it experience close to 40 degree drop in temperature so quickly?
Seems like you have to wait for the temp to recover before taking your hit?
Is this to give the whole system a chance to heat soak, the bowl and flower?
What does an instant hit look like with that amount? Load, place head and inhale as soon as the head is on the bowl.

Just trying to figure out how much conduction your vape requires to work with the addition of convection air from the beads.

lazylathe,
Reactions: Cheebsy

SixStringToker

Naked member
Finally a more realistically sized bowl of flower!!

Few questions though!
Why does it experience close to 40 degree drop in temperature so quickly?
Seems like you have to wait for the temp to recover before taking your hit?
Is this to give the whole system a chance to heat soak, the bowl and flower?
What does an instant hit look like with that amount? Load, place head and inhale as soon as the head is on the bowl.

Just trying to figure out how much conduction your vape requires to work with the addition of convection air from the beads.
It's because the temperature sensor is close to the tip of the coil which is wrapped around the veeeery thin-walled "skirt" portion of the housing where there's no thermal load. When the head makes contact with the metal bowl, the heat will immediately start dumping out of the thin walls of the head into the thin walls of the bowl. I actually take advantage of this with my low-ball-count responsive heads to ensure that the controller has stepped up the duty cycle before I start my hit. This lets the head recoup some of the spent calories during the hit, allowing it to perform as if it had a bigger ball chamber.

Temperature-wise, there's not much actually happening within the ball chamber at this point. In fact, some earlier testing that I did with a thermal probe poked inside the ball chamber of my Ballcap vape (shovelhead bowl mod) indicates that the temperature within the ball chamber can actually go up during the bowl soak because the controller has ramped up the duty cycle in response to the temp drop at the end of the coil even tho the drop hasn't reached the ball chamber yet - so it's pouring more calories into the chamber before any really start getting pulled out.

I'll try to capture a couple of different hits with 0.05 and 0.1g bowls tonight. No soak 1-hitter, 15s soak 1-hitter, 2-hitter that starts with no soak but leaves the head on the bowl thru to the second hit, so that the first is convection while the second has a conduction assist... and anything else I can think of. :D

I'm really happy with the low dose performance. I've done as little as 0.025g with like 40% of the screen fully exposed and still had a decent roast. I was thinking that I'd use the mini steamroller with the 16mm bowl for micro-dosing, but that seems kind of unnecessary now.

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
Probably won't get my abv piles until the weekend. I'll probably do a brief video clip of each hit and the abv in the bowl and throw them together in a montage. I did get a couple photos of the before and after of a 0.05g bowl roasted at 440°F, tho. Here's a little clip of the "before" fading into the "after":

That was with no heatsoak; I started my draw as soon as I put the head on the bowl.

Top Bottom